Software testing interview questions
Most of the professionals in the Software Testing & Quality Assurance world must be
aware of IBM's Rational Functional Tester, popular by its nick name - RFT.
IBM's Rational Functional Tester is most powerful next generation functional-testing and
automation tool from Rational and is based upon object-oriented technology. Due to its
extreme simplicity & robustness, It is in great demand all across the industry involved in
Application Development & Testing.
A beginning has been made to bring out High Quality Interview Questions on Rational
Functional Tester 7.0 (RFT), generally used by the interviewers in leading MNC's.
Few of such Questions are presented here:
Q. 1: What is the use of Rational Functional Tester?
Rational Functional Tester can be used for performing following functions:
1) Doing the complete functional testing of the application.
2) Recording and playing back of scripts navigating through the application and test the
state of objects through verification points.
3) Testing any object in the application, including the object's properties and its data.
4) Creating and editing simple object-oriented test scripts.
5) Generating code through wizards, for example automatically creating a verification
point through wizard.
Q. 2: What is the Process of test automation by using Rational Functional Tester?
Test automation process using RFT involves following three steps.
1) Recording of Test Scripts: is done on the fly, as users navigate the application.
Verification points can be inserted to validate the system response. This makes test
scripts data-driven to enable execution of the same script on variety of data inputs.
2) Enhancing the Test Scripts: Enhancements like conditional branching, refactoring, and
exception handling are done in test scripts to perform various additional functions..
3) Playing Back the Scripts: Executing the scripts on the application under test to emulate
all actions as already performed by the user during recording. Logging of the
discrepancies and drawing conclusion as to whether application functioned as desired or
some regression isues need to be addressed.
Q. 3: Functional Tester is available for how many development platforms & Languages?
RFT is available in two integrated development environments and two scripting
1) Functional Tester- Java Scripting uses the Java language and the IBM Rational
Software Development Platform.
2) Functional Tester - VB.NET Scripting uses the VB.NET language and the Microsoft
Visual Studio .NET development environment.
Q. 4: How various objects by identified in Rational Functional Tester?
In Rational Functional Tester object-oriented technology is used to identify various
objects by their internal object properties and not by their screen coordinates. Thus even
If the location or text of an object changes, Functional Tester can still find it on playback.
Q. 5: What is the utility of a test object map in Rational Functional Tester?
Test object map gets created automatically while recording the script for the application-
under-test. It provides a quick way to add objects to a script.
It lists out the test objects available in the application, whether they are currently
displayed or not.
We can create a new test object map, either by basing it on an existing map or by adding
objects as required.
It contains recognition properties for every object, hence we can update the recognition
information in one central location. Thus any scripts using this test object map shall be
able to share the updated information.
Test object maps created for HTML applications are generally more hierarchical than
those created for Java applications. The top level of the test object map is a browser and
the HTML application is inside the browser.
You also find more interview questions at blog: http://toughinterviewquestion.wordpress.com