QBasic How To
There are three files you need to run QBasic. Make sure they are all in the same
directory (and same folder if you use a folder). Those three files are
The programs are files that end in .bas.
1) To start QBasic
a) Put the three files mentioned above on your disk, not in a directory. (You can
change this at home. You ‘ll just have to change directories and folders in step 2
below to get to the folder where QBasic is.)
b) If you have Windows XP, skip b and go on to c.
i) Open an MSDosPrompt screen
ii) Type a:\qbasic
iii) Skip c and go on to d
c) If you have Windows XP, you’ll do Start, Run, and Browse to find qbasic.exe.
2) Once QBasic is started, you’ll see a dialog box such as that below:
3) Press Esc unless you would like to go to the Help Screens.
4) Choose File, then Open
5) Run a file by choosing Run on the menu or pressing F5.
6) There are tutorials on using QBasic on the web. Here’s one:
7) There are several sample programs at