Faults and Earthquakes
1. Fracture - ________________________________________________.
2. Fractures form when _____________, the forces per unit area acting on
a material, exceeds the strength of the rocks involved.
3. The deformation of materials in response to stress is called
4. Stress and Strain ultimately lead to a fracture of system of fractures,
along which movement occurs, this is called a __________________.
Types of Faults
5. Faults Are Classified According to the _________________________
That Occurs on Them.
Strike-Slip - _______________________________
Dip-Slip – _______________________________
Normal Faults: _______________________
Reverse Faults: _______________________
• Reverse Faults are often called Thrust Faults
6. Most Earthquakes are caused by
7. Most Earthquakes occur
8. The location within the earth where a fault rupture actually occurs
is called the __________________.
9. The location on the surface directly above the focus is called the
10.The vibrations of the ground during an earthquake are called
11.Seismology – ______________________________________________
12.The sensitive instruments used to record the vibrations of earthquakes
are called ________________________________________________.
13.The record produced by a seismometer is called a
This shows the arrival times of the different seismic waves at that
14.Primary waves or P-waves ___________________________________
15.Secondary waves, or S-waves _________________________________
16.P-waves are ___________________________.
Remember P comes before S in the alphabet.