NLANR Measurement and
Network Analysis Group Activities
Passive Measurement and Analysis (PMA) project
(Passive traffic collection and analysis at optical carrier speeds)
• Completely noninvasive, no impact on forwarding paths
• Aggregated traffic signature at a measurement point
• OC3/OC12, ATM and PoS
• Between June 2000 and Jan 2001 (7 months) 6,000 PMA trace
files were downloaded (31 per day) from at least 193 different
• Trace analysis summaries include (total packets, Bytes, top port
numbers by volume, top 100 throughput connections, etc.)
3 September 2010 measurement and network analysis -- 2
Passive measurement deployment status
U. of Michigan
STARTAP/APAN Michigan State U.
U. Colorado, Boulder Argonne Nat. Lab Ohio
Front Range GigaPoP State U. Columbia U.
Indiana State Old Dominion U.
U. Memphis North Carolina State U.
U. of North Carolina
SDSC, U. California, San Diego Duke U.
Tel Aviv U.
Rice U. (I-2)
Baylor College of Medicine U. of Florida
FDDI U. of Houston Miami U.
OC3 ATM Texas A&M U. Florida State U.
OC12 PoS 26 September 2000
3 September 2010 measurement and network analysis -- 3
Internet Trace User Community
• Led by Joerg Micheel
• We are seeking constructive discussion on monitor placement
strategies, trace duration, trace variety, etc.
• For example, a number of researchers have requested longer
duration traces. As a result, a set of passive traces from
Auckland that consists of single and multiple day duration
traces were made available. Researchers have published at least
7 papers based on those traces.
• Which PMA trace summaries are most helpful in allowing
other researchers to choose from available trace data sets?
3 September 2010 measurement and network analysis -- 4
Active Measurement Project (AMP)
• Led by Tony McGregor
• Focus on site-to-site measurement across high performance networks
• Attempt to deploy FreeBSD-based AMP machines at all HPC sites
• about 120 machines currently deployed and operational
• RTT, topology, and loss; user/event driven throughput
• We currently measure RTT to each of the other monitors every
minute and the route to each every 10 minutes
3 September 2010 measurement and network analysis -- 5
Active measurement deployment status
Oregon State Montana State UWisc- MTU UVermont
SDSMT URochester Dartmouth
Iowa UIowa Startap WSU NTNU
UWyoming NWU UMich UMass BU MIT
State UIC FNAL PSU UConn Harvard
ColoState NCSA CMU/PSC UDel UPenn
NCAR UIUC IU UMBC Princeton
WVU UMd JHUNSF ACCESS
UCBoulder Kansas State UC
UMissouri GMU Georgetown
Stanford UKansas UVirginia ODU
SLAC Oklahoma State WUSTL
UCSC UTK NCREN/NCSC
UCLA UofOklahoma UNC-CH Duke
UC-Irvine CSUPomona ASU UNM UAH GATech
SDSC UCSD Mississippi UofGeorgia
UArizona Emory U.
SDSU NMSU UAB
UWaikato 23 February 2000
3 September 2010 measurement and network analysis -- 6
3 September 2010 measurement and network analysis -- 7
Cichlid 3-D Visualization System
•Transforms raw data into high-quality 3-D images and
animations which can be explored and viewed from different
perspectives (zoom, fly through, etc.)
•Real-time visualizations of remote data sets, as bar graphs
(NURBS, tri-strip) and vertex-edge images, etc.
•OpenGL-based tool; distributed server/client system
•Created by Jeff Brown of the NLANR group
3 September 2010 measurement and network analysis -- 8
Cichlid “tristrip” image (from bar graph)
3 September 2010 measurement and network analysis -- 9