Cosmetology: Esthetician Option
What is an Esthetician?
• An Esthetician is a person who is trained, licensed and devoted to providing professional preventive care
for the health and beauty of the skin.
When are the classes held?
• Fall Semester (August) COSME 60 Basic Esthetician Theory 5 Credits
COSME 60L Basic Esthetician Lab 5 Credits
• Spring Semester (January) COSME 70 V Advanced Esthetician Theory 5 Credits
COSME 70L Advanced Esthetician Lab 5 Credits
• Summer [classes may be offered in the summer at the summer school rate.]
Where are the classes held?
• Classes are held at: Honolulu Community College
Cosmetology Department, Bldg. 27
874 Dillingham Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96817
How do I get into the program?
1. Contact the Cosmetology Department at 845-9132 and indicate that you are interested in enrolling for the
2. When you are notified by the Cosmetology Department, submit the following items to the Admissions
• University of Hawai’i System Application Form if you are not a continuing student at HCC. If you
are now attending another community college, you will have to fill out a Change of Home
Institution Form. Indicate your major is cosmetology.
• Two copies of your high school diploma/transcript or its equivalent. One will be given to
Admissions and the second to the Cosmetology department who needs to file it with the State
Board Licensing Examination.
• A copy of your TB (Tuberculosis) that must be current within the past year if you are returning to
HCC and MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) shot records must be submitted to the Health Office.
*Contact the Health Office to verify your status or if you need more information at 845-9282.
3. Placement in English 22/60 or completion of English 20 B, C, D and E is required for the Esthetician
courses. Your placement test score must have been taken within the past year. If it has been longer you
will need to take the placement test over again.
How much do the courses cost?
• Resident tuition is $47.00 per credit hour plus student fees. Non-Resident tuition is $242.00 per credit
hour plus student fees.
• A student working kit that cost about $300.00 will be required. A white lab coat and covered soft sole
shoes are required upon enrollment.
• Textbooks purchased for the first class will be used throughout the entire course. The price of textbooks
can be found at the Bookstore, 845-9105. Handouts and supplemental materials may be provided during
• Tuition for summer classes will cost more than the normal semester tuition. Check for current rates.
• Instructor’s approval is required to enroll in any Esthetician courses.
• A student WILL NOT be given permission to start after the second day of class.
• You must attend and successfully pass COSME 60 and 60L before enrolling in COSME 70 V and 70L.
• The degree earned upon completing the 20 credits will be a Certificate of Competence (CC).
• In order to qualify for the State of Hawaii licensing exam, a minimum of 600 hours in Esthetics training is
required and a high school diploma or its equivalent.
• Honolulu Community College observes all State holidays.
For further information regarding the Esthetician course and curriculum, please contact the Cosmetology
Department at (808) 845-9132. For questions about the admissions process, please contact the Admissions Office
at (808) 845-9129 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Tuition and fees are subject to change Rev: June 04