Botany and Zoology are two of the main branches of Biology. In this activity, we will examine a
number of different branches and careers that are included in the study of Biology.
Using the internet, search to find the name of the area of biology.
1. the study of heredity _________________ 7. the relationships among organisms and their
2. the structure and function of cells.
__________________________ 8. the body's defense against disease and
3. animal behavior. _____________________ ______________________
4. the physical structure of humans or other 9. microscopic
5. the scientific classification of 10. the functions of organs and organ systems
6. the chemical processes within
Search for the meaning of the following branches of biology . . .
Examples of Other Areas of Biology:
Economic Zoology Nematology
Marine Biology Oncology
Career Exploration: Use the internet to research the following questions.
1. What does a biologist do?
2. List 4 examples of organizations that might hire a biologist.
3. How might biology be useful in your technical area?
1. Select a branch of biology (only one branch per student). Record your choice on the board.
2. Research the selected area of biology.
3. What do these people study?
4. What do you call people who study this branch of biology?
5. Give an example of a career related to this area.
6. Why is this branch of biology important to us?
After you have completed your research, open up a word document and create a branch of
biology poster. (11 x 17 size)
Print out and hand - in (if you would like to print in color --> please notify Mrs. K. or Mrs. A.
Be ready to present to the class