PRE-AP BIOLOGY REVIEW SHEET: BIOCHEMISTRY PART 2
You are responsible for knowing all the information in your notes. This review sheet goes
over major concepts and facts but does NOT cover everything on the test.
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE REVIEW SHEET ON THE TEST.
Major terms to know:
Define the following terms by using the key words & phrases to memorize.
8. active site
9. enzyme specificity
_____ catabolic process
_____ anabolic process A HYDROLYSIS
_____ loss of water B. DEHYDRATION SYNTHESIS
_____ gain of water
_____breaks molecules apart
_____ puts molecules together
Match the diagram with the type of molecule it represents.
_____ nucleic acid
_____ amino acid
A. B. C.
D. E. F.
MOLECULE BASIC FORMULA FUNCTION EXAMPLES
MOLECULE 2 EXAMPLES OF EACH
MOLECULE Monomers FUNCTIONS
Neutral fat _______________________
(triglyceride) ______ fatty acids
______ fatty acids
Steroids ______ carbon rings
Monomer Components of Polymer
Amino acid Carbon
-NH2: ____________________ group
-COOH: __________________ group
R: _______________________ group
Nucleotide 5 carbon sugar either ________________
1. If you have 2 monosaccharides with the formulas C6H12O6 and you put them together
to make a disaccharide, why is the disaccharide’s formula C12H22O11 instead of being
2 times C6H12O6?
2. What makes the difference between a molecule being hydrophilic and hydrophobic?
3. What is the difference between triose, pentose, and hexose sugars?
4. Why do phospholipids arrange themselves this way in your cell membrane?
5. Which type of fat is this (saturated or unsaturated)? How can you tell? What
differences does this cause?
6. Why should you take vitamins ADEK with food?
7. Functional proteins depend on their _________________________ to do their job.
They are held in shape by _____ bonds. Extremes in either ____________________
or _________________ can disrupt these _______ bonds causing the
___________________ site to be destroyed. The enzyme cannot do its function.
When this happens, it is caused protein ____________________________________.
You also need to study:
Sections 2.3 & 2.4 in your textbook (pages 44-53)