Service Oriented Architecture
Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration
(FMCSA) Mission: Reduce highway deaths, crash
injuries, and injury severities by collecting crash data
and disseminating a statistically accurate database to
be used (1) by Government in creating regulations
and legislation and (2) by industry to improve the
crashworthiness of vehicles and increase the ability of
vehicles to avoid crashes
• The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
(FMCSA) has identified a significant need to transform
the way the agency collects, manages, and conveys
• Develop and support a system that (1) allows motor
vehicle safety information accessible to FMCSA staff as
well as motor carriers. To modernize its current
information technology portfolio
How will COMPASS help?
Technical Approach: Five-year project:
• Implement modernization enhancements to all FMCSA
• Provide technical support to the system and to all motor
carrier field and headquarters staff.
• Implement new technology to allow FMCSA staff to
conduct business. The new technology will utilize Service
Oriented Architecture (SOA) web portal technology.
• COMPASS Architecture will become FMCSA’s Enterprise
Architecture of the future.
• Generate new Enterprise Database for new systems.
FMCSA IT Division Senior IT Leadership Program Office
Leadership Management System Ownership Management ESC, CPB, ECCB
COMPASS Program CAG
Program CSA 2010
Organizational Chart Management FITSG
4/3/2006 v10 Jeff Hall Legacy
Contract Development Business Security
Management Management Management Management
TBD Ed Dunne Denise Baker Bill Few DOT IT Consolidation
Application Knowledge Budget FMCSA HQ
Communications Infrastructure OST/OMB Reporting FMCSA Field
Support Transfer/Training Finance
Management Management Management States
Management Management Management
Bill Coleman Steve Erlitz Angeli Sebastian Public
Janet Curtis Bill Coleman Angeli Sebastian
COMPASS Program Manager, IT Development Team, IT Business Requirements Team, IT Security Team Program
IT Planning Division, IT Project Management Division, IT Operations Division
IT Service Providers – SAIC, RSIS, Volpe, NDSU, COTS
Component Partners of
FMCSA VOLPE, NDSU, ETC.
FMCSA Application Architecture
Connection Type Key* I = Web Site or
Federal Infrastructure Systems Distributed to State, Roadside, and/or Federal Facilities 1 - Dial-up Web-enabled
1 2 - AAMVANet Frame-Relay
4 3 – Wireless to Volpe Direct = Central Systems
ProVu 7, 8 7 4 - FTS 2001/WAN
8 5 – Internet via VPN/IPSec Client = Office Systems
10 6 - Internet via Persistent VPN
7 8, 10 7 - CD-ROM/Diskette/File Copy
CAPRI UFA = Field Systems
8 - LAN
1 9 - Written Report/Verbal
I = Web Sites
5 10 – Machine Local
Pay.Gov Website 9
VUU 11 – Internet HTTP(S)
= External Systems
S – Determined by State
I 4 7, 10 *Key is located nearest to system initiating data exchange
I 7, 8
8 EMIS 8
Info Sys ASPEN 10
Tech Support 1 1 1
Nat Trng Ctr 2 2 10 2 2
Gotham 3 3 3 3
4 4 4 4
CVISN 5 5 ISS 6 6
Mgmt Info Portal I 6 6
SAFE Home Page Query 7 HMPIP
8 2, 4, 5, 6
Share Road Safely
4 Central 8 Client
MX MC Info 8 4 SAFETYNET 2000 S
1, 2, 4, 5, 6 Blizzard
I CVIEW 4 State
EDMS 6 Unique
CDLIS 1 6 Systems
TML / CDLIS Software Pointer System
SAFER / PRISM Central Site HMPIP
8 8 I 8 Central
CDLIS Mexican SCT MCMIS 4 I
L&I SAFER PRISM Site
Support to FMCSA Systems
SYSTEM Appl Dev & Maint Infrast. Hosting Tech. Help Desk
A&I X X
CAPRI X X
COMPASS X X
E-Auth X X X
EDMS X X X
EMIS X X X
FMCSA (web sites) X
GOTHAM X X
HMPIP X X X
INFOSYS X X
L&I X X X
MCMIS X X X
QC X X
SAFER X X X
SAFETYNET X X
TOTALS 8 15 21
COMPASS High Level Architecture
Volpe’s Role on Compass
• Provide FMCSA with quality technical assistance, CM Control,
Help Desk functions, and knowledge support of the Existing
• Analyze and recommend technical solutions.
• Host a secure and efficient computing platform.
• Manage the COMPASS repository for all code, files, scripts,
• Analyze, generate, and implement an integrated
Configuration Management plan working with SAIC and other
FMCSA service providers.
• Work with SAIC to implement the new technology.
• Provide liaison capabilities to the Existing Systems
• Manage the Compass Integration Environment (CIE) to provide FMCSA
and the System Integrator (SAIC) with controlled access to the current
operational environments and the documentation and software that
underlie that environments.
• Design, develop, and implement (as part of the CIE) all necessary
environments to be used to integrate new capabilities developed by SAIC
and to maintain the existing COMPASS systems.
• Review SAIC’s planning and technical products and advise the FMCSA
Program Manager as to their quality, completeness, and adequacy.
• Generate an integrated Configuration Management (CM) plan for the
• Host and manage the Compass technical platform (development (O&M –
Future, QA/UAT, Production).
• Provide a secure and efficient computing platform.
• Provide FMCSA and SAIC with whatever support is requested.
Kun Wang Jeff Mullen
Luke Ho Wei Gao
YEAR 1 YEAR 2
Qtr1 Qtr2 Qtr3 Qtr4 Qtr1 Qtr2
Enforcement R7 EMIS
Prioritization R8 SafeStat
Release 1 R1 Remove Selection & Assign –
MCMIS & SAFETYNET
R9 ISS, ASPEN, PIQ, Query Central,
Inspection R9 CDLIS Access and Inspections in
Full Public Access R2
R2 Remove Public MCMIS/SAFETYNET
Facing web (except
Build Streamline Registration R3
Sync. Data from COMPASS to Remove Registration
in MCMIS and L&I
Crash R11 MCMIS & SAFETYNET retired
Load data to COMPASS
Regulatory Compliance Monitoring R4
L&I and monitoring Data Exchange R12 SAFER & PRISM
Business Monitoring R13
Data Warehouse R6 Reporting in
Gotham and A&I
Wireless Pilot HM Package Inspection R15
The Future of Compass
• Continue to work with FMCSA and SAIC on tasks
associated with the Compass Road Map.
• Work with the FMCSA systems providers to
implement the CM Plan.
• Build more efficient systems capabilities and retire
the existing systems based on road map.
• Implement COMPASS Release 1 including the
• Secure Volpe’s future involvement in the COMPASS
The Goal of Service Oriented
The Goal of Service Oriented Architecture
Make I.T. more flexible…
…And enable application re-use.
What is …..?
… a service? … service orientation?
A way of integrating your
A repeatable business as linked
business task – e.g., services
check customer credit; and the outcomes that
open new account they bring
… service oriented … a composite
architecture (SOA)? application?
An IT architectural A set of related &
style that supports integrated services that
service orientation support a business
process built on an SOA
Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
CURRENT SOA Service
• COMPASS utilizes SOA to provide services for
Single Sign-ON to existing systems.
• Depending upon Business needs
• Work with CSA 2010 project team to define
How Does COMPASS use SOA?