STUDY SHEET FOR THE 5TH GRADE END OF THE YEAR TEST
A sacrament is an outward sign instituted by Christ to give grace.
SACRAMENTS OF INITIATION Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation
SACRAMENTS OF HEALING Reconciliation, and Anointing of the Sick
SACRAMENTS OF SERVICE Matrimony and Holy Orders
1. I am the Lord your God. You shall honor no other God but me.
2. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.
SEVEN SPIRITUAL WORKS OF MERCY SEVEN CORPORAL WORKS OF MERCY
1. admonish the sinner 1. feed the hungry
2. instruct the ignorant 2. Give drink to the thirsty
3. counsel the doubtful 3. Clothe the naked
4. comfort the sorrowful 4. Shelter the homeless
5. bear wrongs patiently 5. Visit the imprisoned
6. forgive injuries 6. Visit the sick
7. pray for living and the dead 7. bury the dead
WORDS AND DEFINITIONS
Alleluia/Hosanna – Sign of joy to praise. Like yelling Yeah!!!
Amen – So be it. I agree
Emmanuel – Name for Jesus, means God is with us.
Creed – Statement that says what we believe
Apostle’s Creed – Prayer that says what Catholics believe
Mystery – Something we do not understand
Pascal – Another word for Easter
Paschal Mystery – Jesus dying and rising from the dead
Altar – Table of the Lord where the Liturgy of the Eucharist is celebrated.
Gospel – Good news about Jesus
Mediator – Someone who is the middle person between 2 persons or groups.
After Jesus returned to His Father, He sent the Holy Spirit to the Apostles on Pentecost.
The Pope is the successor of Peter and the visible head of the Church on Earth.
Priests and deacons are the Church's ordained leaders.
Jesus is the mediator between God and people.
The Liturgical year begins on the first Sunday of Advent.
Advent is when we prepare to celebrate Christ’s coming at Christmas.
Lent is when we prepare to celebrate Jesus rising from the dead on Easter.
Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends with the celebration of the Lords Supper on
Jesus gave us the gift of Himself in the sacrament of the Eucharist on the night before
Good Friday is the day that Jesus was crucified.
Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday are the days we call the Easter
Pentecost is 50 days after Easter. It is called the birthday of the church when the Holy
Spirit first came to us.
The cross is the most widely used Christian symbol.
The word Bible means library. The Bible contains 73 books.
The Bible is divided into the Old Testament and the New Testament.
The Old Testament is also called the Hebrew Scriptures.
The Bible was written by many human authors under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Many different types of literary forms were used in the writing of the Bible.
An Epistle is a letter in the New Testament.
The Gospels are an announcement of good news about Jesus.
The Gospels were written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
The Gospels are found in the New Testament.
A Parable a story Jesus told to teach us a lesson.
Prayer is talking and listening to God.
The Mass is divided into two parts, the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the