Re-examining the Merchant
Mastering an Approach that Leads to
Closing More Merchant Processing Sales
Re-examining the Basic Sales Content Slide
Why bother? Don’t I know how to sell already?
1. Are you selling enough right now? Are you willing
to change to get better results?
2. We will re-examine the merchant selling process
and you will get more business!
3. We want to be the person who
a) knows the process
b) has the skills
c) and gets the job done.
d) This is the pro with the big paycheck!
What are your real world salesContent Slide
Do you face any of these?
1. Not enough quality leads
2. Merchants who won’t see you
3. Pitch-resistant prospects who don’t want to hear it
4. Prospects who don’t see value in what you
5. Prospects who get their current provider to match
your proposed pricing
6. Prospects who won’t close
Are we willing to change to succeed?
SPS Content Slide
• Change can be risky
• Change can be painful
• We will have to exercise self-discipline to
• We will have to really work to change
• Do we have enough self-confidence to know
we change our focus and come out on top?
So how do we get there?? SPS Content Slide
• We have to consider taking our sales process in a
new direction, that is, letting it evolve into a higher
• Price competition has created a “race to the
bottom” and we have lost our way
• We have to re-focus our attention on the process
of building value and defining our value
• That value can only be defined by the customer
and given weight based on their situation
• Everything else is secondary to this
What is beyond the Basic Sales Process?
SPS Content Slide
We have to think beyond the basic sales processes
3. Determining Needs
4. Presenting Alternatives
5. Making Proposals
Isn’t this what salespeople do? Yes, but we have get
beyond this to consider how buyers buy.
How to re-organize the Sales Process?
SPS Content Slide
1. First, ask the question: Am I willing to re-organize
how I work in order to be more effective at selling?
2. Second, re-examine your work and your methods
3. Third, focus on the key question: What value does
our sales process create for the customer?
4. Fourth, focus on where your customer is in their
path toward buying and get them to the next step
5. What you must be wary of is that the process
becomes the goal. The goal is to get the
customer what they want.
A new collaborative approach Content Slide
• Your marketing, sales, customer service and
operations teams all have to work together
• Each group must face the real world problems,
issues and pinch points in the process
• We have to address this major question:
“What value does our sales process create for
Most prospects don’t know they need it!
SPS Content Slide
• Most merchants have a solution in place
• Most don’t know they need another solution
• Most merchants have a vague idea there is
a better way of doing things
• What most merchants do need is a trusted
source of information
• You want to be that trusted source!
Prepare for the sales process Content Slide
Do your homework on your prospect
• Research the company, their clientele, their lines
of product, their competition, anything important
• Construct lines of questions that explore the
journey toward their success
• Trust and understanding will make them more
ready to buy from you
• Specific suggestion: Find out things that are
unusual, interesting or make this merchant stand
out. What is their competitive value in the
market? What are their priorities? Use these
when you call on them to discover payments
priorities and needs.
Nurturing in the sales process Content Slide
Build value by nurturing clients
• Build in time, build in trust, build in valuable
information and helpful knowledge of the
• Construct better ways for you to stay in touch with
your clients so this process can grow
• Recognize the customer is on a journey and you
can be their guide
• Specific suggestion: Construct a merchant
email that is one page, has important, relevant
information. Invite every merchant you call on to
receive your merchant email. Provide examples.
Build credibility into the salesSPS Content Slide
Build value by providing awareness
• Build the information value of the sales process
• Build your visibility as the expert
• Be the source for the best new improvements
• Specific suggestion: Write a series of three or
four short articles for your local community
newspaper on specific merchant payments
problems and how to solve them. Offer them to
your local paper for free as long as they print your
email address. This will build your credibility and
your lead pipeline. Use reprints with new
How do we build more value? Content Slide
• Innovate and experiment
• Re-think from the customer’s perspective
• Study your competition and other industries
• Search the Internet for more ideas
• Ask your peers how they build value
Review of Essential Skills to SPS Content Slide
To put your knowledge of the basic sales process into
practice, you will need to
• Work together as a team
• Identify the value your sales process creates for
• Use a creative approach to promote that value to
your target audience
• Build more value into your sales process
Discussion SPS Content Slide
What other methods have you used to improve the
value of the sales process?
• Use examples from your experience
• Tell us how they have worked out
• Please give others a chance to comment
• Please keep comments constructive