West Virginia Performance
Effectiveness Review Tool
What is the WV PERT
WV PERT is an acronym for the
WV Performance Effectiveness Review Tool
The review tool is the method by which the
Division of Primary Care will determine if
staff of the school-based health center
has a through understanding of the
Principals, Standards, and Guidelines for
School-Based Health Centers in WV.
WHO . . .
The West Virginia Bureau for
Public Health, Division of Primary
Care and the West Virginia
School-Based Health Assembly
have adopted the WV PERT for
school-based health centers in
• The WV PERT review tool is used to
assure that quality medical,
psychosocial, and educational health
services are delivered in accordance
with current best practices.
• Confirms that state funds are being
used effectively and efficiently .
• In June 1998 Guidelines for WV School
Based Health Centers were adopted.
• In April 2003 the guidelines were revised
to the current document Principles,
Standards and Guidelines for School-
Based Health Centers in West Virginia.
• In 2004 the WV PERT was implemented.
Participation . . . . . . . . .
The sponsoring organization must:
– Comply with standards established by
the WV School Based Health Assembly
in conjunction with the WV BPH
– Must be willing to participate in an
annual self- evaluation
– Be available for a site visit every three
How the WV PERT is
• Each SBHC will • Every three years an
perform an annual external peer review
self-evaluation using team will visit the
the WV PERT . SBHC to observe,
measure and validate
provided by the WV
• Those centers who comply with WV
PERT will be provided a certificate
that they are in compliance with the
Principles, Standards and Guidelines
for SBHC in WV.
Funding continued . . .
• State funded School Based Health Centers
– For those SBHC who do not meet the WV PERT
standards they will be required to address the
challenges / deficiencies.
– As long as funding is available, the only way to
jeopardize on-going state funding is gross
disregard to WV PERT with no progress toward
resolving identified non-compliance areas.
• The Division of Primary Care in
conjunction with Marshall University
Office of Technical Assistance and
Evaluation is available to provide
Review of WV PERT
• CQI Monitoring Review Schedule
• CQI Notebook
• WV PERT Process
Review WV PERT Tool
• The WV PERT Tool is divided into
– Administrative Review
– Medical Clinical Service Review
– Behavioral Health Review
– Medical / Behavioral Health Record
• A. Organization and Function
• B. Site Specific Information
• C. Policy and Procedures
• D. Fiscal Operations
• E. Data Management
• F. Quality Assurance
• G. Advisory Boards
• H. Publicity/Outreach/Education
• I. Accessibility
• J. Contract Requirements
• A. Clinical Process
• B. Clinical Environment
• C. Services Available
Behavioral Health Review
Medical / Behavioral
Health Record Review
Questions / Assistance
Division of Primary Care
Nell Phillips, RN, MSM, HCA
350 Capital Street, Room 515
Charleston, WV 25301-3716