(Specifier Note: The purpose of this guide specification is to assist the specifier in
correctly specifying MERMET Flocke solar protection fabric for window coverings and/or
tensile structures. Flocke is the ultimate blackout fabric. It eliminates natural light and
allows for total privacy making it great for media rooms.
Solar protection fabric may be specified within this section or added to other work result
specification section where solar protection fabric is used. The specifier needs to edit
these guide specifications to fit the needs of each specific project. Contact a MERMET
representative to assist in appropriate product selections. Throughout the guide
specification, there are Specifier Notes to assist in the editing of the file.
References have been made within the text of the specification to MasterFormat 2004
Section numbers and titles, specifier needs to coordinate these numbers and titles with
sections included for the specific project. Brackets have been used to indicate when a
selection is required.)
SECTION 12 05 13
SOLAR PROTECTION FABRIC
PART 1 - GENERAL
1.1 SECTION INCLUDES
A. Solar protection fabric for [roller shades] [roman shades] [panel tracks] [vertical
shades] [skylight blinds] [tensile structures] <Insert Application>.
(Specifier Note: COORDINATE references below with test standards specified in Quality
Assurance and Part Two articles below.)
A. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc.
1. ASHRAE 74: Method of Measuring Solar-Optical Properties of Materials.
B. ASTM International
1. ASTM D3691: Standard Performance Specification for Woven, Lace, and
Knit Household Curtain and Drapery Fabrics.
2. ASTM E84: Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of
C. California Code of Regulations (CCR)
1. CCR Title 19: Fabric and Material Certification.
D. German Institute for Standardization (DIN)
1. DIN 4102 –1: Fire Behaviour of Building Materials and Elements,
Classification of Building Materials, Requirements and Testing.
E. International Oeko-Tex® Association
1. Oeko-Tex® Standard 100: Globally uniform testing system of textiles for
harmful substances which are prohibited or regulated by law, chemicals
which are known to be harmful to health, and parameters which are
included as a precautionary measure to safeguard health.
F. National Standards (NF)
1. NF P92–503: Fire-Resistance of Building Materials and Elements, Electrical
Burner Test for Flexible Materials.
G. National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
1. NFPA 701: Fire Tests for Flame -Resistant Textiles and Films.
A. Refer to Section [01 33 00 Submittal Procedures] [Insert section number and
B. Product Data: For each type of product indicated.
C. Samples: Provide finish samples for all products.
(Specifier Note: Oeko-Tex® certification is optional, DELETE paragraph below if not
D. Environmental Certification: Oeko-Tex® Standard 100.
E. Maintenance Data
1.4 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Fire-Test-Response Characteristics: Provide solar protection fabric with the fire-
test-response characteristics indicated, as determined by testing identical
products per test method indicated below by UL or another testing and
inspecting agency acceptable to authorities having jurisdiction. Identify
materials with appropriate markings of applicable testing and inspecting
(Specifier Note: DELETE paragraphs below that are not project specific.)
1. Flame-Resistance Ratings: Passes NFPA 701.
2. Flame-Resistance Rating: ASTM E84, Class A
3. Flame-Resistance: CCR Title 19 Certified.
4. Flame-Resistance Rating: NF P92-503, M1 rated.
5. Flame-Resistance Rating: DIN 4102-1, B1 rated.
6. <Insert fire-test-response characteristic>: <Insert fire-test-response
requirements and test method>.
(Specifier Note: Article below is for solar protection fabric only. DELETE article when solar
protection fabric is installed as part of a work result, and defer to the work result
A. Refer to Section [01 78 36 Warranties] [Insert section number and title].
B. Special Warranty for Solar Protection Fabric: Manufacturer's standard form in
which manufacturer agrees to replace fabrics that fail in materials within
specified warranty period. Failures include, but are not limited to, more than 30
percent loss of breaking strength, loss of color fastness to light, and loss of fire
resistance in effect at time of original purchase.
1. Warranty Period: 5 years from date of Substantial Completion.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
(Specifier Note: Product Information is proprietary to MERMET. If additional products are
required for competitive procurement, contact MERMET for assistance in listing
competitive products that may be available.)
2.1 SOLAR PROTECTION FABRIC
A. Basis-of-Design Product: Subject to compliance with requirements, provide
Mermet; Flocke, 11201.
1. Colors: [Match Architect's samples] [As selected by Architect from
manufacturer's full range] [As indicated in a window treatment schedule]
(Specifier Note: DELETE remaining paragraphs below if products are limited to basis of
design listed above.)
B. Shade Band Material: 42 percent fiberglass, 51 percent acrylic and 7 percent
cotton flocked backing. Mercury, lead and PVC-free.
1. Width: 78 inches.
C. Performance Characteristics:
1. Product Type: Blackout.
(Specifier Note: SELECT first option colors 606, 614, 617 or 619 are specified, select
second option for all others.)
2. Weight: [12.3] [14.7] oz/sq. yd.
(Specifier Note: SELECT first option when colors 606, 614, 617 or 619 are specified, select
second option for all others.)
3. Thickness: [.020] [.022] inches.
4. Yarn Count: Warp/56 Fill/23 ends per inch.
5. Breaking Strength: Warp > 290 / Fill > 280 lbs.
6. Elongation to Break Point: Warp/Fill < 5 percent.
7. Colorfastness to Light: Complies with ASTM D3691.
D. Material Solar-Optical Properties: In accordance with ASHRAE 74.
1. Openness Factor (OF): 0 percent.
(Specifier Note: Remaining solar-optical properties vary per color. Enter Material Solar-
Optical Properties values listed under selected color on manufacturer’s website at
2. Solar Transmittance (Ts): 0 percent.
3. Solar Reflectance (Rs): <Insert number> percent.
4. Solar Absorptance (As): <Insert number> percent.
5. Visible Light Transmittance (Tv): 0 percent.
(Specifier Note: Shading coefficients are for fabric hung internally behind 1/4 inch clear
or heat absorbing glass. DELETE sub-paragraph below if not project specific.)
6. Shading Coefficient (SC): [0.28 with 1/4 inch clear plate] [0.29 with 1/4
inch heat plate].
PART 3 - EXECUTION
A. Clean fabric according to manufacturer's written instructions.
1. Remove dust and other foreign materials using vacuum cleaner or
END OF SECTION