No Country for Old Men 3-61
Besides paying attention to these details, you’ll also want to start looking for larger issues as you
Underline and make notes about anything that catches your attention. It may not mean
much now, but later when you go over your notes, it could be significant.
Look for clues about the character of these characters.
Pay attention to descriptions of the landscape.
Think about why McCarthy chooses to open each new section with an italicized
narrative. Who do you think the narrator is? Why is this told in the first person? What
connection do they have to the rest of the section they introduce?
1. What sent one boy to the gas chamber at Huntsville?
2. What kind of car was the man driving when Chigurh pulled him over?
3. Why does Chigurh ask the man to step away from the car before he kills him?
4. When Moss is hunting antelope, what kind of rifle does he have?
5. What does Moss wear around his neck on a gold chain?
6. What kind of gun does Moss steal from the living man in the Bronco?
7. Why did the man in the Bronco want Moss to close the door?
8. What is Moss’ first name?
9. When Moss gets home, what does his wife want him to go out and get?
10. How much money is in the case?
11. Why does Moss return to the scene of the crime?
12. Why is Moss concerned that he had to leave his truck behind?
13. Where does Moss’ brother live?
1. Why does Mrs. Downie call Sheriff Bell?
2. Why does Sheriff Bell move the dead hawk out of the highway?
3. What is Sheriff Bell’s first name?
4. Why does Lamar want to quit?
5. What is Moss’ wife’s name?
6. Where does Moss want his wife to go and why?
7. What kind of nuts does Chigurh buy at the filling station in Sheffield?
8. What does the owner of the filling station win when he wins the coin toss?
9. Why shouldn’t the owner of the filling station put the coin in his pocket?
10. According to Chigurh, what can be an instrument?
No Country for Old Men 62-157
1. On p.72, what does Bell think of Moss?
2. Why did Bell and Wendell take the horses away from the crime scene?
3. What did Chigurh drink in Moss’ trailer?
4. How much would it cost Moss if he stayed a week at the Trail Motel?
5. When Moss is window shopping in Ciudad Acuna, what kind of boots does he look at?
6. On p. 86, what does it mean to be in a “jackpot”?
7. At the end of Section III, when Moss throws the sawed-off shotgun barrel into the lake, what
kind of animals does he see?
1. How does the narrator feel about his wife?
2. According to Bell, how many felony charges were filed in Terrell County Court and how
many of the felony charges were not drug related?
3. When Chigurh is on the Devil’s River Bridge just west of Del Rio, what does he shoot at?
4. When Chigurh finally meets up with Moss, what kind of boots is Chigurh wearing?
5. How much money does Moss give the kid on the bridge for his long coat?
1. How does the narrator feel about the truth?
2. What does the narrator say about the dead?
3. What is Llewelyn Moss’ wife afraid of when she sees Sheriff Bell take off his hat at the
4. What war did Moss serve in?
5. How did Moss’ wife know she’d meet him at the Wal-Mart she used to work at?
6. How old was Moss’ wife when she married Moss?
7. How old was Bell’s wife when she married him?
8. What is Chigurh’s first name?
9. What is Wells hired to do?
10. What does Wells find on the second level of the Aztec Theatre?
11. By how much did the bullet miss Moss’ liver?
12. What do Chigurh’s principles transcend?
13. What kind of boots is Wells wearing?
No Country for Old Men 158-247
1. What sometimes wakes up the narrator in the night?
2. Why does Chigurh blow up the car outside the Cooperative?
3. How long did Chigurh stay at the motel recovering?
4. Why does he leave the motel?
5. What is Wells doing on the bridge located on the US/Mexico border?
6. How much does Wells have in his bank account?
7. Why does the guard let Moss cross the border into the United States?
1. What happened to the narrator when he served in the war?
2. In the 1930s, what were the biggest problems teachers faced?
3. 40 years later, what are the biggest problems teachers faced?
4. At the beginning of Section VII, Chigurh kills the man who hired Wells to kill him. What
type of shot does Chigurh use to kill the man and why?
5. According to the cab driver, what are the words “trust me” worth?
6. When Chigurh drinks the orange soda, stays the night, showers, has cereal, whose house is he
1. According to the narrator, if you were Satan, what would you think up to bring the human
race to its knees?
2. When Moss and the hitchhiker stop to eat, what does Moss order? What does the hitchhiker
3. Where is the hitchhiker headed?
4. Why does Moss wear the tusk of a wild boar?
5. According to Moss, why can’t someone start over?
6. Up until he stole the money, what did Moss do for a living?
7. How old is Moss?
8. What does Carla Jean threaten to do to Sheriff Bell?
No Country for Old Men 248-309
1. According to Chigurh, what invites or discourages the attention of one’s enemies?
2. According to Chigurh, what do people always say to him before he kills them?
3. How often does Ellis make a fresh pot of coffee?
4. What medal did Sheriff Bell receive during the war?
5. Why didn’t he want it?
1. How old was Sheriff Bell when he was in the war?
2. What caused the car accident that Chigurh was in?
1. According to Moss’ dad, what job did Moss have when he was in Vietnam?
2. What does Sheriff Bell tell his horse about Loretta?
1. Why does Sheriff Bell think crime has gotten out of hand in his county?
2. When Sheriff Bell walks out of the courthouse for the last time, how does he feel?
1. What led someone to create the watering trough out of stone?
2. What was Sheriff Bell’s first dream about his father after his father died?
3. What was the second dream?