GERIATRIC MEDICINE SKILLS FAIR—STATION 4
Preceptor Guide: Braden Score for Pressure Ulcer Risk
This activity reviews Braden Scores and its purpose. Emphasize that the
Braden Scale is meant to be a screening tool for establishing pressure ulcer
risk. It is not a tool to follow ulcer improvement, like the PUSH tool.
1. Divide your learners into pairs;
2. Distribute the Braden Vignette with the Braden Instruction Sheet
describing the Braden Score and its definitions to each pair of learners;
3. Describe the significance of the Braden Score and when it’s used;
4. Allow time for learners to read the vignette and provide the Braden score;
5. Compare answers between the groups at your station to emphasize that
there is some subjectivity to the scoring.