Foods to Choose Foods to Avoid
Cereals (except bran or No restrictions.
granola types), plain
Nutrition Management of
Bananas, applesauce, No restrictions.
canned fruit, cooked fruit
without skins or seeds.
Bloating & Gas
Watered down fruit juices.
Cooked vegetables Peas, corn, cabbage,
without skins or seeds. onions, and other
“gas forming” vegetables.
Low fat yogurt, Baked beans and other “gas
cottage cheese, forming” proteins.
Poached or broiled fish, No restrictions.
lean meats, poultry
(without the skin).
Broth and Carbonated beverages (pop),
clear soups. alcoholic drinks, drinks with caffeine
(coffee, tea, colas, cocoa), soups
made with cream.
High fat, greasy foods, spicy foods,
salad dressings, pickles and foods
made with vinegar, garlic.
790 Commissioners Road East
Contact Patient and Professional Education
London, Ontario N6A 4L6
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.lhsc.on.ca/About_Us/LRCP/
NS5890 (2007/11/15) Updated 2010/03/29
Patient Information • Remain sitting up for at least a half to one hour after a meal.
Heartburn, Bloating and Gas • If you must lie down, keep your head elevated at least 12
inches above the level of your feet.
There are many reasons why you may have gas, cramps, bloating
• Some dairy products may not agree with you due to lactose
and heartburn. Some of these include:
(milk sugar) intolerance. If necessary, special drops or pills,
• Lack of activity which aid in digestion, can be used when having milk
• Nervousness products (e.g., Lacteeze® and Lactaid®). Pre-treated milk is
• Certain cancer treatments like radiation to the upper abdomen also available in most supermarkets. Ask the Registered
Dietitian about these products.
• Some tumours (e.g., cancer of the pancreas)
• Some medications
Medicine that can help manage heartburn:
• Certain foods
If you have heartburn you can buy antacid medicine at your
The purpose of this brochure is to give you information on how pharmacy. Antacids come as both liquids and pills. Some
to manage these symptoms on your own. If these symptoms are examples of heartburn medication include Maalox™, Rolaids™,
making you uncomfortable and you cannot control them, talk to Mylanta™ and TUMS™.
a member of your healthcare team at your next visit.
You can also buy medicine to help reduce acid production.
Helpful Hints These include:
• Ranitidine (e.g., Zantac™);
• Eat smaller meals and snacks more often
• Cimetidine (e.g., Tagamet™);
• Try not to skip meals
• Famotidine (e.g., Pepcid AC™).
• Chew slowly and thoroughly, with your mouth closed, to
prevent swallowing air In the most severe cases, your doctor may prescribe medicine to
• Eat soda crackers before you get out of bed and when you feel help you with these symptoms.
like you may be getting heartburn
You can call Supportive Care at 519-685-8622 to
• Wait 30-45 minutes after a meal before having beverages
make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian.
• Do not use a straw when drinking
You do not need a referral.
• Eat in a place that relaxes you
• Avoid physical activity right after eating.