What is hip bursitis?
On the outside of the hip are two bursae. The
outer one can become inflamed from a direct
blow or impact. Either of the two can become
inflamed from friction caused by overuse. If
you overpronate then you are more suscepti-
ble to this injury.
• Pain on the outside of the hip which is
worse during running.
• Pain when you press in on the outside of
• Intense pain and swelling on the outside of
• Pain which radiates down the thigh at
What can the athlete do?
• Rest until there is no pain.
• Apply ice to the area.
• Run only on flat, even surfaces.
• See a sports medicine professional.
What can a sports medicine professional do?
• Aspirate the inflamed bursa.
• Prescribe anti-inflammatory medication (i.e. ibuprofen).
• Give a steroid injection followed by rest.
• Checks to see if you need orthotics.
• Operate if it is a long term injury.