Toys R Us and the Socialization Process
1) Please visit the “Toys R’ Us” website at www.toysrus.com
2) On the top of the page you will see “shop by age.” Please choose 3 to 4 years from the
3) On the left hand column of the 3 to 4 years category, please click on either “Boys” or
“Girls” for gender and complete #4. When you are done, repeat the process with the other
4) Consider the following as you browse through the categories on the website:
What toys seem to be geared towards boys?
Which seem to be geared towards girls?
What are the names of these toys?
What colors do they use?
Are any of them “gender neutral?”
Are there any toys essentially the same type of toy except they may be called
something different depending on the gender of the child?
5) Please type a 500-800 word analysis of your findings and submit it to
www.turnitin.com. This assignment is due no later than Friday, November 20th.
Are certain roles for boys and girls being taught?
Are they being groomed to be interested in certain products or activities?
Are they being groomed based on their gender?
What interests are being highlighted?
Are boys and girls being separated into different roles by the toys that we
encourage them to play with?
Use several examples from the website to support you viewpoint.