National Drug Authority
• The Pharmacovigilance Centre is located in
the Department of Drug Information in
National Drug Authority, a drug regulatory
• The Centre draw up a programme to start
sensitizing Health workers in the public
health units on the importance of
• Monitoring adverse drug reactions and
quality of drugs on the Ugandan market.
• To coordinate, collect, analyse and evaluate
adverse drug reaction reports from the field on the
human and veterinary drugs.
• Promote exchange of drug information with DICs
within and outside the country.
• To collaborate with WHO other drug monitoring
The centre is managed by:
• 2 Medical Doctors
• 1 Pharmacist (attended Pharmacovigilance
• 1 Pharmacy Technician
• 1 Public Health Nurse
• 2 support staff
1. Developed ADR monitoring form for human
drugs and a form for monitoring veterinary
drugs is in progress.
2. Sensitising Health Professional from health
facilities on the importance of
3. Distributing ADR monitoring forms to Health
4. Identifying and sensitizing other stake holders
who will assist in evaluating ADR reports.
1. Launching the ADR monitoring form by the
Minister of Health is planned in the near future.
2. Sensitize Veterinary Professionals when the
ADR monitoring form in animals is ready.
3. Recruit and train more staff for the
4. Establish a reporting system through the existing
Facilities available at the centre include,
computers, data storage facilities, hotline,
Fax machine and E-mail.