3rd Grade Science
PISD Curriculum: Year at a Glance
Overarching Themes: *Patterns *Cycles *Systems *Models *Change and Constancy
Bundle Guiding Questions
Safety /Processes / Notebooks • What skills and tools do we use as scientist?
• Why do we need to be careful when we are doing
• Science is an ongoing cycle of questioning and classroom and outdoor investigations?
problem solving. • How do we organize our thoughts, information,
• Safety should always be considered when connections, and other data?
1 exploring, learning, and using various tools
and equipment both inside and outside of the
• Notebooks help us organize our thoughts, data,
Earth and Space • What is the center of our Solar System?
• What are the planets that make up our Solar System
• Models serve specific purposes and cannot and what is their position in relationship to the Sun
show us everything. and the other planets?
• The Sun is the center of our Solar System. • How do the Sun and planets move as a part of the
2 • There are 8 large planets in our Solar System. Solar System?
• The Sun, the Moon, and the planets rotate. • How do the Sun, Earth, and Moon interact?
• The Moon and the planets revolve. • What are some limitations of different models of the
• The Moon rotates as it revolves around the Solar System?
• The Earth rotates as it revolves around the Sun
Water Cycle & Weather • How does the sun impact the weather?
• How do weather conditions vary by location and time
• Weather conditions vary by location and time of day?
3 of day and can be measured, recorded, and • Why does the water cycle need the Sun?
• The Sun provides the energy that fuels the
water cycle and affects weather conditions.
Formation of Soil / Natural Resources • How do we determine the best use of our natural
• Conservation of natural resources helps us • What are some properties of different types of soils?
meet our needs while caring for our Earth. • How is soil formed?
• Different soils have properties that enable us to • What are some components of soil?
identify and classify them.
• Why should we conserve natural resources?
4 • Soil forms over millions of years due to the
weathering of rock and decaying of once living
• Soil is a mixture of rocks, humus, air, and
• Properties of natural resources help determine
Landforms and Rapid Change • How do we identify and compare landforms based on
their physical features?
• Physical features of landforms help us identify • How do rapid changes affect the Earth’s surface?
5 and compare them. • How do rapid changes affect our lives?
• The Earth’s surface is constantly changing.
• Many changes to the Earth’s surface occur
PISD, 3rd Grade YAG Page 1 of 2 7/2/2010
3rd Grade Science
PISD Curriculum: Year at a Glance
Scientific Investigation and Reasoning • How can I learn new things on my own?
• How can I use my senses and other tools to help me
• Science is an ongoing cycle of questioning and learn things?
6 problem solving. • How can I gather information and organize it?
• We ask certain questions to find out certain • How can asking questions and finding answers look
information. differently depending on what I want to know?
Semester 1 Review / Organisms and • How does energy flow within an ecosystem?
Environments • How can you compare the diverse life cycles of plants
• Natural occurrences and human impact create • How are plants and animals adapted for the
environmental changes affecting living environment in which they live?
• What are physical characteristics of an environment?
• Environments have structures and functions
• How do physical characteristics of an environment
7/8 that work together as a system and support the
help organisms meet their needs?
growth and life of diverse organisms.
• What are the components within any environment?
• Organisms have structures and functions that
• How do environmental changes affect living
allow them to survive within a particular
• The Sun provides the energy for food chains.
• Energy flows from living organisms to other
living organisms through food chains.
Matter • How do tools help us identify physical properties of
• Solids, liquids, and gases each have unique • How do we define the three primary states of matter?
properties. • How do we determine the physical state of matter?
• Matter has measurable physical properties and • How do we change the physical state of matter?
9 those properties determine how matter is
• How do we create mixtures?
classified, changed, and used.
• Mixtures are created by combining 2 or more
• Adding or reducing/removing heat changes the
state of matter.
Force, Motion, and Energy • How are forces, such as magnetism and gravity, alike
• Energy is the ability to do work or cause • What is energy?
10 / 11 changes in matter. • How are mechanical, light, sound, and heat/thermal
• Applying force causes change. energy alike and different?
• Energy exists in many forms and is used in our • How does a force cause change to show work being
daily lives. done?
12 Structured Enrichment
PISD, 3rd Grade YAG Page 2 of 2 7/2/2010
3rd Grade – Science Bundle Flow Map
Bundle 1 Bundle 2 Bundle 3 Bundle 4
Safety / Earth and Space Water Cycle & Formation of Soil /
Processes / Weather Natural Resources
Bundle 5 Bundle 6 Bundle 7 Bundle 8
Landforms and Scientific Structures and Structures and
Rapid Change Investigation and Functions of Functions of
Reasoning Organisms Environments
(Continues into (Continued from
Bundle 8) Bundle 7
Bundle 9 Bundle 10 Bundle 11 Bundle 12
Matter Force, Motion, Force, Motion, Structured
and Energy and Energy Enrichment
(Continues to Bundle (Continued from
11) Bundle 10)