Tax Tips for Recently Married Taxpayers

Document Sample
Tax Tips for Recently Married Taxpayers Powered By Docstoc
					 IRS Tax Tips                                                                                August 13, 2010

Useful Links:                Issue Number:               IRS Summertime Tax Tip 2010-17 Home                 Inside This Issue
1040 Central

Help For Hurricane Victims
                                      Five Tax Tips for Recently Married Taxpayers
                             Are you getting married this summer? If you recently got married or are planning a
                             wedding, the last thing on your mind is taxes. However, there are some important
News Essentials              steps you need to take to avoid stress at tax time. Here are five tips from the IRS for
                             newlyweds to keep in mind.
What's Hot
                                 1.    Notify the Social Security Administration Report any name change to the
                                       Social Security Administration, so your name and Social Security Number will
News Releases                          match when you file your next tax return. Informing the SSA of a name
                                       change is quite simple. File a Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security
IRS - The Basics                       Card, at your local SSA office. The form is available on SSA’s website at
                             , by calling 800-772-1213 or at local offices.
                                 2.    Notify the IRS If you have a new address you should notify the IRS by
IRS Guidance                           sending Form 8822, Change of Address. You may download Form 8822 from
                              or order it by calling 800–TAX–FORM (800–829–3676).
Media Contacts                   3.    Notify the U.S.Postal Service You should also notify the U.S. Postal
                                       Service when you move so it can forward any IRS correspondence.
                                 4.    Notify Your Employer Report any name and address changes to your
Facts & Figures                        employer(s) to make sure you receive your Form W -2, Wage and Tax
                                       Statement, after the end of the year.
Problem Alerts                   5.    Check Your Withholding If both you and your spouse work, your combined
                                       income may place you in a higher tax bracket. You can use the IRS
                                       Withholding Calculator available on to assist you in determining the
Around The Nation                      correct amount of withholding needed for your new filing status. The IRS
                                       Withholding Calculator will even provide you with a new Form W -4,
e-News Subscriptions                   Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, you can print out and give to
                                       your employer so they can withhold the correct amount from your pay.

                             Back to Top
The Newsroom
Electronic IRS Press Kit     Thank you for subscribing to IRS Tax Tips, an IRS e-mail service. For more
                             information on federal taxes please visit
Tax Tips 2009
                             This message was distributed automatically from the IRS Tax Tips mailing
Radio PSAs                   list. Please Do Not Reply To This Message.
Fact Sheets

Armed Forces

Disaster Relief

Scams / Consumer Alerts

Tax Shelters

More Topics..

IRS Resources
Compliance & Enforcement

Contact My Local Office


Forms & Pubs

Frequently Asked Questions


Taxpayer Advocacy

Where to File

Update your subscriptions, modify your password or e-mail address, or stop subscriptions at any time on
your Subscriber Preferences Page. You will need to use your e-mail address to log in. If you have questions
or problems with the subscription service, please contact

This service is provided to you at no charge by Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Internal Revenue Service · 1111 Constitution Ave. N.W. · Washington DC 20535 · 800-439-1420

Description: Five Tax Tips for Recently Married Taxpayers