50 Minutes 7th Grade ELD Sample Lesson Plans
RE&SG = Reading Essentials and Study Guide BAV = Building Academic Vocabulary ELH = English Learner Handbook
RICA = Reading in the Content Area UA = Universal Access Handbook TE = Teacher's Edition GO = Graphic Organizer
Day Resource Activity/Lesson Strategy Assessment
1 RE&SG Drawing From Experience p.1 1. Pair Share answer to the question. 1. Walk around the class as
2. Create a brainstorming web about art on chart students Pair Share. Ask
paper. volunteers to share orally with
2. Complete the web with
BAV Introduce Key Words p.1 1. Choral Read the words. 1. Listen to the pronunciation
2. Complete section A p.1-2 whole class. of key words.
3. Have student work in pairs. Give each student 2. Call students randomly for
4-square vocabulary graphic organizer to complete answers.
for all words. (Model first 2 words. Students 3. Collect and grade graphic
won't be able to finish. Due 3rd or 4th day.) organizers when students
2 TE Essential Question: How does wealth 1. Have students Pair Share answer to the question. 1. Walk around the class as
affect people's lives? p. 132 2. Create a brainstorming web about wealth on students Pair Share. Ask
chart paper. volunteers to share orally with
3. Model how to write a topic sentence, supporting the class.
detail sentences, and a conclusion sentence to 2. Complete the web with
answer the essential question. whole class.
3. Have students copy the
paragraph in their journal.
Writing Go over the rubric with students. 1. Give students a copy of the writing rubric. 2. Based on your class
Rubric Read and go over the rubric. discussion, you will be able to
2. In pairs, have students score your writing of the tell whether your students
essential question. Have students justify their understood the rubric or not.
grading of your paragraph.
3. As a class, come to a consensus grade based on
TE Get Ready to Read p. 134-135 1. Learn It! Read and teach reading skill to the 1. Check students' notes.
whole class. Have students take notes in their 2. Ask appropriate questions
journals on how to preview texts. about the process and headings
2. Practice It! Model how to preview texts using and pictures of section one.
section one. 3. Facilitate and walk around
3. Have students follow instructions to practice the classroom as students
skill in small groups. practice in small groups.
4. Apply It! Have students apply previewing 4. Have students pair share
skills skimming reading section 2. their answer, and then have
volunteers share with the class.
3 RE&SG Read "A Prosperous Empire" Pgs. 2-3 1. Read "A Prosperous Empire" using the cloze 3. Facilitate, walk around the
Read "Roman Culture" Pgs. 3-6 method. classroom, and listen to
2. Have students answer question 7 on page 3 in students.
3. Have students pair share their answers. 7. Facilitate, walk around the
4. Whole class discussion about possible answers classroom, and listen to
to question 7. students.
5. Read "Roman Culture" using the cloze method.
6. Have students answer question 8 on page 6 in
7. Have students pair share their answers.
8. Whole class discussion about possible answers
to question 8.
RE&SG Read "A Prosperous Empire" Pgs. 2-3 1. Model on the overhead projector how to 1. Check students' journals.
Read "Roman Culture" Pgs. 3-6 summarize each section (What Did Augustus
Achieve? Who Came After Augustus? A Unified
Empire) of "A Prosperous Empire." Have students
copy summaries in their journals.
BAV Key Words p. 1 1. Have students complete their 4 square 3. Collect and grade graphic
vocabulary graphic organizers. organizers.
2. Use the "I have…who has" strategy to review 2. Students are to repeat from
vocabulary words. the beginning if there is a
4 TE Skillbuilder p. 552 Teach Skillbuilder "Taking Notes and Outlining" Check for understanding as
you teach this skill.
BAV Section B and C 1. Complete section A p.1-2 whole class. 1. Call students randomly for
ELH Section B and C 1. Complete section A p.1-2 whole class. 1. Call students randomly for
RICA Reading 1 Pgs. 2-3 1. As a whole class, read the passage using 1. Check for understanding as
Reciprocal Teaching. Teach students to preview you read and go over the
the text, read the questions, read the passage, and questions.
then deconstruct the questions so that the students
understand where and how to find the answers to
BAV Key Words p. 1 Have students finish their 4 square vocabulary Collect 4 square vocabulary
graphic organizers. graphic organizers.
5 BAV Key Words p. 1 2. Use the "I have…who has" strategy to review 2. Students are to repeat from
vocabulary words. the beginning if there is a
UA Roman Life p. 1 1. Create a graphic organizer for students to 1. Grade students using the
organize each social class person. Have students listening and speaking rubric.
work in groups to study the perspectives their
assigned person. Using butcher paper, have
students draw a life-sized person based on their
findings. Have students present their person to the