Position: Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist
The role of the Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist is to provide support by handling daily clinical
procedures, caring for animals and assisting the Veterinarians and Veterinary Technicians in
their daily tasks.
• Perform administrative and reception duties such as answering the phone, booking
appointments, checking in and out clients, receiving their payments, receiving
• Handling, restraining and caring for animals undergoing treatment and surgery
• Performing various daily office maintenance tasks such as cleaning the floors and cages,
keeping the reception area clean, etc.
• Providing animals with regular and medicated baths
• Assisting veterinarians with animals before, during and following surgery, preparing
surgical equipment, administering and monitoring anesthetics and cleaning up after
• Producing radiographs, collecting samples and performing other laboratory tests to assist
in diagnosis of animal health problems
• Administering medications and treatments under direction of Veterinarians and
• Providing wound and bandage care
• Conducting specialized procedures such as nail trimming
• Counseling clients on animal health care including nutrition and home care
• Assisting Veterinarians and Veterinary Technicians with animal dentistry
• Performing other duties as required in ensuring the clinic is running smoothly.
• Completion of a Veterinary Assistant diploma
• Experience working in a veterinary clinic is an asset
• Demonstrated excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and time
• Ability and comfort with computer based veterinary clinic software and programs