HIVE INFORMATION SERVICE
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR HIVE CENTRAL OFFICE CLERICAL ASSISTANT
WITH HIVE UK & OVERSEAS
Job Title: HIVE Central Office Clerical Assistant
Grade: Band E1 - 37hrs per week
Location: HIVE UK & Overseas, HQ Land Command, Wilton, Wilts, SP2 0G
Line managed by: HIVE Information Manager
The post holder will be responsible to the HIVE Information Manager for the updating and
maintenance of the HIVE/SFTF website. He/she will also be responsible for the administration of
information resources (both hard and soft copies) and create an information archive for use by
HIVE and AWIS. The post holder will deal with all telephone and email requests for information
and forward online request forms received via the HIVE website to the relevant HIVE Information
Centre. In addition the post holder will be required to provide administrative support to all Central
The ideal candidate will be well organized, motivated and happy to use his/her own initiative. With
a track record in administration he/she will have excellent IT skills, and an eye for detail and
accuracy. The post holder should have efficient and friendly telephone manner.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Update and Maintain the HIVE/SFTF website.
• Provide cover for the AWS/ JSHAO web pages when required.
• Process all web-based enquiries, directing on to the relevant agencies as required.
• Organise and maintain an information archive.
• Perform such other clerical duties which may be reasonably required i.e. dispatch of
mail, filing and photocopying.
The job description is subject to review in light of changing circumstances, and may include other
duties and responsibilities as determined by HIVE management and local line management, in
consultation with the job holder.
JOB REQUIREMENTS – HIVE CENTRAL OFFICE CLERICAL ASSISTANT
Note 1: Final appointment is subject to verification of appropriate qualifications and references
Note 2: There is a requirement for HIOs to attend a five day, residential induction training course within the probationary period.
1. KNOWLEDGE 1.1 You understand how the MOD is structured.
1.2 You have a knowledge of the 3 Services and understanding of Service life.
1.3 You have a knowledge of tri Service welfare support agencies.
1.4 You understand the role HIVE plays within the Service community.
2. QUALIFICATIONS 2.1 5 GCSEs or equivalent with grades A to C. English is essential.
3. ADMINISTRATIVE / OFFICE EXPERIENCE 3.1 You are competent in using the Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
3.2 You are competent in using the Internet for research and email.
3.3 You have experience of a professional working environment and are able to deal with the
various aspects of running an office.
4. MANAGEMENT OF INFORMATION 4.1 You have experience of handling information (researched, compiled, disseminated and
4.2 You can collect and summarise information and data relating to the area of work.
5. COMMUNICATION 5.1 You provide balanced, impartial and accurate information and deal with people tactfully. You
use the most appropriate method, language and style of communication for the situation and
5.2 You speak and write clearly and accurately, and check that people understand your
5.3 You develop and maintain good working relationships, and recognise breakdowns in
6. MANAGING CUSTOMERS 6.1 You have a strong focus on customers.
6.2 You know who your customers are and build good working relationships with them.
6.3 You identify ways to improve customer service.
6.4 You understand customers’ needs and manage expectations by explaining what is and is not
7. WORKING TOGETHER 7.1 You understand your own role and that of others in the team and work together to achieve
7.2 You willingly accept responsibility for your own work while keeping other people informed of
progress and possible problems.
7.3 You appreciate shared team goals and work with others to achieve required aims.
8. WORKING INDEPENDENTLY 8.1 You set an example by working efficiently with as little supervision as possible.
8.2 You take opportunities to develop yourself by learning from others and taking on new
8.3 You put forward ideas and contribute to initiatives.
8.4 You are aware of the limits of your own authority when making decisions.
8.5 You prioritise and manage your own work using your own time, technology and resources
9. PLANNING AND MANAGING RESOURCES 9.1 You use resources appropriately and follow required rules.
9.2 You understand the need to ask for the advice of others when making decisions.
9.3 You use processes, information and appropriate tools to deliver required results.
10. RESPONDING TO CHANGE 10.1 You are able to adapt to changing priorities.
10.2 You make suggestions for improving working practices.
10.3 You respond quickly, flexibly and positively to change, using it as an opportunity to learn,
develop and practise new skills. You put into practice new ways of working and exploit new
10.4 You have the confidence to handle unexpected enquiries and manage increased workload.