Job Description for GENERAL MANAGER (GM) of the Millbrook Playhouse
This position is mainly responsible for the non-production side of the Playhouse. It is supervised by the Board
of Directors during the non performance season and by the Artistic Director (AD) during the performance
• The GM shall work in conjunction with the Board of Directors and the AD to secure corporate
and/or individual sponsors for artistic endeavors involving Millbrook.
• The GM shall assist the Board in planning, directing and implementing a comprehensive
development program that generates individual donor, foundation and corporate support for the
• The GM shall be responsible for completion of grant applications and funding requests at least two
(2) weeks prior to their deadlines.
• The GM shall be responsible for the general supervision of all artistic endeavors, publicity and
promotional activities during the “off season” (not the performance season). These may include
representing the Playhouse at events in the community and on radio and television, and scheduling
appearances in the community for promotional or community relations purposes as well as
assisting the Board with promotional activities.
• The GM shall attend all meetings of the Millbrook Board of Directors and shall report on the status
of grants, securing of sponsors, upcoming and current projects and anything else being worked on.
He/she may participate in discussions at such meetings but shall not be entitled to vote.
• The GM shall assist the Board and the AD in the development of the budget for the season and
• The GM shall be responsible for operating within the non production budget both during the off
season and during the performance season and shall make weekly financial status reports to the
Treasurer. Purchase orders will be used.
• The GM shall oversee marketing and promotion of the Playhouse, its shows, fundraisers, and
events during the off-season and assist the AD with these during the performance season.
• The GM shall procure rights, venues and appropriate licenses for all off-season events.
• The GM shall work on audience cultivation through survey research, marketing or advertising and
fundraiser program creation and ad sales.
• The GM shall work in conjunction with the Building and Maintenance Committee Chair to plan,
organize and participate in “work weekends” both prior to and after the performance season.
• The GM shall develop a “volunteer packet” to be used as an orientation tool for volunteers prior to
the performance season.
* The GM shall respond to emails and phone messages, and maintain the mailing list.
• The GM shall be responsible for the timely provision of all personnel information to the Treasurer,
as needed for the preparation and processing of payroll taxes.
• The GM shall be responsible for the coordination of activities related to transporting the members
of the company, ensuring that only specified legally licensed drivers operate Millbrook owned
vehicles, and help the Treasurer monitor the operation, maintenance, insurance status and costs for
such vehicles. Copies of the valid drivers’ licenses of said persons shall be provided to the
automobile insurance carrier prior to use of Playhouse vehicles.
• The GM shall be responsible for overseeing the maintenance staff with regard to lawn mowing,
other yard maintenance and cleaning of all areas of the Barn.
• The GM, under the guidance of the AD, shall manage and direct the box office staff; and develop
and set policies regarding ticket sales and front of the house regulations and procedures.
• The GM shall make incident reports to the Board of Directors regarding any accidents whether
such accidents are covered by personal insurance or not and whether they involve patrons of the
Theater or staff. Such reports shall be made in writing as soon as possible and not later than
twenty-four (24) hours after an incident.
• The GM shall be required to be available on a daily basis during the ten (10) weeks of the
performance season. If the GM will be unavailable for a time period exceeding twenty-four (24)
hours he/she is to submit this information in writing to the Present of the Board for approval by the
Executive Committee at least forty-eight (48) hours in advance of the absence. In addition, the
GM will be responsible to see to it that he/she has coverage during said absence.
• The GM shall keep an up-to-date inventory of all capital equipment to include tools, electronics,
and all other items that exist, are purchased or donated and shall make recommendations regarding
annual capital equipment replacements.
• The GM shall insure that all staff lodging accommodations and keys are returned as required by
Lock Haven University or other vendors.
• The GM shall share responsibility for the day-to-day running of the Company taking part in
aspects of work beyond the Company Manager’s (assistant to the GM) job description as
necessary. He/she will supervise the Company Manager under the guidance of the AD.
• The GM shall be responsible for securing the Playhouse at the end of each evening during the
• The GM shall provide a completed brochure design for the upcoming season within two (2) weeks
of securing the rights to the plays.
• The GM shall perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.