ECE ADVISING NOTEBOOK

Table of Contents

I.       Faculty Advisor Duties

II.       Academic Regulations
       A. Academic Honesty
       B. Course Load
       C. Enrollment Issues
       D. Grades
       E. Maximum Attempts
       F. Policy Updates

III.     Admissions

IV.       Degree requirements
       A. Core Curriculum
       B. FAQs
       C. Flowcharts

V.       Graduation

VI.      Transfer Credit

as of 3/10
Academic Advising
    Each undergraduate and post-baccalaureate electrical engineering major is assigned a
permanent faculty advisor. The advisor will assist the student in planning his/her degree
program, and answer questions concerning academic policies. The advisor cannot waive
prerequisites or policies. The student is ultimately responsible for compliance.
    It is the duty of the faculty advisor to provide timely and accurate advice to his assigned
advisees. The advisor should make every effort to be available by appointment throughout the
academic year, with particular emphasis on the period when registration begins. If a faculty
member will not be available for advising, he should notify the Director of Undergraduate
Studies so that appropriate reassignments can be made.
    Advisors are assigned to new students before priority registration each fall and spring
semester. Until a regular advisor is assigned, the Director of Undergraduate Studies acts as
the advisor. Once assigned, students keep the same faculty advisor for the duration of their
studies as an ECE major provided they enroll at least once every two years . Students who are
not enrolled for two years are deleted from the advising base and will be assigned a new
advisor should they reenroll. Under special circumstances, a request for an advising change
may be made to the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Normally students may not request a
particular advisor, as advising assignments are made so as to balance the load among
available faculty.

   Confidentiality of Student Records
   You should always remember that student information is confidential. We must follow
FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) regulations.

If a student comes to see you with a parent or another student to discuss their progress,
course selection, etc., they must complete the FERPA release form if there is not already one
in their departmental file.
Information can be found at the following site:
 C- Rule

    The College of Engineering requires a grade of "C-" or better for credit in any
 mathematics, science, or engineering course that applies toward the bachelor's degree. In
 addition, the "C-" is required for any mathematics, science, or engineering course used as a
 prerequisite for a subsequent course.

 Maximum Number of Attempts

    The College of Engineering policy does not allow a student to attempt a required
engineering course more than two times. Students may not attempt a required mathematics,
computer science, or science course more than three times. Attempt is defined as formal
registration that results in a student receiving a letter grade, including grades of U, W and I.

Engineering Major Grade Point Average Probation/Suspension Policy
The Cullen College of Engineering maintains a probation/suspension system to monitor
students’ progress toward their undergraduate degrees. Students must maintain a 2.25 grade
point average in their major coursework to continue in the major. After students have
attempted a minimum number of hours in major, specified by each department, they will be
placed on engineering probation if their cumulative major average is below 2.25. A grade point
average of 2.25 or higher in major courses must be maintained each semester that a student
takes major courses while on probation. Once a student’s major grade point average rises to
2.25 or higher, the student is removed from probationary status. If a student’s semester grade
point average falls below 2.25 in major coursework while on engineering probation, the student
is placed on engineering suspension. For EE and CPE majors, the 2.25 rule begins to apply
once they have attempted 6 hours of ECE courses.

While on engineering suspension, a student can take non-engineering courses, but must
refrain from taking engineering courses for one semester following the imposition of the
suspension. Readmission from engineering suspension requires the student to submit a
petition for readmission, along with an accompanying letter of readiness that must contain a
plan for improved performance. Readmission is not guaranteed, and must be approved by the
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs.

Following a second engineering suspension, a student will not be readmitted to the Cullen
College of Engineering.

     The Academic Honesty Policy document contains full details concerning:
      (1) The definition of academic dishonesty;
      (2) Procedures for reporting and acting on cases involving breach of this policy;
      (3) The punishment to be assessed for infractions.

     Copies of this policy are available in the offices of the Department Chairs, the Deans of
the Colleges, the Dean of Students, and the Provost. In brief, infractions of the policy include
any conduct which a reasonable person in the same or similar circumstances would recognize
as dishonest or improper to an academic setting. These infractions include:
       (1) Obtaining test questions or answers to questions and responses to assigned
           work, in any fashion other than that designated as proper by the instructor of
           the class involved;
       (2) Falsifying records and results of academic work;
       (3) Presenting someone else's work as ones own (plagiarism); and
       (4) Failing to report an observation of someone involved in one of the preceding
           activities. Faculty have the responsibility of reporting incidents of alleged
           academic dishonesty to the department chair. Students have the responsibility
           of reporting incidents of alleged academic dishonesty first to the faculty
           member involved, and then, if necessary, to the department chair or to the

      Under this policy, faculty members do not determine guilt or innocence or assess
penalties. When a faculty member has reasonable grounds in his/her judgment to believe that
a student has engaged in academic dishonesty, the faculty member shall notify the accused
student and the chairperson of the concerned department in writing within five working days of
discovery. Within five working days from the time the chairperson has been notified, the
chairperson shall schedule a departmental hearing with the instructor, the accused student,
and the accusing party. Any appropriate penalty may be imposed up to a maximum
penalty of permanent suspension from the university. Both the involved student and the
instructor have equal right of appeal at the college level. All suspensions are automatically
appealed to a college level hearing.


   The University considers an undergraduate to be "full-time" if the student is enrolled for a
minimum of:

             Semester                           Semester Credit Hours
             Fall and Spring                    Twelve
             Summer Sessions II and III         Eight
             Summer Sessions I and IV           Four

   The College of Engineering maximum course load is 19 semester hours for fall or spring, 7
during each 6 week summer session or 14 total for all summer sessions. Engineering students
expecting to graduate in four years with an engineering bachelor's degree should expect to
take 16-18 hours each semester.

    Enrollment over these maxima to a level of 22 hours can only be done by "adding" courses
in the department, and an approved overload petition is required. This petition must be
approved by the academic advisor and the Undergraduate Associate Dean of Engineering,
and generally requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or graduating-semester enrollment.

Recommended Course Loads for Students

   Recommended course load guidelines based on academic status and employment work
load per week are charted below:

                       Employment Work          Recommended
Academic Status         Load/Week               Semester Course Load
Probation              Not employed             15 hour limit
Clear                   1-20 hours              Not more than 14 hours
Probation               1-20 hours              Not more than 12 hours
Clear                  20-30 hours              Not more than 13 hours
Probation              20-30 hours              Not more than 10 hours
Clear                  30-40 hours              Not more than 10 hours
Probation              30-40 hours              Not more than 7 hours

   Students should expect to devote a minimum of three hours of study time per week,
outside of classes, for each semester hour of course load.
Enrollment Issues

Enrolling Into Courses

    All prerequisites and corequisites listed in the current catalog must be met to enroll in a
course. Current prerequisite and corequisite rules always apply. If a student is following a
prior degree plan showing older prerequisites, the current rules still need to be followed.
Enrollment in ECE courses, except for ECE 1100, is limited to students with a major in the
College of Engineering or those under contract to enter the college.

   Students are given the opportunity to register for courses starting in November for
the Spring semester and starting in April for the Summer and Fall semesters. Students
are encouraged to enroll for courses at the earliest opportunity since they will be able to
schedule their classes at desired times with the least difficulty.

   Payment of the minimum amount due for tuition and fees by the fee payment deadline is
necessary in order to retain courses. Students who enroll at the earliest opportunity will have
the added convenience of receiving their fee bills by email and paying on-line It is the
student’s responsibility to keep his UH email alias updated correctly.

    Consult the on-line UH calendar for dates, times, fee payment information.

Canceling, Dropping , Withdrawing

Word definitions:
Canceling       Applies to dropping all courses prior to the first class day.
Dropping        Applies to dropping one or more, but not all courses, after the first class day.
Withdrawing     Applies to dropping all courses after the first class day.

      A student may drop or withdraw for the semester during any of the three drop periods
outlined below. Dates appear in the academic calendar each semester.
Drop Periods
Drop a course or withdraw to receive a tuition
Drop a course or withdraw without receiving a
Drop a course or withdraw with a grade of W

 Dropping is done by the student through UH Peoplesoft. Students are NOT automatically
dropped for non-attendance!

Beginning with the Fall semester 2007, a new policy went into effect. This policy establishes a
maximum total of 6-'W' grades.
The six 'W' grades may be used at any time during a student's undergraduate career to drop a
course up through the last day to drop a course or withdraw from all courses deadline. This
deadline falls approximately four weeks before the last class day of the fall and spring
The 'W' is given regardless of whether or not the student is passing the course, provided there
are no academic honesty issues and the student has followed the proper drop procedure on
PeopleSoft by the deadline. . Once the 6 'W's have been used however, the student must
complete all courses he or she is enrolled in regardless of academic performance.

Student/Instructor Drop/Withdrawal

Student initiated drop/withdrawal

    1. Students are responsible for initiating action to drop or withdraw before the last day to
    drop. Students should not expect the instructor to drop them. A student who fails to
    do so may be retained on class rolls even though he/she may be absent for the remainder
    of the semester. In such instances, a grade of "F" will be awarded.

    2. After the last day to drop or withdraw, students may drop or be dropped by their
    instructor from a course with a grade of "W", only with the approval of the Office of
    Academic Program Management and only for rare, urgent, substantiated, nonacademic

Instructor initiated drop/withdrawal

    An instructor may drop students for any of the following reasons before the last day to

    1. Prerequisites or corequisites for the course (listed in the latest catalog) have not been
    met. An instructor may drop a student at any time that the lack of prerequisites or
    corequisites has been detected.

    2. For causes that tend to disrupt the academic process. This does not include cases of
    academic dishonesty.

    3. Excessive absences may result in the student being dropped from a course. Students
    having excessive absences for acceptable reasons should notify their instructor and
    arrange to make up assignments in a timely fashion.

                   Students are notified by email when dropped by an instructor.

University Withdraw

    1. Accounts Receivable Withdrawal

        Students who are delinquent in their financial obligations to the university may be
    forced to withdraw. They will be reinstated only when all financial obligations have been

    2. Medical Withdrawal
    The senior vice president for academic affairs (or designated representative) may grant
medical withdrawals at any time to students who must withdraw for medical reasons from
all courses for which they are registered.
    Students who receive medical withdrawals after the last day to withdraw without
receiving a grade shall receive a grade of I or a W in each course for which they were
    Students who receive medical withdrawals must obtain permission from the Senior
Vice President for Academic Affairs to enroll again at the University of Houston.

Refer to the Undergraduate Studies Catalog for detailed policy and procedures.

Cumulative Grade Point Average

   The cumulative grade point average is based upon all work taken at the University of
Houston, including courses that are repeated, for which grade points values are assigned. A
repeated course, including courses repeated during a summer session, is equivalent to a new
course both in determining classification and in computing the cumulative grade point average.

Dean's List

   To qualify for this recognition, students must earn a 3.5 minimum grade point average on
12 or more semester hours completed during the Fall or Spring semesters, and 9 or more
semester hours completed during the Summer session(s). The grade of "S" is not counted.
Students who earn a grade of "I" (except in a senior honors thesis course), "D", "F", or "U"
during the semester are excluded from the Dean's List.

Incomplete Grades

   The grade of "I", which is conditional and temporary, may be awarded when a student is
passing a course but for non-academic reasons has not completed a relatively small portion of
the requirements. The procedure for having an "I'" grade awarded are:

1. The instructor, using the Incomplete Grade Agreement form (available in ECE office)
   department), must prepare a "Statement of Conditions," and indicate a time schedule to be
   met by the student. This statement should include an indication of how the final grade will
   be computed.
2. The student must contact the instructor as soon as possible to sign the agreement form.
3. Failing to complete the requirements will cause the "I" to automatically change to an "F"
   within one year of the date when the "I" was awarded.
4. The grade of "I" may not be changed to a grade of W, but may only be changed to another
   letter grade.
5. Students should not reregister for courses in which they previously received an "I" grade;
   this will not result in removal of the "I".
6. After the course work is completed, the instructor must submit a change-of-grade form to
   change the "I" grade to the grade earned.

   Grades of "I " are not assigned grade point values and are not used in the computation of
the grade point average. A change of grade from "I" will affect the cumulative GPA only in the
semester in which the "I" is changed and thereafter.

Academic Notice, Probation, and Suspension

   The cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) is based on all hours attempted at UH,
including courses that are repeated. Academic action taken at the end of each semester or
summer session is based on the total UH record.
Academic Notice and Probation

   Students are placed on academic probation if their cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 at the
close of that semester or summer session. Freshmen with fewer than 15 hours attempted will
be placed on Academic Notice.

   Students on Academic Notice are not on Academic Probation and will not be automatically
suspended. Students on Academic Notice must be advised by the University Studies
Division/Academic Advising Center and their major department.

   Students on academic probation whose semester or summer session GPA is below 2.00
are placed on academic suspension at the close of that semester or summer session.


    Students who have been suspended must petition for readmission through the Engineering
Dean's Office. Written guidelines for this process are available in the Engineering Dean's
Office. Once a student is approved for readmission from academic suspension a
"Readmissions Contract" is prepared in the Engineering Dean's Office for the signature of
the student and the Undergraduate Associate Dean for the College of Engineering. Contracts
are monitored by the Engineering Dean's Office at the end of each semester. Any violation of
the contract will result in having a stop (preventing future enrollment) placed on the student.

   The Undergraduate Associate Dean may place on academic probation, retain on
probation, or suspend a student whose academic records are deficient. The Undergraduate
Associate Dean also may remove from academic probation or academic suspension any
student whose academic progress warrants such action.

Policy Updates
 Important policy updates affecting all UH students are often posted on the
Provost’s website: Look there for more
details on the new withdrawal policy as well as the undergraduate hours cap and the 3-peat
 Policies affecting all engineering students are posted on the college website:
  Undergraduate admissions is handled by the Office of Admissions in conjunction with the
Engineering Dean's Office. High school graduates and students who have completed less
than 15 hours at another college are admitted based on high school standing and SAT or ACT
scores. Students who have completed 15 or more hours at another college are considered
transfer students and are admitted based on their cumulative gpa:
           2.50 GPA or higher for ALL college-level work Attempted
           2.50 GPA or higher for ALL college-level calculus Math courses attempted
           2.50 GPA or higher for ALL college-level Chemistry & Physics courses attempted
           2.50 GPA or higher for ALL college-level English courses attempted.
           2.50 GPA for ALL college-level Engineering courses attempted (if any).
   Must have attempted at least ONE college-level calculus math (UH MATH 1431, 1432 or 2433)
   Must have attempted at least ONE calculus-based Physics or college-level Chemistry course(UH CHEM
1331/1111 or 1332/1112 or 1372/1117 or PHYS 1321 or1322)
   Must have attempted at least ONE college level English course (UH ENGL 1303 or 1304)

  Only freshmen may designate a major as "engineering-unspecified". Once such a student
has completed 35 or more hours, he/she must change major.
  Summer transients who wish to enroll for a regular semester must apply for regular
  Evaluation of transfer credit is done by the Records & Enrollment Office in conjunction with
the Engineering Dean's Office. Remember that the Electrical & Computer Engineering
Department will not give transfer credit for electrical and computer engineering courses for
work done in non-ABET accredited programs. Post-baccalaureate students who are seeking a
second bachelor's degree must specifically request the Office of Admissions to have their
previous work evaluated.
  New students are initially counseled by the Engineering Dean's Office and the Director of
Undergraduate Studies in ECE. The Director of Undergraduate Studies acts as the advisor
until another permanent advisor is assigned.

Refer to the Undergraduate Studies Catalog or the UH Web Page for detailed admissions
                             DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
    The degree plan is the required curriculum specified in the applicable college catalog.
Students may continue under the degree plan in effect when they first entered a given major at
UH, provided the plan is not more than seven years old and continuous enrollment is
maintained. If a student returns after an absence of more than 13 months, he/she will fall
under the new program in effect at the time of return. Such a student will have to file a petition
to be "reactivated". A student may choose to follow any degree plan in effect after the earliest
for which he/she is eligible.

General Requirements for a Baccalaureate Degree
1. Students must complete core curriculum requirements .
2. Students must complete all course requirements of the major.
3. Students must earn a 2.00 minimum grade point average in courses attempted at UH
    (including repeated courses).
4. Students must earn a 2.00 minimum grade point average in courses attempted in their
    major at UH (including repeated courses).
5. Students must earn a 2.00 minimum grade point average in all core courses attempted at
    the university.
6. A catalog more than seven years old shall not be used at the time of graduation.
7. 3000-4000 level courses in the student's major must be taken within seven years of
8. Students must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of engineering courses in
    residence at UH. These 30 hours must be courses that count toward the bachelor's
 9. The last 30 semester hours to be applied toward a bachelor's degree must be taken in
Core Curriculum

     Prior to fall 1999 the University of Houston had a 56 hour core curriculum that was divided
into three "levels" and included two semesters of physical education. ECE degree plans prior
to fall 1999 incorporated the core curriculum requirements so that a student fulfilling the degree
plan would automatically satisfy the core.
     As a result of an act of the Texas Legislature, effective fall 1999 all state supported two
and four year schools were required to adopt a 42 hour common, transferable core. The ECE
degree plans beginning in 1999 reflect this new core as adopted by the University. A
summary, as well as a listing of the courses approved in the various categories of the "new
core" is on the UH Web Site:

1. Transfer of Texas College Credits: General Rules
    a) Students who transfer to the University of Houston before they have completed all of the Coordinating Board-
        approved core curriculum requirements at another Texas institution of higher education shall receive credit toward
        the UH core for each of the core courses they have completed with a grade of C- or higher up to the maximum
        specified in each core component area by the institution from which they are transferring. Hours that exceed the UH
        requirement in any core component area shall be applied elsewhere in the UH core according to the established core
        articulation table.
    b) Transfers without a degree are evaluated individually. However, the courses must be evaluated on the basis of
        whether they counted for core at that Texas institution, not whether they would have counted toward UH core. If it
        counts for core at a Texas state institution of higher education, it must count as core when a student transfers here.

2. Associate Degrees
    a) Students who have earned Texas academic associate degrees Fall 1999 or later should be considered Core Complete,
        unless they appear to have been music majors at the community college. Students following the Music Field of
        Study may complete the Associate Degree without completing the Core Curriculum. For up to date information
        about Fields of Study, visit the Coordinating Board web site,
    b) Students with an AAS (Associate of Applied Science) degree posted are not to be considered core complete on the
        basis of that degree. Those students must be checked to ensure that they have met all core requirements.

3. PB's and Core Completion
    a) PB students who have earned undergraduate degrees from Texas state universities should be considered Core
    b) PB students with degrees from out of state or private universities are Core Complete when they have satisfied the
         state mandated American History and American Government.
    c) Degrees from foreign institutions must be individually evaluated for core content because general education
         components may be lacking.

4. Transfer D’s
        UH accepts transfer D’s only to establish Core Completion and only if the student is Core Complete. Core
Completion D's will not count as earned hours and will not fulfill prerequisite requirements.

1. English 1303: Composition I (or an equivalent course) is required for all majors. The prerequisite to be in ENGL 1303:
Composition I is:
    a) Texas Success Initiative exemption based on ACT, SAT, or TAAS scores, or
    b) THEA writing score of at least 240, or
    c) An Enhanced ACT English score of at least 19, or
    d) A TSWE (Test of Standard Written English) score of a least 40.

2. Math 1310: College Algebra (or an equivalent course) is required for all majors. The prerequisite to enroll in MATH
1310: College Algebra is:
    a) THEA Math score of 250 or higher, or
    b) An SAT math score of at least 530 (for tests taken on or after 4/l/95), or
    c) An Enhanced ACT composite of at least 21, or
    d) Successful completion (S) of Math 1300, or
    e) A score of 13 or higher on the BA (Beginning Algebra) portion of the Math Placement Exam.

3. Math Placement Exam
    a) A student who has received UH credit (either at UH or in transfer) for a math course that satisfies the UH Core
        Math/Reasoning requirement is considered to have satisfied the prerequisite for any course that has Math 1310:
        College Algebra as prerequisite. No Math Placement Exam is required.
    b) Students should take the math placement exam if they want to take a math course higher than MATH 1310: College
        Algebra but lack the prerequisite course(s), or if they are an Engineering, Pharmacy or Honors College student and
        have not earned credit for Math 1431: Calculus.
    c) A student who has placed out of Math 1310 must still satisfy the Math requirement of 3 credit hours and the
        Math/Reasoning requirement of 3 credit hours.
    d) If a student has already initiated course work without taking the placement exam and now wishes to place higher, the
        student should petition the Math Department for permission to take the Math Placement Exam.
    e) Students should take the on-line Math Placement exam before classes begin. Contact Testing Services, 200 Student
        Service Center (SSC), 713/743-5444, or register on line at TESTING.LAS.UH.EDU.

4. Core Reading Placement
         A passing score (230 or higher) on the reading portion of the THEA test is required to enroll in:
    a) PSYC 1300
    b) HIST 1377: 1378
    c) POLS 1336: 1337


1. English Credit by Exam
Credit for English 1303:
    a) SAT II Writing Test score of 620
    b) AP English Language/Composition score of 3
Credit for English 1303 and 1304 (6sh):
    a) SAT II Writing of 660
    b) AP English Language/Composition score of 4
Credit for English 2397 (satisfies Core Humanities) but NOT ENGL 1304
   a) AP Literature and Composition Exam score of 3

2. Math Credit by Exam
    a) Calculus AB score of 3 = Math 1431
    b) Calculus BC score of 3 = Math 1431-1432 (8 sh)

3. History AP
    a) American History AP score of 3 = 3 sh credit and must take History 1378 or an approved substitute for the
         additional 3 required hours
    b) American History AP score of 4 = 6 sh credit and completion of the American History core requirement

4. Government AP
    a) American Government AP score of 4 = 3 sh hours of credit
               Student must take an additional 3 advanced hours selected from the approved list, and
               Student must NOT take POLS 1336 or 1337
    b) American History AP score of 5 = 6 sh credit and completion of the American Government core requirement

Note that although a student may be ":core complete", he/she is still subject to course specific
departmental requirements. For example, he may have transfer credit for two social science
core courses, neither of which is economics. That might make him/her core complete in social
science, but to fulfill ECE degree requirements, he/she will still have to take ECON 2304. The
same is true of a student who fulfills the Natural Science core with biology or non-major
chemistry. He/she must still take Chem 1372/1117 and Phys 1321-1322 to fulfill ECE specific
degree requirements.
Additional Information

1) Chemistry—We will accept the two semester general chemistry sequence Chem 1331/1111
and Chem 1332/1112 in place of the single semester engineering chemistry (Chem
1372/1117). But both 1331 & 1332 as well as one of the labs must be completed. Transfer
students with one semester of chemistry will generally find that it transfers as the first semester
of CHEM 1331/1111 and therefore still must take the second semester. We will not substitute
CHEM 1331/1111 for CHEM 1372/1117.

2)Enrollment in courses at the 6000 level and above is limited to graduate students.
Undergraduate and PB students may take these courses only if they have a gpa of 3.0 or
above and obtain the approval of both the instructor and the Director of Graduate Students. A
special form is available from the ECE office which the student must fill out and take to the
instructor and Graduate Director. If they approve, they will sign the form and the student will
bring it back to his advisor who may then approve his registration and put the signed form in
the students folder. One course at the 6000 level may be used as an undesignated EE option
elective. A senior may take a graduate course for graduate credit during his last semester IF
the course will not be used to fulfill his BS degree requirements. A combined
Graduate/Undergraduate credit petition must be approved by both the Graduate and the
Undergraduate Directors.

3)Special Problems Courses--A student with senior standing and a cumulative gpa of at least
3.0 may enroll in a Special Problems Course (ECE 4x98) under the supervision of a faculty
member. However, to use the course as an undesignated EE option elective, permission must
be obtained from the Academic Standards Committee during the semester prior to the actual
enrollment, by submission of a written proposal indicating the work to be done. If approved, a
final report must be submitted to the Academic Standards Committee before the student is
given a grade for the course. A maximum of four hours of EE elective credit can be earned in
this fashion. Approval of the Academic Standards Committee is not required if the course will
not be used to fulfill degree requirements, provided that the grade is assigned on an S/U basis

4)Approved Technical Communications Course—This is a specific departmental
requirement. Prior to spring 2004, it could be satisfied by any one of the following courses:
ENGL 2312(Technical Literature, not any other literature course!), ITEC 3363 (Technical
Communications) or ITEC 3372(Communications in the Scientific Workplace). Beginning in
spring 2004, the only acceptable Technical Communications course is ENGI 2304, taught in
the College of Engineering. Beginning in fall 2006, ENGI 2304 (no transfer equivalent) is being
accepted as fulfilling the core Writing Intensive requirement.

5)ECE electives (Breadth & Depth)—Students following the EE option of the BSEE Degree
Plan must complete at least six ECE electives at least three of which must have labs for a total
of 21 hours. At least one course must be taken in each of the two non-computer concentration
areas: (1)Electromagnetics & Solid State Devices (2)Power & Controls (3)Signals &
Communications and (4)Electronics.) At least two additional 3 or 4 hour courses must be
taken at the 5000 level while the remaining two courses may be any 3 or 4 hour ECE electives
at the 3000 level or above except ECE 3336.
Students following the Computer option of the BSEE Degree Plan must have at least two ECE
electives at least one of which must have a lab for a total of 7 hours.
Students following the CPE degree plan must have at least one ECE elective with lab, totaling
4 hours. The courses that may be available as electives are listed, together with their
prerequisites, on a separate page in this Notebook and available to students in the ECE office
or on the ECE webpage.

6)Minors: Students are not required to have a minor. However, if they choose to do so the
necessary paperwork must be filled out in the department in which they choose to minor. Any
courses which are required beyond those in our degree plan must be taken as “extras”--they
cannot be substituted for courses we require. The minor arrangement is strictly between the
student and the minor department--they do not need our approval.

7)Double Majors: The University has a mechanism for a “double major” but states that they
must both fall under the same degree "type". Because each engineering degree is considered
a different "type", it is not possible to double major in engineering. However a student may get
a "second" degree by completing at least 30 hours in addition to what is required for the first
degree—and he may be working on both degrees simultaneously., but see below

8)BSEE+BSCPE. (1)Students with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering who want to
pursue a second bachelor's degree in computer engineering, (2) students with a bachelor's
degree in computer engineering who want to pursue a second bachelor's degree in electrical In
engineering, and (3)students who want to pursue the two degrees simultaneously must meet
all requirements for each degree including residency requirements. In addition, University
policy requires that a student must earn a minimum of 30 semester hours in addition to the
minimum hours needed for the first degree, regardless of whether the two degrees are
awarded simultaneously or successively. A student falling into any one of the three categories
above must file a petition with the ECE Department, indicating precisely which courses will
comprise the additional 30 hours. Such petitions must be approved by the department at least
one semester prior to completion of the second degree. It is not possible to earn both a
BSCPE and a BSEE degree without following these regulations.
Academic Audit
The old Academic Audit is not available in PeopleSoft. Effective spring 2010, PeopleSoft
provides a "degree progress report" which a student must run himself from his UH Peoplesoft

Filing for Graduation

       Early in the semester of graduation, the student must apply for graduation on-line
through PeopleSoft.. The deadline for this is usually about one month after the start of classes
in the fall and spring semesters. Refer to the academic calendar for additional information.
      In addition to meeting the requirements of the particular degree plan, and completion of at
least 30 hours in engineering in residence at University of Houston, the student must have a
cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 overall and at least 2.0 in the major.

Graduating with Honors
Undergraduate students who complete their degree requirements will graduate with the stated
academic honors if they achieve the following grade point averages earned in the last sixty-six
(66) hours completed at the University of Houston. See Catalog for Honors
3.75 to 4.0 Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors)
3.50 to 3.74 Magna Cum Laude (with high honors)
3.25 to 3.49 Cum Laude (with honors)
Undergraduate students who have completed the graduation requirements of the Honors
College, including a senior honors thesis or senior honors project, are graduated with
"University Honors and Honors in Major." Undergraduate students who have completed all
requirements of the Honors College except for the thesis or project are graduated with
"Membership in the Honors College." See University Honors College.
Undergraduate students who successfully complete a senior honors thesis or senior honors
project and who are not members of the Honors College are graduated with "Honors in Major."
    A student may transfer credit from another institution while attending this university if he
/she adheres to the following criteria:

       1. An official transcript must be submitted to the UH Admissions Office for evaluation
       after completing courses at other institutions of higher education. In addition, receiving
       credit for some courses requires additional information to be provided by the student.

       2. By university regulations, a maximum of 66 semester hours of lower division transfer
       work can be applied towards a bachelors degree. The first 66 semester hours of lower
       division transfer work that applies to the degree plan will be accepted for credit.

       3. Only courses in which a grade of "C-" or better was earned may be transferred. In
       addition, the "C-" is required for any mathematics, science, or engineering course to be
       used as a prerequisite for a subsequent course at the University of Houston.

       4. The last 30 hours of any degree must be completed in residence on this campus.
       These 30 hours must be courses that count toward the bachelors degree.

       5. Students must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of engineering courses in
       residence at the University of Houston.

       6. Transfer credit for ECE courses is limited to courses from other ABET accredited
       ECE programs. This generally eliminates two year schools and foreign schools.

The initial evaluation of transfer credit is done by the Office of Records & Enrollment. If the
       Office of Admissions determines that credit is transferable but does not determine
       specific course equivalences, a special petition, called the Undergraduate Transfer
       Credit Petition, must be filled out for each course designated The form and detailed
       instructions are on the UH website:
This will normally require additional course information—syllabus, text, samples of student
   work. Refer such a student to the Director of Undergraduate Studies for guidance.

To top