IN THE MATTER OF: * BEFORE THE
MARYLAND INSURANCE * MARYLAND
ANTHONY V. WEIS * ADMINISTRATION
13708 SUMMER HILL DRIVE * CASE NO. MIA-2007-09-004
PHOENIX, MARYLAND 21131 *
RPI 162254 *
* Enf. File No.: PC-9-2007
The Insurance Commissioner for the State of Maryland (“the Commissioner”) and
Anthony V. Weis (“Weis”) pursuant to §1-101 et seq. of the Insurance Article of the
Annotated Code of Maryland (“Insurance Article”), hereby represent and acknowledge that
they agree to enter into this Consent Order as follows:
1. During the course of investigating a consumer complaint involving Maple
Leaf Title, LLC (“Maple Leaf”), it was discovered that since January 1, 2001
Weis has been appointed as the President of Maple Leaf.
2. Weis’ title producer’s license expired on September 27, 2003.
3. Weis realized he was no longer licensed with the Administration and
submitted an application for his title license on February 22, 2007. Weis
passed the Title Producer’s License exam on February 21, 2007 and his
license was issued on February 26, 2007.
4. Weis was not aware that he, as an officer of a limited liability company, was
required to hold a license to act as a title insurance producer, per § 10-121(3)
of the Insurance Article. Weis did not conduct any closings or act as a title
producer during the time he was unlicensed.
5. Weis admits to the violations described herein, expressed remorse for his
actions, and has fully cooperated with the investigation by the Administration.
The Administration believes issuing this Consent Order is in the public
6. Based upon the results of its investigation, the Administration concluded that
Weis violated §§10-121(b)(3) of the Insurance Article, and is therefore subject
to disciplinary action in accordance with § 10-126(a)(1) of the Insurance
7. Weis has reviewed this Order, and has had the opportunity to have it reviewed
by the counsel of his choosing.
8. Weis is aware of the benefits gained and obligations incurred by the execution
of this Order, and, after careful consideration, Weis executes this Order
knowingly and voluntarily.
THEREFORE, pursuant to § 2-204 to the Insurance Article, it is ORDERED by
the Commissioner and CONSENTED TO by Anthony V. Weis as follows:
(1) Anthony V. Weis, License No. 162254, shall pay an administrative penalty
simultaneously with his signing of the Consent Order in the amount of Five
Hundred Dollars ($500.00).
(2) Nothing herein shall be deemed a waiver of the Commissioner’s right to proceed in
an administrative or civil action for the violation of statutes not specifically included
in this Consent Order, nor shall anything here be deemed a waiver of the right of
Weis to contest such proceeding. Additionally, Weis understands and agrees that
this Consent Order addresses and resolves only the administrative actions by the
Compliance and Enforcement Section of the Administration. This Consent Order
shall not be construed to resolve or preclude any potential or pending civil,
administrative, or criminal action or prosecution by any other person, entity or
governmental authority, including but not limited to the Insurance Fraud Division
of the Administration, regarding any conduct by Weis including the conduct that
is the subject of this Consent Order.
(3) For the purposes of the business of this Administration, the records and publications
of the Maryland Insurance Administration will reflect this decision. It is subject to
disclosure under the Maryland Public Information Act found in Md. Code Ann.,
State Government §10-613.
(4) All administrative penalties should be made payable to the Maryland Insurance
Administration and sent to the attention of Megan Hayes, Appeals Clerk,
Maryland Insurance Administration, 525 St. Paul Place, Baltimore, Maryland
21202-2272. Please include the MIA Order number. Unpaid fines will be referred
to the Central Collections Unit for collection.
(5) Failure to comply with the terms of this Consent Order may subject Weis to further
legal and/or administration action.
(6) This document contains the ENTIRE AGREEMENT between the parties and
supersedes any earlier agreement or negotiations, whether oral or written.
It is so ORDERED this 23rd day of July, 2007.
PEGGY J. WATSON
INTERIM INSURANCE COMMISSIONER
Signature on file with original
P. Todd Cioni
Compliance & Enforcement
ANTHONY V. WEIS’S CONSENT
Anthony V. Weis hereby CONSENTS to the representations made in, and terms of, the
Signature on file with original
Anthony V. Weis