HONORS U.S. HISTORY
UNIT 6: THE COLD WAR & VIETNAM – PHOTOSTORY PROJECT
You will be working with a partner to create a Microsoft Photostory 3 project that depicts images with captions and
music for a topic from the Vietnam War era of U.S. History.
Microsoft Photostory 3 is a program that allows you to create a pictorial presentation with transitions
between pictures, captions and music.
The program is available for free download online for you to work on the project at home and at school:
o A file on my website under Honors U.S. History class files is available for you to print off with
clear instructions on how to use Microsoft Photostory 3 & how to record narration
You should have a portable usb drive to transport your project to and from school – don’t rely on email
You will have 2 computer lab days and about 1 ½ weeks to complete the project.
We will draw for topics - you will then research for images and music that will tell the story of that event
or time period – you may trade with another duo if they are willing to trade for a different project
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS – 3 PTS EACH – 15 PTS TOTAL
1. Length of presentation: 2 to 3 minutes using at least 20 images
a. You should both introduce the topic with a brief (20 to 30 seconds) recorded introduction setting up
the presentation for the audience.
b. The First image should be your title image: include a caption that clearly states the topic for the
presentation & your names
2. Image quality: should be clear (save images at WMV format 320x240)
3. Captions: each image must have a clearly visible, correctly typed caption identifying each image
a. The captions should be also be turned in typed out on separate paper in the order the image appear
w/your topic/names at top
b. The location of the caption and length should not distract from the image
4. Narration – you should record a narration explaining each image
a. Explain the image w/o simply stating “This is a picture of …”
5. Music: the presentation should contain at least 2 pieces of music from that era that play in the background
CONTENT EXPECTATIONS – 3 PTS EACH – 21 PTS TOTAL
1. Introduction clearly sets up the presentation for the audience
2. Thoroughly researched - Images are appropriate and connected to the topic covering topic thoroughly
3. Logical organization to tell the story - Images are organized logically
4. Captions are correct and clearly stated for the audience
5. Narrations clearly explain the image
6. Custom motion between images that does not distract from story.
7. Music is appropriate for the story being told (both songs)
1. The French in Vietnam & early U.S. support (up to 1960)
2. Vietnam during the Kennedy years 1960-63 (Up to the overthrow of Diem)
3. The Gulf of Tonkin Incident & Gulf of Tonkin Resolution
4. Operation Rolling Thunder & the U.S. air war in Vietnam
5. The U.S. pacification program & My Lai Massacre
6. U.S. military nurses in Vietnam
7. 1968: The Tet Offensive & the U.S. response
8. 1968: The assassinations of Robert Kennedy & Martin Luther King, Jr.
9. 1968: The Democratic Convention & Nixon’s election
10. The student protest movement during Vietnam
11. The Kent State shootings
12. The U.S. pullout from Vietnam & the fall of Saigon
DUE DATE: FRIDAY, MARCH 27th in teacher inbox by end of class period
VALUE: ____ 36 PTS