Consider a test you have recently
taken. Respond to each SURVEY OF TEST
statement with a yes or no. TAKING STRATEGIES
STATEMENT YES NO
1. I surveyed the entire test before answering the questions.
2. I read and followed the test directions.
3. I marked the wrong choice.
4. I changed a correct answer to a wrong answer.
5. I noticed absolute words such as always and never in
responding to questions.
6. I planned how to use my time for the test (if a time limit was
7. I answered the easiest questions first.
8. I used some parts of the test to help myself answer other
sections of the test.
9. The information was not in my notes.
10. I recognized the information but couldn't answer.
11. I had trouble concentrating.
12. I think I studied the wrong information.
13. I couldn't apply the information.
14. My mind went blank.
15. I understood the major concepts but not the details.
16. I misunderstood the question.
17. I had problems with the vocabulary.
18. I didn't use common sense in responding to questions.
The first eight statements are specifically about your test wiseness. If you responded YES to statements
1,2,5,6,7,8 and responded NO to statements 3 and 4, you probably have good test taking skills. In fact, you
may actually enjoy taking tests.
The last ten statements refer to your knowledge preparation and anxiety levels about the test. If you answered
YES to statements 11 and 14, you may want to consider how anxious you are about testing situations. If you
answered YES to statements 9,10,12,13,15,16,17,18, your test preparation needs improvement.