Document Sample
BREAKING THE BARRIERS tinnitus Powered By Docstoc
					A handbook for disabled students
At the Royal College of Music

                Page   1     30/07/2010
Welcome to the Royal College of Music
The participation of students with disabilities in all aspects of the academic and
performing life of the RCM is encouraged and welcomed. As a leading British
conservatoire, we aim to provide musical education and professional training at the
highest international level to meet the aspirations of as many as possible of those who
have the ability and motivation to benefit. Students are recruited on the basis of their
musical abilities and potential. For further details refer to our prospectus which is
available at or from the Royal College of Music, Prince Consort Road,
London SW7 2BS, Tel: 44 (0) 20-7591-3643.

The RCM aims to ensure that no student, member of staff, or visitor to performances
and other events is subjected to unfair discrimination. The RCM is committed to an
equal opportunities policy (1994) which states that it will not discriminate unfairly on
grounds of age (except for normal obligatory retirement in the case of employment),
colour, disability, marital status, race, religion, class, gender, sexual orientation or other
such unjustifiable cause.

This booklet provides information to prospective and current students of the Royal
College of Music (RCM) about our policy and procedures for disabled students. It
includes arrangements to support students with disabilities including financial support,
academic support, our buildings, facilities and equipment.

We hope you find it useful.

This handbook is available in Braille, large print and electronically or on
audio tape. You can also download your own copy as a Word document
from the RCM website:

For further information, please contact the Student Services Manager:
Tel: +44 (0)20 7591 4316 or by email:

Defining Disability

Disclosure and Confidentiality

Applying to the RCM
      Open Days
      Application Stages
      The Audition
      Course Offers

Help and Advice at the RCM

Academic Life at the RCM
      Studying, Assessments and Examinations
      Additional Support Arrangements
      Visually Impaired Students
      Students with Dyslexia

IT Facilities and equipment


Your Health and Safety

Access to our Buildings

Student Halls and Accommodation

Monitoring Provision for students with disabilities

Future disability –related developments

Who can I contact?

Financial Information
     General Enquiries
     Access to Learning Funds
     Disabled Students Allowance
     Charities

Useful contacts and websites

Sample Form

DSA Information Sheet

Data protection and your rights.

Defining Disability
The term disability can include a wide range of visible or hidden impairments including
physical and mobility difficulties, hearing impairments, visual impairments, and specific
learning difficulties including dyslexia, medical conditions and mental health problems.

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995, amended to include a Part 1V covering the
provision of education by the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001
defines people as disabled if they have:

…a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse
effect on the ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Disclosure and confidentiality
If you have any disability related issues or concerns you would like to discuss, perhaps
in confidence, we encourage you to contact the Student Services Manager as early as
possible. We will agree with you what information will be passed onto academic staff if

Applying to the RCM

Open Days

Open Days are normally held in April. If you are thinking about applying and have
concerns about access or wish to discuss disability facilities and support arrangements
please contact the Student Services Manager on 0207 591 4316 or email

Application Stages

The Application deadline through CUKAS (Conservatoires UK Admission System) is
1st October and auditions are usually held in December.

The Audition

The audition normally lasts about 15 minutes. You may be required to play a
prescribed piece and a piece of your own choice.

Violinists, pianists and singers have a two-stage audition process, with a final panel
later in the day.

If invited to audition you will be notified in November and you will be invited to contact
the Student Services Manager if you want us to consider any arrangements or you
have any concerns about the effect of a disability, medical condition etc. For example,
if you have dyslexia or are visually impaired, you may want extra time or the sight-
reading section of the audition. We can provide Braille sight-reading. Contact Lynnette
Easterbrook, Student Services Manager, or David Harpham, the Registry Admissions
Officer, for further information. Your enquiries can be dealt with confidentially.

Course Offer

Recruitment decisions are made on the basis of musical ability and potential.

Offers are sent out by CUKAS either prior to Christmas, or approximately 3 weeks after
your audition. Scholarship offers are made at same time for those eligible.

If you are successful in your application and decide to accept a place at the RCM, you
are welcome to discuss any specific needs you may have with the Student Services
Manager. You may want to visit the College to assess whether there are any needs you
have which you might not have thought of already. Arrangements can then be made in
advance of your arrival on your course. For example, if you are visually impaired, you
may wish to have orientation training around our building with the RNIB.
At the same time you will receive Information about College Hall, and a Confidential
Welfare Form which gives the opportunity to disclose a disability.

Confidential Welfare forms are passed to the Student Services Manager who can
provide further information about support arrangements and funding.

Help and Advice at the RCM
All students have access to Student Services which includes welfare advice,
counselling and accommodation services. Students also have access to careers advice
through the Woodhouse Centre, the RCM's professional centre. Due to the specialist
nature of the RCM and its relatively small number of students we are currently able to
address students' specific needs on a one-to-one basis.

The aim of our Student Services is to support you in a way that enables you to be an
independent member of our student community. You may find that you need some
extra support while you are studying at the RCM. Each student who discloses a
disability or support need will be offered the opportunity to develop a Learning
Agreement tailored to that individual. (See below).
Eligible students are encouraged to apply for the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)
from Student Finance England , to pay for specific needs arising out of the impact of a
disability on a student‟s learning.

Academic life at the RCM
During the first week of term there is a „Student Expo‟ for new students as well as
various induction talks. These present an opportunity for you to find out more about
the college.

If you have not already told us about your disability you might choose to do so at this
stage. If so, we will invite you to arrange a Personalised Learning Agreement (see
separate attachment) . This is done with the Student Services Manager, Head of
Undergraduate programmes/Head of Graduate School as appropriate,. This
document focuses on the various arrangements for coursework and exams , and
support needs can be negotiated with the agreement of the student e.g. extra time for
exams, flexible deadlines for coursework.The document is sent in either complete or
shortened form to those who need to know, merely detailing the impact of the student‟s
disability/medical condition/specific learning disorder on learning, and the adjustments
to teaching that are required. This is a confidential document, and only formulated
with the consent of the student. It is reviewed annually or termly (at the student‟s
preference) or at any time if the student feels the need. The aim is to ensure that any
adjustments or support needs are met without you having to ask each time, and for it
to become a normal part of the administration.

Studying, Assessments and Examinations

Detailed information about the content of your chosen courses of study is set out in the
BMus (Hons) programme handbook (undergraduates) and the Integrated Masters
Programme Handbook for instrumentalists and composers, as well as the Vocal and
Opera Pathway Handbooks, and the DMus Handbook (postgraduate). These are
available from the Registry and are displayed on the College's Web site.

One-to-one tutorials, specialist equipment for communication, extra time for
examinations, alternative methods of assessment, personal readers and repetiteurs,
and flexibility with course deadlines are options that may be offered to students with
disabilities. The specific arrangements are determined on an individual basis with you
and relevant staff, when drawing up a Learning Agreement; where appropriate,
reference to external examiners and other experts may be made.

At the RCM there are opportunities for students to study abroad for between three and
nine months under the Socrates-Erasmus scheme. Extra funding is available for
students with disabilities. For further information contact the International & Awards
Officer in the Registry.

Additional Support Arrangements

The Student Services Manager can help you make support arrangements related to
disability or to find another student who is able to support your specific needs. If you
are receiving the Disabled Students' Allowance (see below) you may be able to
organise payment from this.

As well as providing skilled teaching and administrative staff, the RCM is linked to a
strong network of support agencies and external bodies. The principal support agency
for the RCM is the Imperial College Health Centre. This provides access to doctors,
nurses, specialists, a psychiatrist, psychotherapists, counsellors and complementary

Other support agencies include the Royal National Institute for the Blind, the National
Bureau for Students with Disabilities (SKILL), the British Association for Performing
Arts Medicine, and the British Dyslexia Association.

Visually Impaired Students

A range of means is available to enable students with visual impairments to study at
RCM, including enlarging documents, assistive technology, such as JAWS and
Zoomtext software on student access PCs and Braille embossing equipment . It is
usually possible to recruit a reader or non-medical helper from the student body.
Orientation and general mobility training can be arranged prior to study, and
accommodation close to College can usually be arranged if preferred.

Students can also benefit from individual advice from and the support of the RCM
Fellow in Music and Visual Impairment, Jackie Clifton. From time to time Jackie also
runs workshops on various practical issues, such as performance presentation skills
and applying for jobs. There may also be opportunities to participate in a range of
collaborative projects with other colleges, universities and organisations. Prospective
students with visual impairments, whether registered or not, are invited to contact the
Student Services Manager to discuss their individual requirements.

Students with Dyslexia

UK based „home‟ students and EU students who satisfy the “ordinary residence” criteria
of being in the UK for three years who have had a psychological assessment to
diagnose dyslexia are encouraged to apply for the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)
. Students may be eligible (following the recommendations of a Needs Assessment) to
purchase assistive technology equipment e.g. a PC and software, and one to one
dyslexia support, using the DSA. In College, a range of reasonable adjustments may
be made, according to individual requirements, including extra time for assignments
and exams.
International and other students who are ineligible to apply for DSA should contact the
Student Services Manager to discuss their requirements and possible sources of

Students who do not have a prior diagnosis, but who think they may be dyslexic, may
be eligible for financial assistance to pay for a psychological assessment, depending on
their circumstances. Please contact the Student Services Manager in confidence if
you think you may be dyslexic.

IT Facilities and equipment
The RCM has facilities for word processing and computer use. Information Technology
Services can advise you about any specific computer requirements you may have.

The RCM Library is happy to advise according to individual needs. For example Braille
and audio materials can be obtained from the RNIB library. Equipment is available for
the enlarging of documents.

Your Health and Safety
If you have a medical condition which may be subject to sudden or sporadic episodes
it may also be necessary to inform first aiders so we can discuss with you what action
we need to take. Please discuss any health and safety concerns you may have in
confidence with the Student Services Manager, who can arrange for first aiders to be

Access to our Buildings
There are six main areas on the campus of the Royal College of Music - the Blomfield
Building, the 1965 Building, the Opera School, the Britten Theatre, the Concert
Hall and the Percussion Suite.

Access to the Blomfield Building, which was built in 1984, for students and visitors with
mobility problems who cannot access the stairs, is by accessible entrance to the
eastern side of the frontage. The building contains most of the teaching rooms and
administrative offices and is generally accessible for wheelchair users via a lift, which
has recently been refurbished to improve access.

The main Concert Hall is in the Blomfield Building, and has recently been refurbished.
There is a platform wheelchair lift at the entrance to the Concert Hall auditorium, as
there are stairs from the entrance to the seating area.
A covered way connects the Blomfield and 1965 Buildings. There is a designated rest
room on the ground floor of the 1965 Building. There is access to all floors of the 1965
building via a large lift
The 1965 Building contains the dining room, practice facilities, students' association
and students' bar and common room. The RCM Studios, Library and Museum are
accessible via the courtyard. A special route from the courtyard is available for access
to the Britten Theatre auditorium, where there is a reserved area for wheelchair users.
Accessible toilets are available in the 1965 Building, the Blomfield Building and
the Britten theatre.

Improved signage throughout our site is planned, with some already installed.

Parking for disabled visitors can be arranged with Imperial College Car Park. This is
located at the back of the 1965 Building. Otherwise there are disabled parking bays on
Prince Consort Road.

Student Halls and Accommodation
The RCM Hall of Residence (College Hall) based in Shepherd's Bush, houses one
hundred and seventy students. There is an accessible bedroom and bathroom on the
ground floor, and practice room access at ground floor level. There is a lift providing
access from the Manja Leigh Hall level to the student common room area, ramps from
the back door to the ground floor lobby and automatic doors front and back.

Monitoring provision for students with disabilities
We welcome feedback from students and actively collect this annually through the
Learning Agreement Framework. The responsibility for the monitoring and review of the
College's human resources and support services lies with the RCM Council and is
undertaken on behalf of the Council by the Welfare and Diversity Committee, the
Executive Committee of Council, Senior Management Team and the Board of

Future disability-related developments
The RCM is committed to continuing development and review of policies and practices
designed to ensure equality of opportunity and treatment of those who are, or who seek
to be, its students or employees. It will, where suitable, initiate new policies and
practices and in meeting these commitments will take due account of any duties or
obligations imposed by law.

The College will encourage greater awareness of its aims, policies and procedures in
the field of equal opportunities and provide appropriate information and training as
required. There is an ongoing programme of improving the provision for students with
disabilities, including the review and updating of policies and procedures and staff

Who can I contact?
The Student Services Manager, Lynnette Easterbrook is responsible for the
coordination of support for students with disabilities. Contact the Student Services
Manager if you have any further questions that are not covered in this leaflet.
Lynnette Easterbrook
Student Services Manager

Tel: 44 (0)20 7591 4316

David Harpham
Registry Officer

Tel: 44 (0)20 7591 4362

Jackie Clifton,
RCM Research Fellow in Music and Visual Impairment,

Financial Information

General Enquiries

For general enquiries about funding and managing your money please contact the
Student Services Manager.

Access to Learning Funds

There are two hardship funds at the RCM, the Access to Learning Fund and Mid-term
Study Support grants. Most UK students can apply for an Access to Learning Fund
grant if they are struggling to make ends meet. Priority is given to students with
disabilities who have difficulties in meeting their living costs. Overseas students who
are facing an unexpected change in their financial situation can apply for mid-term
study support grants. Further details are available from the Student Services Manager.

Disabled Students Allowance

Disabled Students‟ Allowance (DSA) helps home students and EU students (who
satisfy the “ordinary residence” criteria of being in the UK for three years), pay any
extra costs that arise because of a disability. DSA is paid to degree students and
postgraduate students by LEA‟s (England and Wales), the Students' Awards Agency
for Scotland (SAAS) or, in Northern Ireland, your Education and Library Board.

If you are a student from abroad, or you are paying for your own studies, you are not
usually eligible for the allowance. However, there is a small fund dedicated to
supporting disabled EU and international students who are not eligible for DSA.

DSA is not means-tested. This means it does not depend on your personal finances.
You can receive DSA even if you do not qualify for help with fees or the means-tested
element of the student loan.

There are three parts to DSA:

Specialist Equipment Allowance pays for equipment such as computers and

software. For example, if you are visually impaired, you may need a computer with
voice recognition software. If you have dyslexia you may require a computer with
appropriate software or assistance with writing music and essays., tape recorders,
specialist furniture (one amount to cover the whole of your period of study).

Non-Medical Helpers’ Allowance pays for specialist tuition (for example for dyslexia),
for helpers such as sign language interpreters or communicators, note-takers, and
mobility-enablers. This allowance may be granted to meet such costs for each year of
your study.

General Allowance can pay for extra books or books in an alternative format,
photocopying, extra heating costs, tapes, disks and towards costs of additional
disability related accommodation costs e.g. en-suite accommodation. You can get this
allowance to meet these costs for each year of study.

You can also apply for help with travel expenses if you have extra costs because of

To apply for DSA, contact Student Finance England , or the SAAS or your Education
and Library Board to find out what information they need before you begin your course.
 We suggest that you apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance as early as possible,
ideally before you start your course at the RCM so that when you arrive any support
arrangements and computer equipment you may be eligible for are already set up.

The Student Services Manager can assist you in making applications for the DSA.
Before you can apply you will need to have an updated educational assessment. We
can help arrange assessments at access centres, and have contacts with organisations
and agencies for the provision of specialist equipment.


There are a number of outside bodies providing grants and loans for disabled students
to which applications can be made (e.g. Royal Society of Musicians, The Kate Man
Memorial Fund, The Snowdon Trust, The Rivendell Trust and Action for the Blind).
SKILL, The National Bureau for Students with Disabilities, has very useful information
on its website about charitable trusts . This can be found at:

Useful Contacts and Websites

General Disability Organisations

British Council of Disabled People

A national „umbrella‟ organisation set up by disabled people to represent their interests at
national level.

British Council of Disabled People
Litchurch Plaza
Litchurch Lane
Derby DE24 8AA

Phone:       01332 295551
Textphone:   01332 295581
Fax:         01332 295580


Skill is a national charity promoting opportunities for young people and adults with any
kind of disability in post-16 education, training and employment across the UK.

The National Bureau for Students with Disabilities
Chapter House
8-20 Crucifix Lane
London SE1 3JW

Phone:       0800 3285050 (free call, Monday to Friday 1:30pm to 4:30pm)
Textphone:   0800 0682422 (free call, Monday to Friday 1:30pm to 4:30pm)

Disability and Arts


Information and advice for disabled people interested in the arts in London.

54 Chalton Street
London NW1 1HS

Phone and Textphone:   020 7388 2227

National Music & Disability Information Service (Sound Sense)
NMDIS offers free information and advice to give disabled people choices and
opportunities in music. Services and activities include the following; Networking.
Advocacy. Publications, Information and Lobbying.

7 Tavern Street

Tel: 01449 673 990
Fax: 01449 673 994
Best time to telephone: 9am - 5pm, Monday - Friday

Musicians in Focus
Musicians in Focus provides a central point of contact for the exchange and
dissemination of information for visually impaired musicians


British Association for Performing Arts Medicine

4th Floor
Totara Park House
34 - 36 Gray's Inn Road
WC14 8HR

Tel: Helpline 020 7404 8444 (London)
Tel: Helpline 0845 602 0235 (elsewhere)
Tel: Admin 020 7404 58881
Fax: 020 7404 3222

The London Regional Arts Council

For support and funding service to artists. You can also contact your Regional Arts Board.

The London Regional Arts Council
2 Pear Tree Court
London EC1R 0DS

Phone:       020 7608 6100
Fax:         020 7608 4100
Textphone:   020 7608 4101

Government Funding Bodies

Department for Education and Skills

Mowden Hall
Standrop Road
Darlington DL3 9BG

Phone:       01325 392822 (information line)

Department of Education Northern Ireland (DENI)

Rathgael House
Balloo Road
Co. Down
BT19 7PR
Phone:      02891 279279
Fax:        02891 279100

Student Awards Agency for Scotland

Gyleview House
3 Redheughs Rigg
EH12 9HH

Phone:       0131 476 8212

Access Centres
For DSA assessments and information about specialist equipment.

Computer Centre for People with Disabilities (CCPD)

University of Westminster
72 Great Portland Street
London W1N 5AL

Phone:     020 7911 5808
Textphone: 020 7911 5163
Fax:       020 7911 5162

Central London Assessment Centre (CLASS)
72 Great Portland Street
Tel: 020 7911 5808
Fax: 020 7911 5162
Website :
Regional Access Centre (East London)

Romford Road
London E15 4LZ

Phone:       020 8223 4118
Textphone:   020 8223 2546
Fax:         020 8223 4949

Dyslexia Organisations

Adult Dyslexia Organisation
An organisation run by dyslexic people for dyslexic people and all those concerned with

Phone:       020 7924 9559

Arts Dyslexia Trust
A trust concentrating on the positive aspects of dyslexia, focusing mainly on the arts.

Arts Dyslexia Trust
Lodge Cottage, Brabourne Lees,
Ashford, Kent, TN25 6QZ. U.K.

Phone/fax:   01233 812492

British Dyslexia Association

British Dyslexia Association
98 London Road
Berkshire RG1 5AU

Phone:       0118 966 8271

The Dyslexia Institute
For psychological assessments and tuition support for people who have dyslexia.

The Dyslexia Institute
2 Grosvenor Gardens
London SW1W 0DH

Phone:       020 7730 8890
Fax:         020 7730 0273

The Dyslexia Teaching Centre
The Dyslexia Teaching Centre has an expert team of assessors and trainers working
with adults in Higher Education.
They provide individual diagnostic assessments which give a detailed picture of a
person's learning pattern with appropriate and helpful recommendations as to the way
forward. Assessment reports can be used to apply for funding under the Government's
DSA scheme, providing specialist teaching and equipment. They also provide
individualised programmes of support, each tailor-made to suit the individual's needs.
The team has a keen understanding of how to support those with specific learning
difficulties and equip them with effective strategies to make their studies easier.

Contact: Joanna Petty, Director

The Dyslexia Teaching Centre
23 Kensington Square London
W8 5HN

Tel: 020 7361 4790
Fax: 020 7938 4816

Very close to the RCM.

Disability Specific Organisations

The National Autistic Society
The National Autistic Society provides includes advice and information about autism and
Asperger syndrome.

393 City Road
London EC1V 1NG

Helpline:     0845 070 4004

British Stammering Association
For advice and information for specialist help and contacts.

British Stammering Association
15 Old Ford Road
London E2 9PJ

Phone:        020 8983 1003

Helpline:     0845 603 2001
Fax:          020 8983 3591

Mind is the National mental health charity. It works to create a better life for people with
experience of mental distress.

Phone: 0845 7660163 (Information Line)

Royal National Institute for the Deaf (RNID)
The RNID Information Line offers free confidential and impartial information on a range
of subjects including tinnitus, employment, equipment, legislation and
benefits, as well as many issues relating to deafness and hearing loss.

19-23 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8SL
Telephone: 0808 808 0123
Textphone: 0808 808 9000

Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB)
Tape and Braille services, student support services, benefits rights, awareness training.

105 Jubb Street,
London WC1H 9HE

Phone:        020 7388 1266 or 0845 766 9999 (9am-5pm, Monday-Friday)


 Royal College of Music

Permanent                                                   Tel:
Programme Name (eg                                          Principal Study (eg
BMus):                                                      Viola):

The RCM aims to ensure that no student is subjected to unfair discrimination. In order to ensure
this, we ask you to let us know if you have any additional requirements arising out of a disability so
that we can make any necessary adjustments.

1. Do you have a disability or health issue that we should know about?            Please tick:

   ❒      Dyslexia                                     ❒ Mental health issue
   ❒      Visually impaired                            ❒ Unseen disability
   ❒      Deaf/hearing impaired                        ❒ Multiple disability
   ❒      Wheelchair user                              ❒ Not listed above (please
   ❒      Personal care support

2. Have you applied for the Disabled Students Allowance? ❒Yes                        ❒No
If „No‟, would you like more information about it?  ❒ Yes                     ❒ No

3. Any other information you would like us to know:

On receipt of this information, the Student Services Manager will contact you to discuss
any requirements you may have. If you would like to speak to the Student Services
Manager about any issues mentioned on this form, please call +44 (0)20 7591 4316 or

Information you give on this form will be made available to the Registry and the
Student Services Manager in the first instance. Should this information need to be
conveyed to other RCM staff, we will seek your permission. The information will
also be passed, in anonymised form, to HESA, for statistical purposes. Please see
over for more details 

I consent for the above information to be made available as described above.

Signed:                                                        Date:

Data Protection and your rights

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have the right to a copy of the data held about you by the
RCM for a small fee (please contact the Registry Manager).

The RCM is obliged to provide the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) with some of the
information we hold about you in an anonymised form for statistical analysis. This information is
passed to central government departments and agencies and devolved administrations to enable
them to carry out their statutory functions under the Education Acts. This will result in publication
and release of data to other approved non-statutory users, which may include academic
researchers and commercial bodies.
You may wish to note that contact details will not be made available to HESA and names will not
be used or included in its statistical analysis. Precautions are taken to minimise the risk that you
will be able to be identified from the data. Users of HESA data will not be able to use the data to
contact you. Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have the right to a copy of the data held
about you by HESA for a small fee. If you have any concerns about, or objections to, the use of
data for these purposes, please contact HESA directly (; 18 Royal Crescent,
Cheltenham, GL50 3DA).

Student Services


                          DISABLED STUDENTS’ ALLOWANCE (DSA)

What is the Disabled Students’ Allowance?

If you are in higher education and have a disability or a specific learning difficulty, such as
dyslexia, you may be able to get extra funding from the disabled students‟ allowances. These
allowances are intended to cover any extra costs or expenses you have while studying that arise
because of your disability. They are not intended to pay for:
     Disability related costs that you would have, whether a student or not
     Study costs that every student might have

There are four components to DSA: (for undergraduates)
    Specialist Equipment Allowance –(one amount for the whole of the course) To pay for
       equipment such as computers, tape recorders, specialist furniture.
    Non Medical helpers Allowance –To pay for specialist tuition (eg for dyslexia), for helpers
       such as sign language interpreters/communicators, mobility enablers for each year of your
    General Allowance – To pay for extra books or photocopying, extra heating costs, tapes
       and discs etc for each year of your studies.

Note: Postgraduate DSAs consist of one amount per year for all costs.

       Travel costs – To pay for extra costs which you incur because of disability (no limit)

Who can apply for DSA?

You can apply for DSA if you are in part time or full time higher education, and fulfil certain
residency requirements. DSA is not means tested, so even if you do not qualify for fee support or
the means tested part of the loan you can still receive DSA.
EU students (who satisfy the “ordinary residence” criteria of being in the UK for three years) can
apply for DSA. International student are not eligible to apply for DSA.

How to apply

Contact Student Finance ,, Student Finance Wales , Student Finance Northern Ireland or the
Student Awards Agency for Scotland, (Continuing student s may need to contact their Local
Education Authority).
You will need to provide evidence of your disability, such as a medical report or dyslexia report
(written since age 16). You may also be asked to complete a DSA application form.
You will be required to have an assessment of needs. This looks at how your disability affects
you and what support you require to complete your course. There is a National Federation of
Access Centres which specialise in assessing students‟ needs. Your local authority should be
able to give you contacts for these, but you should in any case ensure that your LEA or the
relevant Student Finance company approves the assessor you choose.

Once your DSA has been agreed, suppliers of equipment or services are usually paid direct, but
some LEAs will send the money directly to you. Remember you will need to keep receipts to prove
that you have spent the money on the correct equipment/support.

If you would like to discuss this in confidence, (for example, if you think you may be dyslexic,)
please contact the Student Services Manager in Room 70b, 0207 591 4316 or email


Shared By:
Description: BREAKING THE BARRIERS tinnitus