INSTITUTE OF CHARTERED SHIPBROKERS
GUIDELINES TO ICS CANDIDATES
What to expect during your exam
Don’t forget - you MUST provide photo identification to be admitted to the examination.
• Make absolutely sure you have checked the Examination Timetable and that you have the
right date and time of your exam. People who miss their exams cannot re-sit until the next
• Please bring your student registration number with you to the exam.
• Make certain you know where your examination centre is, and how to get there. Get there
in plenty of time. Candidates arriving more than 30 minutes late will not be admitted into the
• It’s your responsibility to bring your equipment (pens, pencils, calculators etc) for the exam.
• All equipment must be in a see through case/container.
• No electronic devices whatsoever will be allowed. This includes cell phones/pagers/
• Calculators are only permitted if they are not programmable. Candidates should note that any
calculators with an alpha keyboard will be disallowed. Failure to comply could result in your
• Dictionaries are not allowed.
• No smoking, food or drink is permitted.
• Scrap paper is not permitted. You may only write on your examination answer booklet.
Anything you don’t want marked needs to be crossed out.
• The use of correction fluid is not permitted.
• You will be called into the examination room a few minutes early and asked to find the desk
with your student registration number on it.
• Pay attention to the instructions on the answer booklets. Do not turn over the question paper
until instructed to do so.
• Every year mistakes occur because people haven’t paid attention to the specific instructions.
The best thing you can do is manage your nerves and take some time at the beginning of the
exam to follow all the written instructions carefully.
• Answer the question carefully (see Study and Examination Guidelines for further details).
• Manage your time and have a plan of action before the exam. You have five questions to
answer in 3 hours, meaning you have an average of 36 minutes per question. Make sure that
you are in the right frame of mind to address this much work and make sure you take into
account some time for reading the question, planning your answers and proofreading at the
• You may not leave your place during the examination without the express permission of the
• Follow all instructions given to you by the examination invigilator.
• If you choose to leave the examination room early (not recommended!) you may only do so
after the first 40 minutes has elapsed. You may not leave the room during the last 15 minutes.
• No one may leave the room without handing their answer and question paper to the invigilator.
• At the end of the examination, no one will be allowed to leave until all question papers and
answer booklets have been collected.
• Be aware the invigilators are only there to issue necessary instructions and manage the exam.
They are not permitted to enter into any discussion with candidates whatsoever. Any attempt
to communicate with other candidates will be met with the utmost disdain. Such behaviour will
be reported by the invigilator to the Institute who may consider such misconduct to be grounds
Use of laptops. Laptops may only be used if ICS has formally granted a candidate
a “reasonable adjustment” in response to a formal submission of a Compassionate
Consideration application. If granted the following procedure is to be followed:
(a) Laptops provided by candidates have to be approved by ICS invigilator.
(b) Each candidate is to provide a blank memory stick.
(c) The candidate is not permitted to access the computer hard or external discs apart from the
memory stick during the examination.
(d) Invigilator is to take the memory stick from candidate at end of exam and print off a copy of
(e) Invigilator is to place printed answer sheets in a standard blue script folder and get candidate
to sign printed answers before candidate is allowed to leave the exam room.
(f) The only writing candidates will be expected to do will be on the world map and only for
specific exam papers/questions.
(g) Spellcheck is NOT to be disabled.
(h) No internet connection is permitted.
(i) Candidates to switch off auto-correct function.
Please note that from April 2009 candidates will in some subjects be provided with a
blank world map. For more details and a copy of the map to be used visit www.ics.org.uk
and go to the student help desk.