TACOMA PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Immediate Supervisor /Date
EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT, ____________________________________
BEHAVIOR EDUCATION SERVICES Administrator /Date
Human Resources /Date
This position assists a certificated teacher with instructional and non-instructional activities for students with
emotional and/or behavior disabilities and, possibly, with learning and/or physical disabilities in the assigned
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Tutors students individually or in small groups in assigned learning activity; provides assistance to students
as necessary; provides encouragement to students.
2. Monitors student progress on daily logs and prepares reports; maintains communication with classroom
teacher and program administrator; maintains student records; communicates with parents as assigned.
3. Acts as a positive model for student behavior; corrects inappropriate and demonstrates appropriate
behavior; assists in classroom management; administers discipline according to classroom rules; resolves
student conflicts and de-escalates situations; instructs student in appropriate conflict resolution.
4. Assists teacher in planning and adapting materials and activities as directed; plans and delivers assigned
lessons to class or small groups of students; assists in administering standardized tests as assigned.
5. Monitors students to ensure they remain in class and do not injure themselves or others; restrains and calms
students when they become violent or destructive; supervises students in the assigned program at
recess/breaks, in hallways and cafeteria, etc.; escorts students in the assigned program to and from buses.
6. In the autism program, assists students with toileting; changes diapers as needed, assists students with other
grooming and hygiene needs; may assist students with self-feeding as needed; may use basic sign language
as needed; restrains and calms students when they become self-abusive or violent toward others; monitors
and protects students through seizures and other physical emergencies; supervises student vocational
training such as laundry or recycling services; performs sensory stimulation activities as assigned; uses
adaptive equipment; assists students to perform activities during adaptive physical education; administers
and logs medications as assigned.
7. Participates in building staff meetings; provides information regarding students.
8. Assists in planning special activities for students; accompanies students on field trips and all special
activities, including inclusion periods.
Tacoma Public Schools
BEHAVIOR EDUCATION SERVICES
9. Provides general clerical assistance; duplicates materials and completes necessary paperwork; tests students
and records scores.
10. Supervises students for brief periods when teacher is out of the room or during teacher=s planning period.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. May perform cleansing intermittent catheterizations after receiving required training.
2. May pick-up and serve lunches, may be assigned to other classrooms as needed.
3. Performs related duties as assigned.
Reports to Assistant Director, Special Education; receives direction from assigned assistant director, teacher,
Confined to work area; exposed to body fluids and infectious disease; substantial requirement to deal with
distraught and/or potentially violent people; may regularly travel to other district sites.
AFFILIATION SALARY LEVEL FLSA
Paraprofessional PA 4 Non-Exempt
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree or 72 credit hours of post secondary education or passing state test to demonstrate
knowledge and ability to assist in instructing students; one year of experience in working with special needs
students; or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge,
skills, and ability required to perform the work and that meets state and federal requirements.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be evaluated by the Human Resources
department for comparability.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of behavioral disabilities in children.
Knowledge of effective instructional methods for students with behavioral disabilities.
Knowledge of assigned subject areas.
Basic knowledge of learning styles.
Excellent interpersonal skills required for dealing with students with disabilities.
Skills in obtaining, clarifying, and exchanging information.
Ability to tutor students at the assigned grade level.
Ability to defuse student anger and resolve conflict.
Ability to follow instructions.
Tacoma Public Schools
BEHAVIOR EDUCATION SERVICES
Ability to organize and coordinate activities.
Ability to appropriately physically restrain students as necessary.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people in a multicultural,
diverse socio-economic setting.
Required to obtain CPR and First Aid Certification.
Required to complete MANDT training.
May be required to complete cleansing intermittent catheterization (CIC) training.
CLASSIFICATION HISTORY: Retitled from Special Education Assistant, 04/86; retitled from Educational
Assistant, Learning/BD, 04/88; edited 08/92; edited and retitled from Educational Assistant, TLC, and
Educational Assistant, Diagnostic TLC, and Educational Assistant, Special Education 8/2000; revised 9/13/04.
Control # D24-37
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. District administration has the exclusive
right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general
details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically
required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work
requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to
cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.