Project Manager – Boston Medical Center
The Clinical Addiction Research and Education Unit at Boston Medical Center is
seeking a highly motivated individual to assist with a National Institutes of Health
funded clinical research study. The purpose of this 5-year study (The ASPIRE
Study) is to implement and assess the efficacy of Brief Intervention for drug users
in the primary care setting at Boston Medical Center.
The role of the Project Manager involves managing all aspects of a large
research study, including staff management, data management, protocol
implementation and adherence, and quality control. Project Manager must be
highly organized and detail-oriented, have exceptional communication and
writing skills, and be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
Experience in research, data analysis and manuscript preparation is helpful.
• Manage staff activities, schedules, vacations, and coverage;
• Supervise Research Associates, Project Coordinator, and Administrative
• Schedule and facilitate staff meetings.
Liaison with Human Resources
• Staff recruitment;
• Submit weekly timesheets;
• Arrange communications and training for new staff: phone, email, human
subjects certification, etc.;
• Initiate disciplinary action as needed;
• Prepare and deliver staff performance evaluations.
Project Management and Implementation
• Report directly to the Principal Investigator;
• Work with research and administrative staff, clinical team, data
management team, and consultants to facilitate and ensure protocol
adherence and achieve study goals;
• Liaison with project collaborators – MASBIRT, General Clinical Research
Center, Boston University School of Public Health’s Data Coordinating
• Lead training and supervision of research staff on study implementation;
• Plan agenda, facilitate, and lead weekly project meetings and ensure that
minutes are taken, edited and distributed;
• Ensure compliance with regulatory reporting of data to NIH and BUMC
IRB and lead process of applications to these and other regulatory
agencies (e.g. state of Massachusetts);
• Project fiscal management;
• Screen, enroll, interview, track and follow-up with study subjects;
• Oversee data collection procedures and reviews instruments to ensure
quality control; coordinates flow of study data and specimens;
• Orders test kits and project supplies;
Conform to hospital standards of performance and conduct, including
those pertaining to patient rights, so that the best possible customer
service and patient care may be provided.
Utilize hospital's values as the basis for decision-making and to facilitate
the division's hospital mission.
Follow established hospital infection control and safety procedures.
Perform other duties as assigned or as needed.
• Master’s degree (MPH or related degree);
• Minimum of three years experience in mental health/substance abuse field
or health care administration, including experience with the coordination of
multifaceted health services, research, and/or evaluation projects;
• Minimum of one year of personnel management experience is required;
• Exceptional communication and writing skills;
• Knowledge of MS Word, Power Point, and Excel is essential. Ability to use
database programs is desirable.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to Julie Witas, MSW, MPH at