Docstoc

Community Action Lytchett Matravers _CALM_ - DOC

Document Sample
Community Action Lytchett Matravers _CALM_ - DOC Powered By Docstoc
					Community Action for Lytchett Matravers (CALM)


Minutes of the steering committee meeting held at 7.30pm on Tuesday 8 July
2008 in the Blanchard Room, Village Hall, High Street, Lytchett Matravers

Present
Andrew Carmichael (Chairman)                           Fred Drane
Paula Taylor [Acting Secretary; Treasurer]             Gill Bobin
Andrew Goss                                            Annie Richardson (Press Officer)
Andrew McClure                                         Sandra Coleman
Pat Parker                                             Martin Addison
Angela Cook                                            Linda Carmichael
Colin Gibb                                             Sara Powell (Webmaster)
John Hyde                                              E Ann Patrick
Graham Lee

Apologies – No names offered; although Andrew Carmichael did mention at the end of the
meeting that he had received communication from many people that they would not be able to
attend this meeting.

The meeting opened at 19:42

Accepted minutes


1. Constitution

                                                                               No actions


2. Executive

                                                                               No actions


3. Finances

3.6           Paula Taylor gave the Treasurer’s Report advising the total      Paula Taylor
              monies in hand were £55.76, deductions for the Village Hall
              costs up to and including 29 July were included as paid; still
              holding some wristbands and T-shirts. An Income and
              Expenditure Account circulated the attendees.

              Friday 11 July 2008 Rosie Endecott called to advise that
              there would not be a further £25 income to come from the
              evening she had organised with Tony Bates. The Parish
              Council has paid for the Village Hall directly.

              Village Hall invoice for June awaited from Andrew                Andrew Carmichael
              Carmichael so it can be paid.                                    to pass on invoice.
3.7           With a view to raising further funds:



                                                   1
                   Linda Carmichael has been trying to liaise with a        No action
                   contact at Tesco Express in the village, with a view
                   to locating money boxes in their store. Consideration
                   was given to the alternative type of money boxes,
                   perhaps tin cans covered in green paper with the
                   CALM logo in it.

                   Andrew Carmichael to contact Lytchett Matravers          Andrew Carmichael
                   Parish Council for further funding.                      to contact LM Parish
                                                                            Council

                   Gill Bobin suggested trying to sell the wristbands       No action
                   within the local pubs

             Depending on Hazel Blears reply on the 22nd July 2008,         Carried forward to
             would depend whether CALM considers further funding            after 22 JULY 2008
             raising possibilities


4. Communication

4.1       Publicity and Press
4.1.6     Annie Richardson updated on her progress:                         Ongoing Annie
          Waiting to get articles in local press. BIC Protest had been in   Richardson
          Daily Echo, all morning on Radio Solent, several times on
          2CR, Wessex AM and Vale FM. John Youth from Dorset Life
          – wanted to do a leader article in August edition, but this may
          be delayed until the September issue, which would be a
          larger article.
4.1.7     Extracts and pictures for publication on the website may          Annie Richardson to
          need to be cleared to ensure that the copyright is not            liaise with Sara
          breached                                                          Powell. Ongoing
4.7.8     Consideration and discussion was given to other ways of
          obtaining further publicity:

                   Andrew Carmichael wanted more National or TV
                   coverage. But as not heard from RSS, Annie said
                   there was currently ‘no story’ nor was our situation
                   different to anyone else’s, until we have heard Hazel
                   Blear’s announcement there was nothing more we
                   could do.

                   Dorset Life’s John Youth aired some possibilities for
                   getting attention to Annie Richardson.

                   Andrew Carmichael mentioned a March down the
                   A350 to draw attention. Get other local areas aware
                   of the situation, such as Bere Regis, Organford. Fred
                   Drane advised that he was in favour of
                   demonstrations and elaborated upon one to show the
                   benefit of this type of behaviour.

                   Andrew aired the possibility of organising a National
                   Demonstration contact other national pressure groups
                   or campaign groups to join in.


                                                2
       Have we considered lobbying Jim Knight (education
       minister), who lives locally.

       It was offered to the floor, to approach Roger         Andrew Carmichael
       Emmerson to create a Dorset Militia (with Defense      to approach Roger
       Consortium).                                           Emmerson to create
                                                              a Dorset Militia
Other deliberations:
                                                              John Hyde to
       South Western RSS only to be commented by Hazel        contact Farmer’s
       Blears on the 22 July 2008. John Hyde offered to ask   within the area of
       contact Farmer’s within the area of search to do a     search to do a
       French tractor drive.                                  French Tractor drive

       John Hyde overhead that the Head of Planning at        Fred Drane to
       Purbeck DC is in favour of the Bloor Homes proposed    contact Purbeck
       development. What sort of liaison is Purbeck DC        DC’s Mark Sturgess
       having?                                                to find out who they
                                                              are liaising with

       Fred Drane to see Mark Strugess about inviting him     Fred Drane to ask
       or someone appointed by him to attend our next         Mark Sturgess
       meeting. Proposed that we should make a list of
       items we wished to discuss – there were decided to
       be – legal challenge, flooding and drainage,
       environmental.

       There are currently 13 Green belts in England, Paula
       Taylor mentioned the document compiled by the
       CPRE dated July 2007
       http://www.cpre.org.uk/filegrab/major-development-
       threats-to-green-belts.pdf?ef+1805 the areas
       mentioned were: Avon; Cheltenham & Gloucester
       London; Nottingham and Derby; Oxford;
       Bournemouth and Poole; Teeside; West Midlands;
       and York.

       Pedestrian Crossing action.

       Andrew Carmichael contacted Jonathan Ross (who         Annie Richardson to
       has a place in Swanage), his producer Andy Davies      try to locate contact
       used to live in Lytchett Minster (and attended the     details of Jonathan
       Manor school). AC sent an email on BBC website.        Ross
                                                              Andrew Carmichael
       Can Annie get sensible contact details for Jonathan    to send an email to
       Ross or Andy Davies (producer and co-presenter) for    all on our mailing
       his Saturday morning Radio 2. Or find out his          list
       address of his Farm House in Swanage.

       Could ask our mailing list to contact them?
                                                              All – ongoing
       Should be approach Richard Drax?

       Would like to get some celebrity backing and need to   Andrew Carmichael


                                     3
                 look at this as a possibility. Andrew Carmichael to        to contact everyone
                 email everyone on our mailing list asking if they know     on our mailing list to
                 any local celebrities that we could contact?               see if they know of
                                                                            local celebrities
4.2       Website
4.2.4     Association members to submit relevant material to Sara           Ongoing all
          Powell. Sara Powell advised see still has lots of information
          still to put up on the website including:

                 Annika provided some photos which are not yet up on
                 the website.

                 Next was to put up BIC protest photos.

                  Sara Powell thanked Richard Endecott for providing
                  the photos which are shown on the Gallery area of
                  the website.
4.2.5     Website needs to enlist others to help maybe also through         Ongoing - PENDING
          our email database so we are not always relying on the same       VOLUNTEERS
          members to do all the publishing
4.2.6     Publish Instruction on Regional Spatial Strategy                  Andrew Carmichael
          Questionnaire
4.2.7     Details of Butterfly and Moth walk to be put on website (see      Complete
          6.2.5)
4.2.8     Stats on website:                                                 Ongoing Sara
                                                                            Powell
                 Most hits in 1 day is 28.

                  Sara showed the graph of hits on our website
                  Carnival and Vince Cable meetings show raised web-
                  traffic immediately after these events.
4.2.9     Sara Powell explained the how useful it may be to set up a        Sara Powell to
          Google Group to track messages of the group and threads of        action
          discussions
4.2.10    Sara suggested that we could add a ‘click here’ to subscribe      Sara Powell to
          to our Newsletter - which would allow us to do mailshots to       action
          everyone in our distribution list
4.3       Letter Writing
4.3.1,2   Andrew received responses from Prince Charles who                 Carried forward –
          declined to visit Lytchett Matravers. Also received from          Andrew Carmichael
          Hazel Blears – both letters to go onto our website                to forward to Sara
                                                                            Powell
4.3.3     To Do:                                                            Andrew Carmichael,
          Lord Rogers, Tamsin Omund, CPRE and more. Doubts                  Jim Cunningham,
          expressed about writing to T O.                                   David Howe, John
                                                                            Hyde - Ongoing
          Paula Taylor withdrew from this sub-committee due to her
          other commitment to the production of the LM Parish Plan.
4.3.4     Christopher Lees letter posted by Andrew Carmichael – no          Awaiting reply
          reply received.
4.3.5     General letter – for all to utilise – John Hyde asked if anyone   John Hyde - Held
          wished to see his general letter.                                 pending Hazel
                                                                            Blear’s
                                                                            announcement
4.4       Links & Volunteers


                                               4
4.4.1   Discussed whether CALM should link up with Corfe Mullen,         No action
        Morden and Lytchett Minster groups. It was decided that
        these groups are welcome to attend our meetings and it was
        confirmed that we are currently in communication with them.
        It was agreed they was no need to amalgamate. It was
        commented that we are the only action group with a website.
        It was offered to the floor that we all had representatives of
        each group attending each other’s groups meetings.

               Andrew Carmichael said he had been approached by          No action
               someone of the Morden action group as to whether
               we wanted to merge with them. The man was now on
               our mailing list.

               Lytchett Minster action group – Andrew Carmichael         No action
               advised they are on our mailing list. Andrew is in
               regular touch with Mike Tomlinson, Andrew is happy
               for them to be separate as they have different issues.

               Fred Drane said the Lytchett Minster action group         Andrew Carmichael
               were meeting on the 17th July, 7 pm, Lytchett Minster     to diarise and attend
               Church Hall (annex) – it was concluded that Andrew        17 July meeting
               would join Fred at this meeting.

               Place a notice in the Morden Village Notice Board         Initially Fred Drane
               advising of the time and place of CALM’s meetings         to seek approval
               and inviting them to attend, having initially             from Morden Parish
               approached and had approval from the Morden               Council to place a
               Parish Council. Also, did they receive the Issues and     notice in their
               Options Questionnaire?                                    Village Notice Board

               Paula Taylor suggested that the letter writing group      No action
               invite these local action groups (Morden, Corfe Mullen
               and Lytchett Minster).

               Andrew Carmichael is attending S.E. Dorset Defence        Andrew Carmichael
               Consortium – made up of Councillors and Officers          to provide feedback
               from the following Councils: County, Poole,               from the SE Dorset
               Bournemouth, Christchurch, East Dorset and                Defence Consortium
               Purbeck. Also the CPRE, Action Groups from:               meeting on the 22
               Lytchett Matravers, Lytchett Minster, West Parley,        July
               Corfe Mullen and Upton. Also Annette Brooks MP
               and Bournemouth Vision 21 (in attendance will be a
               Daily Echo representative). This supplies a platform
               for us to meet up. The next scheduled meeting 27th
               July 2008 (these meetings are not regularly
               scheduled).

               Paula Taylor read out the email reply from Purbeck        No action
               DC regarding the deliveries of the Issues and Options
               Questionnaire.

               Rosie Endecott suggested placing reminding posts in       No action, although
               the village reminding villagers to complete the Issues    Paula Taylor has
               and Options Questionnaire. It was noted that copies       drafted a poster for


                                            5
                   of the Questionnaire are held by the Libraries at        this purpose for
                   Upton and Lytchett Matravers.                            consideration at the
                                                                            next meeting

                   Sara Powell to contact CPRE (Terry Stewart) – other      Sara Powell to
                   find out about other campaign groups, green belt and     action
                   issues beg any resources, and to ask that when
                   CALM’s membership has been accepted could they
                   provide a website link to CALM.

            Martin Addison to speak to Ron Horlock                          Martin Addison to
                                                                            contact Ron Horlock
4.4.2       2 additional names and details for Steven Martin and Dianne
            Woodford for the distribution list. Gill Bobin completed
            Dianne Woodford.                                                Since the meeting
                                                                            Paula Taylor has
                   Paula Taylor to forward Steve Martin’s address to Gill   forwarded to Gill
                   Bobin for insertion.                                     Bobin

                   Andrew Carmichael to forward Sara Powell the             Andrew Carmichael
                   distribution list.                                       to forward
                                                                            distribution list to
                                                                            Sara Powell


5. Events and publicity

5.3         Summer Fair (Lytchett school Friday 4/July). Linda              Paula Taylor issued
            Carmichael and Sandra Coleman provided feedback on this         Linda Carmichael
            event which helped to raise awareness, sold wristbands for      with a cheque for
            about £16, rain halted play. The cost of the stall was £10      £10 after the meeting
            which needed to be paid to Lytchett Matravers Primary           for her to
            School PTA                                                      appropriately pass
                                                                            on
5.3         Focus group needs to set out plan of action, speakers,          AC, SC, JM, JC,
            venue, leaflet material, media campaign etc. Some               LC,AR ongoing from
            suggestions made such as rail charter to London, hand           8/7
            holding.
5.3.1       Andrew McClure advised that the CALM leaflets for Lytchett      Complete
            Matravers residents had been distributed by the deliverers of
            the local Conservative group when delivery their own
            publication.
5.3.2       Andrew McClure advised that the local Conservative group        Linda Carmichael to
            still had to do their own leaflet drop in Morden and did CALM   produce A4
            wishthem to deliver a CALM leaflet to the Morden residents      information sheet,
            in the same way as they had the Lytchett Matravers              which would be
            residents. Linda Carmichael offered to produce an A4            delivered by the
            information sheet, informing Morden residents of CALM and       local Conservative
            what we are doing and leaving an open invitation to come        group when
            along to our regular meetings.                                  delivering their own
                                                                            leaflet
5.4 (was    Public Meeting when RSS is handed down by Secretary of
5.3)        State on 22nd July

                   A focus group has been set up to prepare an Action       Andrew to invite


                                                6
                   Plan for the Public Meeting ready to put this into       sub-group members
                   place if needed. Having conferred with diaries           to a meeting at his
                   Andrew Carmichael would send an invitation to the        house
                   sub-group members – Himself, Sandra Coleman,
                   Jayne Morris, Jim Cunningham, Linda Carmichael
                   and Annie Richardson.

                   More volunteers were needed for this – Colin Gibb        Andrew Carmichael
                   agreed to be involved                                    to include Colin Gibb
                                                                            to meeting + other
                                                                            volunteers needed

                   It was agreed that the Public Meeting should be held
                   on a Saturday ideally a few days after 22nd July

                   It was decided that it should be a village venue,        Sara Powell to action
                   perhaps the Village Hall, the Primary School or
                   Library. Sara Powell will consult with Linda Perry
                   about any potential slots from the 22nd July and the
                   two weeks following

                   Speakers (explored in 6.1.3)– 1. Purbeck DC - it was
                   suggested that we could approach Mark Sturgess to
                   ask if he or one of Team’s representatives could
                   speak at our Public Meeting to give us a flavour of
                   what they have been working on towards their case
                   against this development such as ecology, flooding.      Andrew Carmichael to
                   2. Pat Parker offered for her son to talk about the      contact him, via
                   water due to him working in this field – his name is     Department of
                   Guy Parker.                                              Environment –
                                                                            transferred from 5.4


6. Focus groups

6.1        Legal                                                            Andrew Goss and
                                                                            Andrew McClure
6.1.1      Investigation into legality of overturning Green belt.           AG, AM ongoing

           Investigation into legality of the 12 week process and the       AG – Action
           possibility of a legal challenge. AG had been in touch with a
           solicitor in the London firm of Hayden Lewis Mays. This firm
           does deal with this type of work, but we required finance as
           this was likely to cost approximately a 6 figure sum. They
           believed there were avenues for attack – AG waiting here
           from the solicitor once he had consulted with a partner in the
           firm. It was agreed that if there was a case we would need
           to direct some effort towards funding

                   It was noted that there had been no consultation for
                   the 32 Echo towns, a judicial application had been
                   issued, it was touch and go whether this will be heard
                   prior to the summer break.

                   Andrew Carmichael mentioned Simon Ricketts.


                                                 7
                     It was mentioned that Purbeck DC are reluctant to go
                     down the litigation avenue. Fred Drane commented
                     that jointly Purbeck DC and Dorset County Council
                     are creating a case. Purbeck have got their
                     consultants looking into the Environment issues and
                     Dorset County Council are reviewing the Highways.

                     It was commented that Chris Lees believes he has         AG to contact
                     got the impression that Mark Sturgess (Purbeck DC)       Purbeck DC legal
                     approval to the Bloor Homes proposal.                    team

                     Graham Lee commented that an initial step would be       Graham Lee to
                     to approach Dorset Community, who, when dealing          provide solicitor’s
                     with the Saving the Library, had put him in touch with   contact details at
                     a legal group from London who do some semi-              next meeting
                     voluntary work. He believed their name was Law
                     Works. To bring details next week to be passed onto
                     our legal team.

              Andrew Goss has found Michael Tomlinson (the Chairman           AG – Action
              of the Lytchett Minster Action Group) to be elusive, but will
              continue his efforts to either speak with him or meet up.

              Contact to be made to Warwickshire Action Group and find        AG, AM ongoing
              out the basis for their legal challenge.
6.1.2 (was    Research registration of Christopher Lees land.
also 6.1.3)
                     Linda Carmichael has received from the HM Land           Paula Taylor to
                     Registry an Index Map search and title deeds to          refund Linda
                     Race Farm, Huntick and map of area around Race           Carmichael £3
                     Farm. The cost of this HM Land Registry from £6
                     title deeds and £3 for map. It was agreed this was
                     worth spending the money on.

                     Sara Powell asked if it was possible to put the Bloor
                     Homes map over the ones Linda had received?

                     Martin Addison commented that there are restrictive
                     covenants

                     Other Land owned by Christopher Lees believed to         Linda Carmichael to
                     be Post Green Trust, Pike Farm, Bere Farm and            obtain further maps
                     Newtown Farm.                                            and title deeds

                      Molly Tatchel from Charity Farm and Peter Burbidge      To be actioned
                      may be able to provide more details of land
                      ownership.
6.1.3         Andrew McClure had review the Michael Pitt flooding report      AM ongoing
              document and reported back to the meeting his main
              findings.

                     planning building useful to draw from this, should be
                     say that Hazel Blears has not referred to this
                     document.


                                                   8
               What to do if flooding occurs etc – irrelevant to
               CALM.

               Planning side – for example 10% of properties in
               England are on flood plan. Seems that they have to
               build on flood plains, avoiding the worst affected.

               Sequential test basis development has to be aimed
               at the areas of least flooding.

               RSS need to take into account flooding in area.

               The document has been taken serious enough to
               make the Government withdraw the right to place
               hand standing without applying for planning
               permission, for example driveways.


        It was also commented that:

        2 meters above sea level around the Baker’s Arms, Lytchett
        Minister.

        We would need to know a bit more about flood areas.

        What about run off of water from say Race Farm to Lytchett
        Minster.

        Fred Drane – Peters Close in Upton, floods regularly,           Fred Drane to contact
        advised that there are different categories of flooding. May    Purbeck DC to ask for
        be worth while finding out what these categories are, can       details of flooding
        Purbeck DC.                                                     categories

        Paul Johns (local Conservative Councillor lives at the Old
        Button Shop cottage, Lytchett Minster.

        Pat Parker offered for her son to talk about the water due to   Andrew Carmichael to
        him working in this field – his name is Guy Parker.             contact him, via
                                                                        Department of
                                                                        Environment – Also
                                                                        transferred to 5.4

        Purbeck DC – it was suggested that we could approach            Transferred to 5.4
        Mark Sturgess to ask if he or one of Team’s representatives
        could speak at our Public Meeting to give us a flavour of
        what they have been working on towards their case against
        this development such as ecology, flooding.

        Brendan Monk – Ex-water board employee has commented
        that the sewage system is a capacity at the moment – he
        lives at The Thatch Cottage in Lime Kiln Road.
6.2     Natural Resources and Amenities
6.2.4   Andrew Carmichael to contact Dave Bowsher re: Fungi, not        Andrew Carmichael -
        imperative at the moment as more fungi likely to be available   - Ongoing


                                             9
        in Autumn
6.2.5   Rosie Endecott – Discussed the Butterfly and Moth walks,         RE - Ongoing
        suggested to leave a car at the end of Old Coach Road,
        near Race Farm, to aid making the walk shorter. 4 village
        walks- Saturday 19 July starting at the Primary School. (8
        am – 4 pm). Organiser Nigel Spring of Dorset Butterflies,
        details on the website and details sent home with Primary
        School children.
6.2.6   Are there other endangered species in the area subject to        Colin Gibb –
        possible development, eg smooth snake?                           Ongoing

        Colin Gibb has been in touch with Dorset Environmental R.        Colin Gibb to
        Services, he went to their offices in Dorchester but was         provide details to
        unable to gain entry – they advised that they would release      Paula Taylor upon
        information upon written request wrote to Director in charge,    receipt of her email
        need grid references. Rosie Endecott wished to have              which she would
        information about the Smooth Snake and the Otters, so she        forward to Rosie
        offered to compile a letter to them.                             Endecott so she
                                                                         could compile letter,
                                                                         which Paula Taylor
                                                                         will put on CALM’s
                                                                         headed paper

        With regards to the Smooth Snake, Colin Gibb advised that        Colin Gibb to contact
        Dr John Wilkinson is the research and monitoring officer in      Dr Wilkinson
        Boscombe.

        It was commented that other protected species are Slow
        worms and adders, lizards and newts

        Rosei Endecott showed sittings of otters and badgers Dorset      As above
        Wildlife Trust, Sherford River and its attributories. Read out
        (otters and water voles – both protected species).
        Environmental Records Office
6.2.7   Last week it was agreed that we should join the CPRE?            Awaiting reply from
                                                                         CPRE. When
        Cheque for £31 for organisation membership posted with           received Andrew
        application form by Andrew Carmichael. Response awaited.         Carmichael to
                                                                         advise.
6.3     Managed resources and amenities (land use)
6.3.1   Land Use Survey                                                  ALL

        Awaiting volunteers

        Andrew Carmichael has got links to DFRE and other web
        links.
6.4     Local History
6.4.1   Ann Patrick to contact Shirley Percival and Peter Burbidge
        regarding the history of the area proposed for development.

        Ann will endeavour to see them this coming week.                 Ann Patrick to
                                                                         contact Shirley
                                                                         Percival and Peter
                                                                         Burbidge



                                            10
Any Other Business

Paula Taylor – to put a notice in main village notice board – about buying a wristbands for £1and
T-Shirts for £5 and mentioning our web address – Estate Agents have a key


Meeting Closed




                                                11
         Have you completed your Issues and Options Questionnaire?
  Which should have been delivered to your home from Purbeck District Council

Perhaps:

       you have not received one?
       you cannot find it?
       you are having trouble answering the questions?
       another member of your household wishes to complete a
       Questionnaire?

Community Action for Lytchett Matravers (CALM) members are happy to
offer you their services. There is no charge for this, at a pre-arranged time
a member can visit you in your home or meet you at the Library, provide
you with additional copies of the Questionnaire.

       CALM’s contact details are:
            Andrew Carmichael (Chairman) telephone number (01202) 624170
            Email address: info@lytchett-matravers.net
            Web address www.lytchett-matravers.net, why not join our mailing list!
            CALM meet every Tuesday at 7:30 pm in the Blanchard Room of the Village Hall, Lytchett
            Matravers – you are more than welcome to attend

        Remember to post your completed Questionnaire in the FREEPOST envelope provided.


         Have you completed your Issues and Options Questionnaire?
  Which should have been delivered to your home from Purbeck District Council

Perhaps:

       you have not received one?
       you cannot find it?
       you are having trouble answering the questions?
       another member of your household wishes to complete a
       Questionnaire?

Community Action for Lytchett Matravers (CALM) members are happy to
offer you their services. There is no charge for this, at a pre-arranged time
a member can visit you in your home or meet you at the Library, provide
you with additional copies of the Questionnaire.

       CALM’s contact details are:
            Andrew Carmichael (Chairman) telephone number (01202) 624170
            Email address: info@lytchett-matravers.net
            Web address www.lytchett-matravers.net, why not join our mailing list!
            CALM meet every Tuesday at 7:30 pm in the Blanchard Room of the Village Hall, Lytchett
            Matravers – you are more than welcome to attend

        Remember to post your completed Questionnaire in the FREEPOST envelope provided.


                                                    12

				
DOCUMENT INFO