UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad by lizhangdi

VIEWS: 221 PAGES: 84

									                     UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad, 2010-11
CHAPTER                                                                                                                                       REVIEWED             

Introduction...                                                                                                                                          

EAP Policies and Contracts...                                                                                                                            

Academic Information...                                                                                                                                  
Safety: Our Partnership...                                                                                                                               
Student Life...                                                                                                                                          
Money Matters...                                                                                                                                         
Insurance...                                                                                                                                             
Health...                                                                                                                                                
Students with Disabilities...                                                                                                                            
Students with Dependents...                                                                                                                              
Extension of Participation...                                                                                                                            
Withdrawal from EAP...                                                                                                                                   

The information in this guide is accurate at the time of publishing (winter 2010). Information may be subject to change. The University of California, in accordance
with applicable Federal and State law and University Policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, medical
condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University
also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding
the University’s student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the campus Affirmative Action Office.
 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                             Introduction

     Welcome to the University of California’s Education Abroad Program!
     This UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad will acquaint you with the resources that UC has in place to
     support you before and during your time abroad, the policies that EAP has developed to ensure
     that programs run smoothly and you remain as safe as possible, and the procedures that you
     will follow to prepare for and take the best advantage of all the opportunities that your EAP
     experience will offer.
     The readily accessible format of the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad is designed so that you may
     easily read through the most basic and vital information that all EAP students need to know.
     To use this guide, select the chapter from the contents page or the navigation bar on the left.
     Each sentence on the chapter page may be expanded to reveal additional information either
     during your first reading, or when you later need to refer back to the guide for more detailed
     Once you have read through this guide, you will be ready to access your Program Guide, which
     contains information specific to the program for which you have been selected. The UCEAP
     Guide to Study Abroad, Program Guide, and all the further instructions and support materials
     (such as your program calendar and EAP Student Budget) are conveniently located in the
     Participants portal of the UCEAP website for your reference at any time.
     You are about to set off on one of the most rewarding journeys of your life. Have a wonderful
     adventure with EAP!

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011               EAP Policies and Contracts

     Policies and Contracts
     This section contains policies that are important to you as a University of California Education
     Abroad Program student. You must be aware of UCEAP’s academic policies and procedures and
     the necessity to abide by them, even when EAP requirements exceed those of your UC campus.
     While the selection of policies is not intended to be all-inclusive, this section describes many of
     your rights and responsibilities as an EAP student.
     The following policies implement various provisions of the University of California Policies
     Applying to Campus Activities, Organizations, and Students issued by the President of the
     University effective October 2008.

     Official EAP Policies
         • Academic Conduct Policy
         • Insurance Policy
         • Sexual Harassment Policy
         • Student Conduct and Discipline Policy
         • Student Privacy Policy
         • Student Travel Policy
         • Substance Abuse Policy

         As an EAP student, you remain enrolled in the University of California, which entails certain
         conditions and responsibilities that are set out in the EAP Student Agreement, which is your
         informed consent and contract with EAP and UC. You must read the Student Agreement
         thoroughly and become familiar with the legal aspects of EAP participation before signing
         the contract.

 Back                 UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                        Chapter name
                                                                              Academic Information

Academic Information
Campus Policies and        Before and after EAP, most academic questions are specific to your
Procedures                 campus...
                           Academic Planning Form...

Course Information         Course search engines...
                           General education and major requirements...
                           Repeated course work...
                           Host institution course work...

EAP Summer Programs        Summer programs have different requirements than other programs...

Language Study             Intensive Language Program...
                           Studying languages while abroad...
                           Studying in English in a foreign-language country...

Unit Requirements          Minimum unit load...
                           Taking less than the minimum load...
                           Reduction of units to avoid campus unit ceilings...
                           Variable unit option...
                           Units for UC semester students...

Registration Process       MyEAP Study List and course registration...
                           Failure to register...

Attendance                 Vacation travel and absences...
                           Taking and retaking final exams in the U.S. is not permitted...

Independent Studies,       Process for undergoing Special Study Projects...
Internships, and           Internships for academic credit...
Research Projects          Extracurricular internships and community service...

Petitions                  Changing your MyEAP Study List...
                           Unauthorized program changes...

Grades                     Official UC grades and transcripts...
                           Grades from EAP take time...
                           Outstanding debts and grades...
                           Incomplete (I) grades...
                           No report (NR) grades...
                           P/NP and letter grade option...
 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Academic Information

     Campus Policies and Procedures
     Before and after EAP, most academic questions are specific to your campus
     Absence from UC Before or After EAP Participation
     On most UC campuses, if you are not enrolled during the academic term immediately preceding
     departure for EAP (summer sessions excepted) you are not automatically considered a
     continuing student and must therefore apply for readmission to UC before departure. If you are
     “sitting out” a term before departure, contact the Campus EAP Office and Registrar’s Office to
     determine your campus policy.
     If you will not be returning directly to your UC campus upon completion of EAP, find out about
     your UC campus leave of absence policy. Some UC campuses do not have a leave of absence
     status for undergraduates. Consult your UC campus academic advisor or Registrar’s Office. If
     you are contemplating “sitting out” a term or two, communicate with your Campus EAP Office
     concerning your tentative plans and intended reenrollment.
     If you are a graduate student, it is especially crucial that you follow leave of absence procedures;
     otherwise, you could lose graduate student status and candidacy.
     Academic Probation
     If you are placed on academic probation after selection, you must file a written petition to be
     considered for EAP participation. The petition is evaluated by the Campus EAP Office. Continued
     participation in EAP is then contingent upon the approval of the Campus Faculty Director.
     UC Registration for Term Following Eap
     Policies and deadlines for enrollment vary by campus. During predeparture orientation, the
     Campus EAP Office discusses return registration procedures. Once abroad, the Campus EAP
     Office may send you information or post enrollment information on the campus EAP website.
     The Schedule of Classes for all UC campuses can be accessed online. Contact your campus with
     questions regarding UC registration following EAP participation.
     Senior Residency Rules
     UC students are required to be in residence at their UC campus during all or part of their senior
     year; however, there are exceptions available to EAP students. Seniors on EAP must consult
     with the Campus EAP Office and the appropriate academic authorities on campus about senior
     residency rules, especially if planning to finish graduation requirements during the term abroad.
     (UC Academic Senate Regulation 630.)
     Intercampus Transfers
     For an intercampus transfer, you must consult the Admissions Office of the UC campus to which
     you are transferring. If a transfer takes place while you are abroad, course work completed prior
     to the transfer remains with the original UC campus; subsequent work will be recorded at the
     campus to which you have transferred.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                   Academic Information

     If you are nearing graduation, inquire at your UC campus about graduation procedures for EAP
     students. Do not file for degree candidacy for your final EAP term. Terms at EAP host institutions
     frequently end after UC campus terms, and grades will not arrive on time to accommodate most
     degree verification deadlines.
     After you return from EAP, contact your Campus EAP Office and Registrar’s Office to inquire
     about the completion of graduation checks and the recording of grades.
     Graduate School Planning
     If you plan to apply to graduate school while abroad, collect information on graduate school
     requirements before leaving the U.S. Once abroad, allow extra time for communication with the
     U.S. and for EAP grades to be reported, which may affect your graduate school application or
     enrollment. If you are planning to attend a professional school upon return from EAP, consult
     with the appropriate advisors prior to departure regarding exams and entrance requirements.
     To take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) while abroad, refer to information on the GRE website.

     Academic Planning Form
     The Academic Planning form, which is part of the EAP application, requires you to describe the
     major and general education requirements you must complete abroad along with the course
     work you intend to take to fulfill those requirements. You must complete it with your academic
     advisor before departure. See Course Information in this guide for resources that will help you
     complete this form. Such planning ensures that you will receive the maximum academic credit
     for the work you complete abroad.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Academic Information

     Course Information
     Course search engines
     For each program, EAP provides a list of subject areas in the EAP Program Search in which
     course work is available, appropriate for most UC students. Subject areas can be searched using
     the MyEAP Course Catalog to find specific course information.
     Depending on your program, you will enroll in regular host institution courses, courses
     specifically designed for EAP or international students, independent study, or a combination of
     these types of courses.
     The MyEAP Course Catalog includes descriptions of courses that EAP students have taken during
     the last few years at various host institutions. For most EAP host institutions, the courses that
     appear in the MyEAP Course Catalog constitute only a fraction of the courses available. The
     MyEAP Course Catalog is useful as a representative selection of the courses in which you may
     enroll during the academic year.
     Additional course information may be found through host institution websites.
     It is not guaranteed that a course listed in the MyEAP Course Catalog or in host institution
     websites will be offered while you are abroad, as courses offered by a host institution vary
     each year. It is advisable that you indicate your requirements on the Academic Planning form by
     subject matter rather than by specific courses, or at least note alternate possibilities. It is most
     useful to list major requirements by the subject, scope, time period, or location(s) to be studied.
     For example, a biology student may list vertebrates or invertebrates, genetics, etc. This method
     allows you the maximum ability to meet requirements and helps the Study Center advisors
     abroad suggest appropriate host institution courses. If you are flexible, you will have better
     After you are abroad, the Study Center can explain how to obtain more specific information
     about the actual courses available during a given term. If you select a course that has not been
     offered in the past and has not yet been taken by UC students, it will be submitted for UC
     cataloging when you enroll in the course.

     General education and major requirements
     You will earn regular UC units (not transfer credit) for all approved EAP courses completed
     abroad. Your major department determines how much credit will be awarded toward fulfillment
     of major requirements and which courses will satisfy specific requirements, and your college
     approves credit for general education courses. Keep track of which general education and major
     requirements you must complete. If you have questions about how your EAP course work will
     apply to UC campus requirements, communicate with your departmental and college advisors.
     Before departure, obtain your advisors’ contact information so you can communicate with them
     while abroad.
     EAP Study Center staff cannot provide authoritative advice about major requirements or the
     applicability of host institution courses to your major program.
     In most cases, final decisions about whether EAP courses fulfill major or general education
     requirements will not be possible until after you return from EAP. To assist campus academic
     advisors in evaluating EAP courses for fulfillment of those requirements, gather course
     information such as syllabi, bibliographies, papers, and returned exams for use upon return to
     your UC campus. Keep materials for all courses you take so you have adequate proof of the work
     you completed at the host institution if there is an error or a question about a course.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Academic Information

     Repeated course work
     You cannot receive credit for a course taken on EAP that duplicates previous course work.
     Because a course taken abroad may have the same or a similar title, but different content than
     a course offered at UC, be sure to keep complete records of your EAP work so that the course
     content can be verified if credit for the course is questioned at the UC campus.

     Host institution course work
     UC credit awarded through EAP is based on formal Regental approval of an agreement between
     UC and the institution at which the course work is being done. You may not enroll for credit at
     an institution with which UC does not have an approved agreement. Occasionally exceptions
     are allowed when an institution with which EAP currently has an agreement routinely permits
     enrollment at another institution as part of its own institutional processes. Any additional costs,
     including fees assessed for the cost of labs, field trips, etc., would be your responsibility. In
     most cases, students do not receive UC credit for courses that require them to pay tuition or
     enrollment fees in addition to the fees paid to the University of California.
     Exceptions to permit enrollment at institutions other than the EAP-recognized host institution
     are generally noted in the academic section of your EAP Program Guide; however, be sure to
     verify the approval of any such enrollment with the EAP Study Center and the Universitywide
     Office of EAP prior to completing registration.
     Occasionally, students wish to pursue course work at other institutions for their own personal
     growth and educational benefit, with the understanding that UC credit will not be granted for this
     work. In such a case, you would be responsible for all fees associated with these opportunities
     and for providing any documentation of the work that you may wish to furnish to your UC campus
     department (e.g., a transcript of work done at a music academy or conservatory). You must meet
     EAP academic requirements for a full-time course and unit load regardless of any additional course
     work you take outside the program.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                  Academic Information

     EAP Summer Programs
     Summer programs have different policies and requirements than
     other programs
     EAP summer programs have certain policies that differ from those of EAP’s ILP, quarter,
     semester, and year programs. You may take non-language courses on a pass/no pass grade
     option following the standard limit of no more than one-third of the total units for the term.
     Graduate students may take both language and other courses on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory
     grade option, according to their Graduate or Professional Student Agreement and Academic
     Planning Form (GSAG).
     The variable unit option is not available for summer programs, so you will take the maximum
     number of units for which the courses are approved. You may not reduce the number of units for
     any course. All summer programs require that courses be taken for the maximum approved units.
     In a case where you extend your participation from a summer program to a fall or year program
     and the summer program is also considered an intensive language program (ILP), you may
     submit a General Petition to reduce your units at the time your extension is approved.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                  Academic Information

     Language Study
     Intensive Language Program
     Some EAP programs require participation in an intensive language program (ILP) prior to
     the start of host institution course work. The purpose of the ILP is to help students acquire
     language proficiency to meet the demands of the academic program and adapt to the culture
     of the country. Unless you have fluency in university-level academic reading, writing, and
     comprehension, and have been granted an exemption well before departure, you are required
     to complete the ILP.
     Most ILP courses are graded with letter grades only. The pass/no pass option is generally not
     permitted. You receive units for courses taken during the ILP, but ILP units do not count toward
     the required minimum unit load for subsequent terms. You may choose to take ILP courses for
     less than the maximum approved units, but not for fewer than a total of three UC quarter units.
     You must request this reduction of units at the time of registration. Although you may choose
     to receive fewer than the maximum approved units for a course, there is no reduction in the
     quantity or quality of work expected, or in the number of courses required.

     Studying languages while abroad
     In most programs with foreign language instruction, a major academic goal is to immerse
     participants in the language and culture of the host country; however, EAP students are
     permitted to study foreign languages that are not official languages of the host country.

     Studying in English in a foreign-language country
     Non-English language programs may restrict the number of courses taught in English. In
     immersion programs, where EAP students attend classes with host institution students, students
     generally are expected to do all course work in the language of the host country. If there are
     sound academic reasons for enrolling in a course that is taught in English, the Study Center may
     grant an exception, but you may be limited to one course taught in English per term. English
     literature majors should review their academic planning form with their advisor before departure
     and consider the available courses that are taught in the language of the host country.
     Information about course options in countries where the host language is not English and where
     students take courses other than host institution courses may be found in the academics chapter
     of your EAP Program Guide.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Academic Information

     Unit Requirements
     Minimum unit load
     Both EAP and your UC campus require that you study full-time as an EAP student; you are
     expected to make normal progress toward UC graduation while on EAP. UC campus regulations
     vary with respect to normal progress. To achieve a normal full-time load, you are required to
     carry a minimum number of units. In programs without an ILP and in most short-term language
     programs, the required minimum unit loads range from 21 to 24 UC quarter units per semester
     or 14 to 16 units per quarter. In programs with an ILP the minimum load is 18 UC quarter units
     per semester or 12 units per quarter. ILP units do not count toward the minimum load of any
     subsequent term. Certain programs are exceptions to these rules and have specific required
     The unit requirements for your program are provided in your EAP Program Guide, which is
     accessed from your Participants program page. You must review this online guide before
     You will have no difficulty satisfying campus and EAP rules governing course work, units,
     and normal progress as long as you follow EAP policies and the requirements related to your
     If you are on financial aid, you are required to take a minimum load of 18 UC quarter units each
     semester or 12 UC quarter units each quarter. For purposes of financial aid, ILP units may be
     applied to the summer term or to the fall term, depending on the policy of your UC campus.
     Consult your Campus EAP Office or Registrar’s Office to learn whether the ILP units are applied
     toward the minimum load of any subsequent regular term.
     Graduate Students
     The minimum load required for full-time status as a graduate student depends on your UC
     campus requirements, which may range from 12 to 36 UC quarter units per year (4 to 12 UC
     quarter units per quarter). Your graduate advisor must approve your proposed course of study.
     Approval is indicated on the unit and grading option requirements section of the Graduate or
     Professional Student Agreement (GSAG). Be familiar with your departmental and Graduate
     Division requirements as well as any requirements imposed by fellowships or financial aid.

     Taking less than the minimum load
     If, due to circumstances beyond your control, it becomes necessary to carry fewer units than
     the program requires for any term, you must submit a General Petition for a deficit load. This
     petition must clearly explain the reason for the deficit load and must be approved by the EAP
     Study Center and the Universitywide Office of EAP. There may be serious repercussions for
     financial aid students who fail to carry a minimum load; discuss the situation with the Study
     Center prior to completing a petition for a deficit load. Some campuses have additional criteria
     with regard to deficit loads; if you are facing a possible deficit load, check with your campus
     regarding the policy for minimum academic progress toward the degree.
     If you have bona fide health problems or learning or other disabilities, you may obtain a letter of
     approval for a specified deficit load from the disability or health office at your UC campus. You
     must forward this letter to the Universitywide Office of EAP prior to departure.
     To take less than the required load, you must obtain approval prior to departure. See Reduction
     of Units to Avoid Campus Unit Ceilings in this chapter.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Academic Information

     Reduction of units to avoid campus unit ceilings
     The unit accumulation limitations require seniors to plan very carefully in order to meet campus
     regulations and to avoid difficulties with graduation upon return.
     Most UC campuses impose limits on the number of units you may accumulate before graduation.
     If you will enter senior standing while abroad, make sure you understand your campus unit
     ceilings. Consult your campus college advisor for the particular limits that apply to you. You
     may need to petition your college dean or provost for a waiver of regulations related to unit
     accumulation. The petition must include solid justification supporting the waiver.
     If you need to reduce your units below 18 UC quarter units per semester (or 12 units per quarter)
     to avoid the graduation unit ceiling, file a letter from your college advisor prior to departure
     requesting a specified deficit load. UOEAP must approve the request. Take a copy of the
     approved request abroad. If you do not file such a request and receive approval, you will be
     required to take the program’s minimum load.
     To avoid exceeding the campus graduation unit ceiling, you may use the variable unit option
     to reduce the number of units on one or more courses. The total unit load may be reduced to
     a minimum of 18 UC quarter units per semester (or 12 per quarter). For example, in a program
     that requires 24 UC quarter units per term, you may reduce the units in one or more courses so
     that the total is 18 units without reducing the number of courses or the amount of work in any
     course. Unit reductions are made when you complete the MyEAP Study List at the beginning of
     your term abroad.

     Variable unit option
     All courses approved for UC credit are approved for the maximum number of quarter units a
     student may receive. The maximum approved units for a course are shown in the MyEAP Course
     Catalog. All courses (except courses taken in summer programs) carry variable quarter units in
     the sense that you may elect to take fewer than the maximum approved units for a course (1 unit
     minimum or 1.5 for Berkeley and Merced students).
     The decreased units recorded on the MyEAP Study List do not represent any decrease in the
     work required for the course.
     Unit values for new courses are recommended by the Study Center and reflect class contact
     time or correlation with the host institution credit for the course. The fact that a course is taught
     in a foreign language does not affect the assignment of unit value. The final approved unit
     value is determined through the course cataloguing process that begins with the submission of
     course information to MyEAP. If an approved course changes, the Study Center will submit new
     information to request an adjustment in the unit value.

     Units for UC semester students
     If you are a Berkeley or Merced student, you will enter UC quarter units on your MyEAP Study
     List. The quarter units are converted to semester units when grades are entered on student
     records by the UC Registrar’s Office (1.5 quarter units equal one semester unit; quarter units
     multiplied by .66 equal number of semester units).

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                   Academic Information

     Registration Process
     MyEAP Study List and course registration
     All courses taken through EAP must be carefully described and approved for UC credit in order to
     be listed on your academic record by EAP. Credit for EAP course work is recorded in UC quarter
     Before the start of the academic term, you will meet with the Study Center to discuss the
     academic program. Regardless of the program of study you are undertaking, you will enroll in
     courses using the MyEAP Study List and you will earn grades and credit for those courses.
     With the support of the Study Center, you may enroll in courses that UC students have not
     previously taken. New courses are approved for UC credit each year. If you take a course that
     has not previously been approved for UC credit, you will provide the Study Center with the
     pertinent information through MyEAP. The Study Center submits new course information to
     the Universitywide Office of EAP. UOEAP notifies the Study Center of any errors in units, course
     level, or UC subject area designation that might affect the MyEAP Study List. It is imperative that
     you supply the needed information for the course promptly at the beginning of the term through
     MyEAP; otherwise, approval of UC credit for the course may be delayed.
     After consulting with the Study Center and determining an academic program, you will register
     for your courses on the MyEAP Study List. You are responsible for completing all courses on the
     MyEAP Study List. Any change to the MyEAP Study List must be made by petition. (Additional
     information about petitions is provided in the following sections.) You must abide by host
     institution deadlines for changes, when applicable.
     Verify that the Study Center has accurate descriptions of your course work and that all the
     necessary information has been submitted through MyEAP by the Study Center deadline. Keep
     copies of your work, MyEAP Study List, petitions, and course information.
     Since you will be studying in a different academic system, it may be prudent to initially enroll
     in more than the necessary number of courses. Usually students can drop the extra courses
     from the MyEAP Study List up to approximately the middle of the term; however, some host
     institutions require that you make changes earlier in the term. To add or drop a course, you must
     follow the host institution’s procedures and file a General Petition with the EAP Study Center.
     See the Unit Requirements and Grades sections of this chapter for additional policies related to
     MyEAP course registration.

     Failure to register
     If you fail to register within the host institution’s prescribed registration time and/or fail to
     submit a complete MyEAP Study List and course information by the prescribed deadline, you will
     be subject to a lapse of student status and dismissal from EAP, which carries serious financial

     Auditing is discouraged. Auditing a course must be approved by the EAP Study Center and the
     course instructor. Audited courses do not appear on MyEAP Study Lists or UC transcripts and
     credit is not awarded. An audited course may not be counted toward meeting the required
     minimum load and may not be considered a reason for you to be permitted to take a deficit load.
     Retroactive requests to add audited courses are not permitted. You may not audit ILP courses;
     ILP courses must be taken for credit.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Academic Information

     Vacation travel and absences
     You are expected to remain at the host institution location and attend classes regularly during
     all academic sessions. Regardless of the practices of local students or the flexibility of the host
     country’s educational system, unauthorized absences during the academic year constitute
     grounds for disciplinary action. Excessive absences may damage the relationship between UC
     and the host institution and may lead to administrative dismissal from the program.
     You are required to maintain contact with the EAP Study Center, respond to communications,
     and attend meetings called by the Study Center.
     Restrict personal travel to weekends and university holidays. Since emergencies may happen
     at any time while you travel, you must provide the Study Center with your travel itinerary,
     including contact addresses and phone numbers, especially if you will be gone for more than a
     weekend. You must notify the Study Center if you are delayed in returning to the host institution.
     Depending on the circumstances, the Study Center may charge you for expenses incurred in
     locating you if no word is left regarding your whereabouts. See the EAP Student Travel Policy for
     details and restrictions.

     Taking and retaking final exams in the U.S. is not permitted
     You must complete all course work and exams before leaving the host institution or Study
     Center. Unless there is an emergency situation beyond your control, such as an extreme health
     situation, a dire safety or security threat, or closure of the university, you may not take final
     exams in the U.S. or leave the program before completing final exams. Although the practice
     in some countries permits the retaking of final exams several weeks or months after the original
     exam period, EAP students are not permitted to retake exams in the U.S. Some programs are
     designed to end before the official end of the host institution term, in which case you would be
     instructed by the Study Center on how to arrange the completion of your courses.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Academic Information

     Independent Studies, Internships, and Research Projects
     Process for undergoing Special Study Projects
     Special study projects, such as an independent study course, research project, or internship for
     academic credit, are available on select EAP programs, depending on the specific purpose of
     the program and the resources available. All special study projects require the permission of the
     Study Center Director.
     The Study Center Director and a host institution faculty member or other qualified expert help
     you plan the project and must supervise it on a regular basis. If a UC campus faculty member
     helps you develop the outline of a project, you may be referred to the Study Center Director
     after acceptance into EAP; the Study Center Director will locate a host institution faculty member
     to supervise the project while you are abroad. Occasionally, a UC campus faculty member may
     act as the direct supervisor of a project. In this case, you would make arrangements with the
     faculty member and EAP before departure and submit a Special Study Project form, along with a
     supporting plan of study or research proposal, to the Campus EAP Office. The form must include
     the approval of the UC faculty member supervisor, his or her full name, departmental affiliation,
     address, e-mail, and phone number. The faculty member must agree to be available for regularly
     scheduled consultations during the term via the Internet or phone.
     You must thoroughly describe your project on the Special Study Project form and provide the
     required attachments following guidelines in the Study Center Academic Manual. The project
     must result in a serious academic paper with unit credit assigned according to UC practice for
     independent study course work. You may be able to use the special study project to meet honors
     program research requirements in your UC campus college. Discuss this possibility with your
     college academic advisor. The essential aspects of a special study project are:
         • Planning: Formulate the special study project with a UC faculty member before you go
           abroad or with the Study Center Director upon arrival. Prepare a plan of study or research
           proposal that defines the project objectives, describes the methodology, outlines steps of
           implementation, lists sources, and notes the work to be assessed.
         • Supervision: This is a critical aspect of independent study; an appropriate host institution
           faculty member, the Study Center Director, or a UC campus faculty member must be
           available for regularly scheduled consultation during the term of the project.
         • Credit: To receive credit for the project, complete the required Special Study Project form
           and supporting plan. The Study Center Director submits these documents to UOEAP. The
           number of units of credit is based on the direct consultation time with the supervisor, the
           time you spend on independent work, and the type and amount of work submitted for a
           grade. The Special Study Project form stipulates who is responsible for assigning the final
     Special study may replace no more than one regular course per term in most programs. The P/
     NP grading option is permitted except in certain programs that require a letter grade. EAP uses
     the numbers 190 to 198 for the various types of undergraduate special study project courses.
     The academic program chapter of your EAP Program Guide may have additional information on
     independent study, if applicable.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                   Academic Information

     Internships for academic credit
     Internships offered for credit by EAP through the Study Center are serious academic activities
     that combine opportunities for acquiring practical experience with intellectual study, which
     is demonstrated by written evidence. An academic internship involves work in a corporate,
     governmental, public, or private organization or institution, usually for approximately 20
     hours per week. In addition, for at least one hour per week you would participate in scheduled
     consultations with the supervisor regarding the academic substance of the project. Internships
     are generally easier to arrange during the second term abroad than in the first term because
     students are accustomed to living in the host country and are better prepared for working in a
     foreign environment.
     An internship for academic credit requires a substantial paper or series of reports, or other
     documentation. Participants must describe the work done, provide thoughtful analysis of
     what was learned on the job, and demonstrate that they have investigated and analyzed the
     experience beyond the mere performance of duties.
     An internship for academic credit also requires regularly scheduled consultation with the direct
     supervisor. This time is for discussion of what you are learning from an academic point of view
     (e.g., developing knowledge about the general field, the broader context of the specific work,
     comparison of the host country activity and experience with that of the U.S., etc.).
     The internship supervisor will keep a record of your attendance along with other information
     pertinent to the evaluation of your work and will provide the Study Center Director with a
     narrative evaluation of your performance and a suggested grade. You may choose the letter or P/
     NP grade option, unless your particular program requires a letter grade. The Study Center Director
     assigns the final UC grade. Where there is a Liaison Officer, that person recommends the grade to
     the EAP Academic Dean or Associate Dean, who assigns the final UC grade. More information may
     be available in your EAP Program Guide.

     Extracurricular internships and community service
     Non-credit internships and volunteer service opportunities are available in some programs. If
     you are interested, research the opportunities, preferably before departure, and be prepared
     to make your own arrangements for an internship in the host country. The Study Center may be
     able to provide lists of likely organizations or examples from earlier students or known contacts.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                   Academic Information

     Changing your MyEAP Study List
     Once the MyEAP Study List is closed, the only way to change it is by submitting a petition to the
     Study Center. Possible changes include:
         •	Adding or dropping a class
         •	Changing the number of units
         •	Changing the grading option
     A General Petition is used for standard actions taken before the petition deadline date set by
     the Study Center. A General Petition may also be used up to the end of instruction during a term,
     but not after final exams have begun. The Study Center can provide the deadline dates for these
     A General Petition would be initiated, signed, and dated by you, and approved (or denied) by the
     Study Center Director. Petitions filed after the deadline and petitions for exceptions to policy
     are forwarded to UOEAP for final approval. You are cautioned that approval for an exception to
     policy relates only to EAP; it does not mean that your UC campus department will approve an
     exception to its requirements (e.g., a letter grade required for major credit).
     Changes requested after final exams have begun or final grades are known must be submitted
     on a Retroactive Petition. This type of petition is approved only in unusual circumstances related
     to health problems or special academic situations. Retroactive Petitions require final approval by
     the campus dean or provost.
     Under	no	circumstances	will	petitions	be	accepted	after	12	months	following	the	end	of	the	EAP	
     program. In the event any petition is denied, the decision is final and re-petitioning the same
     action is not permitted.

     Unauthorized program changes
     To avoid serious problems involving grades and credits submit a petition to update your MyEAP
     Study List if you change your registration at the host institution (e.g., drop a course) or stop
     attending class. Any course that is not completed or is not approved to be officially dropped will
     be assigned an F grade.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                     Academic Information

     Official UC grades and transcripts
     EAP grades become a part of your academic record at UC and appear on your official UC
     transcript. The Study Center Director is the official UC instructor of record for courses taken at
     the host institution. Where there is no UC faculty member serving as Study Center Director, a
     host institution Liaison Officer who is well acquainted with the U.S. system of higher education
     performs academic counseling and obtains and forwards grades to the UOEAP Academic Dean,
     who serves as the UC instructor of record.
     Host institutions maintain their own academic records for EAP students and follow their own
     grading practices, which differ from those of the UC system. EAP maintains its own UC student
     records of courses, units, and grades.
     The grades you receive from the host institution professors may or may not be your final UC
     grades. EAP converts course work taken abroad into UC courses, units, and grades, so your UC
     transcript is the complete and only official record of the work you complete on EAP.
     Host institution transcripts are not issued to students and are for use only by the Study Center or
     by UOEAP.
     Grading scales used or published by host institutions are not necessarily applied in awarding
     EAP grades. To determine UC grades, the Study Center uses host institution grades and, where
     applicable, other aspects of your academic work, which may include attendance, distribution
     of class scores, and narrative evaluations given by host institution faculty. In programs at host
     institutions whose curricula and grading practices are not significantly different from UC, the
     grades reported by the host institution do not require any conversion or amendment. Keep in
     mind that grading policies may be more stringent outside the U.S. If you have a question about a
     grade, consult the Study Center and request an explanation of the assigned grade.
     All grades reported to campus registrars by the Universitywide Office of EAP are considered
     permanent and final. A grade may not be changed except to correct a documented clerical or
     procedural error. With the exception of grades of Incomplete (I) or In Progress (IP), no grade
     may be revised by reexamination or by completing additional work.
     Once grades have been recorded at your UC campus, check the EAP portion of your academic
     records carefully. If you suspect an error, inquire at the Campus EAP Office about how to have
     your record reviewed.
     Grade Appeals
     If you believe that non-academic criteria have been used in determining the final UC grade for
     a course, you may write an appeal to the Universitywide Office of EAP or write directly to the
     Study Center. Criteria not directly reflective of academic performance includes discrimination
     on political grounds, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, or nationality. Such
     appeals are handled by a procedure similar to that used at UC campuses. The Study Center will
     be asked to supply information to clarify the situation.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Academic Information

     Grades from EAP take time
     Grades earned on EAP will not be posted to UC records as quickly as UC campus grades are
     posted because grade reporting practices at universities abroad differ from those at UC and
     are generally more time consuming. Once the grades for a program are available at the Study
     Center, they are sent to the Universitywide Office of EAP where they are processed (as a group,
     not individually) and then electronically transmitted to the respective UC campus registrars.
     As soon as they are transmitted to the UC Registrars you will be able to view your grades
     through your MyEAP portal; however, grades are not official until they have been posted to
     your UC transcript.
     Grades are generally reported to the campus registrar within 90 days of the end of a program.
     If your grades have not been posted after 90 days, you may request an Individual Grade Report,
     provided there is an urgent need for grades and other documentation (e.g., MyEAP Study List,
     correspondence to a requesting agency) will not suffice. Such requests will not be accepted prior
     to the end of the 90-day period, and grades may be delayed with the host institution.
     Contact your Campus EAP Office if you have questions about your grades.

     Outstanding debts and grades
     If you owe a debt at the host institution or the Study Center, you must pay the outstanding
     balance, especially if you are notified to do so by EAP. Failure to do so may jeopardize the release
     of your grades from the host institution.

     Incomplete (I) grades
     If you intend to complete any papers or other course assignments after the final exam date,
     including taking a late exam in countries where this option is available, you must complete a
     Contract for an “I” (Incomplete) Grade with the Study Center Director. You may not make
     special arrangements directly with the host instructor to turn in late work without completing a
     Contract for an I Grade.
     Incomplete (I) grades are strongly discouraged. The Study Center Director will allow an I grade
     only when there is no other way to complete a course. In a case where an I grade is unavoidable,
     you must obtain consent from the instructor and the Study Center to complete the work late
     and then complete the Contract for an “I” (Incomplete) Grade with the Study Center. You must
     indicate how much work you have completed and what work is outstanding, and set a deadline
     date by which the course work will be completed. That deadline must be within six months after
     the end of the term in which the course was taken. The contract must be completed and signed
     before the end of the term affected.
     If the I grade has not been cleared by the deadline on the contract, the I grade will be changed to
     an F grade (or NP or U, as appropriate). Although your UC campus may have its own rules about
     removal of I grades, you are governed by EAP policy on Incomplete grades.

     No report (NR) grades
     No Report (NR) at the time of final grades will be changed to an F grade (or NP or U, as
     appropriate) six months after the end of the academic term in which the course was taken.
     Although EAP urges instructors to submit grades on time, grades are sometimes submitted late. It
     is imperative that you and the Study Center follow up on any grades that have not been received
     and recorded.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                   Academic Information

     P/NP and letter grade option
     You must indicate the pass/no pass (P/NP) grade option on your MyEAP Study List or petition to
     change to or from P/NP grading by the General Petition deadline set by your Study Center. You
     may elect to take up to a third of your total unit load per term (except in an ILP or short-term
     language program) on a P/NP basis unless policy for the specific program prohibits it. To take
     more than one-third of your total unit load on a P/NP basis in any single term, submit a General
     Petition requesting an exception to policy and providing justification for the request for excess
     P/NP units. ILP courses may not be taken for the P/NP grading option unless the courses are
     offered only on a P/NP basis by the host institution.
     Most campus departments prohibit the P/NP grade option for any course in the major. It is your
     responsibility to be aware of your UC campus regulations, restrictions, or limitations regarding
     P/NP, and to plan course work abroad accordingly. EAP is not responsible for ensuring that your
     MyEAP Study List complies with UC campus requirements regarding P/NP.
     The P or NP grade will be assigned in accordance with the rules of your UC campus; some UC
     campuses consider a grade of C or above to be equivalent to a P, while others consider a grade
     of C- or above to be equivalent to a P.
     Unless prohibited by individual program policy, graduate students may elect to take an EAP
     course on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) basis within the limitations established by the
     home department as recorded on the GSAG. You can select the P/NP option in MyEAP and the
     corresponding S or U will be reported to your UC campus.

 Back                 UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                  Safety: Our Partnership

Safety: Our Partnership
 Think about Safety   You must adopt a safe lifestyle...
 and Have a Plan      Mentally prepare for moving to an unfamiliar environment...
                      Actively minimize risks and prepare for potential hazards....

 Simple               Discuss questions and concerns with EAP staff...
 Predeparture         Register your EAP trip with the U.S. Department of State...
 Steps                Sign your passport and fill in the emergency information...
                      Develop a personal emergency plan...

 Do Your              Know the laws of your EAP country...
 Predeparture         Assume responsibility for all the elements necessary for preparing for EAP...
 Homework             Learn about road safety...
                      Follow news reports about your host country...
                      Know the vocabulary to get help in an emergency...

 Stay Connected       Arrange to contact your family by appointment, especially after arrival...
                      Provide and keep updated contact information at all times...
                      Connect with EAP and family during a local or regional disaster...
                      Know what to do and who to contact during a personal emergency...
                      Stay in touch with EAP staff and family during personal travel...

 Take Precautions     Be aware of your surroundings and avoid being a target of crime...
 Abroad to Reduce     Pay attention to your actions and appearance and try to adapt...
 Risks                Prepare to live in an urban environment...
                      Safeguard your belongings from damage or theft...
                      Avoid demonstrations and events that may become unruly...
                      Avoid illegal drugs and excessive or irresponsible consumption of alcohol...

 Back                          UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                     Safety: Our Partnership

     Think about Safety and Have a Plan
     You must adopt a safe lifestyle
     When thinking about safety around the world, it is important to have a balanced perspective.
     Safety is a global, phenomenon. As Americans know, the United States is not immune to acts of
     crime or violence.
     EAP is committed to promoting a safe support system and to offering reliable information on
     potential risks and necessary precautions; however, you exercise choice in following these
     The best way to prepare for a healthy and safe study abroad experience is to inform yourself
     and discuss basic health and safety issues with your family and your Campus EAP Advisor before
     leaving the U.S. EAP views safety and security as a partnership with you.
     UCEAP Cannot:
         1. Guarantee or assure your safety or eliminate all risks from the study abroad environments.
         2. Monitor or control all of your daily personal decisions, choices, and activities.
         3. Guarantee that you will not engage in illegal or dangerous activities.

     Mentally prepare for moving to an unfamiliar environment
     Your well-being abroad is mostly your responsibility, so take initiative and educate yourself
     about cultural differences. The most important factor that may impact your stay is your
     personal behavior, which is only under your control, so prepare now for living in an unfamiliar
     environment and think about how you will respond or react to various situations, how you will
     conduct yourself in public settings, etc.
     Understand how you will learn to tolerate adversity and uncertainty.

     Actively minimize risks and prepare for potential hazards
     It is important to acknowledge that living and studying in an unfamiliar environment anywhere
     in the world comes with risks. There are several factors that can heighten your personal risk,
     many of which are within your control. Both you and your family have a role to play in minimizing
     potential risks, and EAP expects you to participate actively in minimizing risks while abroad.
     The goal is to make informed, responsible, and reasonable decisions and choices concerning
     your health and safety.
     You can prepare for potential hazards by having a personal Emergency Plan (EP) in place in case
     something happens. For example, if you have travel plans during a program break, have a plan in
     hand—be sure you know how to get to your destination and you have adequate information on
     all the basics, including emergency contact information.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                   Safety: Our Partnership

     Simple Predeparture Steps
     Discuss questions and concerns with EAP staff
     Experienced and knowledgeable staff in the U.S. and abroad will help you stay safe during your
     daily activities and during emergency situations.

     Register your EAP trip with the U.S. Department of State
     Online registration with the U.S. Department of State Travel website is easy, voluntary, and free,
     but it should be a major part of your travel planning and security. Update your travel plans if
     you will be traveling to other countries during your EAP break. This will help the Department of
     State contact you if there is a family emergency in the United States or if there is a crisis where
     you are traveling. You will also receive updated travel information for countries you plan to visit.
     In accordance with the Privacy Act, information on your welfare and whereabouts will not be
     released to others without your express authorization.
     If you encounter any difficulties or have any questions about the travel registration website,
     e-mail CAIbrs@state.gov

     Sign your passport and fill in the emergency information
     Make sure you have a signed, valid passport, and a visa.
     Fill in the emergency information page of your passport. Most passports are valid for ten years.
     Write the contact information in pencil so you can change it as needed over time.

     Develop a personal emergency plan
     The first step in case of a personal emergency is being prepared before an emergency/crisis
     occurs. Consider adopting a personal Emergency Plan (EP). Determine what actions to take in
     the event of an emergency in detail. Your EP should include a list of local staff who can help with
     an emergency and the people to call in case you are injured. The better prepared you are ahead
     of time, the better chance you have of responding effectively to an emergency and/or crisis.
     Leave a copy of your plan with your family in the U.S.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                   Safety: Our Partnership

     Do Your Predeparture Homework
     Know the laws of your EAP country
     You must obey all host country laws and host institution regulations. No matter where you are,
     you are bound by the local legal system. For example, laws in other countries may have severe
     penalties for those caught with drugs.
     It is your responsibility to be informed about the legal system in your EAP host country as well as
     the legal system in countries you will be traveling through.
     If a dispute arises, ignorance of local law is no defense. You cannot claim that you are unaware of
     a law to escape liability for violating that law.
     Other countries’ laws are very different and legal procedures vary from nation to nation. Rights
     assumed in the U.S. are not always granted in other countries. The U.S. embassy may assist
     you in finding legal representation, but if you are accused or arrested for a crime, they cannot
     intervene on your behalf or get you out of jail.

     Assume responsibility for all the elements necessary for preparing for EAP
     Read all EAP materials and participate fully in orientations.
     Understand and comply with the UCEAP Student Agreement, codes of conduct, and emergency

     Learn about road safety
     According to the U.S. Department of State, road travel is the greatest risk to healthy Americans
     In some countries, bad roads and careless drivers are considered top dangers.
     For information about road and traffic realities abroad, visit the Association for Safe
     International Road Travel website.

     Follow news reports about your host country
     For the latest security information, regularly monitor the U.S. Department of State’s
     International Travel page.

     Know the vocabulary to get help in an emergency
     Get emergency vocabulary before you travel and memorize words for both medical and non-
     medical emergencies.
     If you have a disability, learn specific vocabulary relating to your disability to communicate
     important needs during an emergency.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                   Safety: Our Partnership

     Stay Connected
     Arrange to contact your family by appointment, especially after arrival
     Discuss communication expectations before the start of the program. Stay in touch with your
     family to reassure them of your safety and whereabouts. If you make plans to call at a certain
     time, follow through with that appointment so your family does not worry unnecessarily. This is
     especially crucial when you first arrive.
     Some EAP programs take place in remote locations so it can be difficult to know where
     you may be at all times, so discuss what types of communication may be feasible, alternate
     communication plans if there is an unexpected delay, and how often you will communicate.

     Provide and keep updated contact information at all times
     To update your contact information with EAP, log on to your MyEAP account and select
     Contact info from the left-hand menu. You will need to update “Address Abroad While
     Participating in EAP.”
     Carry at all times the EAP Study Center and/or host institution contact information. You should
     also provide your family with accurate and up-to-date local contact information.

     Connect with EAP and family during a local or regional disaster
     In the event of a local emergency such as an earthquake, flood, etc., a UCEAP representative
     will contact you to ascertain your well-being and whereabouts, and to provide information,
     instructions, and advice. You may also be asked to call other students in your group if the EAP
     Study Center established a phone tree for emergencies. Details on emergency protocols will be
     discussed during the on-site orientation, so pay careful attention to those instructions. Make
     sure your contact information is updated.
     News about an emergency or disaster in your host country will potentially be broadcasted
     in the U.S., so contact your family in the U.S. as soon as possible to let them know about your

     Know what to do and who to contact during a personal emergency
     Carry local emergency numbers (police, ambulance, etc.) and other emergency contact
     information with you at all times. Depending on the seriousness of the situation, contact
     local emergency services first, then contact your EAP Study Center Director or local EAP
     representative and/or staff. Let the Study Center know of any problem before contacting your
     parents, guardians, or emergency contacts.
     Keep separate emergency funds in case you are stranded or need to leave the country quickly.

     Stay in touch with EAP staff and family during personal travel
     You are responsible for providing a detailed itinerary to the EAP Study Center and your family
     whenever you leave the EAP site. The itinerary should include your contact information, travel
     dates, and destinations.

     Sign out officially through the MyEAP Travel Signout form any time you will be away from the
     Study Center area for more than 24 hours.
     While traveling, know where you are, where you are headed, and how you are getting to your
     destination. If your family does not hear from you for a while, they might worry needlessly.
     EAP strongly discourages couch surfing through online networks that connect you to people
     who will let you sleep on their couch for free. Safety is your primary concern and responsibility,
     so whether you choose to couch surf or not, make sure someone knows where you are at all
     times. Always keep emergency phone numbers at hand and note where police stations are
     located in every city you visit.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                 Safety: Our Partnership

     Take Precautions Abroad to Reduce Risks
     Be aware of your surroundings and avoid being a target of crime
     Risks Upon Arrival:
     Newly arrived travelers are often targets of crime because they:
         • Are unfamiliar with their surroundings
         • Might not speak the local language well
         • Are clearly recognizable as foreigners
         • Have not yet learned the social norms or unwritten rules of conduct
         • Are eager to get to know new people and the local culture
         • Are naive to the intentions of people around them
         • Are carrying all their valuables with them
     Actions to Avoid:
     Some factors that you can control, which may place you under greater risk, include:
         • Being out after midnight
         • Being alone at night in an isolated area (travel with someone whenever possible)
         • Being in a known high crime area
         • Sleeping in an unlocked place
         • Being out after a local curfew
         • Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
         • Carrying excessive amounts of cash
         • Wearing ostentatious jewelry or clothing

     Pay attention to your actions and appearance and try to adapt
     It is best to keep an open mind, not taking offense easily. In your new surroundings, others
     may misinterpret or be offended by what you may consider normal dress and interaction, so be
     aware of local dress and customs and try to adapt accordingly. Be culturally sensitive, but not to
     the detriment of your safety. Social gestures that may seem innocuous in your culture may be
     interpreted in radically different ways in other societies. Make sure your appearance is respectful
     of local customs; do not risk drawing negative attention to yourself by wearing inappropriate
     clothing. Understanding local culture will help you stay safe.

     Prepare to live in an urban environment
     Many Study Centers are located in major international cities; therefore, you may experience
     conditions associated with dense urban living anywhere in the world: increased crime, pollution,
     sexual harassment, and standards of living that are not comparable to life at UC. You will need
     to practice the same safety tips you would in any place you are not familiar with. The more you
     learn now about these realities, the better prepared you will be to handle the challenges and
     rewards of studying abroad.

     Safeguard your belongings from damage or theft
     As on your UC campus, you are responsible for personal property. You can safeguard your
     belongings from damage or theft by making sure that your room and windows are locked, and
     by securing money, travelers checks, and other valuables.
     Review the EAP personal property insurance benefits and determine whether they are

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                   Safety: Our Partnership

     Avoid demonstrations and events that may become unruly
     It is important that you do not participate in illegal strikes or demonstrations and that you
     abide by the regulations of the host institution and laws of the country. Although strikes and
     demonstrations may occur in your host country, be aware that as a foreigner participating in
     political activities abroad you can be arrested and/or deported. The local constitutions of many
     countries around the world prohibit political activities by foreigners.
     You are urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible and to exercise caution if you are
     within the vicinity of any demonstrations. Anti-American sentiments may be expressed at some
     political events, and even demonstrations that are intended to be peaceful can sometimes turn
     violent. You don’t want to be caught in the middle of such situations. Participating in an illegal
     demonstration or strike might not only cause you physical harm, it might also be harmful to UC’s
     relationship with the host institution or country.

     Avoid illegal drugs and excessive or irresponsible consumption of alcohol
     Never feel pressured into drinking alcohol or using illegal substances. Read the EAP Substance
     Abuse Policy.
     It is important to obey the laws and regulations of the country you are visiting, especially those
     pertaining to drug and alcohol use. Excessive alcohol consumption and unruly behavior can lead
     to serious problems with local authorities. Disturbing the peace, lewd or indecent behavior,
     littering, drinking on the street or on public transportation, using public transportation without
     payment, or making obscene or insulting remarks may all be considered criminal activities by
     local authorities. Every year, many American students are arrested abroad on drug charges or
     because of their behavior under the influence. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, so be informed.
     Local laws can impose harsh penalties for violations that would be considered minor in the
     United States, and U.S. citizenship in no way exempts one from full prosecution under the
     local criminal justice system. The importation, purchase, possession, or use of drugs can incur
     severe penalties, including imprisonment without bail for up to a year before a case is tried, and
     imprisonment of several years following a conviction.

 Back                 UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                Student Life

Student Life
 Important            Obtain a valid passport or renew an invalid one...
 Documents            Follow EAP instructions to apply for a student visa...
                      Submit all required predeparture documents by the specified deadlines...
                      Purchase an airline ticket with a changeable return date...
                      Documents for non-U.S. citizens...

 Applying EAP         Specific arrival and orientation requirements you must adhere to...
 Policies             Understand EAP policies and host country laws concerning conduct...
                      Illegal drugs...
                      Enter all travel plans and absences in MyEAP so EAP can reach you during

 Gender Issues        Be aware of potential gender issues and report any incidents to EAP...
                      Sexual orientation within the context of a foreign culture...
                      Be aware of sexual harassment and report issues to EAP...

 Cultural Immersion   Be prepared for culture shock; it happens to everyone in varying degrees...
                      Read about your country and keep up with the latest news...
                      Facing racial/ethnic issues...
                      Get involved in extracurricular activities when possible...
                      Don’t allow obstacles stop you from studying abroad...
                      Be prepared to experience reverse culture shock; you will be a different person...
 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                               Student Life

     Important Documents
     Obtain a valid passport or renew an invalid one
     If you do not already have a passport, apply for one immediately. Often there are early visa or
     admission documents that require a current passport.
         • The U.S. Department of State website contains passport information and application
           or renewal forms for U.S. citizens. Additional information is available from the National
           Passport Information Center (NPIC) at (877) 487-2778 or via TDD/TTY at (888) 874-7793.
         • Your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay. Depending on your program, your
           passport should be valid at least 3 to 18 months beyond the end date of your stay. If the
           passport will expire before that time, you will need to renew it before departure.
         • Check with the embassy or consulate of your host country about passport duration and
           country-specific entry requirements.
         • If you are planning to travel before, during, or after EAP, check the visa requirements of the
           countries you plan to visit.
         • In rare cases, it may be possible to legally get a second U.S. passport for use while your
           original passport remains with the consulate for visa processing. The Universitywide Office
           of EAP cannot assist you with this process. If you are interested in a second passport, check
           with the U.S. passport agency for details.
         • Immediately upon receipt: sign your passport, make copies of the first two pages, and leave
           one copy with an emergency contact at home. If possible, scan your passport and visa so
           they are accessible electronically while abroad.
         • Update MyEAP with your passport information. Make sure the spelling of your name
           matches the spelling on your passport.

     Follow EAP instructions to apply for a student visa
     A visa (or entry clearance or resident permit) is an endorsement, usually a stamp or sticker,
     placed in the passport by the authorities of the host country. The visa grants its bearer
     permission to enter and reside in the host country for the purpose stated and for a certain
     period of time. The Universitywide Office of EAP will provide you with specific visa and entry
     requirement information in your EAP Predeparture Checklist. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you
     are responsible for researching the host country’s entry requirements.
     Each country has different student visa requirements. If your host country requires a student
     visa prior to arrival, do not enter the host country without the student visa, even though you
     might be able to enter as a tourist. Once abroad, it can be difficult, even impossible, to obtain
     the necessary student visa.
     The granting of a visa is a privilege, not a right. Issuing or denying a visa is an act of the
     government of the host country. Consulates and embassies reserve the right to reject a visa
     application. The consulates and embassies set strict rules for obtaining student visas; EAP can
     not help you if your application is denied or delayed. It is your responsibility to obtain a student
     visa, and you should refer to your program-specific visa information for further details. If you do
     not obtain the proper visa in a timely manner, you may not be able to participate in the program.

          h International travel prior to the Official Start Date may be restricted due to
             visa processing and issuance.

 Back                          UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                  Student Life

     Submit all required predeparture documents by the specified deadlines
     Your EAP Participants Program Page
     UOEAP will e-mail you the link to your EAP Participants program page, which includes
     Predeparture and Review Checklists, budgets, calendars, insurance forms and instructions, and
     other predeparture resources. It is crucial that you review all the tabs on this page, which include
     EAP Travel Requirements, Money Matters, Program Calendars, Insurance Information, Policies,
     and Petitions. Most items will only be available online for you to download, complete, and
     submit. Review the instructions as soon as you receive them—do not wait until the last minute.
     Return all forms and accompanying documents by the designated deadlines. Failure to submit
     required documents by specified deadlines is cause for dismissal from EAP.

     Purchase an airline ticket with a changeable return date
         • Do not get a standby ticket.
         • Always check your Program Calendar on the EAP website before finalizing a flight
         • If you are on financial aid, you will have to determine how to purchase a plane ticket prior to
           receiving a financial aid disbursement. Neither EAP nor the Financial Aid office will reserve
           or pay for your ticket.
         • EAP recommends purchasing changeable fares, which will allow you to make changes
           to your return flight for a fee. Carefully research airfare rules prior to purchasing a flight.
           Standby and courier fares are not appropriate.
         • A few programs offer or require a group flight.; check your Predeparture Checklist for details.

     Documents for non-U.S. citizens
          h If applicable, be sure any reentry documents are valid.
     You are warned against applying for U.S. citizenship before or during your participation in EAP.
     As a non-U.S. citizen, you must immediately contact the consulate of the country in which you
     intend to study to determine your specific requirements, which will vary depending on your
     country of citizenship. You will likely need to obtain a visa in order to enter and study in the host
     country. The visa process can take several months, so initiate it as soon as you are accepted for
     participation in EAP.
     Non-U.S. citizens applying for visas to study in another country must generally have a valid
     passport from their country of citizenship plus proof of permission to reenter the U.S., such as
     a proof of permanent residency status (Green Card), or a readmittance stamp in their passport.
     If you do not have a U.S. Reentry Permit but have a valid passport, you are likely to be denied a
     visa. You can apply for a U.S. Reentry Permit at a local immigration office. If you already have the
     permit, make sure it will remain valid throughout your entire stay abroad.
     Being out of the U.S. may jeopardize your permanent residence status in the U.S. If you are
     considering extension of your EAP participation from a short-term program to a year program,
     take the necessary steps before departure to ensure your legal return to the U.S.
     If you fail to obtain the proper visa documentation prior to departure, the host country may deny
     your admittance to the country or limit your stay to a shorter period of time. Such a situation
     would prevent your participation in EAP.

 Back                          UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                  Student Life

     Applying EAP Policies
     Specific arrival and orientation requirements you must adhere to
     You must arrive at the predetermined site in the host country by the specified time on the
     EAP Official Start Date. After arrival, you must attend the mandatory EAP orientation. You are
     required to attend all orientation activities. If you arrive late, or do not participate in all or part
     of the required orientation, you may be withdrawn from the program (see Student Agreement,
     Section 10).

     Understand EAP policies and host country laws concerning conduct
          h You are expected to read and comply with the EAP Student Conduct and Discipline
             Policy. If you are ever in doubt, ask; ignorance of laws is not an excuse to break them
             and will not inhibit disciplinary action.
     The University of California Education Abroad Program is a community committed to maintaining
     an environment that encourages personal and intellectual growth. It is a community with
     high standards and high expectations for those who choose to become a part of it, including
     established rules of conduct intended to foster behaviors that are consistent with a civil and
     educational setting. As a member of the EAP community, you are expected to comply with all
     host country laws and UC and EAP policies and campus regulations, and conduct yourself in a
     way that supports a scholarly environment. As an EAP participant you assume a dual status as
     both a UC student and a student of the host institution and host country. Therefore, you are
     subject to, and should be familiar with, student conduct policies of the host university institution
     and local laws.
     Misconduct abroad refers to actions that, in the judgment of the Education Abroad Program,
     jeopardize student welfare or that of the program. Such actions include, but are not limited to:
         • Threats or the use of physical violence
         • Violating the laws of the country or host institution
         • Openly abusing the customs and mores of the community
         • Damage to or destruction of other people’s property
         • Alcohol or substance abuse
         • Harassment of any kind
         • Eviction from your lodging
         • Obstruction or disruption of teaching or other Program activities
         • Unauthorized absence from classes or from the Study Center
         • Exceeding the number of unexcused absences from class allowed for the Program
         • Failure to submit a completed Study List via MyEAP by the deadline set by EAP
         • Academic misconduct (cheating, fabrication, forgery, plagiarism, or facilitating academic
     If a student is arrested for involvement in an illegal activity, the U.S. government cannot release
     the student from a foreign jail. However, a U.S. consular official will insist on prompt access
     to an arrested American, provide a list of attorneys, and information on the host country’s
     legal system.
     It is your responsibility to read and comply with all policies. Inappropriate conduct abroad is a
     direct violation of the EAP Student Agreement and can result in dismissal from EAP.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                  Student Life

     Illegal drugs
         h You are expected to read and comply with the EAP Substance Abuse Policy.
     If you are found to be in violation of this EAP policy and the Student Agreement, you may be
     subject to disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal, under applicable University policies.
     Mailing Illicit or Controlled Substances Is Illegal
     Receiving illegal substances (such as drugs or drug paraphernalia) through the mail will subject
     you to UC and host country regulations. Mail is often opened by host country customs officials
     before delivery to the recipient abroad. If you are found in possession of illegal substances,
     you may be placed under immediate arrest, face a local trial and jail term, be expelled from the
     country, or worse, depending on the local laws. You will also be dismissed immediately from
     EAP. The sender is liable to USPS and U.S. federal laws and regulations, and punishments may
     include imprisonment and hefty fines.

     Communicate regularly with on-site staff
     Take advantage of the on-site support through EAP or services at your host university, such as
     the International Office. Support staff may administer UC programs only, or they may be host
     institution staff who also assist other international students. The office itself may be a UC-only
     office, it may be a professor’s office, or it may be a host institution office used by all international
     students. Each EAP Study Center abroad is administered by a UC faculty member or a designated
     local Liaison Officer with the support of local staff.
     While abroad, the Study Center will be your first point of contact for all matters. Among other
     things, the Study Center Director and staff provide support by advising students on academic
     matters, program logistics, and personal issues; providing information on cultural activities; and
     helping with on-site emergencies. Study Center contact information is provided in your EAP
     Program Guide.

     Enter all travel plans and absences in MyEAP so EAP can reach you
     during emergencies
     See the Stay Connected section in the Safety chapter of this guide.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                               Student Life

     Gender Issues
     Be aware of potential gender issues and report any incidents to EAP
         h Check your home campus website for the most up-to-date
            UC sexual harassment policies.
     One of the most rewarding aspects of study abroad is making friends with people who have
     grown up in a different culture. In order to have a successful and safe experience, it is important
     to be aware of the cultural differences affecting gender roles. As women studying abroad
     outnumber men by about 2 to 1, it is important to realize that while some men may be harassed,
     women experience more sexual harassment and sexual assault. Learn about different gender
     role expectations and cultural norms regarding relationship roles and dating, and practice
     strategies for dealing with unwanted attention. In a cross-cultural context, communication,
     like everything else, may become more complicated. Host country people may not interpret
     everything you say the way you meant it (and vice versa). The direct way of saying certain things
     may strike some listeners as too harsh. Communication problems, especially misunderstanding
     and misinterpretation, are common frustrations that you may experience. Your own sense
     of personal boundaries (personal space around you) can have a different interpretation from
     culture to culture. Customs and personal boundaries in a new culture are not to be “assumed”
     to be known, but must be learned for your safety. Observe how host country people may stand
     closer to each other than do Americans.
     Harassing behavior is annoying at best and threatening and dangerous at worst. Eye contact
     between strangers or a smile at someone passing in the street, which is not uncommon
     in the States, may result in totally unexpected invitations. Observe the locals and be aware
     of cultural cues.
     Do not allow cultural differences to be an excuse to endure verbal or physical abuse. Depending
     on the situation, if you feel threatened, remove yourself as quickly as possible from the situation
     or appeal for help from other women or local authorities. It is important to trust your intuition
     and obey instincts that send warning signals. Decline offers that trigger some anxiety and avoid
     situations that make you nervous. Only you can determine how best to handle a situation.
     However, preparation before departure will create more options for dealing with any situation.

     Sexual orientation within the context of a foreign culture
     The Rainbow Special Interest group of NAFSA, the association of international educators,
     provides an excellent website on LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered) issues in
     relation to studying and living abroad, including extensive lists of travel guides, journals, and
     books. The site includes newsletter articles, a bibliography of LGBT texts with culturally specific
     information, and travel guides addressing LGBT issues. The site also lists related organizations
     and Internet links for students. There may also be country-specific information available at the
     Campus EAP Office.
     Before departure, it is important to reflect on the culturally based ideas and definitions of sexual
     identity. For example, does the right to be LGBT in the U.S. conflict with the host country’s
     religious or cultural values and traditions? How will you reconcile personal human rights with
     the cultural values of the host society? Consider how your identity as a LGBT person may
     affect relationships with host nationals, cultural adjustment, and the overall education abroad

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                               Student Life

     In preparing to study abroad, consider the following:
        • Become familiar with the laws of the host country. In some countries, where sexual
          orientation can be a basis for persecution under the law, personal safety considerations
          may require you to hide your sexual identity. In many parts of the world, being lesbian,
          gay, bisexual, or transgendered is not seen as a right, but as a wrong. If necessary, are you
          willing to hide your sexual orientation? Finding out about the laws of the host country,
          would you reconsider your options? You are likely to encounter a significant range of
          attitudes regarding LGBT issues while abroad.
         • Be aware that cultures vary in terms of what is considered appropriate behavior when
           interacting within their own culture and with someone from another society. Cultures
           also vary in terms of how sexual identities are defined and understood. How you respond
           will depend largely on your own cultural context. For example, in certain cultures it can
           be common to see two people of the same sex holding hands. When done by locals, this
           behavior is not always associated with a LGBT identity.
         • Reflect on what it means to leave behind a support system of friends and family. Being
           LGBT abroad has been described by some as a second coming out. How will you reestablish
           your identity abroad?
         • Learn as much as possible about the culture-specific norms of friendship and dating for
           relationships between people of any sexual orientation. Doing this research will allow you
           to understand the cultural codes and avoid embarrassing situations.
         • Know the laws pertaining to LGBT persons in your host country. This information can be
           found through the Amnesty International website. Your personal safety could be at stake.
     If you are not familiar with the legal status and the attendant cultural attitudes of sexual
     orientation in the host country, you might consider purchasing the most current edition of one
     of the various gay and lesbian international reference guides before departing from the U.S.
     Whatever your own sexual orientation, keep in mind that there may be LGBT students in the EAP
     group as well as the various groups of individuals in the host country environment. Some will be
     ‘out,’ some not, and some may just be coming to terms with their sexual identity. Sensitivity to
     this diversity within your own group and the diversity of the host culture will further enrich your
     overall EAP experience.
     Additional Resources
       • Amnesty International
         • The International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA)
         • Behind the Mask (a website magazine on lesbian and gay affairs in Africa)

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                Student Life

     Be aware of sexual harassment and report issues to EAP
     EAP is particularly concerned about students facing sexual harassment abroad. Knowing how
     to identify harassment, whether it is between you and another student, professor or teaching
     assistant, homestay family member, or dorm authority, etc., and where to report an incident
     can help to maintain a safe, harassment-free environment. Be sure to read UOEAP’s Sexual
     Harassment Policy.
     Sexual harassment may include:
         • Derogatory remarks made about clothing, body, or sexual activities based on gender
         • Disparaging remarks, jokes, and teasing based on gender
         • Visual materials or pictures that unnecessarily sexualize the environment or that you find
         • Subtle pressure for sexual activity and dates
         • Unnecessary and unwanted touching, patting, or pinching
         • Demanding sexual favors accompanied by overt threats concerning such things as your job,
           grades, letters of recommendation, etc.
         • Verbal harassment or abuse
         • Any electronic communications which include any of the above
         • Physical assault
     Harassment issues may be particularly difficult to identify abroad, where cultural norms are often
     different than those in the U.S. A fair rule of thumb is to assume that sexual harassment consists
     of any unwanted sexual advances and behavior of a verbal, visual, written, or physical nature in
     living arrangements and an educational or work environment.
     Note, however, that the U.S. description of sexual harassment may not mirror the description
     of harassment of the country in which you are studying. In such cases, you are encouraged to
     discuss these issues, if you feel comfortable, with the Study Center Director or staff to determine
     an appropriate course of action.
     Trust your judgment and intuition. If a situation makes you uncomfortable, it needs to be
     addressed. Never ignore sexual harassment. Ignoring it will not make it go away; it will most likely
     only make it worse. Both males and females can be sexually harassed, and the perpetrator can
     be male or female and of the same or opposite gender. Seek help from EAP personnel, who can
     provide counseling and advice and act on your behalf to remedy a problem.

 Back                          UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                Student Life

     If you experience sexual harassment
         • Trust what you are feeling.
         • Many people feel ashamed or humiliated because of the harassment. It is not your fault and
           you do not have to endure it.
         • Take one step at a time—it is easy to feel overwhelmed. If possible, talk to the harasser.
         • Clearly and firmly tell the harasser that you want the behavior to stop. If you can, tell the
           harasser how the behavior makes you feel.
         • Let the harasser know that you will take further action if the harassment does not stop.
         • Keep records. It is very important to write down dates, times, places, and witnesses to what
         • If you receive any notes, e-mail, or written letters from the harasser, keep them. You can
           use documented information to support a complaint.
         • Report the incident to the EAP Study Center Director and/or staff. The director can help you
           to resolve the issue and provide counseling and guidance. If you need further assistance,
           or you do not feel comfortable in dealing with the Study Center Director, contact the EAP
           Regional Director for your program. Refer to the following contact information or contact
           the EAP Title IX Sexual Harassment Officer for students, Inés DeRomaña.
         • Call or e-mail to leave a confidential message. When you establish contact, indicate that you
           are being sexually harassed and leave a phone number and a good time to return your call.
           All messages are highly confidential.
     What to Do if You Are Accused of Sexual Harassment
     If you are told that your behavior is inappropriate and/or offensive, you must immediately stop
     the behavior. People perceive certain behaviors, jokes, and gestures, etc., differently. What
     may be acceptable to you may be extremely offensive to someone else. Sometimes due to the
     difference in culture or morals you may not think your comment(s) or behavior are offensive.
     Nevertheless, you should try to understand the other person’s feelings and concerns and respect
     his or her request to stop the sexual harassment.
     For More Information
     Please refer to the UCEAP Sexual Harassment Policy.
     Contact information for EAP’s Title IX Sexual Harassment Officer:
         Inés DeRomaña
         Office phone: (805) 893-7936
         Mobile phone: (805) 451-1704
         E-mail: ideromana@eap.ucop.edu
     In addition, all UC campuses provide sexual harassment education materials online, including
     information on applicable laws, where to go for help, etc. Most UC campuses have a dedicated
     Sexual Harassment/Title IX Office and Officer whom you can contact for help as well.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                Student Life

     Cultural Immersion
     Be prepared for culture shock; it happens to everyone in varying degrees
     There are four basic phases associated with cross-cultural adjustment. To successfully adapt to
     a new culture, it helps to know what to expect from both the foreign environment and yourself.
     For details on this topic, review “Cross-Cultural Adjustment,” an article by Dan K. Smith, the
     associate director of the International Students and Scholars office at UCSB.

     Read about your country and keep up with the latest news
     Research and learn about your new host country (where to travel, transportation expenses, how
     to shop in a market, what the weather is like, how to meet locals, health and safety risks, etc.).
     There are many excellent travel guides available.
     Read about your new host country, host institution, and host city as soon as possible. Learn
     about the local culture and about the academic culture in which you are to be immersed. Most
     UC libraries have host country newspapers and periodicals. Be sure to read and absorb sections
     on these topics in your EAP Program Guide. In addition, the Internet has endless resources with
     country information.
     Your EAP Program Guide contains a recommended reading list about politics and geography,
     art, food, and culture. Be sure to review this list and read as much as you can before departure.
     Other good orientation publications include the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide series as well as
     the Survival Kit for Overseas Living: For Americans Planning to Live and Work Abroad (by L. Robert
     Kohls, 4th ed., 2001).
     EAP returnees are an excellent source of information about practical details such as the locations
     of ATMs abroad or the exact size of linens to pack. The Campus EAP Office can provide you
     with the contact information of returnees who have indicated they are willing to advise
     departing students.

     Facing racial/ethnic issues
     The extent to which you may encounter race-based prejudice in other countries depends on the
     cultural, socio-economic, and political situation of the host country, and on the education level,
     perceptions, and attitudes of individuals you may encounter abroad.
     One issue that may be surprising to many U.S. students of color is that in an international
     context, their race may be less of an issue than their nationality.
     You may discover that in some countries race is discussed more casually than it is in the U.S. In
     other countries, it may be avoided and more “taboo.” The common U.S. standard of “political
     correctness” is not universal and may not apply to your specific situation abroad.
     In dealing with issues such as race, you may wish to keep a few points in mind. First, be aware of
     your own self-image and expectations. Keep in mind that other people’s reactions may reflect
     their own curiosity about you. It is also important to keep in mind your own cultural assumptions
     when encountering new situations before reaching any conclusions. If any such incidents arise,
     speak to the UCEAP representative or the local contact at the host institution.

     Get involved in extracurricular activities when possible
     Join sports teams, music groups, or any student clubs that interest you; this is the best way to
     enjoy your time abroad and learn about the host culture.

 Back                          UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                 Student Life

     Don’t allow obstacles stop you from studying abroad
     Decide before you go that you will give the program a chance and that you will not immediately
     withdraw at the first obstacle. At some point, you will face challenges and obstacles, but
     overcoming them is possible. Discuss concerns with EAP staff to determine solutions to potential
     problems before they become unmanageable.

     Be prepared to experience reverse culture shock; you will be a different person
     After returning from EAP, the Campus EAP Office will send a letter to your permanent address
     with information about cultural reentry issues and activities (usually scheduled for the fall),
     which include gatherings and volunteering opportunities to recruit or advise future EAP
     students. You are encouraged to participate in these activities. If you do not receive the letter,
     contact the Campus EAP Office for an update.
     The following books provide excellent information about intercultural issues:
         •	 *Intercultural Communication: A Reader, Larry A. Samovar and Richard E. Porter, editors;
            Belmont: Wadsworth Pub. Co., 2003. Series title: Wadsworth series in communication
         •	 *Toward Internationalism: Readings in Cross-Cultural Communication, Louise Fiber Luce
            and Elise C. Smith, editors; Cambridge, Mass.: Newbury House Publishers, 1986.
         •	Learning Across Cultures: Intercultural Communication and International Educational
           Exchange, Gary Althen, editor; Washington, DC. Order from Publications Order Desk,
           National Association for Foreign Student Affairs (NAFSA), 1860 19th St., NW, Washington,
           DC. 20009, 1981.
         *These titles are available from Intercultural Press, Yarmouth, Maine. Intercultural Press
          also has a rich listing of books about specific cultures.

 Back              UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                            Money Matters

Money Matters
EAP Account        You can view your EAP account activity through MyEAP...
                   To receive checks and notifications, update your contact information in MyEAP...
                   EAP requires your permission to discuss your account with others ...

Budget             The EAP Student Budget outlines your program and personal expenses ...

Payments           The Payment Vouchers contain payment amounts and deadlines ...
                   Your first and second payments are due to UOEAP before departure ...
                   You have several options for making EAP payments...
                   You are responsible for paying your debts abroad...
                   An Extended Payment Plan is available...

Financial Aid      Contact your UC Financial Aid Office for scholarship/loan requirements
                   and procedures...
                   Program fee payments for financial aid students...
                   Late Payment Fees ...
                   How financial aid is disbursed on EAP...
                   See the financial aid disbursement schedule for estimated disbursement dates...
                   Learn about Federal Direct and PLUS loan disbursements ...
                   Fee waivers apply while you are on EAP...
                   Take advantage of the Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) option ...

Additional Fees    Additional fees for late payments, insufficient funds, and returned checks ...

Banking            Ask your bank about using credit and ATM cards abroad...
                   Learn about using travelers checks and exchanging money...
                   Assign your power of attorney to a responsible party...

UOEAP Student      UOEAP Student Finance Analysts can be reached at ...
Finance Contacts
 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                         Money Matters

     EAP Account
     You can view your EAP account activity through MyEAP
     Your MyEAP account is separate from your UC campus account; they are not linked. Through
     MyEAP, you can view your account activity by selecting Financial Info from the left-hand
     menu. There you may view EAP program fees, reported financial aid, payments, refunds, and
     account balance.
     Use the same login ID and password for MyEAP that you used to initially apply for EAP. If you
     have difficulty logging in or forget your login information, contact the MyEAP Helpdesk.

     To receive checks and notifications, update your contact information in MyEAP
     You must update your U.S. financial address and e-mail in MyEAP. Your disbursements are mailed
     to the financial address indicated in MyEAP (when applicable). Arrange for someone to check
     your mail at this address and deposit your disbursement checks while you are abroad. EAP will
     e-mail you a payment reminder 30 days prior to the final payment due date to the e-mail address
     you enter in MyEAP. You will not receive a paper billing statement, so check your e-mail account
     on a regular basis for notifications. If your parents/guardians or anyone else will be paying for
     your fees, forward them the payment reminder.

     EAP requires your permission to discuss your account with others
     If you want to designate someone who can discuss your financial matters with EAP, submit the
     Release of Information to a Third Party Authorization/Restriction form to EAP. By law (Family
     Educational Rights and Privacy Act), EAP staff cannot discuss your financial information with
     anyone other than you—not even your parents—without your written permission.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                            Money Matters

     The EAP Student Budget outlines your program and personal expenses
     The EAP Student Budget will help you calculate anticipated program costs so you are financially
     prepared to go abroad. It is for your reference and does not need to be mailed to UOEAP. The
     Student Budget is located in the Money Matters tab in the Participants portal. It is divided into
     two sections:
     Section 1: Program Fees
     Programs fees typically include tuition, on-site orientation, EAP participation fee, and program-
     specific fee, which are payable to UOEAP. Depending on the program, other fees such as housing
     may be included. Check the EAP Student Budget for your program to see what is included in the
     program fees.
     EAP is also required to assess Miscellaneous Campus Fees, Non-Resident Tuition, and Graduate
     Fees on behalf of your home UC campus while you are attending EAP. These fees are collected
     by UOEAP and returned to your home UC campus.
     If you are normally assessed Non-Resident Tuition while attending your home UC campus, these
     fees will be collected by UOEAP while you are on EAP and returned to your home UC campus.
     Refer to the EAP Student Budget for applicable amounts.
     Section 2: Estimated Personal Expenses
     These expenses are paid directly to the providers or host institutions (they are not collected
     by UOEAP).
     The personal expenses estimate is based on a conservative student lifestyle and is intended to
     provide a reasonable minimum estimate of personal costs associated with the term abroad.
     The estimate does not include personal travel, emergencies, personal entertainment, or major
     currency fluctuations.
     If you manage your funds diligently you should be able to provide for necessities as estimated in
     the EAP Student Budget. The EAP Student Budget costs are calculated using an exchange rate
     based on the economic forecast for the term of the program. Do your own research for the most
     up-to-date rates.

         h Changes in Fees: Fees are subject to revision without notice. The amounts shown
            in this document represent fees as currently approved. You will be notified if a
            change in fees occurs.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                            Money Matters

     The Payment Vouchers contain payment amounts and deadlines
     You can view your account balance and make a payment at any time in MyEAP. Access the EAP
     Payment Vouchers and EAP Student Budget via the Money Matters tab in the Participants portal.
     You must pay the program fees in accordance with the EAP due dates and amounts located on the
     Payment Vouchers. The number of payments and cost of participation in EAP is specific to your
     program and financial aid, which is why the final Payment Voucher does not contain an amount.
     You will receive an e-mail including the final payment amount 30 days prior to the due date.
     Your first and second payments are due to UOEAP before departure
     Due dates are located in the Payment Voucher. If payments are not received by the due date, you
     may be withdrawn from EAP. Exceptions may apply if you are on financial aid.
     If you have been selected by EAP but not placed, you still need to make your payments by the
     due dates. If you are not ultimately placed, you will be refunded within 30 days after notification.
     Only year participants will have a third payment due on December 1 for programs starting in the
     fall and on August 1 for programs starting in the spring.
     You have several options for making EAP payments
         1. Mail a check, money order, or cashier’s check. Do not send cash. Checks and money orders
            must be in U.S. dollars drawn from a U.S. bank. Make checks payable to the UC Regents
            and write your UC Campus ID number on your remittance.
              Mail payments to: Attention: Payments
                                Universitywide Office, Education Abroad Program
                                6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
                                Goleta, California 93117-5823
         2. Pay through MyEAP with e-check, MasterCard, or Discover credit cards (we do not accept
            Visa, AmEx, or bank wire). To pay online, log onto your MyEAP account, select Financial
            Info, then the Pay Online button, and follow the instructions to submit your payment.

              h If you are paying via e-check, confirm with your bank that the routing number on
                 your paper check is the one you can use for e-check transactions.

     You are responsible for paying your debts abroad
     You are responsible for paying your debts abroad. EAP is negatively impacted when a student
     fails to settle his or her debts in the host country. If you leave unpaid charges abroad, you are
     subject to disciplinary, financial, and academic penalties imposed by the University of California.
     Holds or blocks will be issued at your UC campus if you do not meet financial obligations.
     An Extended Payment Plan is available
     An Extended Payment Plan is designed to give students an opportunity to pay their EAP program
     fees over an extended period of time. There is no interest charge because the Extended
     Payment Plan is not a loan. If you owe EAP money or have a history of payment difficulty, you
     may be denied an Extended Payment Plan. If you wish to sign up for an Extended Payment Plan,
     contact EAP Student Finance.
     There is a non-refundable participation fee of $25, which will be assessed to your EAP student
     account upon enrollment in the Extended Payment Plan.
     The first payment must be at least 50 percent of the balance due. Each payment must be made
     online by the 15th of each month according to the due dates reflected on the Extended Payment
     Plan. A $50 late payment fee will be assessed for a late Extended Payment Plan payment each
     month (see Late Payment Fee in the Additional Fees section of this guide). One late payment may
     affect eligibility for future participation in the plan. Two late payments may cancel the Extended
     Payment Plan and cause ineligibility for future participation in the payment plan program.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                              Money Matters

     Financial Aid
     Contact your UC Financial Aid Office for scholarship/loan requirements
     and procedures
     EAP does not provide financial aid application forms. Contact your home UC campus Financial
     Aid Office for scholarship and loan applications, procedures, academic requirements, and
     deadlines for the following year.
     The current academic requirements for financial aid are to carry a minimum load of 36 UC
     quarter units as an undergraduate, or 24 UC quarter units as a graduate student during the
     academic year. Each UC campus or department may have additional requirements.
     Since you remain enrolled at UC while you are on EAP, you retain eligibility for financial aid.
     If you do not have the financial resources to participate in EAP, visit your UC campus Financial
     Aid Counselor in charge of EAP students. Locate the EAP counselor for your office in the UCEAP
     Campus Representatives list.
     Inform the Financial Aid Counselor that you are an EAP participant, and ensure that all the
     financial aid files and documents you submit clearly indicate your EAP status, including reference
     to the correct EAP program. The campus Financial Aid Office will determine your financial aid
     eligibility. If financial aid is granted, it is your responsibility to complete all procedures required
     by the Financial Aid Office before departure.
     File all financial forms by the early deadlines as if you were going to remain at your home
     campus. Your campus Financial Aid Office will package your financial aid according to the EAP
     Student Budget for your program.

     Program fee payments for financial aid students
     The first payment is deferred for financial aid students. When EAP receives your financial aid
     from your campus, the aid is applied to your EAP student account. If the aid does not cover the
     program cost (Section 1 of the EAP Student Budget), you will be sent a billing notice 30 days
     prior to the final due date. If you do not provide to your UC Financial Aid Office the information
     necessary for the timely completion of the financial aid process, EAP will consider you a non-
     financial aid student and you will be ineligible for the initial payment deferral. You are expected
     to be familiar with the composition and status of your financial aid package at all times, both
     before and after departure.
     If you have submitted the first payment and your financial aid exceeds the program fees, you
     will be refunded any credit in accordance with the financial aid disbursement schedule. If your
     financial aid awards exceed your EAP program fees, a UC financial aid disbursement will be
     issued approximately two weeks before the Official Start Date of the program, contingent on
     EAP having been notified of your financial aid awards.
     If your financial aid is less than the EAP program fees (indicated on the EAP Student Budget),
     you are responsible for the difference. Make payments according to the instructions on the
     EAP Payment Vouchers. Thirty days prior to the final due date, you will receive a reminder about
     the balance due in your account. EAP will send this alert to the e-mail address you entered in
     your contact information in MyEAP. Any late changes in your financial aid package may result
     in late billing. Direct any questions about financial aid packaging or repackaging to your
     Financial Aid Office.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                             Money Matters

     Late payment fees
     Your first payment is deferred, thus you will not be assessed a late payment fee for that
     If your financial aid reported to EAP by your UC campus Financial Aid Office covers the amount
     of the first and second payments, you will not be assessed a late payment fee for the second
     If your financial aid reported to EAP by your UC campus Financial Aid Office covers the amount
     of the entire student account balance, you will not be assessed a late payment fee for the final
     If your financial aid is revised, resulting in a balance due, you will be notified and will have 30
     days to pay the balance. You will be assessed a late payment fee if you do not make the payment
     by that due date.

     How financial aid is disbursed on EAP
     EAP Student Finance will distribute financial aid disbursements while you are abroad. To
     enable this, the campus Financial Aid Office must notify UOEAP in writing of the financial aid
     awarded for EAP participation. All confirmed financial aid awards, including Direct Lending, are
     credited to your EAP student account. Exceptions may include PLUS loans, graduate fellowships
     and departmental grants, and certain outside agency scholarships or loans. Unconfirmed or
     estimated financial aid awards are not credited to the account. EAP program fees are deducted
     from confirmed financial aid awards and the remaining credit balance is disbursed according to
     the financial aid disbursement schedule.
     Occasionally, receipt of financial aid disbursements can be delayed due to revisions to financial
     aid. Plan on having backup funds should delays occur. You can see when the disbursement was
     requested by reviewing your MyEAP account.

     See the financial aid disbursement schedule for estimated disbursement dates
     The first financial aid disbursement for all programs will be requested approximately two weeks
     prior to the program’s official EAP start date. Verify that your confirmed financial aid has been
     reported to EAP by logging in to MyEAP. If your aid is not reflected on your account, and it is two
     weeks prior to your departure date, contact your UC campus Financial Aid Counselor to confirm
     that your financial aid has been forwarded to EAP. Dates of disbursement are contingent upon
     the receipt of financial aid information by UOEAP.
     The disbursement request dates in the financial aid disbursement schedule are not the same as
     on your UC campus.

     Learn about Federal Direct and PLUS loan disbursements
     Federal Direct Loans
     You must complete a promissory note for loans. Your Federal Direct Loan will be credited to your
     EAP account. You will receive notification from your lender on a quarterly basis that funds have
     been disbursed to your UC campus. Your UC Financial Aid Office commits the net amount of your
     loan for the term on EAP at the beginning of the program. These funds will be applied toward
     your program fees. If there is a remaining credit balance, it will be disbursed with all other aid in
     accordance with the financial aid disbursement schedule for the program.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                            Money Matters

     Parental Loans (PLUS)
     There are varying disbursement possibilities for approved PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate
     Student) applications. EAP advises borrowers to verify with the campus the expected method
     of disbursement upon loan approval, and plan accordingly. PLUS loans can be disbursed by the
     campus Financial Aid Office directly to your parental address or applied directly to your EAP
     account. Confirm with your campus Financial Aid Counselor how these funds will be disbursed
     and the amounts. If they are being disbursed by the campus Financial Aid Office, confirm the
     disbursement dates of these funds. If the funds are being applied directly to your EAP account
     and there is a remaining credit balance, it will be disbursed with all other aid in accordance with
     the financial aid disbursement schedule for the program.

     Fee waivers apply while you are on EAP
     Veteran Benefits
     Veteran fee waivers apply to the following fees: UC registration, education, pre-ILP and ILP
     instructional, and UCEAP participation fees. All other fees will remain your
     responsibility. Submit a copy of the confirmation of benefits award letter for the current
     academic year to the UOEAP Student Finance unit. A separate letter is required for each
     academic year that you participate in EAP.
     If you have other veteran benefits, contact your UC Financial Aid Office.
     Department of Rehabilitation and Graduate Fellowship Benefits
     Have the Department of Rehabilitation or Graduate Division representative contact UOEAP
     Student Finance for coordination of payment.
     Stanford Tuition Grant
     The Stanford tuition grant will cover the following fees: UC registration, education, program-
     specific, UCEAP participation, pre-ILP and ILP instructional charges, and campus fees. Submit a
     copy of the Stanford tuition grant award letter to the UOEAP Student Finance unit. A separate
     letter is required for each academic year that you participate in EAP.
     Los Alamos Lab
     Employees of the UC Los Alamos Laboratory are charged in-state tuition fees. Submit to the
     UOEAP Student Finance unit a letter from the Human Resources department confirming
     employment and academic year of coverage.

     Take advantage of the Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) option
     If you are expecting financial aid and would like to receive your disbursement as a direct deposit
     from EAP, you must submit an EFT form to UOEAP. Since UOEAP disbursements are processed
     through a different system than your home UC campus, you must set up a separate EFT with
     UOEAP. (Disbursements will be processed through the UCLA Accounting Office.)
     Direct deposit takes approximately 30 days after the predeparture withdrawal deadline date to
     become effective and will remain in effect until you cancel it in writing. If the EFT authorization
     form has not yet been processed or declined due to incorrect account information, your
     disbursement will be issued in the form of a paper check. Your check will be mailed to the U.S.
     financial address that you input into MyEAP. Review the EFT instructions before completing the
     EFT Authorization form.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                            Money Matters

     Additional Fees
     Additional fees for late payments, insufficient funds, and returned checks
     Non-Sufficient Funds/Returned Item Fees
     If payment made by check to your EAP student account is returned by the bank for any reason,
     your account will be assessed a Non-Sufficient Funds/Returned Item fee. If a check is returned, it
     is because two attempts were unsuccessfully made to deposit it. EAP does not have control over
     the timing of these attempts.
     E-checks may also be returned. Your payment authorization may initially be accepted, yet
     returned by your bank because of non-sufficient funds in your account (NSF) or because you
     have provided incorrect routing or bank account numbers. If your payment is returned by the
     bank, your EAP student account will be assessed a Non-Sufficient Funds/Returned Item fee.
     The first time a payment is returned, the fee will be $25. If EAP receives any further returned
     items, the fee will be $35. You will be assessed this fee regardless of the amount of the check or
     the reason it was returned.
     You may be required to repay with a money order or a cashier’s check.
     Late Payment Fee
     You must pay at least the Minimum Amount Due reflected on the Payment Vouchers to avoid
     late payment penalties. For the final Payment Voucher, the total amount due is located on your
     EAP student account in MyEAP. Late payment penalties in the amount of $50 are assessed for
     each payment not received by the due date.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                           Money Matters

     Ask your bank about using credit and ATM cards abroad
     ATM cards provide a convenient way of getting cash, making deposits and transfers, and
     verifying account balances, although your current balance may not appear on foreign ATM
     receipts. Keep good records or arrange online access to monitor your bank account.
     If you do not have one already, obtain an ATM card and a personal identification number (PIN)
     from your bank. Make sure the PIN can be used abroad.
     Consider also taking at least one major credit card abroad. Credit cards are especially useful in
     medical or financial emergencies.
     Discuss with your home bank and credit card company the following:
         • Using the cards in your host country and the length of time you will be on EAP
         • PIN requirements for using ATMs in your host country (e.g., number of digits required,
           numerical restrictions, etc.)
         • Foreign banks that are affiliated with your home bank to determine the services you
           may use
         • Fees and interest accrued for transactions conducted abroad

     Learn about using travelers checks and exchanging money
     Travelers Checks
     Follow the instructions provided with the travelers checks for safe transport and cashing
     options. A passport is usually required for identification when cashing travelers checks. In some
     locations, you will have difficulty cashing travelers checks. Check your Program Guide for more
     information about the accessibility and use of travelers checks in your host country.
     Exchanging Money
     Money can be exchanged at banks, foreign exchange offices, airports, hotels, some tourist
     information centers, and sometimes at travel agencies, depending on the country.
     Banks generally offer better rates. Depending on the country, exchange rates at hotels, train
     stations, and tourist shops can be less favorable. A passport is required for exchanging money.

     Assign your power of attorney to a responsible party
     You are strongly encouraged to arrange for a relative or other responsible party to have your
     power of attorney for the time you are abroad. This arrangement requires notarization, so it
     cannot be established once you are abroad.
     The person assigned as your power of attorney can help with financial transactions. They will be
     empowered to:
         • Make deposits and withdrawals in your U.S. bank account
         • Write and sign your checks
         • Endorse, cash, and deposit checks and drafts made out to you
         • Pay your credit card and other bills
         • Arrange for international money transfers
         • Access your account statements
         • Open and close other accounts in your name
     You must make arrangements with your bank for a specific individual to have your power of
     attorney, and the accounts to be covered by the power of attorney must be specified. The
     designated individual will retain the power of attorney until you cancel it in writing.

 Back                            UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Money Matters

     UOEAP Student Finance Contacts
     UOEAP can assist you if you encounter financial problems while abroad. Contact your UC campus
     Financial Aid Office for clarification of awards or requests for additional aid.
     In a financial emergency, Study Center staff can help you to communicate with the
     Universitywide Office of EAP.

     The EAP Student Finance Analysts can be reached at
           Susan Asch-Luna, Student Finance Supervisor: saschluna@eap.ucop.edu, (805) 893-6156

         Countries Served                 Contact                    E-mail/Phone

         Brazil, Japan, Mexico,           Antonette Escarsega        aescarsega@eap.ucop.edu
         Turkey, Vietnam                                             (805) 893-4023
         Argentina, Chile, Hungary,       Diana Abrams               dabrams@eap.ucop.edu
         Philippines (on hold), Spain,                               (805) 893-2761
         Egypt, Korea, Netherlands,       Gunn Toms                  gtoms@eap.ucop.edu
         New Zealand, Singapore                                      (805) 893-4748
         Costa Rica, Hong Kong,           Janet Brown                jabrown@eap.ucop.edu
         Italy, Russia                                               (805) 893-4812
         Barbados, Denmark, France,       Justine Meyr               jmeyr@eap.ucop.edu
         Ghana, Sweden                                               (805) 893-5928
         Canada, China, India,            Pearl Chou                 pchou@eap.ucop.edu
         South Africa, Taiwan                                        (805) 893-4778
         Australia, Germany, Ireland,     Rachel Wilson              rwilson@eap.ucop.edu
         Israel, United Kingdom                                      (805) 893-5927

 Back              UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                             Insurance

Health Insurance   Carefully verify you have adequate insurance coverage...
Coverage           If you have USHIP/GSHIP coverage, you must read the following...
                   Mandatory UCEAP Insurance Plan...
                   Insurance for students traveling with dependents...
                   Gap in health insurance coverage...
                   Optional extension of the UCEAP Insurance Plan while abroad...

Travel/Other       UC student Travelers Insurance coverage...
Benefits           Personal property insurance and other benefits...

Claims and         Be prepared to pay up-front for medical services...
Payments           Insurance claims and reimbursement of medical expenses...
                   Instructions for completing a claim form...
 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                   Insurance

     Health Insurance Coverage
     Carefully verify you have adequate insurance coverage
     It is crucial that you look carefully into your health insurance coverage before, during, and after
     EAP, to ensure you are adequately covered. Medical bills can be a financial burden, especially if
     you are uninsured or underinsured.
     Share all insurance information with your parents or guardian so you can assess whether this
     coverage is adequate and how to process insurance refunds for services abroad.

     If you have USHIP/GSHIP coverage, you must read the following
     The University requires that you have major medical insurance as a condition for enrollment at
     UC and provides the Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP/GSHIP) to meet this requirement.
     Some campuses automatically enroll undergraduates in USHIP and charge a health insurance fee
     during UC registration.
     As an EAP participant, you will be covered by the mandatory UCEAP Insurance Plan, which is
     separate from SHIP, but only 14 days before the program starts and 31 days after the program
     ends. Therefore, after carefully analyzing your insurance needs, you may waive SHIP coverage
     while on EAP. Depending on your campus, you will either be automatically dropped from SHIP
     while on EAP or you will need to waive out of the SHIP to avoid being billed for the premium
     and held responsible for charges. All students will need to reapply for SHIP for the term they
     return to the UC campus. Carefully follow your UC campus SHIP procedures to prevent billing or
     insurance coverage problems.

     Mandatory UCEAP Insurance Plan
         h For detailed benefit information, refer to the UCEAP Insurance Plan brochure.
     You do not need to take any action to enroll in the UCEAP Insurance Plan and initiate coverage;
     you are automatically covered. UC pays the premium of University Of California degree-seeking
     If you are dismissed or withdraw from EAP, the coverage will be terminated 31 days after the end
     of your participation.

         h In addition to the UCEAP Insurance Plan, some countries require national health
            coverage. Additional information about national health coverage requirements will be
            provided in your EAP Program Guide or Participants program page. Individual policies
            are not available.
     The UCEAP Insurance Plan is underwritten by ACE American Insurance Company and issued
     on behalf of the University of California. Travel assistance (including medical evacuation and
     repatriation of remains), personal property insurance, lost baggage, trip cancelation, and trip
     delay are benefits provided by the UCEAP Insurance Plan. Europ Assistance USA, is the company
     ACE contracts with to provide the travel assistance services worldwide.
     UCEAP Policy Number and Insurance Card
     The UCEAP Insurance Plan policy number: ADD N04834823
     Print the Ace Insurance Card as it contains the policy number and carry it with you at all times. It
     is not an ID card.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                  Insurance

     Insurance for students traveling with dependents
     It is your responsibility to determine whether the EAP insurance coverage is adequate for your
     dependent’s medical and insurance needs.
     Under the terms of the EAP Student Agreement, all dependents abroad must be covered under
     the mandatory UCEAP Insurance Plan, which requires an enrollment form and payment of the
     corresponding premium. See the EAP Dependent Packet for details.

     Gap in health insurance coverage
          h You should not be uninsured or underinsured at any time before or after EAP.
     Before EAP Coverage Starts and Before Departure from the U.S.
     Carefully assess your EAP and U.S. health insurance plans and discuss this with your parents/
     guardians to ensure that you will not experience any coverage gaps. The EAP insurance coverage
     begins 14 days before the program starts. If you are covered by your UC campus insurance plan
     or private insurance plan while in the U.S., find out when your coverage ends and make plans to
     cover any gap that may occur before the start of your EAP health insurance. If you are unsure
     about your campus plan coverage, contact you campus Student Health Services.
     You will be affected if you are:
         • An EAP winter program participant waiting to depart after the end of the UC fall term or
           first semester.
         • A spring or year program participant who has a time gap before departure for EAP.
     Meet with the student health insurance coordinator on your UC campus. To prevent a gap in
     coverage, you may consider continuing your UC SHIP insurance while abroad.
     After EAP Coverage Ends Upon Return to the U.S.
     You can purchase gap insurance if you do not have valid or acceptable U.S. medical insurance
     coverage upon return to the U.S.
     For this coverage to apply, you must be returning for the next term as a full-time student to a UC
     If you wish to apply for gap coverage, complete the EAP Gap Health Insurance Enrollment
     form. You must send the gap premium to the address indicated on the form no later than 30
     days before departure from the U.S. For more information refer to the UCEAP Insurance Plan

     Optional extension of the UCEAP Insurance Plan while abroad
     If you are traveling outside the U.S. before or after EAP and foresee an insurance gap in coverage
     while abroad, you may choose to purchase up to three months of coverage that extends the EAP
     Insurance Plan in 30-day increments.
     You must complete the Request for Extension of Insurance Coverage. The premium must be
     paid in full and sent to the address indicated on the form at least 30 days before the end of the
     EAP term or 30 days before departure from the U.S. (if you purchase pre-program coverage). For
     more information refer to the UCEAP Insurance Plan brochure.

 Back                          UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                     Insurance

     Travel/Other Benefits
     UC student Travelers Insurance coverage
     In addition to the required UCEAP Insurance Plan, the University of California provides students
     participating in UC-sponsored and supervised off-campus activities, both domestically and
     abroad, the UC Travelers Insurance (Student Off-Campus Insurance), which is purchased by
     the University.
     There is no cost to you for this coverage. This policy provides security extraction benefits
     Coverage is provided to traveling companions. A “traveling companion” means a person or
     persons with whom the student has coordinated travel arrangements and intends to travel with
     during the covered trip.
     Why You Should Register
     Registering travel will help UC to direct assistance to you in the event of a natural disaster
     or major political event in your travel destination. It also provides important travel data that
     can assist UC in keeping or improving affordable coverage. See the UC Travelers Insurance
     Instructions for steps on how to register online.

     Personal property insurance and other benefits
     Personal property insurance is included in the UCEAP Insurance Plan. Carefully verify whether
     this is adequate coverage based on the cost of your trip and personal property, and consider
     purchasing an additional policy if it is not. For example, the UCEAP trip cancelation benefit will
     refund you up to $2,000 if your trip is interrupted due to illness, injury, and/or death only. If this is
     not sufficient, you can purchase an additional policy that will allow you to cancel for any reason
     not otherwise covered by the policy.
     Other EAP insurance benefits include:
         • Emergency Hotel Convalescence
         • Lost Baggage Benefit
         • Personal Property Benefit
         • Trip Cancelation Benefit
         • Trip Delay Benefit
     For detailed information about these benefits, refer to the UCEAP Insurance Plan brochure.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                    Insurance

     Claims and Payments
     Be prepared to pay up-front for medical services
     The UCEAP Insurance Plan works on a reimbursement basis. There is no provision for pre-
     determination of coverage.
     Many medical facilities abroad require a deposit upon admission and all require full payment
     of all bills upon the patient’s release. You are responsible for paying up-front for all medical
     treatment abroad and for submitting a claim to the EAP insurance claims administrator. The
     same holds true for any outpatient diagnostic tests and for physicians’ services.
     There is no deductible. The plan pays 100% of usual and customary charges for the first $1,000;
     80% of the next $4,000; and 100% thereafter up to $500,000.

     Insurance claims and reimbursement of medical expenses
     If you are hospitalized or require outpatient medical care, pay by credit card or cash for services
     and save all your receipts. To get reimbursed for these expenses, you must submit a claim to
     Administrative Concepts, Inc. (ACI), as instructed on the ACE insurance claim form.
     Keep copies of all claim documents you submit for your own records; this will protect you if
     the claim gets lost. The claim processing time is about six weeks after receipt of the claim. A
     reimbursement check will be mailed to your permanent home address in the U.S. unless you
     request otherwise.

     Instructions for completing a claim form

          h If you do not follow the claim instructions or include the correct supporting documents,
             payment may be delayed or denied.
         • Print the ACE insurance claim form
         • Complete Parts I and II
         • All information must be printed
         • Be sure to sign the bottom of the first page
         • Attach itemized bills to your correctly completed claim form
         • Send the form to Administrative Concepts, Inc. within 30 days of the accident or sickness
           (address is on the claim form)

 Back            UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                    Health

EAP Health       The EAP Health Clearance is a requirement for participation...
Requirements     Some countries require an online travel health education certification course...

Prevention       Planning and awareness will decrease health risks while traveling...
                 Pay attention to your health and protect against illness...
                 Coping with preexisting medical conditions...
                 Identify medical services and resources abroad...
                 Know what to do during a health emergency...
                 Seek medical attention after your return if necessary...

Health Risks:    Influenza (flu) vaccine...
General          Sexually transmitted diseases...
Considerations   HIV/AIDS...
                 Abuse of alcohol and other drugs...

Medication and   Make sure your medications are legal abroad ...
Supplies         Obtain an adequate supply of medications...
                 Tips for traveling with medication...
                 Mailing medication abroad...
                 Filling a U.S. prescription abroad...
                 Anti-Anxiety and anti-depression medicine...
                 Prescription eyeware...
                 Information for students with diabetes...
                 Sample first-aid kit...

Psychological    Discuss and disclose health conditions before departure...
Health           Types of psychological disorders...
                 References and resources...
 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                        Health

     EAP Health Requirements
     The EAP Health Clearance is a requirement for participation
     During the health clearance, you will discuss your medical history and current health status with
     a health practitioner. It is critical to tell the doctor about past illnesses and surgeries, chronic
     health problems, or other underlying medical conditions.
     You may be cleared as long as, in the opinion of the examining health practitioner, any
     medication you may have is under control and you have been stable on your medication for a
     reasonable period of time.
     Failure to complete the health clearance will result in withdrawal from EAP. It is your
     responsibility to ensure this form reaches the Universitywide Office of EAP (UOEAP) by the
     established deadline.

     Some countries require an online travel health education certification course
     Most travelers are unaware or unprepared for the health-related risks of international travel.
     The EAP online travel health education course is designed to increase your health awareness,
     help you with the prevention of illness, and promote healthier travel. However, this course does
     not replace an in-person appointment with a travel health provider for necessary medications
     and immunizations. It is critical to consider vaccine-preventable diseases that may be easily
     contracted during travel, especially if you have a preexisting medical condition.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                         Health

     Planning and awareness will decrease health risks while traveling
     Learn about the health risks related to your trip by going to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control
     and Prevention Destinations page and choosing the country or countries you will be visiting.
     Check for “Travel Notices in Effect” for your destination.
     Discuss your travel plans with the health professional who conducts your EAP Health Clearance,
     and inform him or her about any physical or psychological condition that may increase your
     health risk.
     International travel can pose various risks to health, depending on the destination and the
     traveler. You may encounter sudden and significant changes in altitude, air pollution, humidity,
     microbes, and temperatures, which can result in illness. In addition, serious health risks may arise
     in areas where accommodation is of poor quality, hygiene and sanitation are inadequate, medical
     services are not well developed, and clean water is scarce. Get informed about the potential
     hazards in the countries where you will be traveling and learn how to minimize the risk of getting
     sick or contracting diseases.
     Forward planning, appropriate preventive measures, and careful precautions can substantially
     reduce the risks of adverse health consequences.

     Pay attention to your health and protect against illness
     Gastrointestinal disorders, sore throats, and colds often occur more frequently in a foreign
     country than at home, particularly soon after arrival. This is due to exposure to a new climate,
     environment, diet and water, and personal habits.
     Even with good travel advice, vaccines, and medications, you are not 100 percent protected
     against all diseases or injuries. Healthy personal behaviors, such as being careful about food
     and water, protecting against insect and mosquito bites, and washing hands frequently, are
     important ways to prevent many common travel illnesses.

     Coping with preexisting medical conditions
     Living and studying in a foreign environment may cause unexpected physical and emotional
     stress, which can exacerbate otherwise mild disorders. You must be able to adjust to potentially
     dramatic changes in climate, diet, living, and study conditions that may seriously disrupt
     accustomed patterns of behavior.
     If your immune system is weakened from a disease such as HIV/AIDS or certain cancers, or from
     chemotherapy or medicines, talk to your doctor about your travel plans in detail. There may be
     added risks related to travel. If you get sick while traveling, your illness may be more severe or
     you may have added complications to your existing condition. EAP countries where hygiene and
     sanitation, medical care, and water quality are of a high standard pose relatively few serious risks
     for your health. In contrast, EAP countries where hygiene, sanitation, and medical services are
     below standards, and clean water is unavailable may pose serious health risks; therefore, it is
     important to follow health precautions before, during, and after the journey.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                    Health

     Identify medical services and resources abroad
     Take steps to anticipate any health issues that could arise during your stay abroad.
     Identify host country health care resources in advance of your trip in case of a medical
     emergency. This is especially important if you have a preexisting medical condition. Information
     about local medical care may be provided after arrival during your EAP on-site orientation.

     Know what to do during a health emergency
     You never know when and where an emergency will occur. It is important to keep contact
     information (phone numbers and addresses) of services you may need and/or people you need
     to contact.
     Contact the Study Center staff if you are not feeling well.

     Seek medical attention after your return if necessary
     If you are not feeling well or have been injured after your return to the U.S. from EAP, seek
     medical attention, including psychological support and counseling, if necessary.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                      Health

     Health Risks: General Considerations
     Influenza (flu) vaccine
     UOEAP strongly encourages a flu vaccine before departure, particularly if you have a chronic
     medical condition (e.g., asthma, diabetes). Influenza is one of the most common ailments
     reported by EAP students.

     Sexually transmitted diseases
     Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections that are spread primarily through person-to-
     person sexual contact. There are more than 30 different sexually transmissible bacteria, viruses,
     and parasites. The most common conditions they cause are gonorrhea, chlamydial infection,
     syphilis, trichomoniasis, chancroid, genital herpes, genital warts, human immunodeficiency virus
     (HIV) infection, and hepatitis B infection. STDs are the main preventable cause of infertility,
     particularly in women. Many countries have been unsuccessful in adequately controlling STDs.
     Lack of adequate precaution (e.g., engaging in unprotected sex) in situations where there is a
     risk of contracting a sexually transmitted disease could lead to serious problems.
     The surest way to avoid transmission of STDs is to abstain from sexual contact. In addition,
     consistent and correct use of latex male condoms can reduce the risk of STDs.
     Access the CDC Sexually Transmitted Diseases website for more information.

 Back                          UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                         Health

     AIDS is a chronic, life-threatening condition caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
     By damaging your immune system, HIV interferes with your body’s ability to fight off viruses,
     bacteria and fungi that cause disease. HIV makes you more susceptible to certain types of
     cancers and to infections your body would normally resist, such as pneumonia and meningitis.
     The virus and the infection itself are known as HIV. “Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome”
     (AIDS) is the name given to the later stages of an HIV infection. The infection occurs worldwide.
     How HIV Is Transmitted
     The ways in which HIV can be transmitted have been clearly identified, as follows: 1) sex, 2)
     infected blood, 3) needle sharing, 4) accidental needle sticks, 5) mother to child, and in rare
     cases, 6) through organ or tissue transplants or unsterilized dental or surgical equipment.
     To become infected with HIV, infected blood, semen, vaginal secretions, or breast milk must
     enter your body. One cannot become infected through ordinary contact (e.g., hugging, kissing,
     dancing, or shaking hands) with someone who has HIV or AIDS.
     HIV/AIDS Prevention
     There is no vaccine to prevent HIV infection and no cure for AIDS, but it is possible to protect
     yourself and others from infection by educating yourself about HIV and avoiding any behavior
     that allows HIV-infected fluids into your body. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control
     and Prevention, the most reliable ways to avoid becoming infected with or transmitting HIV are:
         • Abstain from sexual intercourse (i.e., oral, vaginal, or anal sex). All partners should get
           tested for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) before initiating sexual
           intercourse. Having another STD increases by two to five times the likelihood a person will
           become infected with HIV and increases the likelihood an infected person will transmit HIV.
         • If you choose to have sexual intercourse, practice safe sex. The proper and consistent use
           of latex or polyurethane (a type of plastic) condoms when engaging in sexual intercourse
           can greatly reduce a person’s risk of acquiring or transmitting sexually transmitted diseases.
         • Do not use or allow the use of contaminated, unsterilized syringes or needles for any
           purpose (drugs, electrolysis, tattooing, acupuncture, medical or dental procedures,
           etc.). Needles for blood tests or injections must be sterile, preferably disposable, and
           pre-packaged in a sealed container. If an injection is required, make sure the needles and
           syringes come straight from a sealed, sterilized package, or have been sterilized with
           chemicals or boiled for 20 minutes. If in doubt, ask how the equipment has been sterilized.
           In some countries you can buy needles and syringes and take them to the hospital for your
           own use. Caution regarding instrument sterilization applies to all instruments that pierce
           the skin, including needles used for tattoos. If you are diabetic or require routine injections,
           bring a supply of syringes and needles sufficient for your entire stay abroad.
         • Beware of infected blood, blood components, or locally-produced blood clotting factor
           concentrates and other blood products. Not all countries have mandatory HIV screening
           of donated blood. In some locales, ascertaining the availability of HIV-screened blood and
           blood products may be difficult. Not all countries have the resources to sterilize needles, and
           some countries reuse even disposable equipment. You can inquire at the local U.S. embassy,
           U.S. consulate, or Red Cross office about safe sources of blood. If an injury occurs and a
           blood transfusion is needed, the blood needs to be tested for HIV antibodies by trained
           laboratory technicians. Do not assume that blood you will receive has been screened.
     If you are injured or become ill while abroad, consider delaying any procedures that may involve
     a blood transfusion unless it is absolutely necessary.

 Back                           UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                    Health

     Abuse of alcohol and other drugs
     Many students experiment with alcohol and other drugs when they are away from home,
     particularly when they are in a foreign country where they may be of legal drinking age.
     Substance abuse may result in serious health problems or even sudden death, which in the case
     of some drugs (e.g., cocaine) can occur after first-time use. In addition, students may face legal
     consequences for behavior they exhibit while under the influence of alcohol or other substances
     (e.g., arrest, fines, etc.).
     Alcohol is the “drug of choice” in college. For some students, use of alcohol and other drugs is
     minimal or moderate, and may not cause them or others significant concern. However, a certain
     percentage of students study abroad with an existing alcohol or drug abuse problem. A widely
     agreed-upon definition of alcohol or drug abuse is when a person’s use interferes with his or her
     physical, social, or economic functioning.
     Alcohol is classified as a depressant because it slows down the central nervous system, causing
     a decrease in motor coordination, reaction time, and intellectual performance. At high doses,
     the respiratory system slows down drastically and can cause a coma or death. Acute alcohol
     poisoning is when more alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream reaching a toxic level.
     How to identify alcohol poisoning:
       • Person is asleep and cannot be awakened
         • Breathing is slow or irregular
         • Skin/lips are cold, clammy, pale, or bluish
         • Vomiting while passed out
     How to help:
       • Trust your instincts!
         • Turn the person on their side to prevent choking while vomiting.
         • Stay with the person. Do not leave them alone or let them “sleep it off.”
         • Call the local emergency number, the UCEAP representative, and/or a hospital immediately.
           Do not hesitate to call for help.
         • Stay calm.
     Alcohol myths:
     Myth: I can drink and still be in control.
     Fact: Drinking impairs your judgment, which increases the likelihood that you will do something
     you will later regret such as having unprotected sex, date rape, damaging property, or being
     victimized by others.
     Myth: I can sober up quickly if I have to.
     Fact: It takes 2–3 hours to eliminate the alcohol content of two drinks, depending on your
     weight. Nothing can speed up this process—not even coffee or a cold shower.
     Myth: I’d be better off if I learn to “hold my liquor.”
     Fact: If you have to drink increasingly larger amounts of alcohol to get a buzz or get high, you
     are developing tolerance. This increases your vulnerability to many serious problems, including
     Myth: Beer and wine do not have as much alcohol as hard liquor.
     Fact: A 12-ounce bottle of beer in the U.S. has the same amount of alcohol as a standard shot of
     80-proof liquor (either straight or in a mixed drink) or 5 ounces of wine. The alcohol content of
     beer varies by local practice or beer style.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                      Health

     Medication and Supplies
     Make sure your medications are legal abroad
     Some medications that are commonly prescribed or sold in the U.S. may be considered illegal
     substances in other countries or may contain controlled substances.
     Check before departure in case you need to obtain a permit. In particular, some medications for
     ADD/ADHD may require significant research and licensing before being allowed into a country.
     Be aware that some FDA-approved medications have the same brand names as medications
     that are marketed outside the U.S. but contain completely different active ingredients. No
     international regulatory system exists to ensure that new brand names are sufficiently different
     from existing ones elsewhere in the world to prevent undue confusion by pharmacists who are
     filling prescriptions from outside their country.

     Obtain an adequate supply of medications
     Find out if your medication is available abroad to ensure that you have an adequate supply of it
     while on the program.
     Europ Assistance offers support with prescription replacements and refills. EA can answer
     questions regarding prescription drug status abroad only to the extent that their resources in
     the specific country will allow them. Call (866) 451-7606 (inside the U.S.) or call collect (202)
     828-5896 (from outside the U.S.). You can also call the country’s Consul General Office for

     Tips for traveling with medication
     Keep medications in their original, labeled containers (rather than transferring them to travel
     containers). Take a copy of your prescription with the names of the active ingredients (including
     brand and generic names) and a letter from your physician with your diagnosis, prescribed
     medications, and required dosage.
     Pack your medication in your carry-on luggage, since checked baggage can be lost. The
     Transportation Security Administration (TSA) allows prescription medications in quantities
     exceeding three ounces and the medications are not required to be in a zip-top bag. Declare
     these items for inspection at checkpoints.
     Carry a medication/emergency card with your name, drug allergies, the name and contact
     information of your physician, exact names of the medications that you are currently taking, and
     an emergency contact.

         h Due to strict customs regulations, some countries may limit the amount of a particular
            prescription medication that you can transport into and out of the host country. It
            is important to check with the host country’s embassy or foreign service office in
            Washington, DC about restrictions.

     Mailing medication abroad
     Many countries have strict regulations (high customs duties), restrictions, or prohibition
     (medication confiscated) on having medications sent by mail, as not all U.S. medications are legal
     in other countries.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                       Health

     Filling a U.S. prescription abroad
     If you need to fill a prescription abroad, be aware that the FDA (U.S. Federal Drug
     Administration) warns that medications abroad may contain different active ingredients, even
     though many of them are marketed under the same or similar-sounding brand names as in the
     U.S. The FDA also cautions that taking a drug containing a different active ingredient may not
     help your medical condition and could even be harmful. Sometimes a drug that has the same
     name may not be prescribed for the same illness as in the U.S.
     According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), virtually any drug,
     including antibiotics and antimalarial medications, can be purchased without prescription
     in many developing countries. Do not buy these medications unless you are familiar with
     the product. The quality of these drugs may not meet U.S. standards and they may even
     be counterfeit or potentially hazardous because of contaminants. In fact, 36 percent of
     antimalarials abroad are counterfeit.

         h Before returning to the U.S., be aware that medications purchased abroad may not be
            FDA-approved or allowed into the U.S.

     If you need contraception while abroad, it is best to bring supplies with you. Each country has a
     different policy regarding availability and dispensing of contraception.

     Anti-Anxiety and anti-depression medicine
     One of the most common concerns that people have about medication is the question of how
     long they need to take it. Most antidepressants take from one to three weeks before changes
     begin to occur. Some symptoms subside early in treatment, while others take longer to treat.
     While it often is tempting to stop taking the medication when you feel better, it is important to
     continue until you and your doctor agree your condition is treated.
     Never abruptly discontinue your medication. Compliance with prescribed medication regimens
     is important. Stopping the medication early—without consulting a doctor—can result in the
     return of your original symptoms or adverse reactions. For example, discontinuation effects
     are common after withdrawal of MAOIs and may include disorientation, confusion, agitation,
     cognitive impairment, catatonia, paranoid delusions, aggressiveness, hallucinations, depression,
     thoughts of suicide, slowed speech, and sleep disturbance. Researchers have found that
     suddenly stopping treatment with antidepressants known as SSRIs can cause serious withdrawal
     effects, both physically and psychologically. A physician may recommend gradually decreasing
     or tapering off the medication. Tapering off is particularly important with some medications
     to give your body an adjustment period. According to the National Institute of Mental Health,
     discontinuing anxiety and depression medication too early may produce a relapse.

     Prescription eyeware
     If you wear glasses or contact lenses, take an extra pair and your written prescription abroad.
     Take sufficient quantities of contact lens solution, since it may not be readily available or the
     product name may not be the same as in the U.S. For example, Optifree Express is called Optifree
     Multiaction Solution in Europe, and Renu is called All Care solution in China; the formulation may
     be different or you may be allergic to the ingredients. The manufacturer may not sell their entire
     line of products in certain countries. Also, in some countries you may need to see an optometrist,
     optician, or ophthalmologist to get contact lens solutions because they are considered drugs.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                        Health

     Information for students with diabetes
     The American Diabetes Association recommends that persons with diabetes or other persons
     who require routine or frequent injections should carry a supply of unused syringes and needles,
     when accompanied by insulin or other injectable medication, sufficient to last their stay abroad.
     Pack a good supply of syringes; not all sizes are available abroad. However, be aware that
     carrying needles and syringes without a prescription may be illegal in some countries. Carry
     a letter from your physician indicating that the needles and syringes are necessary for your
     physical well-being.
     These items are not covered by EAP insurance.

         h Note that TSA requires that insulin in any form, and a dispenser, must be
            properly marked with a professionally printed label identifying the medication or
            manufacturer’s name or pharmaceutical label.

     Sample first-aid kit
     A medical kit should be carried for all destinations, especially for those where there may be
     significant health risks, such as developing countries and locations where the immediate
     availability of specific medications is uncertain). You are advised to take a personal first-aid kit
     that includes treatment for minor cuts and abrasions and something for temporary diarrhea.
     Obtain advice from your physician on assembling a suitable medical kit and visit the CDC website
     for a list of recommended items.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                        Health

     Psychological Health
     Discuss and disclose health conditions before departure
     Study abroad can be a personally rewarding and culturally expanding experience, but it can also
     be somewhat stressful. Many college-age students experience anxiety, depression, stress, and
     other mental health conditions. In addition, existing mild physical or psychological disorders can
     be aggravated by the stresses of travel and life in an unfamiliar setting.
     You are responsible for assessing (along with your parent/guardian and physician) any physical
     or mental health conditions that may be adversely affected by studying abroad; there are certain
     conditions that may require continued therapy, monitoring, or specific support mechanisms
     while abroad.
     If you disclose such conditions in advance of participation, EAP can help you to arrange
     appropriate accommodations abroad (if they are available).

     Types of psychological disorders
     There are many different conditions that are recognized as psychological health disorders.
     Common disorders are discussed in this section.
     Anxiety Disorders
     Anxiety is a vague, uncomfortable feeling of fear, dread, or danger. Symptoms can vary in
     severity and length. According to the Anxiety Disorders Association of America, the term
     “anxiety disorder” refers to: 1) generalized anxiety disorder (GAD); 2) obsessive-compulsive
     disorder (OCD); 3) panic disorder; 4) post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); 5) social anxiety
     disorder (also called social phobia); and 6) specific phobias.
     The most important goal for students who are prone to anxiety is to keep stress levels as low
     as possible.
     Mood Disorders
     These disorders, also called affective disorders, involve persistent feelings of sadness or periods
     of feeling overly happy, or fluctuations from extreme happiness to extreme sadness. The most
     common mood disorders are depression, mania, and bipolar disorder.
     Psychotic Disorders
     Psychotic disorders involve distorted awareness and thinking. Two of the most common
     symptoms of psychotic disorders are hallucinations—the experience of images or sounds that
     are not real, such as hearing voices—and delusions, false beliefs that the ill person accepts as
     true, despite evidence to the contrary. Schizophrenia is an example of a psychotic disorder.
     Eating Disorders
     Eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia, and compulsive eating disorder include extreme
     emotions, attitudes, and behaviors surrounding weight and food. While eating disorders may
     begin with preoccupations with food and weight, they are most often about much more than
     food. Eating disorders arise from a variety of physical, emotional, social, and familial issues,
     all of which need to be addressed for effective prevention and treatment. Eating disorders
     are real, complex, and devastating conditions that can have serious consequences on health,
     productivity, and relationships. Eating disorders can lead to significant physiological changes
     that require medical treatment in addition to psychiatric treatment.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                        Health

     Impulse Control and Addiction Disorders
     People with impulse control disorders are unable to resist urges or impulses to perform acts that
     could be harmful to themselves or others. Pyromania (starting fires), kleptomania (stealing), and
     compulsive gambling are examples of impulse control disorders. Alcohol and drugs are common
     objects of addiction. Often, people with these disorders become so involved with the objects of
     their addiction that they begin to ignore responsibilities and relationships.
     Personality Disorders
     People with personality disorders have extreme and inflexible personality traits that are
     distressing to the person and cause problems in work, school, or social relationships. In addition,
     the person’s patterns of thinking and behavior significantly differ from the expectations of
     society and are so rigid that they interfere with the person’s ability to function effectively.
     Examples include antisocial personality disorder (breaking laws, lying to or conning others
     for fun or for personal benefit, being impulsive and not considering the consequences of
     the behavior, bullying other people or getting in fights, ignoring the safety of self or others);
     obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (common obsessive thoughts include themes of
     violence, fear of germs and infection, and doubts about one’s character and behavior); and
     paranoid personality disorder (pervasive distrust and suspicion of others such that their motives
     are interpreted as malevolent).

 Back                           UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                                 Health

     References and resources
     The following are UC offices of counseling and psychological services:
         UC Berkeley                                       UC Riverside
         Counseling and Psychological Services             Counseling Center
         2222 Bancroft Way                                 Veitch Student Center
         (510) 642-9494                                    North Wing
         TTY/TDD: (510) 642-2368                           (951) 827-5531
         UC Davis                                          UC San Diego
         Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)      Psychological and Counseling Services
         219 North Hall                                    (P&CS)
         (530) 752-0871                                    Galbraith Hall, Room 190
         UC Irvine                                         (858) 534-3758
         Counseling Center                                UC Santa Barbara
         Room 202 Student Services I                      Counseling Services
         (949) 824-4642                                   (805) 893-4411
         UC Los Angeles                                    UC Santa Cruz
         John Wooden Center West                           Counseling and Psychological Services
         221 Westwood Plaza                                1156 High Street
         (310) 825-0768                                    (831) 459-2628
         UC Merced
         Counseling Services
         Kolligian Library, First floor
         West Wing
         (209) 724-4266

     There are many valuable websites that address mental health topics and issues. Below are some
     useful resources for additional information about mental health.
         • American Academy of Counseling Psychology
         • American Psychological Association (APA)
         • The Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA)
         • Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
         • National Eating Disorders Association
         • The JED Foundation
         • Mental Help Net
         • National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
         • Mental Health America (MHA)
         • Outside the Classroom
         • ULifeline (free, anonymous website that links you to your college counseling center and a
           library of mental health information)

 Back            UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011               Students with Disabilities

Students with Disabilities
 Predeparture    Advance planning is a key to success...
 Preparation     Communicate early and clearly with UC...
                 Be flexible; accommodations differ around the world...
                 Submit critical documentation...
                 Know how you will pay for accommodations...
                 Questions to ask as you prepare for EAP...
                 Public transportation in the EAP host country...
                 Resources to help you plan for EAP...

 Once Abroad     If you decide not to disclose your accommodation needs in advance...
                 Know who to contact if accommodations are not working while abroad...
                 Take ownership of your disability...
                 Allow yourself to accept assistance from others...
 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                 Students with Disabilities

     Predeparture Preparation
     Advance planning is a key to success
     It takes time to communicate with staff abroad and determine if requested accommodations are
     feasible; therefore, it is imperative for you to plan ahead. Lack of adequate advance notice of
     special requirements may cause you unnecessary problems; the Study Center or host institution
     may be unable to give timely consideration to your needs. Ask key questions about the EAP
     host country; for example, does weather have an effect on your disability? (If you have multiple
     sclerosis, it might.)

     Communicate early and clearly with UC
         h U.S. law protects your right to choose whether or not you wish to disclose a disability.
            However, you must disclose and document your disability to receive disability-related
            accommodations. If you choose to disclose, your Campus EAP Advisor will be able to
            work with you and your specific accommodation needs.
     Students with disabilities can and do study abroad; you are encouraged to explore your options
     in advance with your Campus EAP Office, and the Universitywide Office of EAP. Disclosing up
     front allows you to fully communicate what you need, provide accurate explanations about your
     disability, if necessary, and make plans that will support your success abroad.
     Strive for clear communication with EAP staff regarding what accommodation, if any, you may
     require while on EAP. To avoid miscommunications and assumptions, it may be necessary to
     provide EAP staff with information specific to your disability and any accommodations required.
     If you are not expecting to use accommodations abroad, it is still important to make potential
     needs known so that a plan is in place should an unexpected problem arise.
     Although EAP cannot guarantee the accessibility of study sites, we can advise you if one of your
     preferred sites appears to be accessible or recommend an alternate site.
     EAP can provide information about approximate costs at various EAP sites so you can budget to
     pay for these costs.
     To assess your needs and determine what modifications might be possible, you must work with
     your UC campus disability office specialist, the Campus EAP Office, and the Operations Specialist
     at the Universitywide Office of EAP.
     About Confidentiality
     Once you disclose a disability, EAP will only share information about the condition (if provided)
     and accommodations requested with those who need to know (campus EAP staff, UOEAP staff,
     and Study Center staff, etc.).

     Be flexible; accommodations differ around the world
     Study abroad requires adaptability for people with and without disabilities. Living in a new
     culture will bring new challenges, including disability services and accessibility standards that
     might differ significantly from what you are used to in the U.S.
     Many disability services that are provided at UC campuses may not be available abroad. EAP
     cannot guarantee that facilities and/or support services will be available at each location abroad
     in the same range and quality as on a UC campus. A valuable resource for information are EAP
     returnees who can outline potential challenges and adventures at a host country. Also, visit the
     National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange (NCDE), sponsored by the U.S. Department of
     State and administered by Mobility International USA.

 Back                          UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                 Students with Disabilities

     As you plan for study abroad, consider the following details:
         • Privacy and discrimination protections available abroad depend on the laws of the host
         • Tutoring may not be a free service at the host university.
         • Notetakers may not be available, or may be very expensive. Using a recording device
           abroad is often the best solution.
         • You need to budget for any costs associated with accommodations abroad.
         • Some countries require detailed health information before issuing visas, which can delay
           the process.
         • Electricity for equipment or recharging batteries may require adapters.
         • Views on disability, independence, confidentiality, respect for authority, and individual
           rights differ from country to country, and these views will definitely affect your experience.
           Learning disabilities may not be recognized in some countries; be prepared for the fact that
           a disability may be culturally defined.
         • Treatment for some behavior disorders (ADD, ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome, etc.) may differ.
         • Sign language interpreters may not be certified or available at all times, and interpreting will
           generally be in the sign language of the country rather than ASL.
         • Some countries quarantine guide dogs before they are allowed into the country.
         • Bring mobility aids to use in restrooms without bars or on long train platforms. Safety bars
           and shower chairs may also be uncommon.
         • In some countries the standard width of a wheelchair is narrower than U.S. standards,
           and non-folding wheelchairs and power chairs are extremely rare. The standard width of
           corridors varies in different countries and not all buildings are accessible.
         • Carry extra spare parts or differing types of casters for a wheelchair.
         • In some countries, assistive technology may be used more, while in others you may need to
           rely on human resources.
         • Read about disability laws in the host country, talk to someone with a disability similar to
           yours, and consider geography, climate, and culture when considering how accessible the
           country is.

     Submit critical documentation
     At your request, the Disabled Student’s Office will write a letter documenting your disability
     and/or accommodation needs. The letter will be sent to the UCEAP Study Center via the UC
     Universitywide Office of EAP. Special accommodations cannot be researched or obtained
     without this letter. Keep a copy of this letter for your records.
     Bring a copy of your medical documentation abroad, including prescription information. Leave a
     copy with your parent or guardian in the event that your copy is lost or damaged.

 Back                              UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                            Students with Disabilities

     Know how you will pay for accommodations
     EAP is part of the University of California and is bound by all laws that affect the University of California. The
     Office of Civil Rights has opined that Section 504 and Title II do not apply extra-territorially. In addition, the State
     of California does not mandate that the University of California fund disability accommodations for
     students who study outside the U.S. You must be aware that:
         • Federal and state laws do not require UC to provide funding for accommodations and/or
           facilities beyond U.S. borders.
         • It is your responsibility to assure that any funding you require for special services abroad is
           arranged well in advance.
         • You are responsible to finance accommodations abroad. If you receive funding from the
           Department of Rehabilitation, have the Rehabilitation Representative contact your EAP
           Student Finance Analyst in order to process your payments.
         • If you disclose needs at the last minute or require accommodations that are unavailable in
           the host country, you may be advised to postpone participation.

     Questions to ask as you prepare for EAP
     Processing Disabilities (LD, ADHD, Psychological, Brain injuries)
       • Will you need note takers for class?
         • What are the partner institution’s policies on extended exam time?
         • Is the partner institution willing to authorize your usual test accommodations based on
           American medical documentation?
         • What tutoring services might be available and at what cost?
         • If you need to see a doctor or therapist for psychological concerns while abroad, have you
           established this contact prior to departure?
         • Have you considered bringing a personal recording device for lectures? Do you have
           permission to record lectures?
         • Are books available on tape or CD?
         • Who will fund any special accommodations?
     Chronic Systemic Disorders
       • If you have respiratory problems or severe allergies, what is the air and environmental
         quality in the city you are considering?
         • If your condition is affected by temperatures, what is the climate in your prospective
           host city?
         • What prior notification has been given to the instructors regarding potential absences
           should your condition flare up unexpectedly?
         • Will you need extended time on assignments?
         • If you normally receive test accommodations, do you have authorization through the partner
           institution to receive the same accommodations there?
         • What special dietary considerations might you have?
         • If there are extra expenses associated with special accommodations, how will you pay
           for them?

 Back                       UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011               Students with Disabilities

     Deaf or Hard of Hearing
       • Will you need an interpreter or Realtime Captioning? Who will fund this accommodation?
       • Where/how will the interpreter be hired?
       • What is the hourly rate for interpreters in the host country? (Note that interpreter costs
         vary widely by country and even within the same country.)
       • Does the interpreter know American Sign Language? Sign language is not universal and may
         differ between countries that have the same spoken language. Find out the differences
         before leaving. It may be possible to depart early to learn the new sign language.
       • If you are taking a personal FM system, can you obtain batteries in your host country that
         work for your device?
       • Who will notify your instructor of the need to wear the FM microphone?
       • Will you need a note taker?
       • Are captioned videos available?
       • How will you pay for accommodations?
     Mobility/Orthopedic Disabilities
      • Will you take one or two wheelchairs? Electric or manual?
      • Do you need a transformer? Is the voltage in your host country compatible with
        your transformer?
      • How will you ship your chair abroad?
      • Where can your chair be repaired abroad?
      • Do you need to make additional arrangements to get from the airport to the orientation
        site or to your partner institution?
      • Are the streets and/or sidewalks paved or cobblestone? Are there curb cuts for
        wheelchair access?
      • What is the accessibility of the partner institution and city (elevators, bathrooms,
        classrooms, housing, transportation, etc.)?
      • Is voice recognition software available?
      • Will you need note takers, scribes, or transcribers?
      • What kind of field trips might your program go on? Are they accessible?
      • Are lab or library assistants available in your host country?
      • Do you need extended time on assignments or exams?
      • How will you pay for accommodations?
     Visual Impairments
        • Have you contacted the consulate of your host country to determine if you will need to put
          your guide dog in quarantine?
        • Will special housing or food arrangements be necessary for your dog? Is your dog allowed
          into the classroom?
        • Are alternate formats (books on tape, Braille, e-text, scanning, CCTV, etc.) available?
        • Will you need a mobility assistant to help you?
        • Have you obtained maps of your host city and enlarged them to become familiar with
          directions before departure?
        • What kind of test accommodations will you need?
        • Is there Braille signage on buildings, elevators, classroom, ATMs, etc.?
        • Will you have access to computer software in order to write papers or read assignments?
        • How will you pay for accommodations?

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                  Students with Disabilities

     Housing and Living Situations
       • What options are available through the program(s)? Is it possible to get a single room? A
         first-floor room?
       • Are the room dimensions physically accessible to individual needs?
       • What are the sleeping arrangements like?
       • Are there accessible bathroom and shower facilities within any of the housing options? If
         not, how can EAP address these accessibility issues?
     Auxiliary Aids or Assistive Devices
       • Are replacement parts for auxiliary aids going to be readily available in the event
         damage occurs?
       • Is there access to agencies or professionals who can repair auxiliary aids, if necessary?
     Psychological Disabilities
       • What could you expect living in a different country?
       • How would you get a three months supply of medication? Have a plan in place for
         medication management and medical care needs while abroad.
       • Are there restrictions on what type of prescriptions you could take into your EAP country?
       • What if your symptoms flare up while on EAP and you need help?

     Public transportation in the EAP host country
     It is imperative to find out, in advance of participation, if there are any accessible transportation
     resources or community support within a host country. Not all forms of transportation may be
     accessible within your EAP host country.
     Know whether you will need travel accommodations during travels within the city as well as
     between destinations.
     Budget adequately to cover your transportation costs (e.g., taxis, if inaccessible or inadequate
     public transportation).

     Resources to help you plan for EAP
         • Access Abroad at the University of Minnesota
         • Mobility International USA (MIUSA)
         • National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange (NCDE)

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                 Students with Disabilities

     Once Abroad
     If you decide not to disclose your accommodation needs in advance
     Be aware that accommodations may not be easily or quickly arranged, at a moments notice,
     without advanced time for preparations. This is why it is best to disclose your accommodation
     needs to EAP staff in the U.S. before departure. If you do request accommodations, follow up
     with staff in the EAP host country after arrival.

     Know who to contact if accommodations are not working while abroad
     Before departure, be certain that you have the contact information for the host university
     disability office or the local EAP representative. If you arrive and requested accommodations are
     not in place, you will need this contact information. Do not delay contacting someone. If you do
     not have a local contact, e-mail your Campus EAP Advisor or the UOEAP Operations Specialist.

     Take ownership of your disability
     Know how you can accommodate your own needs. For example, memorize bus routes, identify
     people willing to provide you with informal support like assisting you with shopping, monitoring
     changes in your condition, or keeping you on schedule. It is important to prepare yourself
     because reality can be different from what you may have read before departure. For example,
     in theory, every metro station may have an elevator, but you will not know how many are in
     working condition until you get there.
     Allow yourself to accept assistance from others
     If accommodations are not what you expected, it is important to know how to seek help. Learn
     how to ask for help and refer to your disability in the local language. If you can’t find a personal
     coach, AA meeting, or therapist abroad, access them remotely by Internet or telephone (plan
     ahead and make sure that this is possible before your departure). If readers and scribes are
     unavailable, mail order audio or Braille books through your campus Disability Services Offices or
     bring assistive technology and software from the U.S.

 Back               UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                Students with Dependents

Students with Dependents
Taking a Spouse,    Not all UCEAP programs are open to students with dependents...
Registered          You are financially responsible for all expenses...
Domestic Partner,   Consider the logistics and planning associated with taking a dependent...
or Child on EAP
 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011              Students with Dependents

     Taking a Spouse, Registered Domestic Partner, or Child on EAP
     Not all UCEAP programs are open to students with dependents
     Before you consider taking a dependent (i.e., spouse, registered domestic partner, and/or
     children) on an EAP program, determine the limitations. Some programs limit the type of
     dependent that may accompany you, and some programs do not allow dependents at all.
     Review page 1 of the EAP Dependent Packet for a detailed listing.

     You are financially responsible for all expenses
     You must have adequate financial resources to cover the extra costs of your dependent(s).
     Consider housing, child care, work opportunities and limitations, as well as unexpected expenses
     or emergencies. You will sign a contract with UCEAP stating you will be responsible for all costs;
     make sure you can live up to that contract.

     Consider the logistics and planning associated with taking a dependent
     There is much planning involved with bringing a dependent on EAP. You must anticipate how you
     will meet a number of needs such as food and housing, insurance, work, and scheduling around
     program activities. You will also need to complete the EAP Dependent Packet, which includes
     detailed information and tips that will help you prepare as well as the necessary paperwork you
     will need to submit to EAP before departure.
     Although homeschooling is legal in the U.S., it is not legal in many countries around the world. If
     you are planning to homeschool dependents while you participate in EAP, it is your responsibility
     to contact the embassy or consulate of your EAP country to find out, in writing, if homeschooling
     is legal and/or whether you must follow compulsory attendance laws. If it is legal, plan ahead as
     to how your children can be schooled while you are in class or on class excursions, and whether
     you will need to take with you educational materials. Find out if homeschooled children will be
     assessed by educational authorities and if there are educational guidelines you must follow.
     If homeschooling is not legal, do not plan on doing so; violations of local law subject EAP
     participants to dismissal from the program.

 Back                 UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011               Extension of Participation

Extension of Participation
 Consider Extending   Review EAP extensions and keep your options open...

 Steps in the         Obtain approval to extend before departure...
 Extension Process    Request final approval to extend by the deadline after departure...
                      Final approval of your request...
                      Retracting your extension request...

 Logistics for the    You are responsible for planning the details of the next term...
 Next Term            Extension program budget and payment due dates...

 Back-to-Back         You may be able to participate in more than one EAP program...
 EAP Programs
 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011             Extension of Participation

     Consider Extending
     Review EAP extensions and keep your options open
     Students on short-term programs often discover after the first term abroad that they want to
     stay longer. After a few months in the host country, students have increased language skills,
     they are acclimated to the local traditions and customs, they have made bonds with new friends,
     and they decide they want to stay longer; unfortunately, many students come to this conclusion
     too late. If you can anticipate the possibility of extending your participation now, you will be
     ahead of the game. It is easy to extend if you obtain approval before departure (via the DPA
     form). You are encouraged to consider this opportunity.
     Most short-term EAP programs enable you to extend your participation from the first term to
     the next within the same program or country. It may also be possible to extend EAP participation
     at the same site to the following academic year.
     Refer to the following detailed listing of EAP extension options.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                Extension of Participation

     Steps in the Extension Process
     Obtain approval to extend before departure
     Complete and submit an approved Departmental/College Pre-Approval to Extend form (DPA) at
     the time of EAP application. If you miss this first deadline, you may still submit a DPA during the
     predeparture period, depending on the program. The DPA must include a “yes” response and
     must be approved and signed by your departmental/college advisor.
     Submitting a DPA does not commit you to extending, but it keeps your options open; if you
     decide to extend once abroad, having a DPA will make the process much easier.

     Request final approval to extend by the deadline after departure
     Know the deadline to request extension of your participation once you are abroad. Your Study
     Center may send a reminder, but it is your responsibility to meet the deadline.
     To extend your participation, complete a Request for Final Approval to Extend form (RFA). The
     RFA can be used only if you originally submitted an approved DPA. Give the RFA to your Study
     Center Director or Liaison Officer.
     Alternate Step:
     If you did not submit an approved DPA before departure, you must complete a Petition to
     Extend form (PTE) instead of an RFA. The petition process is lengthy and complicated; it must
     be approved by UOEAP, your UC campus department chair, and the UC dean or provost.
     Obtaining approval to extend using this form can take up to six weeks if not longer, and there is
     no guarantee that you will be approved to extend. It is best to avoid the frustrations and delays
     associated with this process by getting preapproved with a DPA before departure—even if you
     do not expect to extend your participation that early in the process.

     Final approval of your request
     Your Study Center may or may not approve your RFA, but usually it is approved. Once approved,
     the Study Center will forward the RFA to UOEAP for final approval. Final approval is determined
     by UOEAP and contingent upon space availability in the program, fulfillment of financial
     obligations, and satisfactory academic and behavioral standing. RFA final approval usually takes
     24–48 hours.
     Once your extension has been approved, notification will be sent to your home campus registrar,
     Financial Aid Office, and EAP. Allow for time to process your updated status. This will affect your
     billing and one-time disbursement.

     Retracting your extension request
     If you need to cancel an approved RFA or Petition to Extend (i.e., extension withdrawal),
     you must immediately notify both UOEAP and the Study Center of your decision in writing.
     If you retract an extension request, you may be responsible for paying a withdrawal fee plus
     unrecoverable costs. Refer to the Student Agreement for additional information.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                Extension of Participation

     Logistics for the Next Term
     You are responsible for planning the details of the next term
     Obtain any needed documentation for the correct student visa to cover the next term. Make
     sure you have housing and that other logistical issues are in order. Budget appropriately!
     If you need gap insurance coverage when you return to the United States after your extension
     program is over, remember to fill out a new Gap Health Insurance Enrollment form as soon as
     your extension is approved.

     Extension program budget and payment due dates
     Make timely payments for the additional program. The EAP Student Budget and Payment
     Vouchers provide exact program fees and due dates. Refer to the due dates of the year program
     in which you have extended into.
     If you receive financial aid, contact your UC Financial Aid Office to request a revision of your
     financial aid package. This process may result in a delay in receipt of financial aid revisions.

            Extend From a         To a                 Final Payment Due

            fall program          year program         December 1
            spring program        year program         August 1

     A billing notification will be sent 30 days prior to the final payment due date to the e-mail address
     you entered in MyEAP.
     If you are also sent a bill from your UC campus for the term to which you are extending your EAP
     participation, contact your UC campus billing office in order for them to remove the fees.

 Back                        UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011              Extension of Participation

     Back-to-Back EAP Programs
     You may be able to participate in more than one EAP program
     You can arrange this before leaving the U.S. Submit a separate application for each program
     option by the campus deadline. The Campus EAP Office may have additional requirements.
     Participating in back-to-back programs requires an exceptional level of organization and maturity.
     You must prepare in advance for the second program while completing the first one. For example,
     you may need to obtain a visa or entry permit for the second program while you are outside the
     U.S.; this may require you to fly home between programs or pay for a second passport.

 Back         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011         Withdrawal from EAP

Withdrawal from EAP
Withdrawal    Notify EAP in writing if you withdraw...
Procedures    Withdrawal before departure...
              Withdrawal after departure...
              Administrative withdrawal...

Financial     EAP account and financial aid adjustments...
Obligations   UC fee categories and refund terms...
              Estimated personal expenses...
 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                      Withdrawal from EAP

     Withdrawal Procedures
     Notify EAP in writing if you withdraw
     Whether you withdraw before or after departure, written notification to EAP is required. For
     a predeparture withdrawal, you must notify your Camus EAP Office. For a post-departure
     withdrawal, you must file a Petition to Withdraw with the EAP Study Center. Financial penalties
     and fees may apply, so consider the decision carefully.

         h Decide before you go that you will give the program a chance; that you will not
            immediately withdraw at the first obstacle.

     Withdrawal before departure
     A predeparture withdrawal is any withdrawal prior to the official start date of the program
     as indicated in the EAP program calendar. You must contact your Campus EAP Office for a
     predeparture withdrawal. No financial liability to EAP is incurred if the withdrawal is completed
     prior to the withdrawal deadline as specified in Section 7 of the Student Agreement. Regardless
     of the reason for withdrawal, if you withdraw or become disqualified to participate in EAP
     after the withdrawal deadline, you are subject to a $500 minimum fee, program fees, and
     unrecoverable costs determined by EAP, which can include fees assessed by a host institution or
     third-party service (according to deadlines established by those entities).

     Withdrawal after departure
     A post-departure withdrawal is any withdrawal after the official start date of the program as
     indicated in the EAP program calendar. Post-departure withdrawal is an important matter with
     the potential for academic, financial, and personal consequences. It is also a formal process
     whereby you must notify EAP that you are leaving EAP.
     The EAP Student Agreement is binding for the full duration of the program and carries with
     it legal and financial obligations. Release from any of these obligations depends upon the
     circumstances of the withdrawal. You are expected to attend EAP for the full duration of the
     program, whether that is a summer, semester, quarter, or academic year.
     Requests to shorten participation in EAP are treated as withdrawals from EAP. Early withdrawal
     from a term ordinarily cancels all academic credit; partial credit for year-long courses usually is
     not possible.
     Petition to Withdraw
     If you are considering post-departure withdrawal from EAP, consult the Study Center Director
     for advice and for assistance in completing the necessary procedures. To withdraw from EAP,
     you must file a Petition to Withdraw with the Study Center who will forward it to UOEAP for
     further processing. Failure to submit the Petition to Withdraw can jeopardize registration
     privileges for future terms at UC. The Petition to Withdraw serves the following functions:
     Official Notice of Withdrawal: It serves as official notice that you have left or are leaving the
     program and terminates the Study Center’s responsibility for you.
     Course Disposition: The Study Center Director indicates the disposition of your course work on
     the Petition to Withdraw. Withdrawal from the program while courses are in progress may carry
     serious academic consequences. Depending on the timing and circumstances of the withdrawal,
     courses in progress may remain on your record with a notation of “W” or, in certain cases, a
     grade of F if deemed appropriate by the Study Center Director as instructor of record (or in the
     case of Study Centers directed by a Liaison Officer, by the EAP Academic Dean). If you leave
     the program without authorization before the end of the term, you may be administratively
     dismissed from EAP and may receive an F in each course in which you were enrolled.

 Back                         UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                    Withdrawal from EAP

     Effective Date of Withdrawal: It establishes the effective date of withdrawal, which in many
     cases determines the financial impact. The effective date of withdrawal is based on whichever is
     later: 1) the day you notify EAP that you are withdrawing or 2) the last date of your documented
     participation in an academic activity (e.g., attended class; took an exam; submitted a paper;
     participated in a scheduled class discussion, tutorial, or counseling session; or attended a Study
     Center organized orientation or counseling meeting). In the case of a planned withdrawal at the
     end of a term, the effective date of withdrawal is the last day of final exams for the term.
     Readmission to UC: It provides valuable context for the UC campus dean who makes the final
     decision about any conditions of readmission to UC for subsequent term(s). The Petition to
     Withdraw from EAP must include your statement of the reasons for withdrawal and a statement
     from the Study Center Director. These statements may be considered by the UC dean or provost
     in determining any conditions of readmission.
     Registrars’ handling of withdrawal and the procedures for continued enrollment vary by UC
     campus. On some campuses, a student who withdraws from EAP for reasons other than health
     or some critical circumstance beyond his or her control may not be able to register at the UC
     campus until one or two terms have lapsed after withdrawal. The UC dean or provost will receive
     the Petition to Withdraw and will then determine the conditions of return.
     Contact your Campus EAP Office for information about the policies and procedures for
     readmission and the possible impact of withdrawal on your UC academic program. The petition
     is reviewed by the Study Center Director, the relevant Regional Director at the Universitywide
     Office of EAP, and the requested term of readmission to UC is approved by your UC campus dean
     or provost with or without conditions.
     Insurance Coverage
     Your insurance coverage will be impacted by withdrawal, regardless of the reason. Insurance
     coverage on EAP ends 31 days after the official Effective Date of Withdrawal. If you do not have
     private insurance, you will need to make plans to continue insurance coverage by purchasing
     Gap Insurance. For details, refer to the UCEAP Insurance Plan brochure.

     Administrative withdrawal
     Administrative withdrawal is an action taken either by the Campus EAP Office or the
     Universitywide Office of EAP. A student can be administratively withdrawn from the program
     before or after departure. You may be administratively withdrawn if you:
         • Fail to complete academic requirements allowing your placement or continued participation
           in the program (e.g., meeting GPA, language, and other program prerequisites)
         • Do not follow EAP procedures
         • Fail to meet administrative requirements (e.g., submitting required documents, meeting
           deadlines, etc.)
         • Violate UCEAP policies (e.g., academic and personal conduct, safety, travel, etc.). See the
           UCEAP Policies and Contracts chapter of this guide for all policies.
     All disqualified students are subject to discontinued insurance coverage, which ends 31 days after
     the official Effective Date of Withdrawal, as well as applicable financial and academic penalties.
     Penalties include but are not limited to unrecoverable program costs and fees assessed by EAP,
     the host institution, and third-party service providers abroad.

 Back                          UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad 2010-2011                     Withdrawal from EAP

     Financial Obligations
     EAP account and financial aid adjustments
          h Once you withdraw, your EAP account will be adjusted to reflect prorated fees and
             unrecoverable expenses. Once your student account and financial aid package have
             been revised, a billing notification (for debit balances) or a disbursement notification
             (for credit balances), will be sent to the e-mail address indicated in MyEAP.
     If you are a financial aid student, a revised budget will be sent to your campus Financial Aid Office,
     which may result in a reduction of the amount of your original financial aid package. Due to this
     revision in the financial aid package, you may be required to reimburse money already advanced.
     You are responsible for any EAP program fees and financial disbursements already received that
     are not covered by the revised financial aid package.
     Scholarships and other financial aid are retroactively reduced if you withdraw or become
     disqualified. If these adjustments result in a balance due to EAP, your UC registration will be
     blocked until the balance is paid.
     If your EAP student account is revised based on withdrawal, you may receive refunds or credits
     to your account according to the type of fee or expense. Fee categories and refund terms are
     as follows.

     UC fee categories and refund terms
         • UC registration and education fees and EAP summer program, ILP, and pre-ILP fees (where
           applicable) are refunded according to Federal Title IV regulations as interpreted by each UC
           campus. Access the Schedule of Refunds for 2010-11, and locate the refund Schedule B, which
           is applicable to you.
         • EAP Administrative fees will not be refunded.
         • Campus fees are charged by EAP term and are not refunded after the start of the term.
         • Housing, pre-ILP housing, and ILP housing fees charged by EAP (where applicable) may be
           refundable; this is determined by the contract between EAP and the housing provider.
         • Student activities fees and other fees specific to your program are generally not refundable
           unless costs can be recovered by EAP.

     Estimated personal expenses
     If you withdraw, you may have incurred personal expenses, referred to as Estimated Personal
     Expenses in the EAP Student Budget. You are personally responsible for these costs; bear in
     mind that airlines, housing providers, and other non-EAP entities may have cancelation penalties
     for fees paid directly to them.
     Financial aid students: The impact on financial aid will depend on the type of expense and the
     date of withdrawal. Based on the effective date of withdrawal, the EAP student budget will be
     revised and sent to your UC campus Financial Aid Office. Based on this revised budget, your
     financial aid package may also be revised, as follows:
         • For all expenses charged to you by EAP, you will receive a credit on your EAP student
           account for any refundable cost, as described in the UC fee categories and refund terms
           section of this guide.
         • The Estimated Personal Expenses category of the EAP Student Budget will be recalculated.
           For purposes of financial aid, you will receive full credit for predeparture expenses and round-
           trip airfare as estimated in the original student budget. However, all other Estimated Personal
           Expenses will be recalculated based on the actual amount of time spent enrolled in EAP.
         • Based on any credits to your EAP student account, revisions to Estimated Personal Expenses,
           and Title IV regulations as interpreted by your UC campus Financial Aid Office, your financial
           aid may be reduced. This determination is made by your Financial Aid Office, not by EAP.


To top