Historic Loveland Bus Tour Loveland Museum/Gallery INTRODUCTION: The Loveland Museum/Gallery offers a slide presentation – "Slides of Early Loveland" -- that can be checked out from the Museum. This presentation is an excellent starting point for studying the history of Loveland. It lasts approximately 45 minutes. Tom Katsimpalis, Curator of Interpretation, will present the slideshow by appointment if the teacher would like. In addition to changing art exhibits, the Museum has permanent exhibits pertaining to Loveland's history that can also supplement the student's experience. ADDITIONAL RESOURCES: Five book published by the Loveland Museum/Gallery may be useful in preparing for the tour: HISTORICAL IMAGES from the Loveland Museum/Gallery Collection A Guide to Historic Loveland Loveland's Historic Downtown: A Guide to Buildings Historic Loveland Churches Stone Quarrying in Loveland's Foothills: Through the Centuries HISTORIC LOVELAND BUS TOUR -- LESSON PLAN: The Historic Loveland Bus Tour lasts for two hours. Tom Katsimpalis, Curator of Interpretation, will ride along in the bus with the group and discuss a variety of historical locations in the area (refer to following list). The tour can be changed to include specific information or locations at the teacher request. The group can plan to stop for lunch during the tour if they wish. During the bus tour, teachers are encouraged to create a worksheet for the students to fill in. Please provide a copy of the worksheet to Tom so that he can be sure to incorporate the necessary information into his discussion. LIST OF HISTORICAL SITES: Alabaster Shop: This shop on the south side of Eisenhower used to be an alabaster shop. It was owned and operated by Earl and Alta Proctor and their daughters Hazel, Gladys, and Madge, from 1933 through the 1970s. The Proctors made and sold all kinds of alabaster objects, including lighthouses, salt and pepper shakers, bowls, clocks, candleholders, vases, bookends, and lamp bases. The alabaster quarry was located in Owl Canyon, north of Fort Collins off Highway 287. Gladys Proctor donated a number of beautiful alabaster items to the Museum in 2002. They are presently on exhibit in the Museum’s Live on Main Street Exhibit. Great Western Sugar Factory: In 1901 the Great Western Sugar Company built its first factory in Loveland. 6,000 acres around it were contracted for sugar beets. It has been estimated that during its first quarter century of production, the sugar beet industry in Colorado reaped double the profits of Colorado’s mining industry in its first 25 years. The sugar beet industry became the largest single industry in Northern Colorado with plants in Fort Collins, Eaton, Greeley, Windsor, Loveland, Johnstown, Brighton and Longmont. In 1898, Loveland businessmen gathered in the opera hall to form a committee to promote locating a sugar factory in Loveland. Eventually, a group of businessmen headed by Charles Boettcher made an offer that called for Loveland to provide 1,500 acres of land, 3,500 acres of sugar beets under contract and $8,000 in cash. The committee raised the $8,000 by auctioning off one-pound bottles of sugar from the first 100-pound sack of sugar to be produced at the factory. Highest price paid was $325. The committee secured contract for 6,000 acres, 2,500 more that the property to celebrate Loveland Beet Sugar Day. In the yards, 42,000 tons of harvested beets had arrived for processing. Large communities of Germans from Russia, and later, Japanese, Mexican and Mexican- Americans migrated to beet towns such as Loveland to take advantage of the opportunities. The Great Western Sugar Factory closed in 1985. The silos are still used to store sugar and are owned by Amalgamated Sugar. The Osborn Farm: Many of the early settlers to this area were in search of gold. When the land along the Big Thompson River proved disappointing for its lack of gold, the land along the river filled up quickly with farms and ranches. These early settlers harvested the native hay along the valley and sold it to the mining camps, which were in constant need of supplies. At that time, hay brought as much as $100 a ton in the mining communities. Soon, these farmers were also harvesting wheat, oats, beans and potatoes. In 1860, William Baskin Osborn, who served as a judge in a miner's court near Central City, quit his job and moved to this area. He bought 700 acres south of the river two miles southeast of Loveland (what became Loveland in 1877) and on it built a log cabin. His farmland, which is now adjacent to Highway 402, is still owned by the farmed by their descendants. It is the longest continuously held deed in the state. Seven generations of Osborn's have lived on the land. William Osborn became active in the Loveland community and became the first judge of Larimer County, County Treasurer, and served as assessor and on the State Board of Horticulture. The farmhouse, at 2306 East First, was built in 1882 by his son, Milo, and called Timberland Farm. The Town of Old Saint Louis: The settlement of Old Saint Louis, established in 1863, was located where Saint Louis Avenue now crosses the Big Thompson River. It developed into a thriving village with a post office, hotel, general store, blacksmith shop, drug store and flourmill, from which it took its name. The Mill's flour sacks carried the name Saint Louis Flour, which proved to be an excellent marketing ploy in Denver and the neighboring mining towns. Old Saint Louis was identified on maps at that time as "Big Thompson," its post office designation. The town was only 10 years old when the railroad came to the area. The townspeople had hoped that the railroad would come through Saint Louis, but it went through several miles west. So the residents of Old Saint Louis were quickly resigned to their fate and many moved businesses, buildings and all, to the new town of Loveland. 622 East First Street: C.C. Bushnell, the promoter of the first Corn Roast Festival, which occurred in 1894, built this historic home some time after 1900. This home, like other historic houses, was originally surrounded by property. In later years, the "block" was filled in with other homes to create the neighborhoods that now stand. Loveland's First General Hospital – 106 South Monroe: This home was built in 1905 by David Ragan and was converted into the Loveland General Hospital in 1907 under the direction of Mrs. George Ragan. Larimer County Bank Building/Stroh Building: The Larimer County Bank Building, now known as the Stroh Building, sits on the northwest corner of 4th and Lincoln. It was once termed "the handsomest building in Loveland." It was built in 1891 to house Loveland's second bank. The building originally had a corner entrance and was faced with pressed brick trimmed in red sandstone. The bank occupied the first floor. In 1902, a 25 X 60 foot addition extended the building to the alley. It underwent a massive renovation in 1927, when the corner entrance was filled in and the entrance was moved to 4th Street. Three years after this renovation, the bank became one of the victims of the Great Depression. Lovelander: In 1878, a Mrs. Hopkins built and operated the Loveland House, a frame hotel on the northeast corner of 4th Street and Railroad Avenue. In 1912, a group of Loveland businessmen put up $40,000 and built on the same site the three-story, three- wing brick Lovelander Hotel. The grand opening was July 10, 1913, and the whole town was invited to inspect the new hotel. The Lobby extended the entire width of the building. The Elks purchased the building in 1927 after passenger train traffic declined. The group spent $10,000 creating a 52 X 72 foot lodge room, filling in the courtyard and converting the basement into a banquet room and the kitchen and dining room into a billiard room. The building is used for conventions, banquets, dances, meetings and other activities. Railroad Depot: The first depot was a tent. A building was constructed in 1877-88 on the west side of the tracks. After passengers complained about sharing space with overflow produce and livestock, Colorado Central Railroad built this new depot in 1902 for almost $20,000. The architectural style was Romanesque Revival, with arched windows and doorways, popular at the turn of the twentieth century. Bricks from the old depot were used to pave the platform and walkways. Stanley Steamers used to line up at the depot and the Loveland House to take passengers up to Estes Park. The old road was along 1st Street west over Bald Mountain through Pinewood. Loveland Light, Heat & Power: This was Loveland's original power plant -- an example of the Romanesque Revival Style with the rusticated brickwork. A fire destroyed the building's second story in 1988. Lee J. Kelim owned the building for only about a year in 1905-06 before it was sold to Northern Colorado Power Company. Kelim sold out because he found he could not handle merchants' demand for power during the day as well as in the evenings. Kelim's house was the first Loveland residence to utilize electric lights. Kelim moved east, founded the town of Kelim in 1913, and constructed a large mill there. He died in 1925 after losing an arm in a bean thresher. Washburn's Crossing: Washburn's Crossing was located at the Big Thompson River where Highway 287 now crosses it. The Overland Stage Route relocated here from Mariano's Crossing in 1864. The stop was located on the east side of Highway 287. It was named after Judge John Washburn. Judge John Washburn, came to the Big Thompson Valley in 1862. He built a cabin at what became known as Washburn's Crossing. The cabin served as a post office (1863), an Overland Trail stage stop (1864), and Judge Washburn's courthouse. Albina Washburn became the area's first teacher. She held school in a cabin across the road from the Washburn's cabin. Derby Hill: Derby Hill sits south of the center of Loveland about 2 miles. It bears the name of one of the most prominent pioneer families in the Big Thompson Valley. This is where Mr. and Mrs. Abram Derby farmed. Mrs. Derby was Caroline Barnes, the daughter of David and Sarah Barnes, who donated the land for the original town site of Loveland. Highway 287 was originally a narrow dirt road that wound dangerously around Derby Hill. Model T Fords chugged up the hill and whizzed down. Foot races and bicycle races were also staged between Loveland and Berthoud over Derby Hill. Derby Hill was also the site of Loveland's first golf course and country club. Lego Building: The building at the corner of Railroad and 14th Street now owned by Teledyne Waterpik, was originally used for the manufacture of Lego Building blocks. A look at the front of the building proves that Lego connection. Samsonite Luggage also owned the building at one point. The Pea Factory – Empson Canning Company: The Empson Canning Company factory building was located just south of First Street and west of Railroad Avenue. The plant opened on Monday, July 13, 1908, and remained in operation for 30 years. At operating capacity, the factory could process 20,000 cans per hour. It handled crops from 3,000 acres of peas. At its peak, the factory employed 200 people. The plant was later used to process beans, tomatoes and cherries. Colorado-Big Thompson Project: The Colorado-Big Thompson River Project was developed in 1938 to divert western slope snowmelt to the eastern slope. Seventy percent of the state's precipitation falls on the western slope. The Project spans 150 miles east -- west (from Kremmling on the west to Brush on the east) and 645 miles north-south (Boulder to Wyoming). The Project diverts the snowmelt through (not over or around) the Continental Divide via the thirteen-mile Alva B. Adams Tunnel. In June 1947, the Big Thompson River received its first western slope water, seven years to the day construction began. Traveling west on First Street, you can see the pipeline, which carries water from the eastern end of the tunnel just west of the YMCA Camp in Estes Park over Bald Mountain near Pinewood. Mariano Medina: Mariano Medina was born in 1812 in Taos, New Mexico, which was Mexican territory at the time. He was the first permanent settler in the Big Thompson Valley. Medina was a former trapper, hunter, scout and guide. In 1844, he lived as a trapper along the Snake River in Utah Territory. Several years later, he lived at the head of the Missouri River in Montana at Fort Lewis. He left Montana after he killed two Blackfeet warriors in a battle. Instead of paying the natives several hundred dollars in ponies for his actions, he left the area. In 1856, Medina operated a ferry on the Sweetwater River in Wyoming, and in 1857 he lived at Robertson's Indian Camp in Wyoming. In 1857-58, during the Mormon Wars, Medina accompanied Captain Randolph Marcy and his men on a supply trip from near Fort Bridger, Wyoming to New Mexico. The band became mired in deep snow and lost their way over the mountains. All of their supplies were gone and men died every day. Captain Marcy sent Medina and another Mexican off to Fort Massachusetts alone for help. Eleven days later, they returned followed by with fresh supplies, saving the remainder of the band. Medina moved to the valley in mid-1858 with his wife, Tacanecy, and three children, including his stepson, Louis Papa. Two more children were born, but none except Louis Papa is known to have lived to adulthood. In 1857, Tacanecy died, Susan Carter Howard went to live with Medina after her own divorce. The couple had a son in 1876. Mariano and Susan had not been married; they were indicted for open adultery. In July 1877, Mariano and Susan were married by a priest, making in legal. Medina died in 1878 from a painful effect of bullets lodged in his body over time. He asked to be buried with his two horses, his carriage and a keg of whiskey. Namaqua: Mariano's (or Marianne's) Crossing later became known as Namaqua. In 1868, a federal post office opened there under that name. The settlement was located across the road from the present site of Namaqua Park. The toll bridge was located west of the present bridge, and at least until 1980, tow pilings from Medina's toll bridge still stood on the south side of the riverbank. In 1956, all that was left of Medina's home was torn down. Some of the original logs were used to reconstruct the cabin in the Loveland Museum/Gallery. Namaqua Park: In 1960, Medina's and other family member's graves were moved to the current site. The only notice of the move was in the Fort Collins paper. People claim that Loveland residents were not notified of the proposed move. The family cemetery had been located about ¼ mile south of Namaqua on the west side of Namaqua Road. *The late Zethyl Gates thinks Namaqua was named after the beautiful daughter of chief Black Hawk, a Sauk Indian who lived in the Midwest. The Chief's daughter was named Namequa, with an 'e' instead of the second 'a.' The town of Blackhawk, Colorado was named after Chief Black Hawk, and the first postmaster of Namaqua, Hiram Tadder, knew of the Chief and his beautiful daughter. Louis Papa: Louis Papa was reportedly born at Snake Creek, Utah, in 1844. His mother, Tacanecy, was pregnant when the French trader, Louis Elbert Papin, traded her to Mariano Medina for some blankets and horses. He was 14 when Medina settled on the Big Thompson River. Papa never attended school. He herded cattle and horses around Medina's ranch. Papa homesteaded up the Big Thompson Canyon near Viestenz-Smith Park. He spent his winter months in Loveland and died in 1935. He was buried in the Frank Bartholf family plot at Loveland's Lakeside Cemetery. (Papa rode for Frank Bartholf for years and they became lifelong friends.) Loveland – How it got its name: Loveland was founded in 1877; one year after Colorado joined the United States. Loveland was named after William Austin Hamilton Loveland, president of the Colorado Central Railroad. Loveland completed a northern line from Denver to Cheyenne through David Barnes' wheat field. Barnes was a long- time friend of W.A.H. Loveland. Barnes deeded land for the railroad right-of-way plus land for a town. Rather than name the town Barnesville, the Barnes family suggested the town be named after Loveland. Sweetheart City: In 1947, Loveland became known as the "Sweetheart City" when it initiated a Valentine remailing program. Volunteers help stamp valentines received from around the world every year. The first Miss Loveland Valentine was selected in 1962. Street Names: The original street naming and numbering system in Loveland was quite simple. The 1877 town plat showed the original boundaries running from First Street north to Eighth Street and from A Street (now Lincoln Avenue) west to E Street (now Garfield). In 1904, streets with letter designations were renamed after presidents. In the 1950's, a street naming convention designated that the streets in certain sections of town have certain categories of names – Colorado towns, trees, birds, boys' names, state capitols, girls' names, flowers, and Loveland pioneers. In 1969, the city council voted to rename 14th Street, Eisenhower Boulevard. Corn Roast: the tradition of the annual Corn Roast began in 1894. Similar to a county fair, the Roast attracted people from all over the region, all the way from Cheyenne to Denver. A parade was held on 4th Street, a picnic-style dinner followed at the old Washington School grounds. Various entertainments and demonstrations, such as Professor Baldwin's balloon ascension and parachute drops were conducted for the benefit of all. In 1912, the Corn Roast tradition gave way to the Larimer County Fair, which featured a double parachute drop by the Belmont Sisters that year. When the County Fair was instituted, the Corn Roast Festival was discontinued – until 1982, when the Chamber of Commerce revived it. Cherry Orchards: Cherry Hills Subdivision has this name because this area used to be covered by cherry orchards. By the end of the 19th century, Loveland had become a major fruit growing area. Cherries were introduced and orchards covered the land around town and westward into the hogback valleys and along the river. There were 1,000 acres of the crop. Trees covered land now used by Hewlett-Packard, Orchards Shopping Center, as well as Cherry Hills Estate. Spring Glade Orchard was the largest single cherry orchard west of the Mississippi River. There were at least three commercial canning companies in operation during the height of the industry: Kuner-Empson, Loveland Canning, and Cherry Products Corporation. Stone Quarries: The stone quarries in the hogbacks west of Loveland have been operating since the 1880s. The stone has been known since then for its color and quality. Flagging, curbing, lintels and building stone is fashioned from the sandstone and can be seen in many of Loveland's early homes, schools, churches and other structures. For more information or to schedule a tour, call Tom Katsimpalis at 970-962-2412. COLORADO MODEL CONTENT STANDARDS INTEGRATED INTO THE LESSON: Standard 1: Students understand the chronological organization of history and know how to organize events and people into major eras to identify and explain historical relationships. Students will be able to note significant events, groups, and people in the history of Colorado and identify where they lived and worked. Standard 2: Students know how to use the process and resources of historical inquiry. Students will gather historical data from multiple sources including buildings and landscapes. Students will also be able to formulate historical questions based on examination of primary sources. Standard 3: Students understand that societies are diverse and have changed over time. Students will be able to visually see the changes in the built environment and landscape of the region. Standard 4: Students understand how science, technology, and economic activity have developed, changed and affected societies throughout history. Students will be able to describe the impact of various technological developments on the local community and the state such as the Colorado-Big Thompson Water Project. Standard 6: Students know that religious and philosophical ideas have been powerful forces throughout history. Students will be able to give examples of forms of expression that depict the history, daily life and beliefs of various peoples using architecture.