Pouching an Enterostomy
Pouching a Non-Continent
Perry & Potter
Intermediate Disk 1
• Infection Control
• Individualized Care & Education
– To prepare for home management
– Continuity of care
– Accurate and timely communication
• Critical Thinking and Decision Making
– Evaluate effectiveness of nursing care
• Protect self concept
– Actions that might cause anxiety
– Actions that might cause embarrassment
• Location and condition of stoma
• Character of fecal effluent?
• Usual elimination pattern?
• Type of pouching system used and its
To minimize skin irritation, avoid
unnecessary changing of the entire
Other Important Points
• Position during pouch change is either
• Best time to change the barrier or pouch?
What do you notice about the
nurse performing the
– Normally red-pink and moist
– Depth above skin
What Advice Does the Nurse
Give About Bathing?
• How long can the patient shower or bathe
with the appliance on?
• Is it OK for water to run over the stoma?
• When should the patient schedule her
shower around a pouch and barrier
• Is it normal for a stoma to bleed?
To Prepare for GI Lecture
Be Sure to Review the Video!
A WORD TO THE WISE:
To prepare for Renal Lecture, watch
Urinary Diversion / Urostomy