P2Rx Administrative Meeting February 6-9, 2006 Las Vegas, Nevada P2Rx administrative group met in Las Vegas on Tuesday, February 07, 2006. Andy Bray (Northeast Waste Management Officials‟ Association, NEWMOA), John Calcagni and Gary Hunt (Waste Reduction Resource Center, WRRC), Deb Jacobson (Great Lakes Pollution Prevention Roundtable, GLRPPR), Thomas Vinson-Peng (Southwest Network for Zero Waste, Zerowaste), Rick Yoder and Jean Waters (Pollution Prevention Regional Information Center, P2RIC), Mike Vogel and Elizabeth Bird (Peaks to Prairies Pollution Prevention Information Center, Peaks), Ed Gonzalez and Kevin Dick (Western Regional Pollution Prevention Network, WRPPN), Chris Wiley (Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Resource Center, PPRC), and Beth Anderson (Environmental Protection Agency, EPA) were present. Andy Bray is the P2Rx program manager and led the meetings. Logic model Rick Yoder reviewed the logic model for P2Rx. He provided a diagram from the University of Wisconsin Web site which explains the structure of a logic model. This diagram can be found at http://www.uwex.edu/ces/pdande/evaluation/evallogicmodel.html Rick showed a “process map” version of what P2Rx is trying to accomplish, since the logic model becomes very complicated. The main goal of P2Rx is 1. Provide P2 information to P2 Specialists. 2. P2 Specialists use P2 information to educate and motivate companies and consumers to implement P2 solutions. 3. companies and consumers which implement P2 solutions generate less pollution, reducing risk to human health and the environment. Based on discussions that have occurred in the business plan committee, it was suggested we change “P2 specialists” to include “business and industry.” The multicolored, “long version” of the logic model has changed since it was presented in Denver. Rick hasn‟t incorporated all the suggested changes yet. Because of the detail, though, Rick went to the black and white, Logic Model Worksheet. There are three different elements, Information collection, communication and networking, and services. A Logic model defines the program‟s long-term outcomes, which require medium-term outcomes, which require short-term outcomes. Prior to that you have to have program outputs, prior to that you have inputs. John suggested a different way to show the arrows. Every box should have an arrow going somewhere. The individual black and white pages need to be labeled. The “P2 Specialist” issue is one of nomenclature. Rick asks center directors to give this more thought and get back to him. It was suggested to change headings to learning, action, and conditions (environmental). Chris suggests activities, behavior, and environmental outcomes. We definitely need to tie this back to the measurement tool. Beth reported that EPA will let you show logical connection of providing information to environmental improvement. The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is interested in environmental impact. OMB also looks at efficiency. Rick will take the next step, including looking at language on the measurement tool and send it back out for another review. It was suggested that we include a place on the measurement tool that users could record whether they used information from their P2Rx center to achieve environmental results. Kevin says if they‟re using our center to record information in the measurement tool, it shows they‟re using our center, and we should count it. John thinks that when people are entering data into the measurement tool, they‟ll likely be in a bad mood, because it‟s considered a “chore” and it‟s the wrong time to ask them to say something good about our Centers. Centers’ processes for assessing regional needs We reviewed the “needs assessment” compilation. Folks objected to the term “board of directors” and want “advisory board” instead. Coordinators want to know what we‟re doing with the info we get from our regions. Beth says it‟s more the feedback loop that is missing. We got customer feedback a couple of years ago. What did we do with the information and did it satisfy the regions? There needs to be better communication with the P2 coordinators. We need to show what the users want and what centers are doing about it. The question was posed whether or not we develop a standard on how we‟re getting feedback. Should we all use roundtables, listservs, and surveys every two years or something? Kevin and John don‟t think we need a standard. Thomas thinks it can be a guideline. Jean thinks we need a final communication piece back to regional programs, which can be our monthly P2Rx update, a product that will be proposed by the marketing committee later in the meeting. Chris says we can use PPRC‟s “What‟s New in P2” to advertise new P2Rx products and provide feedback about changes we make in response to user needs. Rick said we could put our process for getting feedback on our “about us” page. Ellen Lincoln (graphic artist at P2RIC) can do this with graphics. Everyone agrees that providing this information about how we assess needs within the region is adequate for the task we were charged with by the P2 coordinators, except that we need to show how we‟re handling feedback to our regions. Center directors need to let Elizabeth know any corrections they have and how they‟re handling feedback in their regions. Elizabeth will correct the compilation and distribute it. Business plan Andy reported on discussions of the business plan committee, which consists of Andy Bray, Ed Gonzalez, Chris Wiley, Gary Hunt, John Calcagni, Chet McLaughlin (R7), Rob Guilliam (R1), Julie Shannon (HQ), and Leif Mangulson (R9) (through Feb.). He said the “needs assessment” piece is important to the coordinators. The committee has discussed who the audience is for P2Rx, and has declared that discussion is “done.” The committee talked about what gaps P2Rx fills for users. They have discussed resources needed. Some questions remain. How can we evaluate impact in audience? How do we look at funding under this plan? Beth says that in Denver, EPA was asking what we can do with reduced resources. Chris says the concept that we need a “business plan” was flawed in the first place. Andy is not sure we‟re going to end up with a business plan at all. The P2 coordinators wanted a needs assessment – we have it now but it‟s not part of the business plan. They want to know base levels of funding but it‟s different for every center. EPA says they‟re going to fund us another year and then they will want to see a business plan. Rick asks if we‟re getting meaningful input from the coordinators. Andy reported that Leif said on the last call that going through the process is what he needed. Leif invested the time to learn. Andy thinks it would be ideal if every coordinator could go through the process. Mike commented that the committee seems to be an exercise in engagement. He thinks we‟re burning a lot of time on stuff we already have put together. Show them our mission and goals (here‟s who we are), show the logic model, the needs assessment, then ask if this moves them closer to what they need. The comment was made that some P2 coordinators are getting heat from their states and some coordinators what to drop centers. The business plan essentially provides them “cover” against such threats. How do we survive with our funding? On the financial piece, budgets are too different among Centers because of all the differences in organizational structure, given that we have nonprofit organizations, university organizations, and state organizations all receiving the grants. John suggests we pull together what we‟ve got plus the logic model, call it a strategic plan or organizational plan or something else and don‟t address financial aspects. Jean suggested center directors meet one-on-one with their coordinators. Beth says we have to keep them engaged and they are distracted with all their other work. Should we send new promotional pieces to all the coordinators every time something is created? Beth suggested we show a spectrum of existing products every two months and provide an index of P2Rx products at the end of the year. John suggested we write a blurb once a month and send it to all the coordinators. There is a lot of existing information that could be pulled together to tell the story we‟re trying to tell in the business plan. Andy will draft a list of other components should be part of this package. He can extract our core functions from past proposals, integrate the logic model, and ignore the financial part. He will give the business plan committee the document and get their response. Andy should be on the conference call with the P2 coordinators every month or so. Marketing committee report Everyone agrees that since there are so many mistakes on the back of the P2Rx folder brochures, and since folks might not realize the inside has changes, and so might not pick up folders with new inserts, we should recycle the folders. Chris found a 100% post- consumer recycled PCF paper we‟ll use to produce individual brochures on the laser printer. Mike suggested centers make a brochure that folds open, even bigger than a trifold. One panel would be generic P2Rx information. We could also use this format for a measurement brochure, with one panel serving as a “quick reference guide” to the tool. It was proposed that a monthly P2Rx update be distributed to stakeholders. All centers agreed to provide a monthly update (paragraph or so). Elizabeth would like centers to produce a one-page marketing piece for every Topic Hub. Ellen can prepare a template and format for this. Andy suggested we pull together other promotional items done by Centers and post them on the P2Rx Web site. He suggested we try and anticipate what other marketing items we‟ll need next year. Beth said we need something on the strategic plan and the measurement tool. We‟ll also need a news piece on the measurement tool, where we advertise and explain to people how to use it. Andy says we need to do more co-branding. This was also in Nedra‟s report. Beth thinks it‟s the difference between your center and the national network. Maybe this should be covered in the for the strategic communication piece (formerly the business plan). Explaining what we do and how we do it, build shared platform, etc. Try to explain the information technology interactions. The committee suggested that for the Environmental Summit in May, 2006, we do not offer any promotional item at the booth, but have some promotional brochures and specific product literature. We need to be sure to have brochures on the measurement tool. We can have a candy dispenser at our booth so we avoid packaging waste but accommodate sanitary concerns. We should look into the custom printed M&M candies for this. Additionally, we discussed having a small card at the booth that folks could take home with information about a prize that would be awarded to people who visit our Web sites. We could give people a “code” at the booth, which they could enter in a form on our sites. We‟d bury the link to the prize form on the page of Topic Hubs, so we‟d know users would at least see that page. We could give away a Starbucks card to every person who signed on, and give away a grand prize, perhaps a Patagonia jacket, to one user, whose name is drawn from all those who enter the contest. We would want to have the jacket and a sample Starbucks card on display at the booth. News committee report The primary focus of the News committee for the coming year is maintenance and improving efficiency. We will continue to ask center news editors to meet in conference calls every two months. P2RIC will take the lead on putting together the style guide that talks about how to do headlines and format and will review the capabilities of news aggregators. Andy says we need to do more to recognize the brand, using the “news guy.” We want to encourage all centers to do this so Andy will put it on the Web nag list. Rick wants to see us market the box to partners. Wednesday, February 08, 2006. Measurement Tool Chris Wiley led a discussion on the measurement tool. He thanked centers who have put the regional aggregation tool on their sites, NEWMOA, WRRC, GLRPPR, Zerowaste, and P2RIC. There is a tool on P2Rx.org that will not be used for real data collection, so users can try it. Work on the tool up to this date has been funded by the National Pollution Prevention Roundtable (NPPR) via a grant they received from EPA. We expect to get National Environmental Information Exchange Network (NEIEN) money from a contract with the state of Colorado and PPRC. There have been problems because EPA decided to make this a cooperative agreement instead of a grant, but Chris expects everything to be in place by March 1, 2006. He is waiting for the contract before PPRC does any significant amount of work. Chris will send the scope of work to the centers and they will respond. Chris can also provide a sample contract. Mike previously sent three bullets to Chris which he needs to have included in the contract (no match, no ADC, able to pay existing staff and faculty additional compensation). Rick wants a limit of 15% overhead. Chris expects $34,000 per center with the grant ending September 2007. One thing centers need to do soon is organize their regional measurement stakeholder group. PPRC isn‟t looking for feedback on the tool from centers until December 2006. Guidance on how to use the tool should be in place by May. Currently, there is no way to change data after it has been entered except for the regional center to manually go into the database. The user does have the capability to review the data at the time they enter it, before final submission. Chris says there is also training at the summit. They will try to have a web-cast prior to the Summit. At a minimum, regions need to commit to a committee to look at the tool. Regional roundtables are currently planned for the following times. Region 5 Feb 22-23 Region 2 winter 07 Region 9 (advisory board) March 8-9 – this will include planning for a joint P2 conference with Region 10 Region 8, March 27-29. Region 7 RT April 6-7 Region 10 RT May 24 – 26 Region 4 RT June Region 1&2 RT June Region 6 RT August 17 Center Updates NEWMOA – best references – working on a different display that will drive more users to the Topic Hub references roundtable in early ‟07 in Puerto Rico at request of Region 2, which wants more P2 outreach to the territories. Revise the Spanish language materials directory. Check NSCEP in Cincinnati (EPA) can look up materials for different languages. Will try to connect with P2WIN and the Mexican Roundtable Look at what we can do to more integrate all resources – library, sector resources, and other resources WRRC – Best references – looking at a way to display top references already identified in the Topic Hubs as a different product, similar to Sector Resources Measurement – will be working with states in the region to get their data entered into the tool Case study database (work with zerowaste) Sustainability in military bases NC, SC, TN, GA, FL, and AL will be next. Supporting a communication tool for this group. Working with DOD bases in region 4 to update vendor contracts to include P2 GLRPPR – RSS feed for sector resources. This is a different way for partners to share GLRPPR‟s content. Tyler is trying to get Deb to invest in a new server. Creating a blog – could set up a form so people could post their info. Would replace the news portion of the website with this blog. Can still post pictures and other things but it would be more up to date Do a web-cast to help partners set up RSS. Possibly work with University of Wisconsin. Create a group of Topic Hubs – targeted to schools, like mercury group of Topic Hubs (should link Ag teaching labs TH to that) Merge “Greening Schools” website into the GLRPPR site, http://www.greeningschools.org (John mentioned that MIT has a web site they‟ve put together as part of a consent agreement that might fit with this project.) OECA is creating another compliance assistance center for colleges and universities Would like to create a section of Spanish language resources on Topic Hubs Zerowaste – Trying to find a funding source to look at P2 planning across the country. There are 23 state programs and lots of municipal water districts. Beth suggests talking to Ann Goode, possibly foundation money or ECOS. Measurement tool Case study database On the side, Thomas sent an e-mail to five friends starting a local green drinks group. The group has met a few times and it has been very good networking. P2RIC Rick proposes spending a significant portion of time forming partnerships and marketing for P2Rx at meetings and conferences - John says this makes sense to him. Kevin sees two different issues – one is the partnering things – nationally, how do we partner. The other piece is we need to market P2Rx through our regional centers. One thing we talked about is every center putting together marketing plans for their region. We‟ll need coordination with Andy and the group on who we‟re going after and what the pitch is. Deb says folks in P2Rx could make introductions with some groups. Mike thinks it‟s a good idea – it‟s time. Deb says maybe Rick could review announcements from foundations, draft a one-pager of potential projects that would be a good fit. Need one partner that leads to funding. Elizabeth says it can be useful to have an event to invite private funders so they can learn about us. Deb says unless it‟s local to them or we‟re paying their way, they probably wouldn‟t come. Kevin says we need a relationship to get them to come. There are many foundations in Chicago, we need to know what they want. Joyce Foundation, Ford Foundation and others have specific agendas. Ed submitted a proposal to Kirsch foundation. They liked it and called Ed and helped him figure out how to get travel scholarships to the WRPPN conference. Even though the proposal wasn‟t a direct fit, the Foundation worked with Ed. Pew charitable trust is big in global warming – P2 is best strategy. John knows their global warming person. P2 is a tool to address the sexy topics out there. There may also be meetings where the foundations all are there. Rick will have to talk to Chet about what this much time marketing will mean to Region 7. All the center directors support it. Success story database at Zerowaste – will be republishing on P2RIC and adding R7 stories Measurement project is well underway H2E mercury – hosting web site, region has a task force Rehab the lab - trying to take training from Becky Wereman (Iowa) into Nebraska. Talking to the region about producing on-line training. Also working with UNO college of education to integrate this training for new teachers. Interested in weaving best practices training into insurance rates. May pursue this in other areas. Tara O‟Hare in Tom Murray‟s office is working with Rick on that. R7 has no environmental finance center, but this could work. Rick should follow up with Ed on R9 EFC Wellness programs – want to use this vehicle as an educational program that delivers measures. Will try to partner with someone and provide monthly environmental articles for their wellness newsletter Peaks Assess funding, staffing capacity, match obligation, IDC requirement and regional need for center continuation Stabilize staffing to meet p2rx demands and mature as a center Relocate server services for peakstoprairies.org Maintain current Topic Hubs and provide p2rx services Strengthen regional services and alliances Support region 8 with p2 measurement tools Seek additional funding for Tribal P2 efforts (want to hire a Native American to do this kind of work) Tribes are trying to dig out of a hole, P2 doesn‟t help. Ed says they have their own meetings. Mike thinks he needs someone to be out there networking with the tribes. Kevin thinks maybe there‟s some BIA funding. Explore with other centers topic hub enhancements related to o Consumer and youth education o Energy conservation and healthy homes for existing homes Community and local government P2 (small rural counties and cities) EMS for Ag - general and beef cattle WRPPN – Expand WRPPN services to organizations/groups with little to no prior connection to WRPPN Expand WRPPN to other areas within EPA; Develop a 5-year strategic plan; Work cooperatively with Region 10 for joint conference in „07 Work more closely with TAPs in Las Vegas and Arizona. Ed notes that partnerships require a lot of work – multiple phone calls, become friends with the partners. PPRC – PBDE fact sheets for specific industries (priority chemicals, fire retardants for yacht-making industry. Fact sheets allow boat builders to put their name on it and distribute to their supply chain. The idea it to take this to other industries. Problem with P2 coordinators wanting no original content development.) Support “Stewardship” initiatives – Carolyn is hot on this. How can P2Rx support these initiatives? Gary says this will be a regional-driven effort. Kevin wants a west-coast collaborative for stewardship. Ed says Mexican P2 roundtable wants to do a west coast collaborative. Life-cycle analysis Topic Hub – professor from UC Berkley has a lot of expertise. Case Western Reserve. Nonprofit in Seattle – Rita is doing a lot. Lean work isn‟t too far along PPRC turned the IWRC spray painting training into something paint manufacturers can deliver to their customers. The training is for any kind of metal painting. Gary says the spray gun manufacturers might be interested in this. John says auto paint manufacturers might also be interested. They use their technical services to lock shops into using their paints. PPRC developed wizards to help people step through purchase of biodisel and of copy paper. It‟s geared toward federal government. Federal network for sustainability is where it‟s housed. Other items Centers are interested in or working on – WRPPN – just completed dental office P2 website. They hired a subcontractor to do the work in the bay area. They had the dental association of CA involved. Mike says one of the major water treatment problems is grease. Peaks put together a piece on grease, oil and fats. They got together with DEQ and health dept. Folks were excited about getting the info all together. Gary mentioned a product they have in North Carolina, called the Grease Gobblin. Peaks produced prompts for use in the businesses. Gary says the key is to have it in other languages. Deb is working on restoration initiative for the Great Lakes. Region was charged with putting together subcommittees and action plans. The initiative saw GLRPPR as a resource for carrying this initiative out. GLRPPR will coordinate the Mercury phase-out strategy with the states. Another piece is a Great Lakes cities initiative. They want P2 assistance to the cities within the basin. Will do workshops and outreach within the basin to smaller cities. Work with them in subsequent years to get them to work with businesses in their city. Mayors are coming to GLRPPR wanting to build EMS. Andy said NEWMOA has a couple of big grants. Got some ORD sustainability money to look at what‟s out there in the way of materials tracking, environmental materials accounting, resource tracking systems, and try to create a single tool to do all that stuff. It will be an energy and materials tracking tool. NEWMOA is also working on abHigh Production Chemical conference. It‟s a way to let people know what data is out there, what you can learn from it, etc. The conference will be at the end of 2006 in Austin. There is travel support funding available. WRRC is looking at composting topic hub, will approach RCC for funding also. Rick wants to know whether a biodeisel plant is something we should site. Chris says there‟s a meeting on permitting these plants in Seattle on Thursday. Kevin also says air programs need to approve it as a fuel. CARB wouldn‟t let them go to biodeisel because it wasn‟t an approved fuel. Library committee When we analyzed usage of Topic Hub subsections, we found that people aren‟t getting to the references sectionubs as much as we might like. John is concerned that people would lose the overall value of the Topic Hubs, though, if we put the references on the front page; they‟d miss all the sections. The suggestion is to come up with a product that has the look and feel of P2Rx, call it “Best References.” This would be a derivative product. Centers would have to pick the top 20 or so references from their Topic Hubs. It would be similar to the industry sector pages. We could eventually take center‟s sector resources and put them into this database also. Ed wants to know how you‟d search. John says same way as for topic hubs. This would be a stand alone page. Show many ways to get to it. Include topic hub as a best reference on the list of all the references. The display could separate the list by reference type. It also gives us an opportunity to check the currency and quality of references we have on the Topic Hub. Everyone agrees this is a good idea. A lot of the searches take folks directly to the documents. John uses full text search and he keeps the documents on-line, rather than just linking off-site. Andy says the other side of the argument is that centers want to drive the traffic to the original author. It was decided to defer to the library committee for a recommendation. Partnerships Kevin brought up the Environmental Results Program (ERP). It‟s a self-certification program. It includes outreach and assistance, workshops, and materials for companies to certify whether or not they‟re in compliance. Determine top ten things that determine whether or not businesses are in compliance. Benchmarking and managing data is hardest part of this program. Some work on what a model ERP would look like. Kevin was at a meeting in Denver. Kevin thinks we should keep our eye on this because we can incorporate best practices. This is a statistically-based approach and can be valid to show compliance. Massachusetts submitted the ERP results for compliance and EPA didn‟t know what to do. Sam Silverman is advocate for what MA is doing. You do a baseline inspection and a follow-up inspection. State innovations conference in Denver. Joe Francis from Region 7 was there. Chris asked about being a contractor to OPPD. Folks suggested he be a sub to ERG and could include the other centers. Andy displayed the criteria for evaluating potential partnerships Kevin says opportunity needs to be on there. He doesn‟t want to be so rigid that we can‟t jump. Is it useful, is there probability for success? Who? About what? NIH, NSF Environmental health; library RCRA Waste minimization, recycling, energy recovery, RCC, beneficial use Trade associations Topic hubs, assemble more topics MEPs (manufacturing extension Green suppliers, green the supply chain partnerships) Procurement Technical Assistance Centers Green supply, manufacturing Regional EPA media programs Media specific P2 Dept of Defense Base footprint, multiple states Dept of Energy Losing regional centers; Energy Star General Services Administration LEED standard biodiesel State Economic development agencies Dept of Commerce, BEES? Economic analysis of building materials USDA Biobased products HUD Green buildings collaboration EPA/States Stewardship initiative; voluntary programs Fed Centers Federal facilities programs Yesterday, partnering committee talked about partnering with – RCC Risk and insurance agencies Department of Health regional information centers Wellness programs Office of the federal executive for waste reduction. Ed Panera – Elizabeth says this guy is helping farmers with EMS programs to the tune of $1-2K. Gary says he‟s looking for success stories in EMS. Dave Kling is in charge of federal centers. Let‟s offer him the news box. DOE is consolidating all their centers to two centers. Beth sent around a list for centers to identify current partners. Work more with performance track to raise the awareness of pollution prevention, raise the level of visibility. Rick goes back to business roundtable, GEMI, seechange – how do we work with those companies? Ceres is also looking at this. ORD funding for meetings is available. There‟s only $25-20K available, at one level, up to $75K. John says the place to start is to find out what the interests are of the people funding this program. Beth says just look at the criteria. Elizabeth says use the money as a starting place to build relationship. Talked about innovative technologies, consumer topic hub. We really need to look at the solicitation. Lean manufacturing. Chris is working with lean manufacturing providers in Washington and Ross and Associates who just published Lean & Environment tool kit. Chris noticed there‟s not a network of environmental service providers. Interact with lean service providers – including consultants, not just MEPs. Centers could provide the environmental contacts they need. We‟d just piggyback on lean providers – we‟re broadening who we call service providers. Rick makes the point that MEPs won‟t search outside for environmental expertise. John says MEPs are responding to their clients, who don‟t have an environmental ethic. Rick says there used to be an internal champion for this within MEP but now it‟s all gone. Hook would be GSN (Beth says). They‟re working with the MEPs already. Need to talk to Tom Murray. Thomas has been working with pretreatment coordinators for the last 18 months. He‟s been getting match and measurement from these folks. He‟s looking at a membership fee (increase) and performance-based awards program. Kevin thinks POTWs are major customer. California group is part of Water Environment Federation. They get continuing education units by going to the conference. One to two hours in length at the most. We may want to look at RCC as a potential partner. RCC guide to P2Rx that would go to the 4 regions and the national component. P2RIC will go after RCC funds with the topic of wellness. WRRC will apply with composting topics. Beneficial reuse is a focus of RCC. Foundry Sand & Coal Ash –Focus of RCC. Highlight the waste stream and beneficial reuse. P2RIC, GLRPPR & NEWMOA are coordinating. Insurance Rick is exploring opportunities and links between BMPs, safety, etc. and insurance premiums. There are twelve property casualty insurance companies that adjust their rates for companies that incorporate BMP‟s. He‟s working with meat processing folks in the region to see what they can do. Employee health, fire, and spills are all are risks. Gary said Jay Benfarado is working with this a lot. John says Liberty Mutual sends people out to plants but he doubts there is much on environmental. Rick says the short-term goal is to get engagement. Beth is looking for examples of where our materials are being used by non-P2Rx partners.