Health Care Community Organizer
Maryland Health Care for All! Coalition of the Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative
Education Fund, Inc. (Initiative) is the state’s largest coalition of health care consumers.
Our mission is to unite the power of diverse individuals, organizations and communities in active
grassroots democracy to achieve quality, affordable health care for all Marylanders. With our
1100 coalition partners, the Initiative works year round to achieve health care for all by organizing
at the grassroots, building dynamic and effective coalitions, educating voters and running issue
The Initiative is now hiring a Community Organizer to work part-time on an exciting new
campaign to build a grassroots movement for quality, affordable health care for all in Maryland.
This position is responsible for developing a strong, active base of public support for health care
for all in Maryland. This position will report to the Maryland Health Care for All! Coalition
President, Directors and Community Outreach Coordinator. This is an exciting position for an
individual with a passion for grassroots organizing and social change. This consultant position
will be compensated with a monthly stipend of $800.
The Community Organizer’s primary responsibility will be to help build a base of support for the
Initiative’s Health Care For All plan by reaching out to organizations to encourage them to sign
the new Health Care For All Resolution endorsing the Health Care For All Plan. Every month, the
Organizer will be expected to reach out to organizations and convince them to sign the
Resolution. The Organizer and the Initiative Staff shall determine goals for a number of
organizations the Organizer shall contact and convince to sign the Resolution. In achieving this
goal, the Organizer, in consultation and coordination with Initiative Staff, shall as necessary:
• Develop and carry out series of grassroots actions on health care in key communities. Actions
could include: town hall forums, press events, letter-to-the editor campaigns, lobby days.
Manage logistical details, materials development, preparation of leaders;
• Coordinate volunteer grassroots advocacy including phonebanks, doorknocks and other
• Develop grassroots leadership by training members, offering leadership roles and other
activities; to guide the organization’s grassroots work;
• Work closely with Maryland Health Care for All! Coalition policy, political, communications
and organizing staff to develop, refine, and further the health care campaign and Health Care
for All!’s overall organizing program;
• Support the growth of Health Care for All! by identifying and taking advantage of
opportunities within health care organizing to bring new members into the coalition.
• 2 or more years organizing experience, with experience in grassroots leadership development
• Familiarity with communities in Maryland and local culture
• Proven experience with issue and/or political campaigns
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to motivate diverse groups of people and work well as a team member
• Can meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment
• Excellent personal accountability and follow through
• Personal transportation
To apply: Send resume, cover letter and three references to the Initiative Staff at
email@example.com Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.