Docstoc

Minutes CAUL Executive Minutes Green Tea Extract

Document Sample
Minutes CAUL Executive Minutes  Green Tea Extract Powered By Docstoc
					.


                                        CAUL Executive Meeting 2002/4
                                                 8 July, 2002
                                     Terrace Room, University House, ANU
                                                from 9.45am
                                                          Minutes


964. Attendance & Apologies. Helen Hayes (President), John Shipp (Deputy President), Vic Elliott,
     Eve Woodberry, Madeleine McPherson. In attendance: Diane Costello. Jan Fullerton and
     David Toll from the National Library joined the meeting for an hour.
965. Minutes of the previous Executive Meeting held 6 May in Sydney. Draft minutes were
     approved as a correct record of the meeting.
966. Business arising from previous meetings not otherwise listed on the agenda.
        a)    Knowledge Management Working Group. Members confirmed that it would be
              preferable for the work proposed for this group to be managed jointly with CAUDIT and
              NCODE-FLA. This was discussed at item 977.
INFORMATION RESOURCES & SERVICES
967. Systemic Infrastructure Initiative.
        a)    Committee on Information Infrastructure Development for Australian Higher
              Education. Little feedback from CAUL members has been received to date. It was
              confirmed that research and not teaching is the primary focus of this committee. (Action:
              JS) It was also noted that there exists a funding gap for research into teaching,
              particularly now that CAUT and CUTSD have been disbanded.
                    The National Library has provided a collection overlap analysis of the Go8 libraries
              and the NLA. It was noted that this analysis, along with other recent work by CAVAL,
              had shown that collection overlap was much lower than expected. A Go8 study on Karger
              & Kluwer journals showed a high degree of overlap in core journals only. It was noted
              that uniqueness in US Ivy League institutions was around 50%. It was suggested that a
              statistically significant sample of one institution’s unique titles be examined to elicit some
              information about why it might be unique eg format, language, year of publication, etc.
                    It was agreed that more information was needed, although it was not necessarily
              urgent. A broader analysis of collections will be scoped, taking into account year of
              publication of monographs (possibly only the last 10 years), and possibly language.
              (Action: JS)
                    Further work has been commissioned from Colin Steele, coordinating a specification
              for e-print repositories with Ross Coleman; Ray Choate, coordinating a specification for a
              national store which can go to tender, not limited to existing stores; CEIRC, drafting a
              specification for the purchase of datasets. Representatives of various projects dealing with
              authentication and access managements, WALAP, COLIS AND AARLIN will be brought
              together. All proposals and specifications will be circulated to CAUL for comment, prior
              to submission to the committee, and the tender process. (Action: JS)
                    CAUL priorities are e-prints, site licences, authentication and a national store. The
              next meeting of the committee is in August.




CAUL Executive Meeting 2002/4 – 8 July, 2002 – Canberra – Minutes                                          1
968. CEIRC. Eve Woodberry reported that Elsevier representatives met with the CEIRC committee
     on June 27. They were clearly of the view that a national site licence was not an option, with
     too many variations in the requirements of the individual institutions. A possible national
     agreement with New Zealand was seen as simpler because of the number of institutions
     involved. The transition to IDEAL is likely to cost a little more in the first year, as the model
     moves to a Science Direct model, but should be cheaper than the current model over time.
       Representatives from ProQuest also attended the meeting, and offered to prepare as many
     options for a 2003 proposal as the committee wished. When received, they will be maintained
     and adjusted as usual on the CAUL web site.
       As a follow-up to the discussion on updating Tony Millett’s database of licence conditions,
     UTS has submitted a proposal to widen a project it is undertaking for its own purposes to mesh
     with CAUL’s requirements. It was noted that access to licensed material may be inhibited by
     the level of technology training, or by university network limitations, rather than by the licences
     themselves which most often permit walk-in users.
969. CAUL Industry Think Tank. Eve Woodberry reported on the Think Tank, noting that the
     industry representatives’ presentations were excellent, and kept very well to their brief. The
     final sessions, including Alex Byrne’s very clear presentation of AVCC cost allocation options,
     and Vic Elliott’s closing discussion, were also very successful. It was suggested that future
     think tanks: should not necessarily be linked with another conference but held in their own
     right; should be planned earlier to ensure that key speakers are able to attend; should only be
     held if there is a hot topic; should be held at a venue which permits a genuine round-table
     approach; should include in the invitations to industry delegates that they are all expected to
     participate in the discussion sessions. (Action: CEIRC)
970. RRA. Ray Choate was invited to make a presentation at the CASL meeting on July 5 in
     Brisbane. Jan Fullerton advised members that CASL was still interested in being involved in a
     national store. She added that previous attempts by the National Library to establish joint
     stores had shown that legal issues often made it simpler to proceed alone. It was noted that the
     ownership of the stored materials was likely to be the most contentious issue.
       Some principles of RRA were confirmed: RRA must meet university requirements; external
     capital funding is required; an annual subscription from participants should be set as low as
     possible to encourage smaller institutions with few requirements for research material to
     participate; protocols for the level/quality of material should be agreed; an acquisitions
     program is not supported; access conditions, including response time, are politically important
     and should be determined up front; Australian material may be excluded if already held in the
     National or State libraries; the successful tenderer for a national store must be prepared for
     long-term commitment, and should be selected on costs and outcomes.
971. Australian Digital Theses Program. CAUL approved the establishment of a Policy
     (Reference) Committee to report to CAUL through the Executive Committee. Nominations
     were called for 2 CAUL members for the Committee and 4 CAUL staff for the Technical
     Committee. The Executive selected nominees Janice Rickards and Alex Byrne and invited the
     latter to chair the group. Janet Fletcher (Macquarie), Mark Huppert (ANU), Peter Green
     (Curtin) and Michael Wood (Deakin) were selected from the nominations for the Technical
     Committee. CAPA has nominated its President, Leisa Ridges (Wollongong-based), and the
     National Library has nominated Pamela Gatenby. DDOGS (Deans & Directors of Graduate
     Schools) nominated Professor Mark Tennant from UTS. Tony Cargnelutti (UNSW) will
     assume the role of ADT Program Manager.
       The first meeting will be held on 31 July. One issue will be the move to membership
     subscriptions in 2003. (Action: DC)
972. Australian PhD Theses Database. Mark Finnane (Griffith University), representing DDOGS,
     invited CAUL to discuss the production of a database of Australian PhD theses. A meeting
     between Professor Finnane and representatives of the Brisbane-based universities (Carolyn
     Young, Heather Todd and Brian Reis) was arranged for 3 July. Janine Schmidt commissioned
     a background paper on current access to theses. Diane Costello reported on the outcomes of the


CAUL Executive Meeting 2002/4 – 8 July, 2002 – Canberra – Minutes                                       2
        meeting. It was noted that there had been many requests over time for such a database.
        Potential users of the database were, inter alia, research students seeking a topic not done
        before, their supervisors, and university research managers reviewing trends in research
        disciplines. It was agreed that although the bulk of theses are recorded in Kinetica, retrieval of
        them via discipline, subject heading or even university was difficult.
          It was agreed that further information was required: what information universities now, and
        over time, contribute to the NBD about their own theses, including inclusion of subject
        headings, theses notes, discipline or faculty/department; if some or all theses aren’t included,
        where can information about them be found; how many theses have been produced and are
        being produced annually; details from Kinetica about how data on theses can be extracted, in
        what format; details from ADT on the technical implications of including data extracted from
        Kinetica or elsewhere in the ADT database. It was agreed that the preference would be to
        extract data from Kinetica (rather than from 38 universities), and include it in the ADT (rather
        than a separate database). The database would ideally include abstracts and discipline codes.
        (Action: DC)
973. Database of Materials Reformatted for Library Users with Disabilities. A message to
     CAUL from Alex Byrne (24/6/02)): “Many thanks to Sue for her participation in this forum
     and this report. The results are good in their coupling of strong support for the needs of the
     vision impaired along with the practical considerations with which we must deal.
     “I believe that we should show some leadership in regard to the suggested database. Kinetica
     serves a different purpose and is not suitable. While CAL has interests in this area and must be
     involved, its agenda is rather different from that of universities and university libraries.
     “Our priority is to meet the needs of students in the most cost effective way so a method of
     sharing reformatted materials would be attractive. The distributed model adopted by ADT will,
     I believe provide a possible solution in shared access to locally held copies. It would, of
     course, need appropriate rights management software which will need to be implemented in
     consultation with CAL.”
       The Executive agreed that the size of the problem should be determined, similar to the way
     that the electronic reserve issue was examined several years ago. The latter found that there
     was very little overlap between materials required in different universities and different
     courses. It was agreed to ask Sue McKnight and Alex Byrne to scope the problem, and develop
     a proposal, including ball-park costs, for CAUL to act upon. (Action: DC) It was noted that
     CAL’s involvement is only required if reformatted material is retained, not for individual
     copies made for a disabled user.
SCHOLARLY INFORMATION
974. Scholarly Communication Working Group. Cliff Law has advised the President that he is
     unable to commit the time to this group given new responsibilities he has been assigned at
     ADFA. It was agreed that Madeleine McPherson would replace Cliff as chair. (Action:
     MMcP)
975. International Scholarly Communication Alliance. A proposed agenda has been received
     from Marianne Gaunt (ARL). Members recommended that ISCA restrict itself to one or two
     key issues for which international support would be most useful. It was noted that Derek
     Whitehead has already expressed interest in copyright and digital continuity, and agreed he
     should be invited to represent CAUL at the ISCA meeting during IFLA. (Action: DC) It was
     noted that Peter Suber’s newsletter provides a comprehensive overview of scholarly
     communication issues. It was suggested that is would be useful if the Scholarly Communication
     Working Group organised a forum to highlight the range of scholarly communication issues,
     including open archives experiences and the experience of BioMedCentral, the Public Library
     of Science and other similar organisations. (Action: MMcP)




CAUL Executive Meeting 2002/4 – 8 July, 2002 – Canberra – Minutes                                            3
BEST PRACTICE
976. Information Literacy Assessment Project. A request for approval of a revised budget was
     received from Margaret Appleton. CAUL has previously approved $13,500. A variation in the
     application of the funds, and an increased amount of $100.60 was sought, and approved by the
     Executive. (Action: DC)
977. Knowledge Management. Members discussed Ainslie Dewe’s draft proposal for a joint
     CAUL/CAUDIT/NCODE-FLA project. Some questions raised included: what knowledge is
     there and how is it used in the educational environment; what skills are needed; how can it be
     embedded in teaching; what systems are needed. Helen Hayes will expand, with reference to
     earlier discussions with CAUDIT and NCODE-FLA. (Action: HH)
ADVOCACY, MARKETING, COMMUNICATION
978. Relationships with other organisations.
        a)    AVCC. An informal meeting has been arranged between John Mullarvey and the
              Executive Committee. Some issues for discussion will include the outcomes of the
              SciFinder Scholar National Site Licence offer; the role of the AVCC in government
              publications, including spatial data; the role of the AVCC in RRA.
        b)    CAUDIT & NCODE. A joint meeting of the three executive committees is to be
              scheduled. It was agreed that the meeting should be organised, noting that not all members
              of all executives may be able to attend. (Action: DC)
                   A meeting of the full membership of the three groups is mooted to be held in
              association with EDUCAUSE IN AUSTRALASIA 2003: Expanding the Learning
              Community - Meeting the Challenges. Adelaide Convention Centre, Adelaide, South
              Australia May 6-9, 2003.
        c)    DEST.
        d)    CONZUL.
        e)    Other Australian Organisations: CASL; CSIRO; ALIA.
             i)        National Library of Australia. Jan Fullerton and David Toll joined the meeting
                  for an hour. They discussed the library’s strategic directions and recent achievements,
                  highlighting: The National Library of Australia has been commissioned by UNESCO
                  to prepare guidelines for the preservation of digital heritage and to hold an international
                  consultation meeting on associated issues – Colin Webb has been seconded to do this
                  work.; large-scale digitisation becoming routine; the purchase of large European &
                  Early English Books microform collections; a report on the redesign of the NLA web
                  site “architectures for web collection delivery”; Live Reference, now called AskNow!–
                  a real-time reference service shared with CASL, including chat facilities; a resource
                  sharing forum and field day for ILL systems & products 11-12 November; a touring
                  exhibition of “treasures of Australian libraries;” Public Libraries Australia
                  <http://www.nla.gov.au/apln/> to be incorporated with an Executive Director; still
                  looking for more university partners for PictureAustralia; a guide for Commonwealth
                  agencies “keeping government publications online”
                  http://www.nla.gov.au/guidelines/govpubs.html
                       It was noted that there were many ways in which Kinetica could be used as a data
                  source, eg extracting data for specialised databases such as manuscripts, with more
                  user-friendly interfaces.
                       It was recommended that the Executive meet with the National Library
                  management annually if possible.




CAUL Executive Meeting 2002/4 – 8 July, 2002 – Canberra – Minutes                                           4
               (1) NLA. Kinetica Advisory Committee. Nominations from CAUL members or their
                   deputies or associates to replace Helen Livingston as CAUL representative on the
                   KAC were due 5 July. Three were received. The Executive recommended that John
                   Arfield be invited to represent CAUL, for a term of two years, bringing this role into
                   line with other CAUL representative positions. (Action: DC)
        f)    Other International Organisations. ARL; SPARC; CARL; JULAC; CURL;
              SCONUL. Members of the NBVF (Nordic librarians) have been touring Australia, and
              have received feedback that CAUL members are interested in a return visit to Scandinavia.
              If CAUL was interested, the NBVF would be pleased to host. (Poul Erlandsen, 12/6/02)
              The Executive recommended holding this over until at least next year.
979. Government Inquiries.
        a)    Higher Education at the Crossroads. Minister for Education Science & Training. This
              is part of the broader review of higher education. It was noted that the CAUL submission
              was relatively discursive, which was appropriate given the information-gathering nature of
              this inquiry.
        b)    Striving for quality: teaching, learning and scholarship. Minister for Education,
              Science & Training. Submissions responding to this discussion paper are due 13
              September. This is part of the broader review of higher education. It was agreed that
              Helen Hayes would review the paper in preparation for a CAUL response, noting
              particularly the role of libraries in information literacy, lifelong learning & graduate
              attributes. (Action: HH)
        c)    Inquiry into the Role of Libraries in the Online Environment. Senate Environment,
              Communications, Information Technology and the Arts References Committee.
              Submissions are due 16 August 2002.
                   Jan Fullerton advised members that the inquiry arose from an interest in national
              information policy by members of the National Library Council. The NLA response will
              address:
              connectivity – access by all Australians to the Internet;
              resources – access to resources at least through public libraries;
              competence – all Australians to have the skills to acquire and use information;
              standardisation – of public library services, and the “single system” of libraries, and how it
              could be made more effective.
                   Sandra Henderson (NLA) has recommended that members of the Peak Bodies Forum
              share with each other the outline of their submissions to this inquiry. It was agreed that
              Madeleine McPherson would draft a CAUL response, taking into account the role of
              libraries in information literacy and lifelong learning, the role of joint-use libraries, the
              commodification and marketing of knowledge, and noting some limitations imposed on
              services to under-18 members of the public. It was noted that universities do make a
              contribution, but public libraries play the largest role. (Action: MMcP)
980. Communication. (Standing item)
        a)    CAUL 2001 Report. The President’s Office has finalised editing, printing and
              distribution. Copies were distributed to CAUL members, Vice-Chancellors, the AVCC
              secretariat, CASL and DEST. It was noted that within some universities, CAUL members
              were forwarded the copies intended for university administrators, and were required to re-
              address them individually to appropriate personnel. It was suggested that individual
              mailings be used in the future, taking names from the AVCC’s lists of senior staff etc.
              (Action: DC)
        b)    Communication with CAUL.
        c)    Public Relations/Media Reports. It was agreed that when important announcements
              needed to be made, appropriate funds should be allocated for “launching.”



CAUL Executive Meeting 2002/4 – 8 July, 2002 – Canberra – Minutes                                           5
        d)    Executive Officer’s Report. Since the Executive meeting on May 6, the Executive
              Officer, CAUL has been involved in the following:
             i)         CAUL Industry Think Tank arrangements & presentation, publication of
                    presentations; CEIRC Committee organisation & participation; ULA working group
                    meeting to draft a proposal for the review of the program;
             ii)        attendance at ALIA2002; ATEM seminar on risk management (the main risk for
                    CAUL appears to be any potential for budget blow-outs eg higher than expected travel
                    costs due to more restrictive Qantas practices); Canberra Research Priorities forum;
                    Canberra launch of the ABS Census 2001;
             iii)        meetings with representatives of Informata (Bibliostat Collect & Bibliostat
                    Connect – products which could be used for collecting and displaying CAUL
                    statistics); Paul Ayris (CURL, University College London) on the ISCA agenda,
                    including IP and copyright, SPARC & CreateChange; Mark Garlinghouse & Jeroen
                    Prinsen from ISI; Peter Monaghan from Capital Monitor; Felicity McGregor & staff
                    and web developer Mark Huppert on CAUL Best Practice web pages
             iv)        finalisation of deeming list for collection of CAUL statistics on electronic
                    resources;
             v)         final amendments and preparation of CAUL Report 2001;
             vi)         presentation at IATUL in Kansas City, Missouri on CAUL; presentation to
                    Scandinavian Tour Group on consortial purchasing; presentation at, and participation
                    in the planning and conduct of, the AVCC Library Staff Development Conference.
981. CAUL Finances.
        a)    Audit of 2001 Accounts. The audit finalisation is awaiting complete clarification of the
              GST owing to CAUL.
        b)    CAUL budget 2002. Since the last Executive Meeting, additions to the draft budget
              include Ray Choate’s attendance at the July CASL meeting to make a presentation on
              RRA, a salary increase for Margaret Richardson in line with ANU increases over the last
              12 months (total cost including GST and on-costs $2,500 per year).
                    An acquittal form for the last $29,000 for the Authentication Project has been
              received from DEST.
                    It is expected that CAUL meeting costs, including those for the Executive Committee
              and CEIRC, will be higher than expected this year. The limited fare options, restricted
              airline options and Qantas’s new hard line against allowing members to travel on earlier
              than the booked flights, are reducing our ability to make last minute changes without
              penalty as we have been able to do before. Hence we will be paying more for fares up
              front.
                    A meeting of the ULA working group will be required to prepare a report on the
              review. It is recommended that the meeting be held in Sydney, with members flying in for
              the day, with the exception of the WAGUL representative. A ball-park figure would be
              $5,000. This was approved. (Action: DC)




CAUL Executive Meeting 2002/4 – 8 July, 2002 – Canberra – Minutes                                          6
982. CAUL Meeting 2002/2. Joint meeting with CONZUL. Dunedin, 12-13 September.
     Recommended speakers include Tom Ruthven, National Library of Australia on the Document
     Delivery Benchmarking Study. It was suggested that the agenda for the planned NLA seminar
     on document delivery systems might supersede the need to include document delivery on the
     meeting agenda. Diane Costello will follow up, and discuss with Tom Ruthven. (Action: DC)
      The seminar on building design is now back on the agenda, with the consultant proposed by
     Michael Wooliscroft. CONZUL has been invited to recommend items for the agenda. Isobel
     Mosley suggested that CONZUL members were potentially interested in participating in the
     Australian Digital Theses program, and recommended adding it to the agenda for discussion.
     (Action: DC)
      It was agreed to slot in a demonstration of AARLIN if project managers were available.
     (Action: VE) A draft agenda will be circulated as soon as possible. (Action: DC)
983. CAUL Meeting 2003/1. Melbourne 10-11 April. Recommended speakers include Dr Peter
     Shergold, DEST. Doreen Parker has obtained quotes for using the VU Flinders Street Campus.
     VU charges commercial rates for its venues and uses outside caterers – the quote for two days,
     with two lunches and 4 tea breaks, works out at $125 per person, approximately twice the cost
     of recent meetings. Helen Hayes has offered the University of Melbourne as an alternate
     venue, and will confirm the availability of the Council Chamber. She will discuss joint
     arrangements for the meeting with Doreen Parker. (Action: HH) It was noted that the cost of
     the UWA meeting was higher than usual due to the cost of transport from city hotels to meeting
     and dining venues, and the lunchtime opening of the new library. This will be taken into
     account in selecting future dinner venues. (Action: DC)
984. CAUL Meeting 2003/2. James Cook University, Cairns. 8-9 September, 2003. These dates
     were confirmed. (Action: DC)
985. Forthcoming Executive Meetings. The following are tentative dates.
        a)    2002 September 12, CAUL/CONZUL Meeting in Dunedin
        b)    2002 November 18, Monday (subsequently rescheduled to 11 November 2002,
              Melbourne)
986. Other business.
        a)    Australian Libraries Copyright Committee. Eve Woodberry alerted members to
              specific agenda items for the forthcoming meeting. The meeting will also discuss the
              Senate inquiry into the role of libraries in online services.
        b)    Information Literacy. It was noted that NCODE-FLA is keen to hold a workshop for
              academic staff on embedding information literacy into the curriculum. Helen Hayes will
              follow up the outcomes of the recent conference on information literacy held at CQU.
              (Action: HH)
                   It was suggested that CAUL recommend that information literacy be included in the
              AUQA quality forum being held later this year. (Action: DC)
The meeting concluded at 4pm. John Mullarvey, CEO of the AVCC, and Paul Stubing, IT Policy,
joined members for an informal discussion.




CAUL Executive Meeting 2002/4 – 8 July, 2002 – Canberra – Minutes                                      7

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:6
posted:7/18/2010
language:English
pages:7
Description: Minutes CAUL Executive Minutes Green Tea Extract