GENEALOGY in 2020
A report from the future
The Virtual Dinner Party.
What it looks like, and how it feels
Which ancestors would you invite?
• Lilburn Scott (1839-1922)
• Francis Marion Bobo (1852-1931)
• His wife, Matilda Littrell Bobo (1856-1940)
• Jonathan Sharbrough (1734-1771)
• Why did you name your son Lincoln in
1867 in Illinois?
• Tell me about the Oklahoma run where you
floated the wagons across the river.
• Tell me about living in Indian Territory.
Francis Marion Bobo
• Tell me about that trip your grandmother
made into Kansas.
• Tell me about playing the fiddle.
• Tell me how the four Arkansas
grandparents ended up in the same
Matilda “Tildy” Littrell
• Tell me about how your mother got by after
• Tell me what you can remember about your
• Tell me the truth about how the four of you
ended up in the same cemetery.
• How many sons DID you have anyway?
• Can you tell me about life with your family
there in Pasquotank County?
• Who was Tamar Ivey?
• Did you ever grow indigo? Tobacco?
The Virtual Dinner Party
• How they do it
• Mixing info about me, history, etc.
• Merging the General with the
• How did people dress, eat or curse?
How did great granddad dress, eat,
Must kill Jar Jar Binks.
. I also Give to my Son John Sharbrough halfe the Land I bought of John Smithson on
Name side God Amen I but if my do son Sharbrough
In thethe Eastermost of to him & his heirs Forever,Jonathan John Sharbrough dye in of
his Minority, or
of all the Land said to John, ProvinceAssigns Forever, Joseph
Pasquotank then him his heirs & is that my Son but
the County havenot Dispose ofGivenLand &tomy will and Desireof North if
my Two Sons John and Jonathan of die without Disposing their Land then mind
Carolina Farmer beingshould good healthof& soundmy will
& Desire is
thanksthe Forever. Eldest Jonathan the same between of to
be next But if for Equally divided do this
& Memory that it fall assignsTwoto GodBoys to beDie only without Disposingthemhis
them & their Heirs &
Land then of & Desire is that his Land fall Joseph of our Lord to
Fourth daymy willNovember din the toyear Sharbrough and do along One
the next Eldest to him Living to him his heirs and assigns Forever.
Thousand Seven Hundred & Seventy One, make
Constitute & Publish this my last Will & Testament in
manner Following Viz .....................
Imprimus I give and bequeath to
my Son John Sharbrough the
Land I bought of Edward Wharton
Senior and Part the land whereon I
now Live Bounded as Follows ...
Further my Will is that the do Land
be Rented out for the Term of Five
years from the date hereof as the
discression of my Executors and
the money arising therefrom to be
Equally divided among my Four
I give and bequeath to my Son
Jonathan Sharbrough All my Land that
is not before Given to his Brother John
Sharbrough to him & his heirs forever
but that he shall not disturb his Mother
in the use I have already Mentioned to
her in the said Land;
I also Give to my Son John Sharbrough halfe the Land
I bought of John Smithson on the Eastermost side to
him & his heirs Forever, but if my do son John
Sharbrough dye in his Minority, or not Dispose of said
Land then my will and Desire is that my Son Joseph
Sharbrough have all the Land Given to John, to him his
heirs & Assigns Forever, but if my Two Sons John and
Jonathan should die without Disposing of their Land
then my will & Desire is that it fall to the Two next
Eldest Boys to be Equally divided between them to
them & their Heirs & assigns Forever. But if Jonathan
Die only without Disposing of his Land then my will &
Desire is that his do Land fall to Joseph Sharbrough and
do along to the next Eldest to him Living to him his
heirs and assigns Forever.
… my will is that all the Remainder of my Estate be
sold at Public Vendue for Twelve Months Credit
and the Money Arising to be Equally Divided
among my Four youngest Children and if any of
my Four Youngest Children die before of age ye
Survivers to have the Deceaseds Part.
Jonathan Sharbrough’s Children
• Joseph relationships are very
• Jehu complicated and will
not offer simple
• ? challenges.
Now I’m the ancestor.
I recently attended a virtual reunion
where my descendents, fresh off
parole, conjured up a virtual likeness
What did they ask me?
• Who shot JR?
• What was the Bomb like?
• How did you meet great-grandmother?
• What was your horse’s name?
What did the gholem tell them?
• That I liked Rolling Stones’ music.
• That I wore disco clothes in the 70s.
• That I was twins with James Bryan
• That I got rich in the Great Bear Market.
• That I used primitive computers that you
had to type on.
What’s wrong with this picture?
•The things that were wrong
•Will they do it wrong?
Too much generalization
Not enough specifics
Are we doing it wrong a lot of
Connecting the dots
Birth 2 Space
Connecting the Dots
the Right Way