GRANT MAKING AND VENTURE PHILANTHROPY
Seeking Business Plans for Social Enterprise
Addressing Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Promotion
FORMAT GUIDELINES FOR LETTERS OF INTENT
• Use 1” margins on all sides of the page.
• Use 12 point type, Times or similar font.
• Lines should be single-spaced within paragraphs.
• Insert a blank line between paragraphs.
Cover Page. Maximum one page in length, to include:
• Brief title of intended project / activity.
• Organization’s name and contact information (full address, including mailing address if
different, and telephone, fax, and Web address)
• Organization’s federal tax-exempt number.
• Primary Contact / Principal Investigator name, title, and contact information (telephone,
fax, e-mail). The person must be the contract signatory and financial manager of the
• Signature of Primary Contact / Principal Investigator.
• Approval signature of organization’s Financial Officer (if different from PI).
Executive Summary. Maximum of two pages, to include:
• Provide a brief organizational overview, mission/vision, history and description of relevant
• Social Enterprise Business Plan, describing:
a. The issue/need this social enterprise addresses and its relationship to the parent
b. Description of social enterprise – how will your innovative and entrepreneurial
project impact a double bottom line (financial sustainability and social impact).
c. Market analysis: the target population, approximate number of individuals, and
geographic area that will benefit from this proposal. What is the competitive
advantage of this enterprise? What are the pricing and promotions strategies?
d. What do you hope to accomplish, including tangible outputs and/or outcomes?
e. How you intend to accomplish the above? What is your operational plan?
f. Evaluation / assessment – financial and social impact projections.
g. How will this enterprise be sustained?
• If applicable, give the names of partners on the project and describe their respective roles.
Budget and Financial Projections. Maximum of one page.
• Personnel and supplies
• Current and pending sources of funding, their respective amounts, and their relationship to
the proposed activity.
Submission of Documents:
• Deadline for submissions is 10 April 2007.
• Send one signed paper copy of the completed letter of intent (LOI) to the foundation Grants
Director at the address below; submissions must be postmarked before the deadline.
• Send an electronic version of all LOI documents in a single PDF file via email to
grants@CarsonJSpencer.org. Electronic files must be received before the deadline.
Please review our Grant Guidelines for more information about eligibility our grant making
goals and objectives. This document and others to assist you with preparing a competitive
proposal may be found online at
Questions may be directed via email to the Grants Director:
Dr. Robert Humston
Grant Director – Carson J Spencer Foundation
P.O. Box 351418
Westminster, CO 80035