Scott Allred Breast lifts

Document Sample
Scott Allred  Breast lifts Powered By Docstoc
The following is a compilation of biographies, each
honoring an individual whose struggle with his or her
sexual identity was at odds with the views of the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Unable to reconcile the
two, each of these individuals, sadly, cut his or her life

Our hope is to keep their memories alive through this
heartfelt tribute, and to demonstrate how terribly
destructive the force of misunderstanding can be. Only
through understanding and accepting the human dignity of
every person can we begin to heal, or have any hope to live
together in harmony.

All material contained herein has been compiled from
information currently available on the website of
Affirmation: Gay & Lesbian Mormons. Some biographies,
including names and dates, are incomplete. If you have any
information concerning the lives of individuals mentioned
here, please contact Affirmation.

                  Compiled by Dean M. Harpster
                  Marriage Equality Silicon Valley
Scott Allred ( –1989?)
If you have information about Scott, please send us an email   .
V. Martel Anderson (1970–1991)
Bountiful — Vernon Martel Anderson, age 21, passed away October 26, 1991 at his
home. Born August 27, 1970 in Granger, Utah, son of Vernon R. and Peggy O'Neill
Anderson. He graduated from Bountiful High School in 1988. He attended the University
of Utah for 2 years. Was employed by A.R.U.P. [Associated Regional and University
Pathologists, Inc. laboratories at the University of Utah] and enjoyed his work very much.

Survived by his parents; grandmother, Vera K. Anderson; sisters, Jamie K. Pace and
Christopher Baker; Julie Ann Anderson. Preceded in death by grandparents Ilene O'Neill
Bridges and Oliver Martel Anderson.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday October 30, 1991 at 1 p.m. in the Russon Bros.
Bountiful Mortuary, 295 No. Main, where friends may call Tuesday evening 6-8 p.m. and
Wednesday one hour prior to the services. Interment Bountiful City Cemetery.
                    William Burton Badger (1925–1988)
                    William Burton Badger was born on October 24, 1925, in Holden,
                    Utah. He was baptized in the LDS Church on November 5, 1933. He
                    married in Salt Lake City on June 6, 1950, and had four sons. Later
                    he divorced. William was a teacher, working in the Alpine, Salt
                    Lake City, Millard, and Davis County school districts. He was a
                    member of the Metropolitan Community Church.

                    William committed suicide on July 3, 1988, in Salt Lake City. He
                    was 62 years old.

William is buried at the Orem City Cemetery in Utah.
Daniel Adam Britsch (1973–1993)
Daniel Adam Britsch was born September 14, 1973 in Ogden, Utah, and was adopted by
his parents at six days of age. He was educated in Provo City high schools and attended
Utah Valley State College for a brief time. At the time of his suicide he was employed by
the law firm of Beus, Gilbert and Morrill of Phoenix, Arizona.

Dan was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and he received his
Life Award in the Boys Scouts of America. He was interested in nature, reading, the
German language and European culture. He spent two six-month periods with the
Brigham Young University study abroad program in London, England, with his family,
and he traveled in Europe two additional times.

Dan was survived by his parents, his sister and brother-in-law and their children, his
grandparents, and numerous uncles, aunts, and cousins. His close friend Michael Bergin
passed away in 2003.

Dan committed suicide in Tempe, Arizona, on October 2, 1993. He was 20 years old. He
is buried at East Lawn Memorial Hills in Provo.

His close friend Michael Bergin wrote the following: "[Daniel was] my best
friend/roommate since we became friends in 4th grade at Edgemont Elementary school in
northeast Provo, Utah, in the mid-80's and later at the Waterfront/Meridian (a private
school)... To be honest, I'm very emotional at the moment… because of the remembrance
of his death…. I don't have the [energy] to write anymore at this point without crying…
His death prevented mine."

Johnson, Mary Lynn. "The Brothers Britsch—Uncommon Loyalty           ." BYU Magazine,
Summer 2001, pp. 28-33; see especially page 32.
               Duane F. Catten Jr. (1965–2001)
            A gentle spirit has left this world September 24, 2001 to reach his highest
            destiny. Duane was born Dec. 31, 1965. Those who knew him shared his
            humor, his dedication and most of all his love. He will be greatly missed
            by those he left behind, but he will be waiting on the other side with his
            gentle, outreached hand to lead us on our infinite journey. He graduated
            from Kearns High School, had a Degree in Electronics and was a loyal
Honeywell Employee.

Duane is survived by his parents, sisters, and dearest friend, along with numerous
nephews. He is buried at Valley View Memorial Park in West Valley City, Utah.
Mark Coon (1957-1982)
Mark Allan Coon was born October 10, 1957 in Salt Lake City to Arnold and Arlene
Coon and he died December 31, 1982.
Michael J. Green (1961–1986)
Michael J. Green was born on June 26, 1961, and committed suicide on January 10, 1986.

Tribute by Connell O'Donovan:

My Gay LDS cousin Michael J. Green committed suicide on January 10, 1986. He
parked his truck outside of a tavern in Clearfield, Utah, where he lived (I don't think it
was a Gay tavern), and shot himself to death in his truck.

Michael was born June 26, 1961 in Ogden, Utah to Ralph Jay Green and Mary Penman.
By birth, he was my third cousin through the Beazer line, but then my grandmother
Beazer married his grandfather (Ralph Beazer Green) about 1974, after the deaths of their
spouses, and so by marriage Michael and I became first cousins. I remember sitting in our
grandparents' new motor home in the summer of 1975, talking about our homosexuality,
both of us very confused and terrified. As badly off as I was, I remember he was even
worse — he always had huge dark circles under his eyes because he couldn't sleep at
night, so tormented was he about his sexuality, and later we got into a huge fight about it.

After both our grandparents died (his grandfather in March 1976 and my grandmother in
June 1976), we never spoke again. He was buried in the Syracuse City Cemetery in Utah
on January 15, 1986. I sincerely hope at last he found the peace he never could find here
on earth.
                       Farrell Rollins Hurst (1952–1986)
Farrell Rollins Hurst was born on September 23, 1952, in Delta, Millard County, Utah to
Elden and Josephine Hurst. He attended East High in Salt Lake City and graduated from
the University of Utah with a degree in music education. He attended the Music
Academy of the West in Santa Barbara, California. He was an accomplished violinist and

Farrell willingly gave of his time and talents to serve in the community. He was skilled at
home restoration and refurbishing, and he built and rebuilt musical instruments.

Farrell taught music privately and at East Community School. He served an LDS mission
in Taiwan. He organized the Yale Ward Strings and was a member of the Bonneville
Strings. At the time of his death he was serving as the Yale Ward priesthood and choir
organist and as the Salt Lake Bonneville Stake organist.

Farrell committed suicide on January 9, 1986. He was 33 years old.

Farrell is buried at the Mountain Green Cemetery in Morgan County, Utah.

Tribute prepared by his family

Farrell R Hurst was born on September 23, 1952 and died on January 9th, 1986 at the age
of 33. He is survived by his parents, 4 brothers, 5 sisters, and numerous nieces and

Farrell loved the Lord and served Him through music. He attended church regularly and
played the organ for Sacrament and Priesthood meetings. He was also a member of the
Yale Ward Strings, Bonneville Strings, and the Mormon Youth Symphony and served as
Stake Organist at the time of his death. He organized and played in string quartets
throughout his high school and college days. We often asked him to provide some of the
music for family weddings and social events.

Farrell was also a very talented craftsman who spent hours restoring the wood in his
parent's home to its natural beauty. He and a brother restored several player pianos while
still in high school. He also restored a reed organ for his parents and kept the ward pipe
organ in tune and in good repair. He built several musical instruments, including a
harpsichord. They all stand as monuments to his attention to the finest details.

Farrell loved the Chinese people and served a full-time mission in Taiwan. Years later, he
spent a month touring Mainland China and auditioned for the Chinese symphony.

Farrell married the love of his life, Mary, on the first grade playground during recess. We
moved away two years later and they remained good friends throughout his life. It was in
letters he sent her during high school, shared with us before his funeral, that he first
described having symptoms of depression. At times, he seemed distant and sought
solitude or the company of friends instead of family. We cannot imagine what feelings or
thoughts he may have had. Farrell was a very private man who also loved his moments in
the spotlight.

We did not recognize the depression. We saw the happy times, the performances of
"Swine Lake" in his living room, his Annual Spring Soirée, the Pizza Party sleepover for
his nephews and nieces, the Hawaiian Luau in his backyard canyon, the "Birthday
Funeral" delivery messenger in tuxedo tails and striped shorts, and the pot luck funeral
for "Hitler's Revenge" as the tow truck hauled it away. He brightened our days, but at
times, he pushed us away.

His death ended whatever earthly pains he was experiencing at that time, but left many
unanswered questions for those he left behind. We miss him. A part of us died, too, on
that cold, hazy day in January. We are thankful for the atonement of Jesus Christ, through
which we can all be resurrected. When we meet again, we have a lot to talk about.

In loving memory,

His family
                          Jon Michael Inman (1969–1995)
                          Jon Michael Inman was born on June 12, 1969, in Salt Lake
                          City. He graduated from Woods Cross High School, where he
                          sang in the school choir and served as the manager of the
                          basketball team. Jon was an Eagle Scout and served an LDS
                          mission in Houston, Texas. He worked in the telephone
                          industry. He had many friends and was loved by all who knew

                          Jon's parents knew he was gay since the age of four, and when
                          he came out to them they were supportive. Jon was a member
                          of Affirmation, a member of the Metropolitan Community
                          Church, and a volunteer at the Utah Stonewall Center.

Jon committed suicide on November 12, 1995, in Bountiful. He was 26 years old.

Jon is buried at the Bountiful Cemetery in Utah.
                             Scot A. Jensen (1975–2005)
                             Scot Jensen was born August 30, 1975.

                            A returned LDS missionary, Scot flew the rainbow flag at
                            his home. He was known for his huge heart that had enough
                            room to fit the entire world in it. He was a compassionate
                            and caring individual, who was a true gift to know. He had a
                            laugh that will never be forgotten and a smile to match. He
                            was a great friend to everyone and deeply loved his family
                            and friends. He was a loving brother and will be sorely
                            missed by each of his nieces and nephews, whom he spoiled
                            rotten every chance he had. He was taken from us far too
soon, but we all take comfort knowing he has moved on to a better place, where he can be
at peace with himself and watch over and protect his loved ones.

Scot was the fifth child, the youngest brother of six children. He committed suicide on
June 6, 2005 at the age of 29. He is survived by his parents, sisters, brothers, 14 nieces
and nephews, one great-niece, and countless friends.

Funeral services were held June 11, 2005 at Larkin Sunset Gardens Mortuary in Sandy,

Tribute by Patricia

Scotty was a missionary in France, where I live. He had a nice smile and a beautiful
personality. He was so sweet. I loved his laugh. He was so funny and so "cuddly"—like a
teddy bear. He was always ready to help you.

I have many good memories of the good times we shared. He was at my home for
Christmas and for New Year's Eve, and his companion was sick. I remember how we
cried when he left for a new town. He loved Alanis Morisette (I bought him her last CD)
and Elie Kakou.

In August 1997, we celebrated his birthday and mine together. It was the last time I saw
him. He was a good missionary and a nice companion. My children loved him, too. The
last time I hear from him was in 2004, when he called me and gave me his email address.
But my whole life was a real mess at that time, my husband was leaving me and I lost his
address when I moved on.

For his birthday I gave him a book by the French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupéry—Le
petit prince (The Little Prince). I wrote something for him on it—a quote of the book
about friendship taken from the dialogue between the Little Prince and the fox.
I have a lot of gay friends and when I met him as a missionary I thought he too was gay,
but I never talked to him about it. Now I'm so sorry I didn't.

When I read about his passing, I was heartbroken, and cried so much I couldn't even see
the keyboard. He was loved and cherished by our family and I’ll always have a special
place in my heart for him.
                                      Brad Lauritzen (1947–1971)
                                      The son of Gilbert Fay and Lucy Pettingill
                                      Lauritzen, Brad G. Lauritzen born in Brigham
                                      City, Utah on October 26, 1947.

                                      In 1966, Brad registered in Brigham Young
                                      University's Study Abroad Program and spent a
                                      semester in Grenoble, France.

                                        While a student at BYU, Brad became affiliated
                                        with a social group for gay people in 1967 and
                                        early 1968 that met regularly in the ―step down
    Brad Lauritzen, circa 1965          lounge‖ at the Wilkinson Center. Brad was outed
                                        by Donald Attridge, another gay student, in the
                                        early spring of 1968. Attridge had turned in a
lengthy list of names to Apostle Spencer Kimball after receiving assurances from both
BYU's head of Standards Office, Kenneth Lauritzen (no relation to Brad), and Kimball
that those on the list would be ―helped‖ by Kimball.

Instead, Brad was hospitalized in the psychiatric ward of a mental institution by his
family. He later escaped and ran away to San Francisco, where he committed suicide just
before Christmas, on December 18, 1971. He was 24 years old.
                              Carlyle D. Marsden (1921–1976)
                              Carlyle Davenport Marsden was born on December 9, 1921,
                              in Parowan, Utah. He was the son of William and Della Jane
                              Marsden. He was survived by his widow, three sons and two
                              daughters, 10 grandchildren, two brothers and four sisters.

                              He had been a music teacher at Eisenhower Junior High
                              School in the Granite School District in Salt Lake, and also
                              taught at Brigham Young University.

                              He was a veteran of World War II, serving in the Army in
                              the Pacific Theater.

He attended the College of Southern Utah in Cedar City for two years, and received his
bachelor degree from Brigham Young University and his masters degree from the
University of Utah. He also did graduate work at Claremont College, Occidental and Cal
State in Los Angeles, California.

He had filled an LDS Mission in the New England States and had been a member of the
bishopric and high council in Pomona, Calif. He had been music regional representative,
stake and ward organist, and stake choir director. He had also been Sunday School
superintendent in Salt Lake City.

Carlyle was outed in March 1976. This led him to take his own life on March 8, 1976. He
was 54 years old.

Carlyle is buried at the Kaysville City Cemetery in Utah.

Carlyle's grandson Douglas Stewart was a gay Mormon and sadly committed suicide on
March 8, 2006, exactly 30 years to the day his grandfather committed suicide.

Tribute by a Former Student

I recently came across the information in your website listing Carlyle D. Marsden as one
of the LDS members that committed suicide back in 1976 after he was outed as a

I am writing to tell you that in 1963-1964 he was my music teacher at Fremont Junior
High school in Pomona California. I am now 56 years old and living in Salem, Oregon
but I will never forget that man. He taught the best vocal music class I have ever
attended. He had written an arrangement for a song called ―Master, the Tempest is
Raging‖ I have a recording of our choir singing it with him directing, somewhere deep in
my garage.
Mr. Marsden was a great believer in the use of the diaphragm when singing and I have
since taught this method, just as he did, to my students. I was horrified that this gentle,
wonderful, talented, man ended his life feeling so alone and ashamed of himself.

I have remembered him so well and so long because of his dedication and talent as a
music teacher. He was caring, and nurturing. He gave us strength just by his presence. I
can recount far too many wonderful things that he said and did for us as a class to even
begin to put them here in this letter to you.

I just though you should know that what you have done on your website is a wonderful
memorial to these people. There is not a week that goes by that I have not thought of Mr.
Marsden since my junior high school years. I always wanted to be just like him, calm,
cool collected and kind to all.

I hope his family knows how many lives he touched in a good and gentle way, yet with
the strength of a great leader.

So very sad to hear his life ended this way. Thank you for your excellent work in making
this horrible truth known.

                              Clifford Warren Martell (1951–2000)
                              Clifford Warren Martell was born November 20, 1951, in
                              Provo. He graduated from Provo High School and received a
                              B.S. and M.A. from Brigham Young University. He served
                              an LDS mission in Thailand. Before his death, Ciff was
                              teaching sixth grade at Timpanogos Elementary School
                              where he was Teacher of the Year for several years and was
                              in Who's Who Among American Teachers.

                             Cliff married in the Manti Temple on August 6, 1976, and
                             was blessed with six beautiful children, who were the joy of
                             his life. Cliff was a blessing to the world, spreading sunshine
                             and love. He was active in the Mormon Church and was the
executive secretary in his Hillcrest 6th Ward, in Orem, Utah. He helped people before
they asked and will be missed by all who knew him. When he died, his family and
colleagues helped set up the Cliff Martell Memorial Fund to benefit Timpanogos
Elementary School.

Cliff was survived by his wife and their six children, his parents, his sisters, and his

Cliff committed suicide in the Western Desert, near Tooele, on March 4, 2000. He was
48 years old.

Cliff is buried at the Evergreen Cemetery in Springville, Utah.


"Beloved Teacher's Death a Suicide," The Daily Herald, Wednesday, March 15, 2000, p.
                             Henry Stuart Matis (1967–2000)
                             On February 25, 2000, Stuart Matis drove to the LDS chapel
                             in Los Altos, California, and took his life. He was frustrated
                             by the efforts by the LDS Church to pass Proposition 22, and
                             he felt that he could not reconcile his religion and his
                             homosexuality. He was 32 years old.

                             After high school, Stuart enrolled in BYU and served a
                             mission in Italy (where he met Clay Whitmer). After
                             graduation, in 1996, he started to work for Andersen
Consulting in California.

Stuart left a suicide note in which he requested that there not be a funeral, because he
wanted to be remembered alive. But his mother said that so many people came to her
home and expressed love and told them that they needed to use the occasion to educate
people about homosexuality, that they decided to hold the funeral.

The day of the funeral the chapel was full. The speakers were Stuart's mother, his father,
and Robert Rees. Stuart's mother talked about the hurtful things people say about
homosexuals. She said that we need to be more tolerant toward all of God's children.
Affirmation: Gay and Lesbian Mormons held a service in Salt Lake City. On March 19,
2000, in the middle of a raging snowstorm, 200 people and the Salt Lake Men's Choir
gave tribute to Stuart and to DJ Thompson.

Stuart hoped that greater understanding would come from his death. His suicide letter
reassured his parents of his love for them and talked about what wonderful parents they
were. He said that he was at peace with himself and was freed from the chains of his

Stuart is buried at the Orem City Cemetery in Utah.

His brother Bill wrote the following: "To those who feel that my brother was no better
than a murderer or an adulterer, I would like to say that the murderer and adulterer
choose to be what they are. My brother didn't choose to be homosexual any more than
you or I chose the color of our skin. Many who knew him say that he was one of the most
Christ-like people they had ever met. He was a son, brother, uncle, nephew, cousin and
true friend."

Words by Stuart:

"I implore the students at BYU [Brigham Young University] to re-assess their
homophobic feelings. Seek to understand first before you make comments. We have the
same needs as you. We desire to love and be loved. We desire to live our lives with
happiness. We are not a threat to you or your families. We are your sons, daughters,
brothers, sisters, neighbors, co-workers and friends, and most importantly, we are all
children of God."
                                    Marshall Jacob Myers (1983–2008)
                                    During his brief 25 years, Marshall loved, inspired,
                                    challenged, and cajoled us to love him
                                    unconditionally. We will always remember him for
                                    his loving nature, his creativity in art and words, his
                                    generosity, and loyalty to family and friends.

                                   Marshall had eclectic taste in music, was working
                                   towards a degree in Chemical Engineering at the
                                   University of Utah, enjoyed gardening, hiking, seeing
                                   the world, and spending time with his friends. He
                                   spoke Latin, dabbled in oil painting, was an
                                   experienced tarot card reader, and loved
experimenting with spices and flavors in the kitchen.

A deeply spiritual person, Marshall sought enlightenment from religious and
philosophical traditions from around the world. His was not the easiest journey through
life. He confronted challenges many people twice his age have never seen. We wish him
peace and joy in the next phase of his soul's journey. He is survived by his parents and his
two sisters. Preceded in death by his brother Jeremy.

Marshall Jacob Myers committe suicide on April 28th, 2008. Family and friends gathered
shortly after to celebrate his life. No formal funeral services were held, but a
commemorative headstone will be placed in Larkin Sunset Gardens in Sandy, Utah.
                                   Jacob Lawrence Orosco (1980–
                                    Although Jacob Orosco wasn't a Mormon, he lived in
                                    Utah, a state where the teachings of the LDS Church
                                    profoundly influence public policy and the atmosphere
                                    in the schools. State law forbids Utah's public school
                                    teachers from saying anything in the classroom that
                                    would imply acceptance or advocacy of homosexuality.
When Jacob and nine other friends tried to form a Gay/Straight Alliance, a group of
students at West High, across town, formed SAFE—Students Against Fags Everywhere.
A state legislator talked of "serious concerns about the group's moving into recruitment of
fresh meat for the gay population."

Jacob was out of the closet, not just to friends and family but to the entire community. He
had helped found a gay club at his high school, a move that had prompted the Salt Lake
City school board to shut down all extracurricular activities rather than grant the club
official status.

Jacob was highly regarded by his friends and peers in the East High School Gay/Straight
Alliance. He was gentle, funny, and warm-hearted. He was slated to be the Alliance's
president in the 1997-1998 school year. When he took his life in his mother's home on
September 3, 1997, he was 17, a senior in high school.

In his final days, Jacob had been busy reorganizing the club. Despite the ban on
extracurricular clubs, the Gay/Straight Alliance had held evening meetings last spring at
his school, East High, which is required by law to rent space to community organizations.
In his final days, he had been dealing with a new obstacle, finding $400 to buy a $1
million liability insurance policy demanded by the school before the club could resume
its evening meetings.

"Jacob stood out as a dynamic, funny and seemingly confident young man," wrote Jeff
Dupre and Eliza Byard, two documentary filmmakers who interviewed Jacob and others
involved in the club for their film, Out of the Past, on the history of gays and lesbians in
the United States. "He was an accomplished athlete, a talented gymnast and an inspiration
to the fellow members of the [Gay/Straight] Alliance... a vibrant and impressive young
man who turned handsprings on a sunny lawn to the applause and admiration of his

Words by Jacob:

"To me, taking clubs from us is like putting a gun in our hands and waiting for the trigger
to be pulled."
                 Boyd Samuel Paul (1963–1989)
                 Boyd Samuel Paul was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, on October 29,
                 1963. After graduating from Murray High School, he served an LDS
                 mission to Cali, Colombia.

                 Boyd graduated from Brigham Young University and served in the Air
                 Force Reserve. He was an Eagle Scout and a member of Affirmation:
                 Gay and Lesbian Mormons. At the time of his death he was working as
                 a lobbyist in Washington, DC.

Boyd committed suicide in Washington, DC, on February 9, 1989. He was 25 years old.

Boyd was survived by his parents, brothers, sisters, nephews, and some special friends in
Washington, DC. He is buried at the Murray City Cemetery in Utah.

If you have information about Boyd, please send us an email    .
                    Jay Lynn Peterson (1966–1998)
                    Jay Lynn Peterson was born on January 23, 1966, in West Valley
                    City, Utah. He was baptized in the LDS Church on May 3, 1975.
                    After high school, Jay served in the US Navy.

                    On January 31, 1998, Jay was involved in a violent altercation at the
                    Exchange Place, downtown Salt Lake City, with a man who made a
                    derogatory statement about Jay's sexual orientation. After the
                    altercation, Jay drove to his apartment in the Avenues and
                    committed suicide. He was 32 years old.

Jay is buried at the Utah Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Riverton, Utah.

If you have more information about Jay, please send us an email .
Jared Pomroy (1968–1998)
Jared Pomroy was born in Lihue, Kauai, on October 27, 1968. Jared was his middle
name. His first name was Hawaiian: Kamakanaho'oulualohao'kalani.

Jared grew up in Kauai in a Mormon family. Later he moved to the continental United
States. Jared attended Brigham Young University in both Provo and Hawaii. He served
an LDS mission in Hokkaido, Japan. At the time of his death, he was working for an
engineering firm in Tacoma, Washington.

Jared committed suicide in Tacoma, Washington, on August 27, 1998. He was 29 years
old. Jared's body was cremated and his ashes scattered in Hawaii.

His partner Brian wrote the following:

Jared lived a happy life. He was an optimist in every situation. He loved to play
volleyball in the sand. He loved to watch the sun set into the ocean. Jared was stunning to
look at—a giant of a man, physically and metaphorically. He always kept his body in
great physical shape. He loved weight-lifting. Most of his college days were spent in the
gym—right where he wanted to be.

He was an intelligent man. He earned a degree in engineering, though his passion was
political science.

Jared led a happy but troubled life, due in large part to his own (and others') expectations
of a person that he was not. Ultimately, he was not able to cope with that and felt he
could not go on.

Many times when I think of and remember him, I remember the seemingly "little" things.
He loved butterflies. He loved to listen to music. He enjoyed swimming. Since his death,
I also think of this quote almost every time I think of Jared: "I wanted only to try to live
in accord with the promptings which came from my true self. Why was that so very
difficult?" —Herman Hesse.

I was fortunate to have known Jared. I am a different, and hopefully better, person
because I knew him. I miss him.
Jared's favorite poem:

Jared and his partner first heard this poem in the movie Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Jared left him a copy of this poem when he died with a note that stated, "I love you..."
and he signed it with his given Hawaiian name.

Stop All the Clocks
By W. H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with the juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let airoplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
                           Emery L. Prickett (1948–1985)
                           Emery Lee Prickett was born August 23, 1948 in Torrance,
                           LA County, California, to Leroy and Norma Prickett. He
                           committed suicide on January 14, 1985 in Covina, California.

                           Emery lived much of his life in the LA area, California. He
                           was a convert to the LDS Church at age 18. Emery was
                           married in 1971 in the Los Angeles Temple and he and his
                           wife had three children. Later he divorced. Some time after his
                           divorce, Emery was given custody of his three children, whom
                           he raised with his partner Richard.

                            Emery became involved in Affirmation in Los Angeles in its
early years. He held a variety of positions including assistant Los Angeles chapter
director. He served as general coordinator of Affirmation (the equivalent to an executive
director) in 1983-1984. He was very well liked by everyone and had an undeniably
enthusiastic spirit. He and his partner Richard contributed much to the organization.

The greatest achievement in Emery's life was the way he bettered himself. He was born
into a ghetto family situation and he lifted himself to achieve professional status in his
occupation and life. He became controller of Ameriton Paint Co. and then went on to
work in prominent positions in Xerox and in real estate.

Emery committed suicide January 14, 1985, in Covina, California. He was survived by
his partner Richard and his three children.

A garveside service in memory of emery was held January 18, 1985 at the Loma Vista
Memorial Park. Emery is buried in the Loma Vista Memorial Park in Fullerton,

Quote by Emery:

"I know without a doubt that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true. I also know that even
though I am Gay, I have not lost my testimony of the Gospel. I really appreciate
belonging to Affirmation" ("Working for What You Believe In", Affinity, March [April]
1984, p. 1).

See also:

A Tribute to a Star: Emery Prickett

"Comments from a Candidate for General Coordinator." Affinity, September 1983, p. 2.

"From Our General Coordinator." Affinity, November 1983, p. 1.

"From Our General Coordinator." Affinity, December 1983, p. 1.

"From Our General Coordinator." Affinity, January 1984, p. 1.

"From the General Coordinator." Affinity, March 1984, p. 1.

"Working for What You Believe In." Affinity, March [April] 1984, p. 1.

"From the General Coordinator." Affinity, May 1984, p. 1.

"In Memoriam: Emery L. Prickett (1948-1985)." Affinity March 1985, p. 3.

"Our Tenth Year: A Gay Mormon Reunion of Affirmation: Gay & Lesbian Mormons"
(Conference Program). The Salt Lake Sheraton, Salt Lake City, Utah, September 15-17,
1987, pp. 17-18.
                            Christopher Paul Ricksecker (1982–
                            Even though Christopher was not LDS, his mother is. Chris's
                            death moved the gay and lesbian Mormon community in Salt
                            Lake City, where he resided. Many Affirmation members
                            participated in the vigil held in his memory.

                            Christopher was born in San Diego on January 22, 1982, and
                            attended Highland High School in Salt Lake City. Life was
                            not easy for Chris; he felt overwhelmed with emotional
                            problems and suffered depression. He committed suicide in
                            Salt Lake City on June 16, 2003. Christopher was cremated
                            at his request, and his ashes were later scattered on the

A vigil for Chris was held on July 1, 2003, in Sugarhouse Park in Salt Lake. The service
was conducted by Chris's step mom, Sheri Young; Chris's dad, David, also said a few

Through a candlelight ceremony, the audience remembered not only Chris but all gay and
lesbian people who have taken lives. Charles Milne, GLBT advisor for the University of
Utah, helped conduct the candle lighting ceremony and made some remarks. Kristine
Clifford said a prayer.

These are some experts for the remarks made by Chris's dad:

"I went to several churches for answers. The answers that they gave me were that gay
people are evil and bad. One pastor in a local church told me that gay people are
possessed with demons—-that they are bad and that they are going to hell."

"Chris wanted to be accepted for who he was, but he could never accept himself who he
was and how he felt."

"We don't need special groups for gays or anyone else. We cannot judge gay people and
put them in special groups. What makes us better than gay people? We need to save our

"We can change the world by accepting people for who they are. I've been very intolerant
and judgmental of other people in the past, but I will not be any more."

"Help people stop killing our children," echoed Christopher's step mom.

Family Speaks Out in Remembrance of Son
                     Bryan Jordan Smith (1983–2004)
                     Bryan Jordan Smith was born March 27, 1983 in Salt Lake City,
                     Utah. He graduated from American Fork High School and LDS
                     Seminary. He was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of
                     Latter-day Saints and served an LDS mission in Omaha, Nebraska.

                    Bryan was a loving son and brother who enjoyed the outdoors, scrap
                    booking, animals, and gardening. He loved cars and especially, his
white Ford convertible Mustang. Bryan worked for Alpine School District at the Pony
Express Elementary School. He planned on attending Joseph Patrick Academy of Hair
this fall.

Bryan committed suicide on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 in American Fork. He left a
suicide note stating that he could not handle the fact that he was gay and that was at least
one of the reasons for his suicide.

He is survived by his mother, sister, brother, grandparents, and numerous other relatives.
Funeral services were held August 24, 2004 in the American Fork LDS West Stake
Center (700 East 500 North).

Bryan is buried in the American Fork Cemetery.

If you have information about Bryan, please send us an email      .
Excerpt from "Not Faceless," by Adam Shayne (Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon
Thought, Vol. 21:1 [Spring 1988], pp. 5-6).

Gay people are not an abstraction. We are real people with a distinguished history living
authentic lives. We love, we work, we play, and we contribute enormously to the good of
society. But many of us suffer, particularly those gay Mormons who will despise
themselves until their homophobic Church accepts them. My friend Steve was such a gay
Mormon. Entrapped by BYU security, he "voluntarily" underwent aversion therapy at
BYU and was later pressed into marriage by a zealous stake president who convinced
him that prayer, laying on of hands, and "commitment" had cured him. It hadn't, and a
few years later Steve was sexually active with other men, estranged from his wife and
children, and overwhelmed by guilt—the product of a good Mormon upbringing that had
carefully taught him to hate himself. Despairing, Steve turned to the Church for help and
was eventually excommunicated by a "court of love." Two weeks later he took his life.

Steve's is not an isolated case. While Stout and his profession debate whether gay people
are reliable witnesses of their own experience, and the readers of fret about the
"homosexual problem," thousands of gay Mormons must endure an unremitting assault
on their integrity and self-esteem from a church that preaches love but practices hate.
This hate makes it impossible for my family to accept both me and the Church; it tells me
the love I have for my lover is born of sin; it would isolate me from my rich friendships
with other gay people; it would excommunicate me for claiming more from life than
furtiveness, loneliness, and frustration. And it is this hate that would place Church
authority between me and God. Maybe Stout, his colleagues, their liberal friends, and
perhaps even a few apostles might get it right some day, but how many more Steves will
there be in the meantime?
Douglas Cornell Stewart, Jr. (1973–2006)
Douglas Cornell Stewart, Jr., was born July 5, 1973, in Provo,
Utah. He committed suicide in St. Louis, Missouri, on March 8,
2006, exactly 30 years to the day his grandfather committed
suicide. Douglas was 32.

Douglas was a gifted cellist, and was a Utah Sterling Scholar in
music. He served an honorable mission for the LDS Church
starting in the Hamburg Germany Mission and finishing in the
Minneapolis Minnesota Mission. Shortly after his mission, he
married in the temple, but after a year of marriage he divorced his wife, came out to his
family and friends, and became actively involved in the fight for homosexual rights.

Doug received his BA degree in Philosophy from Whitman College, in Walla Walla,
Washington. He loved history, art, politics, animals, and nature, and was an avid reader.
He is remembered for his sense of humor, his keen intellect, his compassion, and his
winning smile.

He is survived by his parents, four sisters, and three brothers.

In 1998, Doug was one of the presenters at the Affirmation conference held in Portland,
Oregon. At that time he was 25.

Doug's maternal grandfather was Carlyle D. Marsden, a gay Mormon who took his life in

Doug was dearly loved by his family, and will be missed greatly. A graveside service, for
family and friends, was held March 14th, 2006, at the Tonaquint Cemetery.

If you wish to post a tribute, please send us an email   .
                             Lynn E. Stewart (1957–2005)
                             Looking out into space,
                             I can see beyond my mind,
                             And into my universe within.

                             Our dear and gentle friend Lynn Stewart, born November 6,
                             1957, went nova on July 24, 2005. An avid astronomer and
                             birder, she gave all of us a new perspective on stars, birds
                             and the universe. A graphic artist by trade, she was a quality
                             control supervisor in electronic pre-press and worked at
                             Hudson Printing in Salt Lake City for over 20 years.

Lynn was a member of Wasatch Affirmation and attended the First Unitarian Church.
She loved hosting "star-b-ques" in the canyon and at her family's cabin—events that were
often attended by Affirmation women.

An accomplished pianist, she shared her original compositions with small groups of
friends gathered around her keyboard. Her kindness and courage touched countless lives
in our community. She never missed an opportunity to speak her love.

                                   Lynn is survived by three children Kirt, Vanessa and
                                   Cami and a grandson, Gerrit.

                                   On July 29, 2005, relatives, Affirmation members, and
                                   friends gathered for a graveside service in the Salt
                                   Lake City cemetery.

                                   On that evening, Mary and Cela hosted a gathering for
 Friends gathered to celebrate     Lynn's chosen family, also attended by some members
          Lynn's life              of her biological family. Affirmation friend Michelle
                                   Hardgrave traveled from California to celebrate Lynn's

A memorial fund for transgender awareness and resources has been established in Lynn's
honor at the GLBT Community Center of Utah. Friends may donate to:

355 N. 300 West, 1st Floor
Salt Lake City, UT 84103
We invite Lynn's friends to send us emails with tributes that we will be posted
permanently on this page.
                             Brian DJ Hyer Thompson (1967–2000)
                             Brian David James Hyer Thompson was born on June 22,
                             1967. During his life he was intensely involved in the LDS
                             Church, Affirmation (Gay and Lesbian Mormons), and the
                             community at large. He graduated from Bingham High
                             School in South Jordan, Utah. After serving a Mormon
                             mission in Seattle, he returned to Utah, where he was elected
                             president of the Utah Log Cabin Republicans and
                             participated in several gay and lesbian organizations.

                              DJ had a strong connection with Mormonism, especially
                              through Affirmation, Reconciliation, and his Salt Lake City
                              singles ward in the Avenues. Years after coming out, he was
still attending that ward and discussing gay issues with his bishop. DJ was a strong
advocate for gay rights. He was proud to be gay and proud to be Mormon.

DJ lived in many places and tried very hard to find happiness. He loved French culture
and once traveled to Paris as an artist's assistant. He loved movies, paintings, and art. He
loved hiking, nature, and animals—especially cats. He loved to grow flowers and was a
talented cook. At the time of his death, DJ was living with a gay couple near Kingman,
Arizona. He was very frustrated over the LDS Church's involvement with Proposition 22
in California and the recent suicide of Stuart Matis.

DJ committed suicide near Kingman, Arizona, on March 9, 2000. He was 32 years old.

On March 19, 2000, in the middle of a raging snowstorm, Affirmation held a memorial
service at St. Mark's Cathedral in Salt Lake City. Some 200 people and the Salt Lake
Men's Choir gave tribute to DJ and Stuart Matis. Friends played some of the songs that
DJ requested in his letter.

DJ was survived by his parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, and his Affirmation friends.
He is buried at the South Jordan Cemetery in Utah.

Words by DJ:

"It is unfortunate that the lives of good people such as Stuart Matis, Matthew Shepherd,
and many others go unnoticed. I see Proposition 22 as a last straw in my life-long battle
to see peace in the world I live in."


DJ Thompson's Final Goodbye

Creating Lifelines of Love: Helping Youth
Who is Responsible?

Stuart and DJ Remembered

Local and National Religious Organizations Join with the Gay/Lesbian Mormon
Community in Responding to Recent Suicides

Gay Mormon Suicides Mourned in Prop's Wake (Sunstone 118 [April 2001]: 90-91).
                       Joseph Timpson (1965–2007)
                       Joseph Michael Timpson was born February 8, 1965 in Denver,
                       Colorado, and graduated from Graduate Skyline High School in
                       1983. Joe earned a degree in English from the University of Utah
                       and completed an MBA at Brigham Young University. He was
                       employed by the US Postal Service for almost 20 years in the
                       Regional Remote Encoding Center. Joe enjoyed books, movies,
                       politics and his cat Gertie. He was active in his church service

                       Joe committed suicide on May 1, 2007—two months following the
suicide of his co-worker and lesbian activist Kathy Worthington. He was 42 years old. He
is survived by his parents, his brother, his brother-in-law, and numerous nieces and

Joe is buried at the Holladay Memorial Park in Holladay, Utah.

We invite Joseph's friends to send us emails with tributes that we be will posted
permanently on this page.
                                  Randall Dean Watkins (1962–2005)
                                  Randall Dean Watkins, 42, committed suicide on
                                  January 13, 2005 in St. George, Utah.

                                  Randy was born September 21, 1962 in Ogden, Utah.
                                  He grew up in Ogden, Utah and Las Vegas, Nevada.
                                  When he was seven years old the family moved to St.
                                  George, Utah. Randy graduated from Dixie High
                                  School and attended Dixie College. He managed
                                  family motels throughout Utah, Nevada, and
                                  Wyoming before moving back to St. George in 1996.

                                  Randy and his partner in life, David Ulibarri, owned
                                  and operated Guest Room Services and David's
                                  Designs Floral and Gifts. They loved to escape to the
                                  mountains, ocean or to Snow Canyon. Randy loved his
animals which included cats, horses and chickens. He found a great deal of enjoyment
spending time with family and friends. His greatest gift was his great sense of humor.

Randy is survived by his companion David; also by his father, mother, brothers and
sisters, and other relatives.

Randy is buried at the St. George City Cemetery, Utah.

If you have more information about Randy, or wish to write a tribute, please send us an
                             Steven Larry Wheeler (1949–2000)
                             Steven Wheeler was born on October 22, 1949 in Blackfoot,
                             Idaho. He graduated from Snake River High School and
                             continued his education at Brigham Young University. He
                             served a mission for the LDS Church in the northern Japan
                             mission. After his mission he continued his education at the
                             University of Utah, where he received his Masters in
                             Business Administration. He worked for 20 years for the
                             Utah Retirement Board as a market analyst and internal audit

                             Steve committed suicide on May 23, 2000. He was 50 years

During the funeral a friend said, "Nothing can bring back Steve's laugh; nothing can bring
back the glory of his mind, the brilliance of his wit."

Words by Steve:

To Everyone: I cannot fight depression any longer. I have had to fight depression all my
life, although for most of my life I had no idea what was wrong. Nothing works. Anti-
depression drugs, counseling, mood enhancement drugs, supplements—nothing lifts the
darkness. Churchill called it the "Black Dog." It is more like the black death. Fifty years
is long enough. The depression grows deeper the older I get. I can see no way out. I am
going to a place where there is no darkness, no pain, and no sadness. I am truly sorry.
Please forgive me. —Steven L. Wheeler
                                      Clay Douglass Whitmer (1965-
                                      Clay Douglass Whitmer was born May 21, 1965. He
                                      was an incredibly intelligent person. He had an
                                      M.B.A. and a J.D. He could pick up just about any
                                      subject matter with complete ease. He was someone
                                      who had very high aspirations.

                                      Clay had been involved with Affirmation: Gay and
                                      Lesbian Mormons as a member of the San Francisco
      Clay Whitmer, left,             chapter. His family lives in Kansas City, Missouri.
    with friend Stuart Matis          Clay had a very complicated relationship with his
                                      parents, and they have decided not to memorialize
                                      his life or death.

Clay committed suicide in the San Francisco Bay Area on March 20, 2000—three weeks
after his friend Stuart Matis. Stuart was Clay's very dear friend. They went to Brigham
Young University together and served Mormon missions together in Italy.

The death of his friend Stuart may have been the last straw in Clay's life. He wrote in his
suicide note that he wanted to say good-bye to all his friends and to apologize for the pain
he knew he would cause them. He also chose a place to commit the suicide which he
knew none of his friends had any particular connection to. Peculiar as it may sound, even
in contemplating his own death, he thought of others. This was the type of person he was.


Gay Mormon Suicides Mourned in Prop's Wake (Sunstone 118 [April 2001]: 90-91).

Miller, Mark. To Be Gay—And Mormon. Newsweek, 8 May 2000, pp. 38-39.
                                    Kathy Worthington (1950–2007)
                                    “This is a watershed time. Now when leaders move
                                    on, there is not only one person, but several people
                                    awaiting to take their place. People used to think it
                                    was frightening to be a gay or lesbian leader. Now
                                    more people are coming forward and saying, „I‟ll do
                                                     —Kathy Worthington, 1995

                                    We regret to announce the passing of Kathy
                                    Worthington, a well-known Utah activist who made
                                    tremendous contributions to the GLBT community in
Kathy Worthington (left) and        Utah and across the country. Her passing comes one
wife Sara Hamblin                   year and one day after the passing of her wife Sara
                                    Hamblin, who died of breast cancer on February 21,

Even though Kathy left the LDS Church many years ago, she was supportive of
Affirmation: Gay and Lesbian Mormons and on one occasion came to an Affirmation
meeting to speak of her experiences attending the 1993 March on Washington. She also
helped Affirmation prepare an article with information for Mormons who want to get
their names removed from the rolls of the Church.

At around the time when the LDS Church tried to conceal its involvement in fundraising
for anti-gay causes in California, Kathy wrote several articles for The Pillar, the local gay
paper in Utah, showing proof of the church's involvement. She also organized a campaign
to help disenchanted Mormons, straight and gay alike, resign from the church and ―send a
message to the church that its manipulation of California politics... is objectionable and
offensive to many people, including members of the church.‖

Kathy's contribution to the GLBT community are many. Between 1991 and 1995 she
edited the Womyn's Community News, a monthly newsletter for lesbians. Over the years
the publication attracted 1,000 readers from Seattle to Bridgeport, Conn. She spent
15,000 of her own money and thousands of hours working on that project. Between 1992
and 1999 she facilitated a women's peer support group, first at her home and later at the
Stonewall Center. After 1999, she organized a similar group at the Gay and Lesbian
Community Center (today the Pride Center).

Kathy met her wife Sara Hamblin in 1992. They had a commitment ceremony a year
later. In 1997, two years after Sara was diagnosed with cancer, Kathy fought the U.S.
Postal Service to be allowed to take open-ended leave to care for Sara under the 1993
Family and Medical Leave Act. Kathy's request was denied twice, but she tried one more
time and won approval. Kathy and Sara were legally married in Canada in 2003.
Family and friends were hesitant to say how she died at first, but on Thursday, Kathy's
daughter, Lucy Juarez, said her mother committed suicide. After losing her partner of 14
years, Kathy had fallen into a deep depression, stopped participating in the community,
and let her friends fall by the wayside. Kathy still worked full time at the U.S. Postal
Service, but she was lonely and struggled to wake up most mornings without Sara. Kathy
had contemplated suicide throughout the year, and family and friends tried to get her help
and support her.

―I’d rather just be up front about it because that was the way my mother was,‖ Lucy told
The Salt Lake Tribune. ―We are in no way ashamed about her depression or the way she
died. We wish we would have been able to save her.‖

A memorial service for Kathy will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday, March 4, at I.J. and
Jeanné Wagner Jewish Community Center, 2 N. Medical Drive, Salt Lake City.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Utah Pride Center
( or Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (

A tribute to both Kathy and Sara may be found at

Kathy's passing was noted in the April 10, 2007 issue of The Advocate (see page 19,

Tribute by David Nielson:

Kathy's contribution to the Mormon world has shaped many, many pieces of policy and
viewpoint, even if TBM's refuse to acknowledge it. While it was possible before for an
individual to have their name removed from Church rolls, it was difficult and required a
lot of guesswork. Kathy created resources to make it an easy, definite process. She and
her partner were also the greatest test case, before or since, for FMLA-style leave within
the Postal Service. At her insistence, management of our postal facility set a precedent for
gay couples to get the same treatment as straight couples, when caring for ailing partners.
She was a friend to me at the Postal Service, and I am still very sad and incomplete
because of her passing.

Joe Timpson, who worked with me and with Kathy at the Remote Encoding Center here
in Salt Lake City, was also a gay former Mormon. These two people both took their lives
within weeks of each other. The reasons for suicide are never simple—there's never just
one reason—but looking at these cases, I have to stand up and say, as I have said before,
being that will bring GLBT Mormon suicides to an end?

David Nielson
David ( -1982)
[The following is taken from Postlewaite, Richard E., Gay and Lesbian Mormons,
Lambda News, San Jose, 22 January 1982.]

Recently we received word from Affirmation United Kingdom about one of our people
named David. David told his family he was gay at the age of 15. His father, a local
church leader, made him an outcast in his own family. David's family would walk the
other way if they met on the street. He was told never to try to contact the family.

David was rushed several times to the hospital for emergency treatment after having
mutilated his body with knives and razor blades. Within the last month, David committed
suicide. In sobs, Affirmation was thanked by a friend of David's for the help and support
provided. But David is dead. David was but another victim of the injustices of the church
and its attitude towards Gay and Lesbian people.

We of Affirmation San Jose/South Bay hope the church one day understands. Until then,
we fight their ignorance and try to heal and help our own.

Richard E. Postlewaite
Affirmation, San Jose
Suicides of 1965
[The following is taken from McQueen, Robert I., "Outside the Temple Gates—The Gay
Mormon," The Advocate, 13 August 1975, p. 14.]

It was a year of suicides, a rather harsh introduction to the gay society I discovered in
1965, hidden beneath Salt Lake City's placid sheen of righteousness.

The details were gory and unsettling—a strong, athletic neck snapped by a homemade
noose, a beautiful head blown apart, a body smashed like delicate porcelain in the
concrete conclusion of a seven-story leap, and two quiet overdoses on begged and
borrowed drugs. Homosexuality was, of course, the immediate scapegoat. After all, the
waspish voices inside cried, suicide and homosexuality go hand in hand.

But there was something disturbing about these particular deaths, something unnecessary,
something these men shared which was as much and possibly more to blame. Risking
blasphemy, I concluded, after a long and bitter struggle with my own beliefs, that it was
their inability to reconcile in a livable harmony the opposing forces of a rigidly
homophobic religion and homosexuality that destroyed them.

Those five young men I met in 1965 were all in their early 20's. They were Mormons.
Three of them had recently returned from missionary service for the Mormon church.
They were all students at Brigham Young University (BYU), the Mormon-owned
university well known for its arch-conservative standards of conduct and dress.

Months prior to their suicides, four of them had been trapped in the on-going homosexual
witch hunts at BYU and subjected to the church's disciplinary program. The fifth had
sought help his own way by contacting church authorities and admitting his problem to
them. As an initial step in their "counseling," each of them was interviewed by the
counselor to homosexual problems at that time, Spencer W. Kimball, now president and
prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. ...

My friends from 1965 were good people. They wanted to be better people, but they
believed in their church more than they believed in themselves. When their church
rejected them because they were gay, it destroyed them. I doubt the Mormon church will
ever accept even a portion of the blame.
Suicides of 1976
[The following is taken from O'Donovan, Connell, "The Abominable and Detestable
Crime Against Nature": A Brief History of Homosexuality and Mormonism, 1840-1980.]

As the purge continued into 1976, BYU security sent officers and volunteers to Gay bars
in Salt Lake City to record the license plate numbers of cars with BYU parking stickers
on them. One student who got caught during this purge attempted suicide. When taken to
the hospital, medical personnel reported him to BYU security, who in turn informed his
bishop and his wife of the situation. In a joint effort between Utah County Sheriff's
officers and BYU security during March 1976, fourteen men were arraigned in Pleasant
Grove (near BYU) on charges of 'lewdness and sodomy' at two freeway rest stops. One of
these men shot himself two days after his arrest. During surveillance of these rest stops,
officers documented more than 100 men, many of whom were from BYU, who were
"believed to engage in homosexual activity" there.
Suicide of 1984
[The following is taken from Taylor, Mark A., "The Love That Dares Not Speak Its
Name: A Day in the Life," Utah Holiday, September 1986, pp. 35-51.]

[Bruce] Harmon says job discrimination can be devastating, but when a person's family
turns away, it's tragic. "A couple of years ago, a young man called our hotline and told us
his name. He said he had just told his parents he was homosexual. There was hollering
and an argument going on in the background. The father said, 'I'd rather see you dead
than be gay,' and then the line suddenly went dead. Someone hung the telephone up. The
young man didn't give us a telephone number, so we had no way of calling back. One
week later, we read his obituary."

Shared By:
Description: Scott Allred Breast lifts