Alameda Contra Costa Transit District
Shipping & Receiving Clerk
Class Code FLSA Status EEO Category Represented Status Salary Grade Effective Date Resolution Page
690 Non-Exempt 6 – Administrative Support ATU PurMat 04 REV 2-07 939 1 of 1
DEFINITION: Under immediate supervision, performs shipping, receiving, and storage duties in connection with the supply
and control of parts and materials at District storerooms, and the central warehouse.
REPORTS TO: An assigned Inventory Control Clerk, or designee.
REPRESENTATIVE FUNCTIONS: may include, but are not limited to:
• Expedites the handling of parts orders for vehicles that are out of service.
• Tracks, files, and maintains all packing slip and shipping records on incoming and outgoing shipments.
• Enters daily receipts, shipments, and confirmations into the inventory control system (Ellipse).
• Prepares goods for shipment by assembling, loading, and labeling containers.
• Loads and unloads materials from trucks; coordinates the placement and storage of material; and monitors and
tracks inbound materials and supplies.
• Reviews, verifies, and signs packing slips by checking counts of material against invoices and receipts to identify
discrepancies; inspects packages for damage to material; and communicates with appropriate Materials and
Procurement department staff regarding damage and discrepancies.
• Confers with Parts Clerk to research inbound freight discrepancies, such as shortages and incorrect materials.
• Notifies vendors of damaged or incorrect material and ships materials back to vendors.
• Provides documentation and information to develop ways to minimize or eliminate receiving and shipping problems.
• Generates material movement sheets, and labels for materials.
• Operates forklifts, hand trucks, and power jacks to complete assigned duties.
• Performs related duties, as required.
Knowledge Of: Principles and practices of shipping, receiving, and work safety in a machine shop and/or manufacturing
environment; basic mathematics and statistics; modern office procedures, methods, and computer equipment; and
warehouse equipment including tools and materials used in materials and inventory operations.
Ability To: Organize, prioritize, and complete work activities on a continuous basis in a timely manner; communicate
effectively both orally and in writing; know and understand parts inventory activities; observe workplace safety rules;
identify safety hazards; recognize situations requiring the use of lifting equipment such as forklifts, hand trucks, and pallet
jacks, and safely and efficiently operate said equipment; use appropriate lifting techniques for lighter items; locate, identify,
and differentiate parts upon request; quickly learn and effectively use the District’s inventory software and associated
peripheral equipment such as scanners; analyze problems; accurately interpret work orders; and establish and maintain
effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, using principles of good customer service.
Education/Training: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Experience: Two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience in a materials and inventory operations environment
working as a Shipping and Receiving Clerk, Parts Clerk, Stores Clerk or similar position; including at least one (1) year of
experience with diesel or automotive parts.
License/Certification: Within thirty (30) days of appointment: (1) Must already possess, or obtain, and maintain a
California Class B Driver License with a Hazardous Materials endorsement, and meet the District’s safe driving standards.
(2) Must qualify for, and pass the District’s certification test on forklift operation.
Physical Requirements: (1) Must maintain the physical condition necessary to: stand and walk constantly; bend, squat,
climb steps and ladders, kneel, push, pull, and twist frequently to access and store parts; perform simple and power
grasping and fine hand manipulations frequently; and sit or stand frequently while preparing and reviewing paperwork and
operating computer and peripheral equipment. (2) Must be able to safely lift and carry weight of up to seventy (70) pounds,
and pass a heavy lifting physical examination. S:\HR\Data 12-01-01\Class-Comp\Class Specs\ShipngRecvngClerk REV 2-07.doc
This Class Specification is intended to present a descriptive list of the range Revised: 4/84 Date:
of essential functions performed by an incumbent in this class, but is not & 2/07 ________________________________________
intended to reflect all duties performed within the job. APPROVED BY RICK FERNANDEZ, GENERAL MANAGER