SATA-COMPATIBLE NAND-Type Conformity to RoHS Directive
Flash Memory Controller GBDriver RS1
Serial ATA Interface Type
For Embedded Systems/SATA NAND Modules (SATA Disk/SATA DOM)
The TDK GBDriver RS1 is a NAND-type Flash Memory controller IC supporting the serial ATA (SATA) data transfer. Generally, two LSI
chips are necessary for SATA control of NAND-type Flash Memories; NAND control IC and SATA bridge IC. The TDK GBDriver RS1
integrates these functions into a single chip, enabling the reduction of mounting space and peripherals, as well as a 20%∗ reduction of the
GBDriver RS1 can control NAND-type Flash Memories of SLC(Single Level Cell) up to 16GB and MLC (Multi Level Cell) up to 32GB.
GBDriver RS1 is the most ideal SATA controller IC for high-speed SATA control of high-capacity NAND storage.
GBDriver RS1 employs TDK GBDriver RA7's flash memory controling architecture which has proven enough data reliability for industrial
and embedded usage.
(∗ Tested by TDK, Based on the results of comparison of "(1)GBDriver RS1" and "(2) GBDriver RA7 + SATA bridge IC".)
FEATURES SHAPES AND DIMENSIONS
• Compatible with both SLC and MLC NAND that have the latest TQFP64pin Single Chip
• Maximum of 16GB can be controlled with the SLC, and a
maximum of 32GB with the MLC. Multiple flash memory vendors
are also supported.∗ 48 33
• Supports Serial ATA Standard Rev. 1.0a (Gen1: 1.5Gbps).
• Equipped with the ECC capability of 8-bit correction per sector.
• Strong tolerance against powerdown, minimizing the risk of data
loss opon system shutdown.
• Supports SMART commands. Equipped with a function for
detecting the number of used blocks, unused blocks, and
defective blocks, enabling memory lifetime estimation.
• Equipped with the function to set all sector numbers (clipping
The number of physical blocks can be set to be smaller, in order 64
to increase the number of times that rewriting to the flash
memory is possible.
• Supports a protect function conforming to the ATA standard. In 1
addition to the existing TDK unique Write Protect/Read Protect
functions, the user can set or disable the password.
• Conforms to the RoHS directives. 4˚ –4˚
∗ Please contact us to confirm the Flash the Flash Memory compatibility. 0.2 –0.04 0.5
MAIN APPLICATIONS Dimensions in mm
• Digital TVs, STBs, car navigation systems
• Multi-function printers(MFP), POS systems, banking/ATM termi- SPECIFICATIONS
nals, devices for station services(automated passenger gate, Serial ATA Standard Rev.1.0a
fare collection system, etc.) Host I/F
• SATA DOM (Disk On Module), SATA silicon disks I/O 3.0 to 3.6V
• All types of industrial equipment, embedded systems Core 1.64 to 1.98V
System clock 25MHz
APPLICATION EXAMPLES Operating –20 to +85°C
Storage –55 to +125°C
• For NOR Flash-/HDD- replacement applications.
• For OS, system installation, or user data storage in Digital TV, Power consumption
STB and other information appliances, as well as car navigation (ref.)
• For booting embedded systems of WindowsXP Embedded-base
• For other applications that require vibration tolerance, low power
consumption and downsizing; Medical equipment, logistics,
POS system, etc.
• "DOM" and "Disk On Module" are the trademark or the registered trade mark of Power Quotient International Co., Ltd. (PQI) in Taiwan.
• Conformity to RoHS Directive: This means that, in conformity with EU Directive 2002/95/EC, lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, and specific
bromine-based flame retardants, PBB and PBDE, have not been used, except for exempted applications.
• All specifications are subject to change without notice.
001-02 / 20080318 / ew_010.fm