PARKLAND COMMUNITY HOSPITAL – 4
You have been introduced to the Parkland Community Hospital case in preceding
in-class problems. This continues the case with special emphasis on logical design for the
relational data model. Although the hospital will continue to evaluate newer technology
such as object-oriented and object-relational, it is expected that relational technology will
continue to dominate its systems development over the next few years.
Your assignment is to perform a logical design for the database at Parkland
Community Hospital. In inclass problems 1 and 3 you developed conceptual data models
for the hospital. Specifically, in those you prepared the following:
E-R diagram for the major entities and relationships in the hospital (in-class 1).
EER diagram emphasizing the human resources in the hospital (in-class 3).
Your assignment here is to develop a logical design for one or both of these
conceptual designs. For each logical design:
1. Map the E-R (and / or EER) diagram to a relational schema. Be sure to
underline all primary keys, and include all necessary foreign keys.
2. Diagram the functional dependencies in each relation.
3. If any relation is not in 3NF, decompose that relation into 3NF relations
and revise the relational schema.
1. Why will Parkland Community Hospital continue to use relational technology for
systems development, despite the continuing emergence of newer technology?
2. Should Parkland Community Hospital use normalization in designing its
databases? Why or why not?
3. Why are entity integrity and referential integrity constraints of importance to the
4. Who in the hospital should be involved in data normalization?