VIEWS: 172 PAGES: 1 CATEGORY: Other POSTED ON: 7/6/2010
In 1999, to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the town's founding, Wanda Potts, Indiana Room Librarian (1966-2002) at Mooresville Public Library, edited and wrote newspaper columns entitled "Mooresville Moments," in which she recounted the local history of Mooresville, Indiana and the surrounding area in Morgan County, Indiana.
Â«iic nines WWUVI 1Â»W| l^r Mooresville Moments In honor of Mooresville's 175 th Anniversary and the 200th anniversaryâ¨of the birth of Mooresville s founder, Samuel Moore, the Mooresville Timesâ¨is publishing regular articles about the history of Mooresville and Moore. State Road 144 r V.' utilized again until a new concreteâ¨bridge was built at a cost ofâ¨$38,750 to be completed by Oct.â¨15, 1911 with the contractor bearÂ¬â¨ing the expense of the ferry forâ¨every day it would be needed afterâ¨the deadline. This bridge was usedâ¨until the present bridge was comÂ¬â¨pleted on Sept. 10, 1969 at a costâ¨of $791,690. The three span bridgeâ¨built in 1911 was dismantled onâ¨Oct. 16, 1990 after being barriÂ¬â¨caded for several years. Dynamiteâ¨charges were exploded to bring theâ¨old bridge down. It is a short road, only 20 milesâ¨extending from State Road 67 toâ¨State Road 31, and is probably theâ¨second most heavily traveled roadâ¨serving Mooresville carrying comÂ¬â¨muters from Indianapolis andâ¨Johnson County; shoppers botfi toâ¨and from Greenwood Shoppingâ¨Center, diners to the popular Grayâ¨Brothers Cafeteria, and the growÂ¬â¨ing suburban additions of homesâ¨around Mooresville. It is also aâ¨direct route to merge with InterÂ¬â¨state 65 on the first leg of travel toâ¨the south for winter homes andâ¨vacations. The once country road is nowâ¨a busy thoroughfare with homes,â¨subdivisions, churches and busiÂ¬â¨nesses and only a few cornfieldsâ¨to remind us that Waverly wasâ¨once a long way from Mooresvilleâ¨and a long way back. By Lula Mae Bucker Years ago, Ihe (rip lo Waverlyâ¨was a long journey - leave the castâ¨edge of Mooresville, cross the creekâ¨through the "little red bridge," windâ¨up the Barnett hill and rumble overâ¨the narrow gravel country road. About 1939, a state highwayâ¨representative contacted the townâ¨board about widening the road toâ¨comply with regulations to make itâ¨a state rpadf Hie matter was broughtâ¨to the attention of the Lions Club,â¨the only service club in Mooresvilleâ¨at that time. In due time, the countyâ¨commissioners appointed Charlesâ¨B. Comer and Dr. Claude H. White to purchase the right of way and asÂ¬â¨sess damages, and appropriated $8,000 for this purpose. Most propÂ¬ erty owners were in favor of the imÂ¬ provement and those opposed wereâ¨persuaded to agree. Part of the roadâ¨was changed to eliminate some danÂ¬â¨gerous curves. WPA labor was utiÂ¬â¨lized to clear a wooded area on theâ¨Red House Hill behind the Swearginâ¨School west of Mann and Centenaryâ¨roads. The first black top surfaceâ¨was applied in July 1951; quite difÂ¬â¨ferent from the asphalt used today. â¢â¨Three bridges have spannedâ¨White River near Waverly. The first,â¨a wooden structure 440 feet long,â¨built in 1873 at a cost of $25,000,â¨replaced a ferry. This bridge bumedâ¨on March 21, 1911. The ferry was The historical articles for Mooresville Moments are taken or copied from various materials located in the Indiana/Local History Room of theâ¨Mooresville Public Library and include newspaper clippings and notes fromâ¨books edited by Reeky Hardin, Clara Richardson andAlmira Hadley. MaÂ¬â¨terial is managed by Wanda Potts.
Pages to are hidden for
"Waverly Road Covered Bridge (S.R. 144 & S.R. 67)"Please download to view full document