Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out
Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

MV Moments-Historic Sites


In 1999, to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the town's founding, Wanda Potts, Indiana Room Librarian (1966-2002) at Mooresville Public Library, edited and wrote newspaper columns entitled "Mooresville Moments," in which she recounted the local history of Mooresville, Indiana and the surrounding area in Morgan County, Indiana.

More Info
									December 8,1999
'«•«.#* -vpT -*'
Mooresville Moments
In honor of Mooresville s 175 th Anniversary and the 200th anniversary
of the birth of Mooresville s founder, Samuel Moore, the Mooresville Times
is publishing regular articles about the history of Mooresville and Moore.
Historic sites of Mooresville
building becoming Indianapolis
Power and Light Co. The adjacent
lot was once a hotel and then owned
by Fred Lindley and next door by
Sam Wade, and then other private
Rain-dampened streets cut short
the carriage tour of historic
Mooresville "square" but failed to
dampen the spirits of a good natured
crowd enjoying the Victorian Christ¬
Plans were to denote historic
spots along the route with commen¬
tary by carriage drivers.
Carriage Route I passed the
Rooker/York/Cook house at 30 W.
Harrison St. built in 18X2 after a di¬
sastrous fire in the original home.
Bucker Monument Works and the
Buckcr home at 36 W. Harrison St.
has been a business since 1X74.
Jefferson Street turns into West Main
Street and passes the site of the
McCrackcn Hotel and the Taggcrt
Bakery. Crossing Indiana Street trav¬
eling east at the corner was once the
Bass Drug Store and later Citizens
Bank and on the floor above was the
"Opera House." George Keller built
the next building where the Masons
and Eastern Star met and farther on
were various groceries, hardware
stores and Watson's Drug Store with
the Red Men's Hall above.
The present Times office was the
Idle Hour Theater, owned by Skinny
McCarty and then the Ritz Theater,
owned by Harmon Allison. Not all
of these were of the Victorian period
but stand the test of time.
The Light Company occupied
the comer of the alley on East Main
Street, later building the present
The historical articles for Mooresville Moments are taken or copied
from various materials located in the Indiana/Local History Room of the
Mooresville Public Library and include newspaper clippings and notes from
books edited by Becky Hardin. Clara Richardson and Almira Hadley. Ma¬
terial is managed by Wanda Potts.
On the southeast comer of Main
and Clay streets, Frederick Sheets
built the large brick building, once
referred to as the most beautiful
house in town. After a scries of
owners including Billy Lyons, the
popular band director, taxi driver
and town board member, the house
was an apartment. The Damar
Home built by Steward Comer,
owner of the Comcr-Sccarce Lum¬
ber Yard, a fine example of luxury
homes on the comer of Clay Street
and Harrison Street, was the
branching off of the THI&E trac¬
tion line as it entered Harrison
Street, continued down the center
of the street to the "car bams" at
the end of Harrison. The "depot"
or ticket station was located at 54
E. Harrison St.. is now a private
brick home.
The Calvert Photography stu¬
dio was next to the First Methodist
Church, now relocated, and across
the street at 19 E. Harrison St. was
the Likely Home built in 1856.
The tour finished passing the
church built in 1883 and arrived at
the municipal building, now the
town hall, built in 1932.

To top