Notes from the Collection TeamBoard meeting

Document Sample
Notes from the Collection TeamBoard meeting Powered By Docstoc
					Notes from Golden meeting, July 7-9, 2004

Notes from the Collection Team/Board meeting
NSDL Project: eERL
Golden, Colorado
July 7-9, 2004

Action items, Collection team:
 Generate list of keywords to help with the search in each content area. Due end of July.
 Send Chris Neuhaus five (5) instructional resources of excellence from each collection
    area to post on the Teacher’s Guide. Due end of July.
 Fulfill commitment of submitting 150 resources by mid to end of August.
 Identify marketing opportunities; for example, going to local libraries and personally
    dropping off bookmarks and brochures, attending meetings and doing presentations or
    have a poster session
 Review keyword list for Instructional Resources.    Due end of July.

Action items, Chris, Chris, and Sue and others:
 Send list of instructional resource keywords for Collection team to review. (ASAP after
    the meeting)
 Give Collection team permission to edit
 Identify subcommittees that would meet by telecom separate from a meeting of the
    whole (marketing,
 Chris: Do and disseminate summary of meeting notes
 Chris: Post mission on eERL front page again
 Chris: Show reason for signing up for log in. Show advantages to user before and after
    when receive email verification of log in.
 Chris: Add “thanks to Debra Rowe and Dan Chiras” to bottom of sustainability page.
 Sue and Dee: reclassify browse?
 Send PDF file of brochures to all.
 Set up quarterly telecons, or as needed.
 Correct commas and add diagrams for Sustainability info page on eERL.
 Use Teacher’s Guide as a “site map” of sorts to show what is in the collection and what
    might be done with the various areas. Teacher’s Guide will set the cognitive
    framework for what is on eERL.
 Develop site survey and post.
 Provide detailed feedback to CWIS. This documentation is valuable in developing this
    turnkey solution. It would be an important contribution.
 Marie suggested that we need a privacy policy added to our collection policy statement.
 Look at how to participate with SOARS.
Notes from Golden meeting, July 7-9, 2004

Action items, all (Collection team, Board, and staff):
 Assess Priorities/Possibilities list.
                                  List priorities by what needs to be done by Sept. 30.
    We need to focus on what needs to be fixed or completed first!
 How do we handle showing function, since classification is done by content, before end
    of the grant? 1) Reclassify? 2) Show function classifications in Teachers’ Guide for
    eERL., or 3) Add another controlled name

Issues to consider:
    1. Sites to look at:;;
       example of site map: (from Debra)

    2. Granularity: We need to be as granular as possible. “We are the weed wackers.”
       (Comment from John Marks)

        Do we want breadth or a few of the best resources in each area?

    3. Search issues: Debra and others brought up the issue that not all of the resources
       are being found (example sustainability and education). The conclusion was that
       each area of collections needs to refine its list of keywords. This could be a style
       guide and/or a checklist that could be available to users. This addresses an
       important “ease of use” issue.

        The search word lists could be located prominently next to the Search box or in the
        tool bar. Look at glossaries to help make keyword lists.

        Should we shorten the description in the record for each resource? Only show title?

        Recommendation: Look at textbooks and glossaries for more keywords. Look at
        DLESE’s keywords.

        Look at EPA’s keywords.

        Look at Transaction logs for sample keywords.

        We need regularly scheduled, systematic reviews of keywords.

        Tim: need “See also” which links to a thesaurus to help with searches.

        Add pop up search tips.

    4. Browse Structure: Should top level browse be similar to elink (see #1 for URL)?

        Be creative in what to put in sub part of browse.

        We need a button for educators.

        Put categories in center of front page to help show educators what is on eERL?

        Teachers’ Guide could be a functional way to show teachers what is on eERL.

        Tim: Problem is eERL is mixing ways to browse. Raj: Browse by subject/grade
Notes from Golden meeting, July 7-9, 2004

      level/ resource type. Browse is not used much overall, studies show. Search is

      Even though Browse is not used as much as Search, browse metadata gives you a
      window into keyword searching.

      When solidified more, eERL needs link on right to a site map.

      Once in browse, a search is not allowed. Could this be changed?

      Educational level might be helpful to users.

   5. Give Collection team permission to edit

   6. Side issues: Do we need a student on Collection team?

      Spawn new page for links.

      How big should we grow our collection?

      Richard: Have curriculum developers. Write another grant for Dept. of Ed.

      Eisenhower National Clearinghouse is taking the lead for NSDL on Middle School
      portal and has identified eERL as one site it would like to harvest. It would build an
      interface to us for Middle School use.

      Biodiversity needs expansion. Kevin will work on.

      Part of problem is that we don’t have a national curricula.

   7. Opportunities to Spread the Word, or Marketing eERL: Each Collection team
      member should think of meetings to present at. BE SURE TO ASK CHRIS FOR

      Find ways to market based on a clearly defined user: primary audience is

      For example, Richard suggested taking bookmarks and brochures to all the public
      libraries we can think of and personalize the contact with the library. Meetings like
      the National Center for Professional Development in Community Colleges held in
      Austin each year would work well.

      Mike Jund is working with the Iowa Reduction Center, the military, Iowa Automobile
      Dealers, etc.

      Overall, we all need to identify and tap into networks that would feed into eERL.

      All Fellows could be contacted.

   8. Ask CWIS: Can we add Google search to search all of our site?

      Can person choose log in first, not just edit after sign up? It would simplify the

      Once in browse, a search is not allowed. Could this be changed?
Notes from Golden meeting, July 7-9, 2004

       Tim: Schema seem not to be going out to NSDL. Why aren’t keywords available to
       NSDL? Which fields do not get exported to OAI?

       Be sure to let CWIS know what we add from this meeting so that it will be exported.
       Let them know keywords need to be exported.

   9. MIT resources: Beth said the MIT resources are being expanded to other research
      institutions. We need to identify the catalysts to move professors and researchers
      when it comes to environmental matters. We need to tie to tenure and promotion
      opportunities for more outreach to occur.

       Beth wants feedback from the Collection team on the usefulness of the MIT
       resources submitted to eERL.

       Harvard is an environmental leader to whom we need to tie.

       Who will do the translation from research to make the materials useful to our site?

   10. Evaluation feedback from Users: Need to add such an instrument to eERL to find
       out how useful the site is.

       We also need a way to look at search terms used by users. This would help us
       understand how to organize the search process better.

       Have a password-protected shell for a group of users to obtain web use data. We
       could look for 100 people to use the site extensively. From them we could collect
       demographic data and other data to help with the development of the Teacher’s

       Stipend for users who help test eERL?

       36 students used eERL in classroom.

       Over time, users learn how to use a site. Try to get feed back to help make the site
       more user friendly and helpful.

       Tim: Could be interesting to survey environmental grads to see if resources are
       useful and to have a focus group. Could use ATEEC’s online students.

   11. Need Recommender system

   12. Evaluation:
       Final Report needs to be done within 90 days of completion of grant (Sept. 30 end
       data of grant).

       Future testing: Clarify details and give plenty of lead time to teachers so they can
       put the process into their schedules.

   13. Need to link to DLESE to add value beyond NSDL.

Shared By: