VIEWS: 420 PAGES: 1 CATEGORY: Other POSTED ON: 7/1/2010
To celebrate the 175th anniversary of the founding of Mooresville, Indiana, in 1999 Wanda Potts, Indiana Room Librarian at Mooresville Public Library, wrote and edited a series of newspaper columns entitled "Mooresville Moments," which focused upon the local history of the town and Morgan County, Indiana.
The Times , 1999 Mooresville Moments V.A In honor of Mooresville's 175th Anniversary and the 200lhâ¨anniversary of the birth of Mooresville's founder, Samuel Moore,â¨the MooresuillgVecatur/Monrovia Times is publishing regularâ¨articles about the history of Mooresville and Moore. 100 facts about Mooresville Excerpts from "One Hundredâ¨Facts About Mooresville" from in November, 1893, Williamâ¨Sage bought the paper andâ¨changed the name to Theâ¨Mooresville Times. 10. The first steam railroadâ¨between Indianapolis andâ¨Vincennes came throughâ¨Mooresville in 1867. 11. The electric trolley, calledâ¨the Interurban Line, betweenâ¨Indianapolis and Martinsville, wasâ¨constructed in 1902 and madeâ¨the last run on Oct. 30, 1931.â¨There were 27 stops and 11â¨stations between Indianapolisâ¨and Martinsville. The Interurbanâ¨Station in Mooresville was lo- notes prepared by Miss Carrie E.â¨Scott during the centennial celÂ¬â¨ebration of Mooresville in 1924, compiled by Ralph H. Storm inâ¨1936. â 1. William Ballard is considÂ¬â¨ered the first settler in 1819. 2. Asa Bales built the first houseâ¨in Mooresville on the south sideâ¨of East Main Street near the cenÂ¬â¨ter of the block. 3. The first brick house was built by James Kelly at 18 W.â¨Main St. 4. Mooresville became incor- cated on East Harrison Street. 12. The first electric light plantâ¨was owned by Archie Calvert inâ¨1893: The residence of T.L, 6. Asa Bales was the first post- ^ ^ master. ' w,th electrlc ll9hts' porated in 1831. 5. Dr. Curtis G. Hussey wasâ¨the first physician to locate inâ¨Mooresville about 1825. n a m,iinM>h,i>n,w(,iiiipiin^ 13..The first telephone com-. by 1830 when mail was brought"' ^^^?^.March 31 from Indianapolis each weekun- ' ^ . A ; ., kg \ less detained by high water. , WvMooresvillejras the oldest J % Late in the 1820s, a brick OUSet^lptoK mJndiana. Â£ one-room school was built and eginning in 187 . later destroyed by fire. In the , 15 Hn|;1924, Mooresville's 1830s', it was rebuilt by a frame population was 1800. ;; J, house on the lot just west of the "May W6, who-are permitted : location of the Methodist Protes- to celebrate thetentennial ahnh;, tant Church (now New Life in versary of the Totinding of Christ ,Chiirch;'40 E. Washing- Moor^wUe,alwaysholdingrate-,', toli St. There was a historic ful memory the pipnders'who rharker installed during the cen- cleared the wilderness and laidâ¨tennial celebration). 1 so firiply.the foundations pf pur ' 9. The first newspaper was . town. . .V-'VW. , The Mooresville Chronicle pub- "May we continue to build lished by Thomas J. Worth from wisely, and well." , > â¢ ,1 " 1846 to 1851. After that, the / " fialph H. Storm' â name changed with new owners f ,.ty. 'iTAssistbnt Historian 23, 1936 The historical articles Or Mooresufl/eMc meriis are taken c fptp % V>
Pages to are hidden for
"Mooresville Moments: 100 Facts About Mooresville, Indiana History"Please download to view full document