Rooster Healthier Mashed Potatoes Rooster Wholesome Baked Potatoes
Keep saturated fat low and flavour high by mashing • Cheesy Baked Potatoes: Scoop out the flesh of a
potatoes with olive oil or extra virgin olive oil instead of baked potato, mash with olive oil, add grated cheese
butter or milk. Drain the cooked potatoes, then mash in and chopped chives. Re-fill the shells and heat through
the saucepan until smooth, add enough Filippo Berio Extra in the oven for10 minutes 190C/fan 170C/375F/gas 5.
Virgin Olive oil to make the potatoes creamy, season with
salt and pepper and mash again. • Baked Potatoes with Pesto: Scoop out the flesh,
mash with a little olive oil then add Pesto sauce,
• Try adding some Dijon mustard or horseradish sauce re-fill the jackets, top with a little grated cheese and
to create interesting variations to basic mashed potato. heat through in the oven for 10 minutes 190C/fan
Try red or green pesto or grated Parmesan Cheese 170C/375F/gas 5.
for a real Italian flavour.
• Baked Potatoes with Juicy Tomatoes: Chop
• Add three or four skinned cloves of garlic to the tomatoes and mix with chopped flat leaved parsley
water, they will soften during cooking and can be and basil, toss in Olive oil then use as a delicious
mashed with the potatoes and olive oil. topping for a jacket potato.
Rooster Perfect Roast Potatoes Perfect Dressing
• Delicious New Roast Potatoes: Toss new potatoes For 500g cooked new potatoes, whisk 6 tbsp extra virgin
in olive oil, add cloves of garlic from a whole bulb, olive oil with 4 tsp red wine vinegar, season and add about 3
and tuck in a few bay leaves and a few stalks of thyme. tbsp chopped fresh herbs. For a Mediterranean flavour add
the potatoes whilst still warm so they soak up the flavours.
• Spicy Roast Potatoes: Par-boil for 8 minutes, drain Additional ingredients can be added to the basic potato salad,
well, coat in olive oil then sprinkle with a mixture of
either chopped black or green olives, or for a tangy flavour a
crushed chillies and cumin seeds before roasting.
spoonful of capers and some chopped gherkins.
• Mediterranean Roast Potatoes: Coat in olive oil
• New Potatoes with a Twist: Serve with a drizzle
then scatter with fresh rosemary spikes and a
of Extra Virgin Olive oil and toasted chopped nuts
sprinkling of flaked salt before roasting.
and bacon pieces.
Delicious New Potatoes • Crushed New Potatoes: For 500g potatoes add
Bring out all the flavour of new potatoes with a light 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to the pan and crush
drizzle of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil. each potato with a fork so they break up, season.
Register Now: on www.filippoberio.co.uk
For recipes, handy tips, competitions and much
much, much more ...
Potatoes are an invaluable, flexible and convenient ingredient for a very wide
range of dishes from soups and starters, light meals, main courses and side
dishes.These recipes are all easy to prepare and of course delicious to eat.
They use a range of different types of potato and of course, Filippo Berio
Olive Oils.This selection of mouth-watering dishes has been carefully
selected to satisfy your tastebuds, your appetite and your well-being.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Mild Extra Virgin
Has a unique rich, fruity flavour and Olive Oil
complements the fresh ingredients An everyday, milder flavoured
in all your recipes making it perfect extra virgin olive oil with a
as a healthy condiment smooth delicate flavour ideal for
• Ideal for sauces, marinades the whole family
and salads • For delicately flavoured dishes
• For drizzling on all your • White fish
• Sauces or marinades
• Or dipping with bread
Olive Oil Gusto Fruttato
Expertly blended, Olive Oil is Extra Virgin Olive Oil
ideal for those who prefer a A full bodied oil makes it ideal as a
lighter taste, or in recipes more robust condiment.
requiring a softer flavour.
• For flavouring foods in place of
• Use for everyday cooking salt, pepper and vinegar
• Ideal for delicate dressings and • Brings to life salads, vegetables,
mayonnaise pasta and grilled fish, or as a
• Or use as a healthier substitute wonderful dip for crusty breads
Extra Virgin Cooking
Mild & Light & Salad Spray
Olive Oil • Perfect for dressing salads
The ultra light taste of Mild & Light • Adding flavour to barbecued
Olive Oil means it carries no trace vegetables, meats, chicken and fish
of olive flavour, so it’s perfect for all
sorts of savoury and sweet dishes. Mild & Light Frying
• Use for healthier frying – & Roasting Spray
from stir frys to fried eggs • Ideal for spraying on your food
• For savoury baking – ideal for before barbecuing to prevent the
delicious roast potatoes food from sticking
• Or for baking cakes • Ideal for corn on the cob and
and biscuits asparagus spray lightly with oil before
placing on the barbecue
SOUPS AND STARTERS
Tuscan Bean and Potato Soup
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
90ml (6tbsp) Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, skinned and chopped
2 x 400g cans cannellini beans
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1 L (1¾ pints) vegetable stock
Preparation time:25 minutes
400g (14oz) Rooster potatoes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
small bunch parsley, chopped
1 medium butternut squash approx 750g, peeled
grated Parmesan,to serve
3 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
1. Heat 4 tbsp of the oil in a large pan, add the chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
vegetables (except tomatoes) and allow them to soften over
a medium heat for about 5 minutes. 1 large carrot, chopped
1 large clove garlic, crushed
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, cook for a further 10 minutes,
stirring from time to time. 1 medium red chilli, seeded and chopped
1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
3. Meanwhile, rinse and drain the beans, put three-quarters of
them into a food processor with 300ml (½pint) of the stock. 350g (12oz) Rooster potatoes, peeled and diced
Blend until the texture is a coarse puree. 1.2 L (2 pints) vegetable stock
4. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1cm dice. Add to the pan with Coriander Oil:
the remaining stock and simmer for 10 minutes. small bunch coriander, trim off stalks
5. Add the pureed beans and reserved cannellini beans and 90ml (6 tbsp) Fillipo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
simmer for 5 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/fan180C/400F/gas 6. Cut the
6. Season if needed and stir in the parsley. Ladle into bowls butternut squash in half, discard seeds and then chop into large
drizzle over the rest of the oil and scatter over some grated chunks. Place on a roasting tray and drizzle with a tbsp of the
Parmesan cheese if wished. oil. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes until tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in a large pan, add the
onion and carrot and cook gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the
garlic, chilli and ginger and cook 5 minutes more, stirring.
Add the potatoes and stock, bring to simmer, cover the pan and
cook 15 minutes.
3. Put coriander leaves into a food processor or blender, add
the oil and blend until finely chopped, scoop out into a bowl
and wash the appliance.
4. Add roasted squash to the pan and simmer gently for 10
minutes. Cool slightly before pureeing the soup in batches,
season to taste.
5. Serve the soup in warm bowls then drizzle the coriander oil
over each serving.
Italian Potato and Bean Salad
Serves 4 Dressing: While the potatoes are cooking, put
Preparation time: 15 minutes 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin the ingredients for the dressing in a
Cooking Time: 15 minutes medium bowl and whisk together.
3. Drain the potatoes and rinse under
75g (3oz) thin green beans, 2 tsp red wine vinegar cold water, then if preferred remove
trimmed ½ tsp Dijon mustard the skins and slice thickly, add to the
350g (12oz) of salad or baby salt and pepper dressing while still warm and toss
together. Allow to cool.
potatoes,Vivaldi, Charlotte, Nicola 1. Plunge the beans into a pan of
or Maris Peer would work well boiling water, boil for 4 minutes until 4. Cut the tomatoes into quarters
crisp tender, drain and transfer to a and add to cooled potatoes. Drain
175g (6oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
bowl of cold water to cool. the beans and cut into 2.5cm (1 in)
1 very small red onion, finely sliced lengths and add to the salad with the
small handful basil leaves 2. Cook the potatoes in lightly salted red onion and shredded basil leaves.
water 12 minutes or until tender. Mix together then serve.
Cooks Tip: This salad would also
make a delicious accompaniment to
grilled chicken. Or to make it more
substantial for a light meal add some
strips of salami, or some crisply fried
cubes of bacon or pancetta.
Potatoes wedges with Hazelnut
and Red Pepper Relish
Serves 6 Relish: 1 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
Preparation time: 30 minutes 1 red pepper 90ml (6 tbsp) Filippo Berio Extra
Cooking time: 25 - 30 minutes 50g (2oz) shelled hazelnuts Virgin Olive Oil
450g (1lb) Rooster potatoes 1 small clove garlic, crushed
To serve :
2 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and
½ tsp salt roughly chopped
Italian black olives
1 tsp paprika 1 tbsp tomato puree
Cooks Tip: Left-over relish
can be used as a spread on
bruschetta or crostini then
topped with thin strips of
roasted peppers or halved
cherry tomatoes drizzled
with a little olive oil.
1. Put the red pepper on a grill rack, and place the hazelnuts in a 3. Peel the skin from pepper and discard the stalk and seeds,
small roasting tin, stand on the rack, then place under the grill. roughly chop.
Remove the hazelnuts when they are golden and set aside to
4. Put the hazelnuts into a food processor and chop finely. Add
cool, continue to grill the pepper until blackened all over.
the garlic, red pepper, tomatoes, puree, and vinegar and process
Remove and cool. Heat the oven to 200C/fan180C/400F/gas 6.
until finely chopped, while the machine is running, pour in the
2. While the pepper is grilling, cook potatoes in lightly salted Extra Virgin olive oil. Season if needed, spoon into a serving bowl.
water for 5 minutes. Drain, then cut into wedges and toss in the
5. Serve the potatoes in a bowl with the relish, some mayonnaise
olive oil. Mix the salt and paprika together then dust the potato
and olives if wished.
wedges. Place in the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Spanish Omelette with
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
90ml (6 tbsp) Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
3 onions, sliced
675g/1½ lb Rooster potatoes, peeled and
110g chorizo sausage, sliced
6 large eggs, beaten
salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the
onions and potatoes and fry for 8-10 minutes or until
tender and golden.
2. Add the chorizo and fry for 2 minutes. Shake the
pan until the onions, potatoes and chorizo form an
even layer. Drain off excess oil.
3. Beat the eggs with seasoning, pour into the pan, Potato and Leek Rosti
cover and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes Serves 4
until the eggs begin to set.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
4. Cook the omelette under a hot grill for 2 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes5 minutes
or until all the egg has set and top is brown. Serve in
600g (1lb 6oz) Rooster potatoes
wedges with rocket leaves.
1 large leek, trimmed
5-6 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp plain flour
salt and pepper
1. Leave potatoes whole, boil for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile finely slice the leek then wash to remove any grit. Heat
one tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan, add the drained leek and
cook 2-3 minutes to soften, turn into a large bowl.
3. Drain the potatoes, rinse in cold water and drain again. Coarsely
grate into the bowl, being careful with your fingers. Add the flour and
toss with the leeks.
4. Add the egg, and seasoning and mix well.
5. Re-heat the frying pan, add 3 tbsp of the oil then drop tablespoons of
the potato mixture into the pan, flattening to even rounds. Cook over a
moderate heat for 4-5 minutes until the underside is deep golden
brown, carefully turn the rosti and cook again until browned. Lift out of
the pan and keep warm while cooking the rest of the mixture, adding
more olive oil as needed. Serve hot.
Serves 4 1. Cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces then then cook in lightly salted water,
Preparation time: 30 minutes about 15 minutes until tender, drain very well.
Cooking time: 10 minutes 2. While the potatoes are cooking prepare the watercress pesto. Trim stalks from
900g (2lb) Rooster Potatoes, peeled watercress, dry on kitchen paper. Reserve a few sprigs for garnish, then put the rest
into a food processor with the garlic, salt and walnuts and pulse until finely chopped.
200g (7oz) plain flour Add the oil and cheeses and give a quick whizz until blended.
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
3. Drain the potatoes very well then push through a potato ricer into a bowl, as the
salt mash needs to be completely lump-free and have a dry texture. Add the flour and
Watercress Pesto: egg with seasoning and work with a fork to form a smooth, soft dough.
1 bunch watercress 4. With floured hands take a piece of the dough and roll it into a roll about 2cm
2 cloves garlic (¾ in) in diameter, then place on a floured surface and cut into 2cm (3/4 in) lengths.
1 tsp coarse sea salt Gently press one side with a fork to make a ridged surface. Place the gnocchi on a
floured tray until ready to cook.
40g (1½oz) shelled walnuts
90ml (6 tbsp) Filippo Berio Extra Virgin 5. When all the dough has been shaped, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
Gently add the gnocchi, and poach a few at a time for 2-3 minutes, as they rise to the
surface remove with a slotted spoon and drain. Slide them into a hot serving dish.
25g (1oz) grated Parmesan cheese
6. Add the prepared pesto to the gnocchi and mix together, serve scattered with
1 tbsp soft goat’s cheese
Parmesan cheese and the reserved watercress leaves.
To serve :
Potato Gnocchi with
cheese, freshly grated or shaved
Potato 500g (1lb 2oz) Rooster potatoes, peeled
3 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
200g can chopped tomatoes
large pinch sugar
75g (3oz) self-raising flour 1 tbsp chopped parsley
extra olive oil for brushing 1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced
Topping: 175g (6oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
Serves 4 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil 150g ball mozzarella cheese, drained
Preparation time: 15 minutes 1 medium onion, finely chopped and diced
Cooking time: 45 minutes 1 clove garlic, crushed a few basil leaves
1. Cook potatoes in lightly salted water for about 15 minutes 4. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and sugar and simmer for
until tender. Heat the oven to 200C/fan180C/400F/gas 6. 5 minutes or until thickened. Season then add the parsley.
2. Drain potatoes then return to the pan, add the olive oil and 5. Put the diced pepper and halved tomatoes into a bowl, add the
mash. Add the flour and mix to form a dough. Turn onto an remaining tablespoons oil and some seasoning, toss together.
oiled baking sheet and press out to an even round about 25cm
6. Take the pizza base out of the oven and spread the sauce over,
(10in). Brush the top with oil then bake in the oven for 15
add diced cheese, pepper and tomatoes with juices and oil.
minutes until the edge of the pizza begins to crisp.
7. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Scatter with
3. While the base is cooking, prepare the tomato sauce, heat
torn basil leaves and serve.
2 tablespoons of the oil in a small frying pan, add the onion and
garlic and cook over a medium heat until soft.
Saffron Potato Topped Cod
Serves 4 1. Heat the oven to 220C/fan200C/425F/gas 7.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
2. Cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces and cook in lightly
Cooking time: 25 minutes salted water for 15 minutes, or until tender.
550g (1lb 4oz) Rooster potatoes, peeled 3. Meanwhile, finely slice the spring onions and cook in the oil
10 spring onions, trimmed for 2-3 minutes to soften. Warm the milk and add the saffron
4 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive oil threads, set aside to soak.
90ml (6 tbsp) milk 4. Drain the potatoes and mash in the saucepan, strain the milk
good pinch saffron threads into the pan and add the spring onions and oil. Season with salt
and pepper and beat together.
4 portions cod loin approx 200g (7oz) each
5. Place the cod portions on an oiled roasting tin, season then
spread the potato over the top of each.
6. Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes until the fish is
tender and the potato is golden. Serve with green vegetables.
Serves 4 heat 4-5 minutes, turning until lightly browned.
Preparation time : 20 minutes 3. Pour in the wine, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for
Cooking time: 40 minutes 2 minutes.
6 large skinless chicken thighs, boned (approx 500g) 4. Add the remaining oil, the potato chunks and onions. Stir, so
5 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil all the ingredients are coated in olive oil, pour over the stock.
Chop about 1 tsp of rosemary spikes then scatter over the
150ml (5fl oz) dry white wine
dish, adding a little salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
450g (1lb) medium sized Rooster potatoes, scrubbed
5. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, turn the ingredients over
and cut into chunks
and bake a further 20 minutes. Add a few sprigs of fresh
3 medium red onions, cut into thick wedges rosemary to garnish.
1 large sprig rosemary
6. Serve with a green vegetable such as broccoli, spinach or
120ml (4fl oz) chicken or vegetable stock green beans.
flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 200C/fan180C/400F/gas 6.
2. Cut the chicken thighs into large chunks.
Heat a large flameproof dish with
3 tbsp of the oil. Add the chicken
and cook over a medium
Baked Chicken with Potatoes
and Red Onions
Serves 4 90ml (6 tbsp) Filippo Berio Olive Oil 100g (3½oz) feta cheese
Preparation time: 20 minutes 2 medium red onions, thickly sliced 1 large egg, beaten
Cooking time:1 hour 2 cloves garlic, crushed 150ml (5fl oz) Greek styled
450g (1lb)of potatoes,Vivaldi, Charlotte 400g can chopped tomatoes yogurt
or Nicola would work well 2 tbsp tomato puree 25g (1oz) freshly grated
1 large aubergine large pinch sugar Parmesan cheese
2 medium courgettes ½ tsp dried oregano
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220C/fan200C/425F/gas 7. Thinly 4. Take the roast vegetables from the oven and reduce the
slice potatoes, put into a pan with boiling water and cook temperature to 190C/fan170C/375F/gas 5.
for 5 minutes. Slice the aubergine and courgettes 5mm
5. Transfer half of the vegetables to a 1.7L (3 pint)
(¼ in) thick, place on a large roasting tray.
ovenproof dish, spoon over half of the tomato sauce ,
2. Drain the potatoes, add to the tray and pour over 4 tbsp crumble over the feta cheese. Add the rest of the
of the olive oil, toss together and season. Place in the oven vegetables and tomato sauce.
and roast for 15 minutes. Add the sliced onions, turn the
6. Mix the egg with the yogurt and Parmesan cheese, spoon
vegetables over and cook a further 10 minutes.
over the top, then bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is
3. While the vegetables are roasting, heat the remaining oil golden. Stand for 4-5 minutes before serving with a crisp
in a medium frying pan, add the garlic and cook for about green salad.
30 seconds, then stir in the tomatoes, add the tomato
puree, sugar and oregano and boil for 5 minutes, stirring
until thick, remove from the heat and season.
Linguini with 1. Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a small frying pan, add the
pinenuts and cook over a medium heat until golden. Set aside.
Potatoes and 2. Pour the rest of the oil into a bowl, add the lemon zest and
juice, season with salt and pepper and whisk together.
3. Cut potatoes into 1.5cm cubes. Plunge into a large pan of
boiling salted water. Boil for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the
broccoli into small florets and shred the basil leaves to give
about 3 tbsp.
Serves 2 4. Add the pasta to the pan and stir until it has softened,
Preparation time: 10 minutes continue to boil for 4 minutes. Add the florets to the pan,
Cooking time: 12 minutes continue to cook for 3-4 minutes by which time the potatoes
and broccoli will be tender and the pasta al dente.
5 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5. Drain the pasta and vegetables, return to the pan, add the
grated zest and juice ½ large lemon
pine nuts, olive oil dressing and basil and toss together, don’t
2 tbsp pine nuts worry if the potatoes break up a little.
2 medium potatoes,Vivaldi, Charlotte or Nicola
6. Serve on warmed plates with Parmesan cheese
would work well to scatter over as desired.
200g (7oz) dried linguine
225g (8oz) broccoli
large handful basil leaves
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 – 35 minutes
900g (2lb) even-sized Rooster potatoes
90ml (6tbsp) Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
2 unpeeled cloves garlic (optional)
3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)
sea salt and ground black pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 220C/fan200C/425F/gas 7.
2. Cut potatoes into even, bite-sized wedges and place in a
roasting tin. Drizzle over oil and toss together until potatoes
are evenly coated in oil.
3. Add garlic cloves and rosemary (if using) and bake for 30-35
minutes, stirring once until crisp and golden.
Potatoes Lyonnaise 4. Sprinkle with plenty of sea salt and black pepper just
Serves 4-6 before serving.
Preparation time:20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
900g (2lb) Vivaldi, Charlotte or Nicola would work well
3 medium onions, very thinly sliced
150ml (5fl oz) vegetable stock
120ml (4 fl oz) Filippo Berio Olive Oil
salt and pepper
1. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, place a layer in the bottom
of an ovenproof dish.
2. Scatter over a third of the onions and drizzle with olive oil.
Repeat the layers ending with a layer of potatoes.
3. Pour over the stock and cook in oven 190C/fan170C/375F/
gas 5 for 45 minutes until the potatoes are tender and golden.
Baked Potato 1.Pre-heat the oven to 200C/fan180C/
400F/gas 6. Prick the potato skins all over
with a fork. Rub plenty of oil over the
Preparation time: 5 mins
skins then rub in a little sea salt. Bake on a
Cooking Time: 1hr – 1hr 10 mins baking tray for 1hr –1 hr 10mins or until
4 large baking Rooster potatoes the flesh is tender.
Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2. Cut a cross in the top of each potato
sea salt and use a fork to fluff up the potato. Add a
good drizzle of oil and fluff up again. Serve
immediately with plenty of freshly ground
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
900g (2lb) Rooster
90ml (6 tbsp)
Filippo Berio Olive
6-8 cloves garlic,
1. Pre-heat the oven
/400F/gas 6 and put a large roasting tin in the oven to heat.
2. Cut the potatoes into large, even chunks. Boil in salted
water for 5 minutes. drain, return to the pan, cover with the
lid and shake the pan to roughen up the edges. Set aside.
Sauteed Potatoes with
3. Add the oil to the roasting tin and return to the oven for 2
minutes. Tip the potatoes into the hot oil, then turn to coat in Mustard Seeds
oil. Roast for 30 minutes. Turn over the potatoes, add the garlic
cloves and roast for a further 25-30 minutes or until crisp and
golden. Serve immediately. Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time:20 minutes
600g (1lb 6oz) large Rooster potatoes
Classic Handcut Chips 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
Serves 4 1 small onion, finely chopped
Preparation time:10 minutes 2 small cloves garlic, crushed
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes 4 tsp brown mustard seeds
900g (2lb) Rooster potatoes, peeled flaked salt
Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil for deep frying 1. If preferred the potatoes can be finely peeled or the skins
can be removed once cooked. Boil the potatoes for 10-12
1. Half fill a large deep pan or deep fat fryer with the oil and
minutes until just tender.
heat to 160C/325F. Cut the potatoes into chips about 1cm/½
inch in thickness. Rinse in cold water, drain then pat dry on 2. Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a small frying pan and
kitchen paper. cook the onion over a moderate heat until softened and golden.
2. Deep fry about a quarter of the chips for about 5 mins or 3. Add the garlic and mustard seeds, cook for 1-2 minutes,
until they are very pale golden. Remove from the hot oil and stirring, until the mustard seeds start to pop. Remove from the
drain on kitchen paper. heat and set aside.
Fry remainder in
4. Drain the potatoes and slice thickly.
5. Heat the rest of the oil in a very large frying pan, add the
3. Increase the
potato slices in a single layer, if the pan is not large enough cook
temperature of the oil
in two batches, keeping the first batch hot in the oven.
to 190C/375F. Re-fry
the chips in batches 6. Fry the potato slices over a moderately hot temperature for
for about 1 minute or 5-7 minutes turning them until crisp and golden on each side.
until they turn golden Lift the sauteed potatoes onto kitchen paper to drain, turn into
brown and crisp. Drain a warm bowl, add the onion mixture and toss together. Crush
well and serve. some flaked salt over and serve.
Rooster Potatoes has teamed up with Filippo Berio
to offer one lucky reader the chance to win a real
live Italian Chef for an evening, together with a
fabulous selection of Filippo Berio Olive Oils and a
year’s supply of tasty Rooster Potatoes.
Danilo Trozzi, Filippo Berio’s talented Head Chef,
will visit the winner’s home and prepare and
serve a superb authentic Mediterranean 4-course
meal for six plus wine at your dining table.
5 runners up will also each win a mixed case of
Filippo Berio Olive Oil and a year’s supply of
To enter this mouth-watering competition,
simply visit www.filippoberio.co.uk ,
click on “Competitions” and register the
unique competition code ROOSTER.
“ Sit back and enjoy
yourself while I take
care of everything ”
Winners will be drawn by 30th November 2008. Full terms and conditions apply. See details on the website.